Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Could anyone recommend a decent interface that works well with the Mac mini? I'm newish to this so any advice would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Could anyone recommend a decent interface that works well with the Mac mini? I'm newish to this so any advice would be appreciated.

I've been using a Focusrite 2i4 for a couple of years with mine with almost no problems.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

What's your budget and what are your requirements?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Budget is probably under $400 and all I need is enough input for a few mics.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Right on. Within that price range, definitely one of the Focusrites would be a great way to go. There are other things out there with more bells and whistles, but Focusrite gear is way more reliable than most of those options and the preamps sound really nice as well.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Awesome thanks. I'll check their site.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Looking to upgrade from my 2i2 to something with at least 6 inputs.

The Keith McMillen K-Mix is tempting but a little $. Apparently the pre-amps are gorgeous though. What other contenders are out there and what are the goon thoughts?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
My old Alesis io|14 has an input channel (I mean all of them; might be a driver thing but it's unsupported these days) that works less often than not these days. I would like to maintain more than 4 inputs (generally mic + everything from my rack DI box) into my PC.

I think I'm looking mostly at the Tascam 16x8 and the Zoom R16. The R16 is appealing since it would also do some work as a standalone mixer and seems like it would give me a lot of flexibility, but it's more than I set out to spend. Anyhow, it might be worth it for the amount of time I'll hopefully use it. I haven't really been looking at gear or buying gear in a long while though, so I'd appreciate any other recommendations that I should consider.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

khysanth posted:

Looking to upgrade from my 2i2 to something with at least 6 inputs.

The Keith McMillen K-Mix is tempting but a little $. Apparently the pre-amps are gorgeous though. What other contenders are out there and what are the goon thoughts?

I'm in the same predicament. Suggestions please!

I like the look of the Akai EIE Pro, but 6 inputs would be even better.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Plavski posted:

I ended up getting the K-Mix. Nothing else was even close to comparable at that price. Tons of other features other than just being an audio interface.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Plavski posted:

I have the Akai EIE Pro, I'm not sure I can recommend it. It's a cool design with a lot of useful features (the monitoring knob is super useful while tracking), but I get noise from it, it's not built as sturdy as advertised, and while I haven't had this problem, a lot of people find it unusable because the drivers are glitchy. That said, I've had mine for a few years and managed to do some cool stuff with it, but I am also in the same boat of looking for something new with more ins/outs.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I upgraded from a Scarlett 2i2 to a Scarlett 18i8 and have been loving it so far. It has 4 main inputs on the front that are XLR / 1/4" compatible and then SPDIF on the back with MIDI In/Out as well. The sound quality is great, the preamps sound good, and the ONLY thing I would have liked is two more inputs on the front, but the 18i8 is extendable with SPDIF so even though I am getting to the point where 4 inputs is getting cramped, I have options where I don't need to replace the 18i8.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have a question for anyone who has used a Scarlett 18i8. Is there an easy way to connect 2 sets of monitors to the interface so that I can switch back and forth during an Ableton session? I noticed that the 6i6 actually has two sets of outputs, where it appears the 18i8 has only one dedicated set of monitor outputs. Next to the monitor inputs on the 18i8, there are 4 stereo line inputs and I was wondering what these are typically used for? Thanks a lot!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

MrSargent posted:

I have a question for anyone who has used a Scarlett 18i8. Is there an easy way to connect 2 sets of monitors to the interface so that I can switch back and forth during an Ableton session? I noticed that the 6i6 actually has two sets of outputs, where it appears the 18i8 has only one dedicated set of monitor outputs. Next to the monitor inputs on the 18i8, there are 4 stereo line inputs and I was wondering what these are typically used for? Thanks a lot!
You'll want some sort of switch along these lines, unless you're dead set on being able to use both sets of monitors simultaneously. It would be very cheap to make one yourself if you don't care about the extra features this one has. They are hard to find in a neat package as just a line level switch for what they should cost.

You could go ghetto and dedicate one of your headphone outputs to the second pair of monitors though.

