Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The real space mod is so good but I wish it didn't gently caress up ringworlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I really want to play a game in a universe of entirely goon-designed species having read this thread.

Someone (read: not me) should compile a list!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Playstation 4 posted:

Who honestly zooms in that far. I just stick to NSC 7.0 and roll around with Super Dreds. gently caress all y'all, Fallen, Awakened, or Monster.
yeah it was pretty bizarro of them to make the ships so articulated when the game design calls for fleets of hundreds of the things. just do static hardpoints, make a couple of different hull section designs, and call it a day. then you can crank out dlc for paysluts like me

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

IAmTheRad posted:

1.8.1 made it so that Machine Empires can't learn Positronic AI.
You're already Positronic AI. Why do you need to learn it?

Well, mostly so machine empires can get advanced combat computers. Otherwise they're stuck with the level 2 set, since they can't get either the psychic ones or the sapient ones.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

peak debt posted:

Is it possible to hurt a computer controlled enemy by destroying its economy?

I spent about 10 years ravaging around this guys space with about 5 small fleets destroying all his resource generating outposts, while occasionally sniping a starbase if his main fleet is far away. He does slowly rebuild them but he can't have more than a dozen stations left over to support his 15k fleet but it doesn't look like he's actually getting limited by his destroyed economy. He still instantly rebuilds starbases and isn't required to disband his ships to keep his energy income positive. Even years after he lost all his mining outposts he's still building ships at the same rate as before and now actually has more than double my fleet strength despite having only like 20% more planets and half the starbases that I do.

Just wrecking mining stations isn't going to "destroy" someone's economy. Planets generate a lot more resources than the stations do, and you can run a negative energy income for a pretty long while by using trade to refill your stockpile whenever you run low.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Well, the Unbidden just ate my last (13th) planet. I'm pretty sure they've won every single space battle they've fought (against anyone). I'm going to let it run in observer mode for a bit just to see how far this goes. I think "endgame crisis" is a fantastic solution to the typical 4x mop-up tedium problem, but kicking it off by picking some random empires to delete doesn't feel super fun.

I never even researched jump drives :(

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
do rulers gain experience now, or is that still bugged?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Soup du Journey posted:

do rulers gain experience now, or is that still bugged?

They do, you can mouse over them to see what level they are at. They apply faction wide bonuses, most notably extra stuff to planets, like a 2nd governor.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mazz posted:

They do, you can mouse over them to see what level they are at. They apply faction wide bonuses, most notably extra stuff to planets, like a 2nd governor.
ok, great!

i noticed discovery got a well-deserved nerf. even at 1/10, that one power is still pretty powerful and worth getting early, right?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Soup du Journey posted:

ok, great!

i noticed discovery got a well-deserved nerf. even at 1/10, that one power is still pretty powerful and worth getting early, right?

Not really in my opinion. I had like 4 science vessel flying around scanning everything they could and the storage never reached more than 1 every ten seconds or so.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

raminasi posted:

Well, the Unbidden just ate my last (13th) planet. I'm pretty sure they've won every single space battle they've fought (against anyone). I'm going to let it run in observer mode for a bit just to see how far this goes. I think "endgame crisis" is a fantastic solution to the typical 4x mop-up tedium problem, but kicking it off by picking some random empires to delete doesn't feel super fun.

I never even researched jump drives :(

The Unbidden just spawned into my current game, first for 1.8/synthetic dawn. Right on my empire border, in one of my vassals. Holy poo poo are they more powerful than previously. Given my mineral income I'm not sure how I can keep up with them at all, and this will likely be game over.

I don't think anyone else had jump drives except the FEs. One had awakened maybe 15 years prior. It just seems like any time the FEs start moving around at all, you're going to get the Unbidden within a few years.

Is there a random chance to have any particular end game crisis, like the Prethoryians?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Whelp, my hyperlane Driven Assimilators were surrounded by two empires who immediately signed a mutual defense pact as soon as they both met me, ending my game 30 years in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:iit:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

:psydwarf:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

One of my favorite parts of any mod!

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Is that a Dwarf Fortress reference?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Update from my first ever crisis:

One out of four machine worlds is dead, the FEs have two others mostly contained and the last one has founded Kill-Empire: The Death Realm

The two machine worlds in the northwest are mostly under control, but the FEs apparently have their hands full with them, so Death Empire is all ours. That red spot on the borders of our Singularity Union was a tiny colony I had only to deny my 2nd strongest enemy territory. Now it's the Contingency's bridgehead into my empire. We fought 7 consecutive battles against roaming fleets, all showing up so fast no reinforcements could reach our fleet in time. And after mowing down 7 stacks of 60k strength each my 100k survivors from the armada I used to smash the first machine world were chopped down to 23k and had to retreat.

