Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Hey lets go to motorkhana!

Hmmm hell yes this thing handbrake turns like a champ and handles and..... wait WTF the clutch pedal is on the floor......?

Slaave cylinder not even CLOSE to the clutch fork. Well...... pull out charred remains fo fork boot (WTF) and .....

Ummmm..... yeah whatever exploded in there did a good job. 60kms drive back home without a clutch aint fun but back home and gearbox out in two weeks time. poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
If you stopped just using cars they would break less often. Back on your bike sunshine :v:
Seriously though, sucks to read more bad luck.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
you gotta stop buying your Subarus from that old indian burial ground mister

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

slothrop posted:

you gotta stop buying your Subarus from that old indian burial ground mister

Aboriginal, he's in Australia.

Which car's clutch died?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The yellow one.

I slightly suspect that there was a lot of previous owner abuse that lead to this..

slothrop posted:

you gotta stop buying your Subarus from that old indegionous(sp) burial ground mister

I fix the power steering on the Liberty, bloody thing starts to try to overheat again. What. The gently caress. Like literally there was no problems but as soon as I fix the steering BAM.

Basically after a freeway 110kph run for over a half hour, as soon as you drop speed to 60 kph the temperature rises and I find it's blown about 500mm too much water intot he overflow. Never overheats in traffic for hours or slowish speeds. I do not understand this one at all .... and no, the headgaskets on this motor are fine. Really pisses me off not just because I cant find the reason and it doesnt make sense but this is supposed to be my reliable car.

So far that old Forester has been the actual go to reliable driver. Like the 18 year old 365,000km toaster just runs. Yeeeesh.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ooookay so I think I know what I want to do with the wagon.

STI widebody. I now know exactly what parts I need - ore to the point I know where to get them - it's not exactly an unknown conversion so the difference here will be how I widebody the wagon. There's not a lot of them - there's a few attempts to do 22B 3 door style conversions that dont quite seem to ever really work and also bolt on flares. The reason why the GF8 widebody attempts dont work is that no real established widebody kit just goes straight on. The fact that the USA and UK got coupe's means you have a farily straightforward starting base - also a 4 door to 2 door conversion is a resonably well known project by now.

I am picking up an interesting thing tomorrow tho.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oooooh, whats this?

Now this is rather rare.... a v3 STI rear hatch whale tail setup. Didnt even know it existed till last week - and yeah the whale tail is considerably bigger than a stock WRX wagon wing.

Also - GD front arms and STI steering rack. All to go on the wagon.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I take it sticker removal will be part of the process?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I take it sticker removal will be part of the process?

Just slightly.

Tho.... shopping chopping wagon kinda does tickle me. I'm pretty sure those badges can be removed easily but of course I wont do that. The badges are cool

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ichiban Stickers

Buying direct from Mechanical Stig now?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

Buying direct from Mechanical Stig now?

Ben left Ichibarn a while ago - his business is called https://www.facebook.com/Bennyscustomworks/ Benny's Custom Works and yes I most certainly do buy off him :) (I've known Ben for...ummm... poo poo over ten years now? I've met and talked poo poo with Marty a few times years ago as well - we're ummm.... talking to Ben currently about ***CENSORED***).

Altho I also buy off Ichibarn as well, it's a rare drat good shop. The parts came from the personal stash of one of the mechanics.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

When I was shopping for my 180 I nearly bought a jdm gc8 sti wagon. It's black, private import.

If you ever see it around for sale let me know because gently caress I wanted that car so bad.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Lol theres a clear sign another car is coming and you all missed it.

Oh wait theres always another car coming :/

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

theres always another car coming :/

Thread title

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

"New" boots for the yellow WRX

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ummmm.... link? This I gotta see

HT Autos was the kit that I knew about. Can't seem to find it on their website anymore. Might be worth an email.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just slightly.

Tho.... shopping chopping wagon kinda does tickle me. I'm pretty sure those badges can be removed easily but of course I wont do that. The badges are cool

Theres only one other badge thats funnier than that one that I saw today at the Adelaide MCM meet

Its an auto too.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Holy poo poo I need a GROCERY HUNTERS banner right now

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Hahhaha holy poo poo I want that as well

No cars this weekend. Abusing myself with triathlon... maybe KB can chip in instead with VR4 rewiring

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Parts run for the wagon.

Annnd....

*sigh*

Seriously, I need loving help .... *Insert thread title here*

Someome tried to pass this off as an STI and hid the fact it's a bugeye WRX resonably well. The engine was a proper STI so ....dunno. The Brembo setup is also R160 / 100 PCD - Straight out drop in for a GC. Gearbo seems to be a JDM 4.444 that normally Aust cars didnt get. Rear wing when it was there was a genuine STI wing. Pretty obvious what I want off this one

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 9, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Uncle Cat Terrists Terrible Subaru Addiction

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
At the moment I'm looking at a TIG as I also need to fix the very mangled sumpguard....

MRS Ballistik approved straight away.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
TIG is fun besides.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh why do I even what am I doing, Bugeye accquired. I was right, it's NOT a real STI, it's one that someone has done transplants on - This will be a quick strip for parts and send the bodyshell for scrap. I could NOT pass up the Brembo and gearbox setup.

Going to the red wagon of course.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh God Why I Even WHAT THE gently caress DID I JUST BUY???????????

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

...a Subaru?

Just guessing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
A Mitsubishi?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ford Falcon

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LS-swapped FD.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

HandlingByJebus posted:

...a Subaru?

Just guessing.

Maaaaybe?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
That better be a 500 :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fo3 posted:

That better be a 500 :v:

I LIED

We bought THIS

600 bucks, organising to go into the workshop I havent talked about yet.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 14, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

And ummmm yeah I did buy another Subaru

And no that's not a fakeout. That really is my new car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 14, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My question is why isn't it in my driveway?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I thought we hated CVTs

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
are those things CVT only? I'm guessing it's not as awful as I've heard given you've spent money on one.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Don Dongington posted:

I thought we hated CVTs

CVTs are actually the best transmission out there.

Best as in F1 actually has banned them for being too good (like time saves on the order of 1-2 seconds per LAP). Their weakness is... they're weak (as in they probably wouldn't be able to handle an F1 engine's level of power).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Levorg doesn't seem like it's a whole lot smaller than the Legacy/Liberty/Outback.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, I want a Levorg :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I love the irony I'm tearing CVT's a new one in another thread.... and yes I really did get a car with one. I'm just as surprised as anyone.

iospace posted:

CVTs are actually the best transmission out there.

Oh god no. No where even CLOSE.

slothrop posted:

are those things CVT only? I'm guessing it's not as awful as I've heard given you've spent money on one.

This is going to take a lot of explaination....... yes they are. But we have a specific circumstance the CVT is programmed to not suck. TL:DR post incoming next

Charles posted:

The Levorg doesn't seem like it's a whole lot smaller than the Legacy/Liberty/Outback.

Not much bigger than a Gen 4.

This was NOT the car I went in to buy. Not by a looooong shot