The line inputs on the back of your audio interface can be used to connect the output of a mixer to, or some keyboards, synthesizers or whatever instrument or device outputs at line level really. Like extra microphone preamps. Or a (radio) tuner or dj cd player. Some guitar amps with built in effects might also have a line out.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

You'll want some sort of switch along these lines, unless you're dead set on being able to use both sets of monitors simultaneously. It would be very cheap to make one yourself if you don't care about the extra features this one has. They are hard to find in a neat package as just a line level switch for what they should cost.

You could go ghetto and dedicate one of your headphone outputs to the second pair of monitors though.

The line inputs on the back of your audio interface can be used to connect the output of a mixer to, or some keyboards, synthesizers or whatever instrument or device outputs at line level really. Like extra microphone preamps. Or a (radio) tuner or dj cd player. Some guitar amps with built in effects might also have a line out.

Thank you so much, this helps a ton. I think I will go with that one you linked since I have a GC gift card I can use. I have Rokit 6's that sit on stands but wanted to set up my Yamaha HS5's on my desk for the flat response (near-field). Probably need to get some sort of material for them to sit on to avoid vibrations.

As for the line inputs, I have never used them and have been just plugging in the front 4 inputs. I feel like the ones in the back would be perfect for my Minilogue and TR-8. Would free up the front for mics/guitars. Will need to figure out how to set them up in Ableton.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 12, 2017

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

ChickenArise posted:

My old Alesis io|14 has an input channel (I mean all of them; might be a driver thing but it's unsupported these days) that works less often than not these days. I would like to maintain more than 4 inputs (generally mic + everything from my rack DI box) into my PC.

I think I'm looking mostly at the Tascam 16x8 and the Zoom R16. The R16 is appealing since it would also do some work as a standalone mixer and seems like it would give me a lot of flexibility, but it's more than I set out to spend. Anyhow, it might be worth it for the amount of time I'll hopefully use it. I haven't really been looking at gear or buying gear in a long while though, so I'd appreciate any other recommendations that I should consider.

I got the Zoom R16. It's great. The only thing I miss is having a MIDI interface built-in, but ultimately that means I just need to not run everything on separated global MIDI channels. :effort:

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Hello! I am and idiot who needs help with what sort of interface I need (if I need one at all).

So for a while I've been learning to play the piano on my Kawai CN25 digital piano, and now would like to start producing all sorts of different music with it if possible. I would like to produce with Cubase as I need virtual instruments to be able to create the sounds I want. I would like to listen to myself play with headphones as I record on Cubase.

It is very much a digital piano and not a keyboard in that all it really does it output the sound of a grand piano and not much else. It does however have a USB port, along with MIDI in and out ports.

So how should I go about setting this up? Do I use the MIDI ports or the USB ports? If USB, does that mean I don't need an interface with MIDI? What happens if I just plug the digital piano straight into my PC via USB without an interface? Would that create latency?

Sorry if my question isn't clear, I know nothing about music production.

E: I've done some more digging and it would seem the key to my questions is whether or not my digital piano can output MIDI data through the USB port. If it can then I should not need an interface. Have I got that right?

krampster2 fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 17, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

You can use the usb port for midi. You do not need to use the din midi connectors and do not need to have them on your audio interface. There will be latency when playing virtual instruments or routing audio input back to audio output if you don't have an audio interface that has low-latency drivers. The headphone output of the audio interface is where you'd plug your headphones into when listening to anything but the onboard sounds through the onboard speakers.

You'll want to get familiar with the midi settings on the keyboard in order to turn Local Control on and off. This turns on or off the direct link between the keyboard and its internal sound module. It's no disorienting to have anything you play on a virtual instrument layered with the internal piano sound.

krampster2 posted:

E: I've done some more digging and it would seem the key to my questions is whether or not my digital piano can output MIDI data through the USB port. If it can then I should not need an interface.
It can but you do nonetheless.

e2: it would only be different if you only ever wanted to use the onboard piano sounds.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 17, 2017

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Flipperwaldt posted:

You can use the usb port for midi. You do not need to use the din midi connectors and do not need to have them on your audio interface. There will be latency when playing virtual instruments or routing audio input back to audio output if you don't have an audio interface that has low-latency drivers. The headphone output of the audio interface is where you'd plug your headphones into when listening to anything but the onboard sounds through the onboard speakers.