Now a 8th Contingency-fleet is bombarding a sector-habitat in the small corridor between the lost colony and my core worlds. My fleet already looks better above, but I still have to sit there and take it, or my fleet will get worn down again after 2-3 more battles. (I can only assume this insane thunderstorm of enemy fleets was because everyone in that region of space just straight-up died and left the Contingency to spawn more and more fleets.)

It looks rather dire. I can barely hold out and the two FEs have not made any progress in years now. At least one of my worst enemies has been reduced to a single planet, so at least I will have the satisfaction of seeing them die first! :shepface:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
One tip I'd provide Contingency fighters is that you really want to kill off any remaining fleets before you kill the fourth machine world. Otherwise they'll congregate on the final one.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Ambivalent posted:

These guys wanted to become vassals of my Rogue Caretakers, grim...

This is so drat depressing :(

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Aethernet posted:

One tip I'd provide Contingency fighters is that you really want to kill off any remaining fleets before you kill the fourth machine world. Otherwise they'll congregate on the final one.

It's a good way to create diversion though

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

3 DONG HORSE posted:

They've given up on a kind and loving god looking out for them and are willing to settle for a kind and loving anything at all.

They must have elected Honeydewnald Trump as their space pope.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Hey hey, just did my first End of the Cycle. Was a real nice fifty years or so there before half the galaxy went kaput. Even my poor vassals had their lights turned out. :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Some sort of caretaker AI that was totally benevolent and listened to the desires and wishes of its organic population would probably be pretty ideal.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Baronjutter posted:

Some sort of caretaker AI that was totally benevolent and listened to the desires and wishes of its organic population would probably be pretty ideal.

The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

3 DONG HORSE posted:

???

People realising a logic circuit is better than constant irrational outbursts is a good thing!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

???

People realising a logic circuit is better than constant irrational outbursts is a good thing!

Yeah, I had some folks in my own machine-run do the same, after most of them got massacred in a war they themselves caused. They gave up and became my machine-empire's vassal. (It gets better/more depressing if you take into account my standard machines aren't even feeling any love or kindness towards them, probably only some odd and weak sense of responsibility.)

Edit:

Anyway, looks like we're turning the fight against the Contingency around! My fleet finally retook my lost colony (took only two more death stacks they had running around), and fleets from the surviving empires of the galactic north have started arriving! And according to my Sentry Spire, they aren't losing! Several Contingency-assimilated worlds are under siege, and the Contingency-fleets are headlessly running around, trying fight off the growing strength of the galactic defenders.

Man, this is the first time I have the feeling we can win this -and we only lost half the galaxy! :suicide:

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Libluini posted:

Yeah, I had some folks in my own machine-run do the same, after most of them got massacred in a war they themselves caused. They gave up and became my machine-empire's vassal. (It gets better/more depressing if you take into account my standard machines aren't even feeling any love or kindness towards them, probably only some odd and weak sense of responsibility.)

Edit:

Anyway, looks like we're turning the fight against the Contingency around! My fleet finally retook my lost colony (took only two more death stacks they had running around), and fleets from the surviving empires of the galactic north have started arriving! And according to my Sentry Spire, they aren't losing! Several Contingency-assimilated worlds are under siege, and the Contingency-fleets are headlessly running around, trying fight off the growing strength of the galactic defenders.

Man, this is the first time I have the feeling we can win this -and we only lost half the galaxy! :suicide:

The upside is you don't have to spend time retaking all their space and clearing them out like the other 2. Once you beat the contingency they all go poof.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've fallen behind on this thread since the patch came out and it exploded.

Any advice on how to deal with sector planets? I don't mind some auto-management, but now that we can interfere with them, I was hoping to find a mod that just adds them to the side-panel. I can't seem to find anything that does that though.

There are lots of "no sectors" mods which would do the trick too possibly, but then you lose the governors...

What do you recommend I do?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

teethgrinder posted:

Any advice on how to deal with sector planets? I don't mind some auto-management, but now that we can interfere with them, I was hoping to find a mod that just adds them to the side-panel. I can't seem to find anything that does that though.

There are lots of "no sectors" mods which would do the trick too possibly, but then you lose the governors...

Do what I'm doing, and put your most important sector planets on ctrl+number for easy keeping. (Generally, I take the best/the sector capital and ignore the rest, for ease of mind.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

imweasel09 posted:

The upside is you don't have to spend time retaking all their space and clearing them out like the other 2. Once you beat the contingency they all go poof.

