Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

quote:

Welcome players to this exciting adventure, where terror and despair will sink into every fiber of your being.

I mean this just sounds like my everyday life tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cyberia posted:

This thing looks super weird: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andromedathegame/andromeda-the-game/description

It's a generic sci-fi / cyberpunk RPG and a board game that somehow go together and also have a 3-CD soundtrack? Is there any chance this thing could end up actually being made or is it just some crazy pipedream? I'm almost tempted to back it to see what comes of it.

I can't wait to roll up a mantis chipped sanguinemorph junkie

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I can't wait to roll up a mantis chipped sanguinemorph junkie

I'm going to take a nap on the Red Sofa.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
http://adamjury.com/2017/5ive-on-friday-kickstarter-warning-signs/

Good article from one of the main people behind Posthuman Studios (Eclipse Phase) about warning signs for bad Kickstarters.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

7th Continent's 2nd edition/reprint is on KS as of today. I'm interested but will not likely be backing due to the price and time involved in actually playing it.

I remember when the first Kickstarter came about, I decided against backing it because it looked to have nearly no replayability since every time you start it'd be in the same place and the cards would lay out the same way so the exploration was more Choose Your Own Adventure on a board than an actual game. Gloomhaven's first printing was around the time too as well.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

clockworkjoe posted:

http://adamjury.com/2017/5ive-on-friday-kickstarter-warning-signs/

Good article from one of the main people behind Posthuman Studios (Eclipse Phase) about warning signs for bad Kickstarters.

I agree with the last 4 way more than the first one. I don't see a Kickstarter with a first-timer that has not backed other Kickstarters as a warning sign in-and-of-itself, but the others sure are.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

I agree with the last 4 way more than the first one. I don't see a Kickstarter with a first-timer that has not backed other Kickstarters as a warning sign in-and-of-itself, but the others sure are.

I get where they're going with that first one, it's an indicator that the account may be a throwaway.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Liquid Communism posted:

I get where they're going with that first one, it's an indicator that the account may be a throwaway.

If not a throwaway, then someone who has little idea of what a well-run kickstarter even looks like.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I was thinking more scammers than idiots, but both are likely true.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It might also be that they back with their personal account and want to launch the project with an organization account.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It's not as predictive as other things, but "newly created account Steve from Idaho wants you to give him $5000" should definitely give one pause.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Frank Mentzer is kickstarting a generic fantasy world with a bunch of names on it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/extsr/frank-mentzers-empyrea-fantasy-setting-for-10-rpg/rewards

The funding goal is....not good. And the reward levels are silly.

quote:

Imagine a game world that we all share, and one that you can shape. All subscribers can add their own designs to the official Worlds of Empyrea—realms that are mostly empty, waiting for you.

This is not inspiring me to drop $100 on it.

Also

quote:

Pledge $400+ and get Free Shipping!

lol

edit: jeez VTT maps are an add on.

alg fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 2, 2017

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I don't think that Mentzer KS contravenes any of the five points mentioned in that article, but somehow I think it's going to crash and burn anyway.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

alg posted:

Frank Mentzer is kickstarting a generic fantasy world with a bunch of names on it.
250 grand? Wow.

That's ... definitely a goal, I can say that much.

Of course, the really cheap-looking 90's style header graphic, the terrible art, and the pretension are just icing on the cake.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Maps by Darlene is triggering my nostalgia gland something fierce.

Everything else about this looks like a trainwreck, though. Hard pass.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FMguru posted:

Maps by Darlene is triggering my nostalgia gland something fierce.

Everything else about this looks like a trainwreck, though. Hard pass.

Yeah I need the part of my brain that wants the Darlene map on my wall to STFU. Even if I printed my own, the cheapest level that has the PDF is $50. Maaaan.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Reading that over makes me sad. He clearly doesn't understand how the market's changed, nor how his name doesn't quite have the cachet it once did.

If the PDF level were cheaper, I might back for nostalgia's sake, but with that goal there really isn't much point.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Falstaff posted:

Reading that over makes me sad. He clearly doesn't understand how the market's changed, nor how his name doesn't quite have the cachet it once did.

If the PDF level were cheaper, I might back for nostalgia's sake, but with that goal there really isn't much point.

I guess it depends how much pull the OSR has, since this'll be catnip to them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Falstaff posted:

yea it's kinda like a washed up rock star still charging out the rear end for a tour or something. I really can't say he's not great but...no one really s gonna want to pay that much for a guy who hasn't been relevant to the conversation in ages when his selling point is mainly 'hey...I'm that guy...that's right...that guy'. If it were cheaper it'd totally be worth a nostalgia back but 50 for the pdfs and triple digits for physical stuff is just kinda...bleh.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Falstaff posted:

Arivia posted:

Maybe Mentzer has done his homework and is attempting to pull a Monte Cook on the OSR: put out a massively overpriced box of vague whatevers with all the right buzzwords attached to it and trust that your fan base is devoted enough to buy you a second house with the proceeds.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

One of the things that blows my mind about Invisible Sun is gating the playtest to an expensive backer level. More playtesting is always good as a foundation to a new ruleset, and if all the props are important people will buy your crazy box regardless if rules leak to the uninitiated.

Man is selling a plastic hand for $25 bucks so what do I know.

loving Testament of Suns.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So far he's cruising along at ... 6.5% of his funding goal.