You'll want to get familiar with the midi settings on the keyboard in order to turn Local Control on and off. This turns on or off the direct link between the keyboard and its internal sound module. It's no disorienting to have anything you play on a virtual instrument layered with the internal piano sound.
It can but you do nonetheless.

e2: it would only be different if you only ever wanted to use the onboard piano sounds.

Thanks a lot, that makes sense. I've had a look at the Kawai's manual and have found the local control switches.

Would it be possible to get an interface for under $100 with imperceptible latency?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

krampster2 posted:

Thanks a lot, that makes sense. I've had a look at the Kawai's manual and have found the local control switches.

Would it be possible to get an interface for under $100 with imperceptible latency?
$99 new is pretty much the entry level for such things, but you don't have to buy new. Real world imperceptible to the vast majority of people when playing keyboard, on a moderately powerful computer that is not bogged down with hundreds of running plugins, yes.

Anything with current ASIO drivers available for your operating system can be considered. I don't have the personal experience with a variety of current products to confidently give you a more specific recommendation. I had a good deal on a Traktor Audio 2 which gives me excellent latency (3-5ms), but it has no audio inputs, unlike most of the others. You'd have to be pretty sure you'd never need them and also not have to pay full price for it, probably.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

MrSargent posted:

As for the line inputs, I have never used them and have been just plugging in the front 4 inputs. I feel like the ones in the back would be perfect for my Minilogue and TR-8. Would free up the front for mics/guitars. Will need to figure out how to set them up in Ableton.

So I went and bought 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS cables to plug my TR-8 and Minilogue into the Line Inputs in the back of my Scarlett 18i8 to route to Ableton. I have everything connected properly (i believe) because I am getting sound as expected from both instruments through Ableton. The problem is that they are QUIET. As in even when cranked to full volume on the Minilogue, I am hitting -23dB max. I can just go back to using the front inputs with XLR -> TRS but I was hoping to free those up. Any thoughts?

Even tried opening Focusrite control and adjusting the analog input volume but it doesn't do much. One thing to note is that the TR-8 doesn't have a problem with volume as when I crank the master on it, it gets to a reasonable level. Does the Minilogue just need more input gain from the front inputs?

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 19, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The Minilogue's outputs are unbalanced. The 18i8's inputs (probably?) automatically switch between balanced and unbalanced and it's taking the trs input as balanced, making the cable cancel the signal out against itself. What you needed are ts to ts cables.

Can't find in its specs if you've got the same thing going on with the TR-8 or not.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

The Minilogue's outputs are unbalanced. The 18i8's inputs (probably?) automatically switch between balanced and unbalanced and it's taking the trs input as balanced, making the cable cancel the signal out against itself. What you needed are ts to ts cables.

Can't find in its specs if you've got the same thing going on with the TR-8 or not.

Went back to GC and the guy there thought I needed an unbalanced TS that splits into a Left/Right TS since the Minilogue only has a single Audio Out. Basically going to map to inputs 5/6 on the Scarlett and route those both to a single audio track. Will report back.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I should have actually looked at the specs earlier. Yeah, a single unbalanced mono out.

There's no point to having it go to two of your precious inputs, as the signal will be identical. The GC guy is tripping. Inputs don't need to be used in pairs. Just use one input and record it to a mono track in your DAW.

If the inputs only show up in your DAW as pairs, that's something you can configure in either the Scarlett's drivers and/or the DAW's device settings. The benefit of doing so is mostly that you'll free up the other input for another mono outputting device.

In this case the splitter cable is a stupid hacky workaround for people that don't know you can just not record to stereo tracks and then complain the sound of their recording only comes out of the left speaker.