That's nice to hear, too bad it's so hard to get close to the machine worlds without getting jumped from all sides by roaming fleets.

Edit:

Right now my rear end in a top hat-galaxy has turned to the hosed side again: Assimilations are up, and the other two machine worlds broke containment. Meaning one of the two FEs is slowly being eaten and destroyed now, too! And the other FE is an awakened and really opportunistic empire: They've nearly made everyone who isn't dead or dying into their thralls and they "fight" the Contingency by very slowly taking over the worlds they sterilized.

Too not fall behind I've started doing the same thing, so now we have us, a huge Monster-Federation formed from the subjugated Space Nazi Birds, the Awakened Empire and some randos and of course, the Contingency Kill-Empire. And while the Contingency is murdering us, we're "defending" ourselves by slowly occupying and re-settling worlds in preparation for Galactic War III - a conflict which will start the moment the Contingency is gone, because we hate each other with the fire of a thousand burning warforms.

This game will probably end in a domination-victory because so many planets are up for grabs again.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 1, 2017

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I use the mod that cuts the productivity of non-sector capital planets' army/spaceport productivity by half, and adds it to the sector capital's output. No link because phone posting.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Lprsti99 posted:

I use the mod that cuts the productivity of non-sector capital planets' army/spaceport productivity by half, and adds it to the sector capital's output. No link because phone posting.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=907726433

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

teethgrinder posted:

You only need one governor for your core sector now :eng101:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How do I create a vassal as a machine intelligence?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So are there any civics in this game that are hands down the best/worst? I've been mainly making my races from an RP perspective and then giving them a government that I feel would match their traits, but it would be a nice thing to know if there is anything I should just avoid. I have been gone from this game for too long :/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mister Adequate posted:

You only need one governor for your core sector now :eng101:

For some reason this is one of the changes that made me the most happy. The idea that if I'm not microing and keeping a close eye on staffing a governor on every single core world or I wasn't OPTIMIZED drove me nuts. Now I just put some super academic lady in and you're done.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I just tried to cheese start a Devouring Swarm game by hunting down primitive planets (their planets show as orange icon in system, but no icon on galaxy map) and eating them, thus dodging the early game Colony Development time and mineral cost of a Colony ship. Sadly Paradox are smarter than me and have attached a distance based influence cost to primitive invasions. Sad times.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The problem I have with NSC is that it's quite possible to easily get enough fleet power that nearby ancients awaken before you're really ready for them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Baronjutter posted:

For some reason this is one of the changes that made me the most happy. The idea that if I'm not microing and keeping a close eye on staffing a governor on every single core world or I wasn't OPTIMIZED drove me nuts. Now I just put some super academic lady in and you're done.

It's very nice because that way governors work the same for the core sector as any other sector.

I'm doing a robots game and we are okay at things, I have had two wars so far. One ended because the fanatical purifiers got annihilated by pissing off too many people in the first 50 years, the other one I just took some planets that were making my nice line marching along a spiral arm look ugly and unceremoniously booted their pops out.

Currently a fallen synthetic civ is being nice to me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Senethro posted:

I just tried to cheese start a Devouring Swarm game by hunting down primitive planets (their planets show as orange icon in system, but no icon on galaxy map) and eating them, thus dodging the early game Colony Development time and mineral cost of a Colony ship. Sadly Paradox are smarter than me and have attached a distance based influence cost to primitive invasions. Sad times.

Here's the play:

Build 3-4 Attack Armies.
Build Corvettes to fleet cap
Don't build anything else except maybe more mineral making stations/buildings and maybe a energy stations to keep you in the green
Look for nearest neighbor
Wait for nearest neighbor to found second colony
Build Corvettes past fleet cap
Declare War and dive on the second colony as soon as it's done colonizing, invade and that should give you like 60 warscore or so (invasion timing is important so that there is no starport for defense and increased fleet cap)

If they didn't sally forth to fight your siege fleet, dip into their home system and they should leave to retake their second colony, just fly back and blow them up

In any case, once you've taken their second colony and destroyed their fleet they will auto concede and you get two free colonies! Don't forget to move at least one pop onto both worlds before they empty out and probably build a bunch of defense armies to take care of unrest on your neighbour's homeworld.

Obviously on higher difficulties it works better on purifier-type empires because of the ship combat boosts all three of them got.

e: sometimes they'll rapid expand and then you can take 3 colonies for free!

• Locked thread