A goal like that, if you don't basically hit it or get within striking distance on your first day, it's time to wrap it up and re-think.

e: I mean, it has names attached to it, but I am still really, really unclear why anyone would choose this setting for anything. What's cool about it? What do you need a system guide for?

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 2, 2017

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

this is the project Frank was threatening people over.

http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2017/09/the-pm-that-got-frank-mentzer-banned.html

Even as an OSR junkie the only thing I would want is a Darlene map, and that's too expensive. The main project is so vague and generic.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, there's really no information on the setting at all, is there? Like, what's it about? What's the feel of it? The themes? The basic idea?

More importantly: do we, as a hobby, as an industry, and as a species, really need another generic fantasy setting at this point?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

There was already a rather ugly break-up between Mentzer and the Dragonsfoot forum, so I'm not holding out much hope

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

do we, as a hobby, as an industry, and as a species, really need another generic fantasy setting at this point?

No.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, there's really no information on the setting at all, is there? Like, what's it about? What's the feel of it? The themes? The basic idea?

More importantly: do we, as a hobby, as an industry, and as a species, really need another generic fantasy setting at this point?

Isn't it vaguely part of Greyhawk? I seem to recall reading that somewhere. So it's very definitely kitchen-sink fantasy.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

I found a little bit, but it's in one of the ugly images for some reason, rather than in the text itself.

And it's still not enough to know what it's about.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Fifty bucks is the entry point to get anything at all from it, that's mad. If you got the map pdfs for $10 I'd back, but it's cray right now.

https://gmshoe.wordpress.com/2017/09/29/qa-frank-mentzer-ted-fauster-worlds-of-empyrea/ has some fanboying over it.

quote:

the basic setting is Average Fantasy. We don’t go into ANY extremes, because it has to work for everybody. YOU can go to extremes, whatever trips your trigger…. but I have to start easy, vanilla

It's explicitly Boring Fantasy.

quote:

In the cities, communal latrines are normal, habitual, and actually mandated. [...] Because of mass sanitary systems that route it all out of town to a field where magic detoxifies it, and dries it. The farmers collect the free fertilizer and the eco-wheel goes ’round and ’round.

gently caress yeah this is the kind of fantasy setting detail I've been waiting for for 30 years

quote:

The Old One is the BBG, and he’s off down south somewhere in the Deepwood, raising armies. He don’ like this Empyrea thing too much. And the Dragons are about to get uppity and band together as a Race (!), orcs have been working toward civilization but have a long way to go (regular interaction), the squids rule the seas, and more and more. [...]
All details of the old one, however, are strictly top secret throughout this set. His identity is revealed in part 2 of the story.

METAPLOT!

quote:

I forgot to mention that Gary Gygax and I planned to publish all this back at TSR, but he got ousted and it all dumped. [...] We’ll include the TSR memo (Dec 12 1982) in which he approves this in his own handwriting.[...] I get along great with the Gygax family and have no wish or need to capitalize on an old friendship, however germane it may be.

Yes yes nothing about this KS is anything to do with exploiting your old friendships at all.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

This doesn't seem to be getting nearly enough attention, y'all need to read this PM because it's fuckin hilarious. "You bumbling Zero-level clod. Int 7 (barely enough to babble) and Wis 1." Satire really is dead.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

alg posted:

this is the project Frank was threatening people over.

http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2017/09/the-pm-that-got-frank-mentzer-banned.html

Even as an OSR junkie the only thing I would want is a Darlene map, and that's too expensive. The main project is so vague and generic.

OH. MY. GOD. That PM! Holy sheeeeeeeeet. Hahahahahahhaaha.

YOU BUMBLING THERO LEVEL CLODTH

Edit: Oh, Mentzer is in the comments over there going UH I GOT HACKED? YEAH!

Megazver fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 2, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TG Kickstarter Thread Onslaught 3: You bumbling zero-level clod

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kai Tave posted:

This doesn't seem to be getting nearly enough attention, y'all need to read this PM because it's fuckin hilarious. "You bumbling Zero-level clod. Int 7 (barely enough to babble) and Wis 1." Satire really is dead.

All because he was named... EotB? I feel like I'm missing something here.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Antivehicular posted:

All because he was named... EotB? I feel like I'm missing something here.
I assume they'd butted heads over something (like early TSR history or how people really played D&D back in the day) and Mentzer blew his top and sent that email.

LOL a grown-rear end man saying "If I ever find out your Realname you'll have trouble registering for conventions or even buying game stuff by mail". I can just see Noble Knight or Indie Press Revolution or Warehouse23 (or, y'know, Amazon) cancelling someone's order and refunding their credit card because Frank Mentzer told them to.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Ten systems, huh? :raise:

I have to think anybody looking to do more than oh, two systems may as well just make it a systemless worldbook. If a designer cares so little about what system people play the game in, they may as well go all the way and just forget about it.

Maybe I don't have enough levels to understand, tho.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

TG Kickstarter Thread Onslaught 3: You bumbling zero-level clod

Make it happen, Ettin.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"I will write you into the story..."

This is some Egg of Coot level embarrassing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In 14 languages, on 3 continents.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

xiw posted:

Fifty bucks is the entry point to get anything at all from it, that's mad. If you got the map pdfs for $10 I'd back, but it's cray right now.

Man, that is depressing on a lot of levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So this is technically a video game, but very TG. A Doomtroopers Digital CCG.