Of course, now you've got the cable, you can do fun things like have one end go through some effect pedal and record both the output of that and the clean signal simultaneously and automate levels later in your DAW or whatever.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
What are my options for a interface with decent latency that has enough output channels for me to send a separate mix with a click track to a drummer (without having to spend too much)?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
beep boop define "not too much" as a number

seriously though, without knowing what you're willing to spend it's impossible to say. How many other people besides the drummer need submixes? Otherwise it's two stereo outputs - one for you to monitor, one for the drummer. Do check - some interfaces substitute stereo channels with SPDIF or ADAT which increases the output count but it's not useful if you just need plain old analog outs. Also, others may show a stereo out and a headphone out but that is not a guarantee for true separate outputs. Always check the specs.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I looked up a tutorial for configuring my TR-8 with 1 input per track in Ableton and am using a Scarlett 18i8 Audio Interface. When I go to my input config, I only have 14 inputs, which leaves me a lot short considering the TR-8 would take 11 mono inputs and 1 stereo input all on its own. I am unsure of what the best way to go about setting this up or acquiring more inputs. I really don't want to spend a lot more money considering I have made several purchases recently but fear that is my only option at this point.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

MrSargent posted:

When I go to my input config, I only have 14 inputs, which leaves me a lot short considering the TR-8 would take 11 mono inputs and 1 stereo input all on its own.
The TR8 has 4 analog outputs. 2 of those are the stereo mix out, 2 of those are assignable out. It only shows more than that if you use it as an audio interface.

Your Scarlet has 4 analog line inputs on the front, 4 analog line inputs on the back, 1 SPDIF stereo pair and 8 ADAT mono ins (if you buy an ADAT converter like the ADA8200). That's 8 + 4 + 4 + 2 = 18 (hence the 18 in the name).

quote:

I am unsure of what the best way to go about setting this up or acquiring more inputs. I really don't want to spend a lot more money considering I have made several purchases recently but fear that is my only option at this point.
An ADA8200 is a cheap way to get 8 extra mono outputs, but here's the thing; you cannot use all of the outputs of the TR8 anyway unless you have macOS and create an aggregate audio device (which is something you don't want to do anyway).

Even then, the main reason to use the separate outputs on a drum machine is so you can use effects and EQ on every instrument separately. In almost all cases, the only thing you want to have separately is the kick. The rest of the instruments tend to be mixed in stereo. That was the case for the original TR909 which did indeed offer every instrument separately.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Well, I like to separate out cymbals and hihats from the regular percussion stuff as well, but yes.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Good point. On the TR8 that pretty much forces you to use 1 mono auxiliary out for kick, then the other one for whatever else you want.

If Roland would've made a TR88 with separate outs and more steel in the box, I'd love that but them's the breaks :(.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Just giving the TR-8 ADAT out would have worked.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Laserjet 4P posted:

The TR8 has 4 analog outputs. 2 of those are the stereo mix out, 2 of those are assignable out. It only shows more than that if you use it as an audio interface.

Your Scarlet has 4 analog line inputs on the front, 4 analog line inputs on the back, 1 SPDIF stereo pair and 8 ADAT mono ins (if you buy an ADAT converter like the ADA8200). That's 8 + 4 + 4 + 2 = 18 (hence the 18 in the name).

An ADA8200 is a cheap way to get 8 extra mono outputs, but here's the thing; you cannot use all of the outputs of the TR8 anyway unless you have macOS and create an aggregate audio device (which is something you don't want to do anyway).

Even then, the main reason to use the separate outputs on a drum machine is so you can use effects and EQ on every instrument separately. In almost all cases, the only thing you want to have separately is the kick. The rest of the instruments tend to be mixed in stereo. That was the case for the original TR909 which did indeed offer every instrument separately.

I thought that I could use ASIO4ALL to run both the Scarlett and TR-8 as my Audio Devices at the same time but maybe this isn't a good approach? I could just keep doing what I am doing which is recording each element separately which works fine, was just hoping to optimize it a little more.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Just giving the TR-8 ADAT out would have worked.

Not sure how I would set this up so that the TR8 gets that specific out. Isn't the ADAT = 8 mono ins? Think the TR8 has 11 ins so would I have to double-up somewhow? Not even sure how I would do that. My apologies, I am pretty much a noob when it comes to audio routing so I appreciate your patience with my dumb questions.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

MrSargent posted:

Not sure how I would set this up so that the TR8 gets that specific out.
Oh, you can't. It's a "wish Roland would have done that" thing. It would have been a more reasonable compromise for not giving every sound its own analog out. Presumably cheaper for them and less pants on head retarded than turning the thing into an audio interface.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

Oh, you can't. It's a "wish Roland would have done that" thing. It would have been a more reasonable compromise for not giving every sound its own analog out. Presumably cheaper for them and less pants on head retarded than turning the thing into an audio interface.

Ahh I see. So I am still a little confused on what my best option would be. Should I just keep doing what I am doing by recording each element individually using the same audio track? I basically set up a pattern with all of my elements, then I record each individual one by muting all of the others on the TR-8.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

MrSargent posted:

Ahh I see. So I am still a little confused on what my best option would be. Should I just keep doing what I am doing by recording each element individually using the same audio track? I basically set up a pattern with all of my elements, then I record each individual one by muting all of the others on the TR-8.
I've never gotten asio4all to do anything beneficial for me, but don't let my attitude of hating it because it's "improper" or somesuch stand in your way. If it doesn't work out you can simply uninstall it. There aren't a lot of other options, apart from spending large wads of cash, changing your musical process or caring less about what gets recorded separately.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Laserjet 4P posted:

beep boop define "not too much" as a number

seriously though, without knowing what you're willing to spend it's impossible to say. How many other people besides the drummer need submixes? Otherwise it's two stereo outputs - one for you to monitor, one for the drummer. Do check - some interfaces substitute stereo channels with SPDIF or ADAT which increases the output count but it's not useful if you just need plain old analog outs. Also, others may show a stereo out and a headphone out but that is not a guarantee for true separate outputs. Always check the specs.

OK, should have probably explained myself better.

I use a laptop with Ableton Live with my band for playing synths/multisampled instruments, adding live audio effects to vocals and other instruments via a mic plugged into the interface, and occasionally triggering some drum loops. Currently when we use loops, whoever triggers them has to tap the tempo we're playing at in order to get them to drop in at the right tempo.

We'd like to expand our use of electronics and whatnot in the band but to do some of the stuff we want to do, tap tempo is not going to cut it, we're going to need to send a click to our drummer (actually, beatboxer, but it might well be a drummer at some point and I don't suppose it makes much difference). So I need an interface that can output a main mix for front of house, and another mix with a click track for the beatboxer/drummer.

I don't need a shitload of inputs or whatever so I guess what I'm asking is what are my 'entry level' options for a USB interface that can handle this?

As an added bonus, the lower latency the better. Currently we are using an Mbox 2 Mini and for some instruments I can't have the buffer any smaller than 256 samples without getting some crackling, but I presume that since that's a pretty old interface, something more current would probably better either way?

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

Well I'm yet another asking for suggestions.
I'm looking for an interface for my PC up to £300 I should think, that I can plug a pair of studio monitors into (not bought yet and I'll probably spend around £300 on these max), midi controller, as well as occasionally a microphone, an electric guitar or electric drum kit. These last 3 don't have to be plugged in at the same time as I'll likely record them individually.
I'm mostly making electronic music so live recording isn't so much of an issue.

Quick edit, sorry I should have made clear that I'd like to plug a midi controller into the interface rather than straight into the PC if possible. Is this preferable?

One Pigeon fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 29, 2017

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is the uad apollo worth the price? specs/features seem pretty great and reviewers love it, but that's a hefty cost. i'd spend for it if it's worth it, though. would mostly be micing guitars and keys through an old fender vibro champ, bass direct in, vocals...down the road

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Abel Wingnut posted:

is the uad apollo worth the price? specs/features seem pretty great and reviewers love it, but that's a hefty cost. i'd spend for it if it's worth it, though. would mostly be micing guitars and keys through an old fender vibro champ, bass direct in, vocals...down the road

I have an apollo twin duo and it's the nicest sounding interface I've ever had. By a long shot. I have been particularly surprised by the quality of the DI; I honestly didn't realize how much my previous DIs sucked until I had a good one.

Beware, though, because the interface is basically just the beginning; you WILL find yourself spending a ridiculous amount of money on plugins for it. The emulations of classic gear they have are frankly amazing, and when you're faced with the opportunity how do you NOT buy a near-perfect reproduction of an Echoplex or '55 Fender Tweed Deluxe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh for perspective on the "nicest sounding I've ever had" comment: my previous interfaces were a MOTU 828mk2, a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, an M-Audio Delta 1010, a Seasound Solo, and an Echo Layla.