Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And of course, there's already clickbait articles claiming the DCEU is over after JL.

:cripes:

Clickbait writers have to pay the rent too y'know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Inescapable Duck posted:

Still amused it took them this long to realise superhero movies are obligated to have handsome buff dudes in them who might as well take their shirts off at some point, and some people like that kind of thing.

I mean, Thor came out a while ago.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Clickbait writers have to pay the rent too y'know!

That's a hell of an argument in favor of universal income.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

That's a hell of an argument in favor of universal income.

If someone wants to pay me $20 for 500 words that explain that Ezra Miller was very happy to work on Justice League and thinks the film is great who am I to stop them?

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 29, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, Thor came out a while ago.

I'm struggling to think of superhero movies that don't have a buff leading man actor posing with his shirt off at some point.

Even Paul Rudd had a scene.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

sassassin posted:

I'm struggling to think of superhero movies that don't have a buff leading man actor posing with his shirt off at some point.

But did it have a NUDETAYNE?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

While the Scorsese Joke movie won't be part of the DCEU or star Jared Leto, there are probably 3 planned movies that will be. Suicide Squad 2, Joker & Harley, and Gotham City Sirens.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Clickbait writers have to pay the rent too pay the lawyers representing them in sexual harassment trials y'know!

This is how it feels after the whole Devin Faraci and Harry Knowles thing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Point there, though Star Trek did try to improve on that in later shows, Sisko's heritage comes up quite a lot in DS9. (One episode very specifically addresses the idea of black people in sci-fi with similar phrasing as you just used)

DS9 is an outlier for Star Trek, and Star Trek as a whole an outlier for sci-fi, but its still pretty conventional.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The MSJ posted:

This is how it feels after the whole Devin Faraci and Harry Knowles thing.

Come for the comic movies chat, stay for being implied you're a sex offender!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Don't think it's implied so much now

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

sassassin posted:

Depends on how buff you believe RDJ and Edward Norton to be.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wanna see a swole Professor X.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'd have no respect for someone who always skips leg day.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wanna see a swole Professor X.

There was a comic where Magneto became young again somehow. As a result he gained long flowing white hair and also became super ripped. I'm phone posting or else I would look up a picture

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- The Scorsese Joker movie
Supposedly Scorsese wants Leonardo DiCaprio as The Joker.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gyges posted:

Depends on how buff you believe RDJ and Edward Norton to be.

RDJ is a lot buffer than a former alcoholic in their 40s should be.

Ruffalo's the real outlier for buffness

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowman_McK posted:

Ruffalo's the real outlier for buffness

What are you talking about? He spends half the movie in nothing but shorts!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mr. Apollo posted:

Supposedly Scorsese wants Leonardo DiCaprio as The Joker.

Scorsese: "Can you just be the lead in every single one of my movies from now on?"
DiCaprio: "Ok"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
DiCaprio as the Joker... you know, that could work.

I wonder what he'd eat.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Snowman_McK posted:

Tony Stark uses steroids.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
FWIW I think Leo would perfectly fine as Joker. Pesci would have made a good Penguin back in the day too. I'm having fun picturing Scorcese's usual band of actors populating the Batman universe. A younger DeNiro as Dent. Frank Vincent as Falcone.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

What the gently caress is this? That first part is astoundingly stupid as past addiction doesn't preclude someone from fitness and a huge amount of former users actually run toward the gym. The second part is also very moronic as 40s is not old, especially in light of 40s being as far removed from a man's physical prime as he is in his late teens and early 20s and to speak nothing of many men being capable of getting and staying in shape well into older age.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Also uhhh. He's 52.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

cvnvcnv posted:

What the gently caress is this? That first part is astoundingly stupid as past addiction doesn't preclude someone from fitness and a huge amount of former users actually run toward the gym. The second part is also very moronic as 40s is not old, especially in light of 40s being as far removed from a man's physical prime as he is in his late teens and early 20s and to speak nothing of many men being capable of getting and staying in shape well into older age.

Somebody's a bitter old alcoholic

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

UmOk posted:

Somebody's a bitter old alcoholic

That statement is equitable to saying, "Drew Barrymore is a lot better director than someone who smoked crack at 12yo and famously later hosed a lot of dudes should be." It's stupid as poo poo and deserves to be pointed out as so.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

cvnvcnv posted:

That statement is equitable to saying, "Drew Barrymore is a lot better director than someone who smoked crack at 12yo and famously later hosed a lot of dudes should be." It's stupid as poo poo and deserves to be pointed out as so.

Somebody's a bitter 12yo crack whore

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

cvnvcnv posted:

What the gently caress is this?

A simple acknowledgment that substance abuse takes a toll on your body?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
It's not at all a secret that some folks work hard to get the shirtless movie body, and some folks juice, but most all of them do things that are not the perfect picture of health to get the shape for the shoot. The bodies themselves are as much a fiction as the movie they're in.

Hell, I feel like this discussion was already had 10 pages ago.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Was there a kingsman thread in CD before? Saw The Golden Circle a couple days ago and it was okay. Raised a couple interesting points though there were a bunch of flaws with it. I'll get more into detail later on.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

cvnvcnv posted:

What the gently caress is this? That first part is astoundingly stupid as past addiction doesn't preclude someone from fitness and a huge amount of former users actually run toward the gym.
It does kind of preclude a large gain in lean muscle growth late in life. We're not talking about him being good at jogging.

cvnvcnv posted:

The second part is also very moronic as 40s is not old, especially in light of 40s being as far removed from a man's physical prime as he is in his late teens and early 20s and to speak nothing of many men being capable of getting and staying in shape well into older age.

In your late teens, your body is flooded with testosterone and you start bulking up when you get a gym membership. This does not happen in your 40s. It doesn't even happen in your 30s. Which is why even in shape 30 year olds don't look as good as they did when they were younger

Those older men are on steroids too.

Maluco Marinero posted:

It's not at all a secret that some folks work hard to get the shirtless movie body, and some folks juice, but most all of them do things that are not the perfect picture of health to get the shape for the shoot. The bodies themselves are as much a fiction as the movie they're in.

Hell, I feel like this discussion was already had 10 pages ago.

It's a false dichotomy. The people on steroids also work hard. That's the benefit of doing steroids, that you can. That a 40-50 year old man can hit the gym as often as RDJ (or Stallone, for a more extreme case) does. I'm 30 now, and working out and recovering is a lot harder than it was when I was in my 20s. I can't wait to be well off enough to start doing steroids.

sassassin posted:

Tony Stark uses steroids.

Absolutely no doubt, yes he does. So does Evans, who was probably on synthol to boot.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

cvnvcnv posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

It really isn't, because gaining a bunch of lean muscle has a very small window in which you can do it naturally. It's from when you're in your late teens through to your late twenties or early 30s if you've got good genes. After that, you can maintain, but it's too late to start, because the body just isn't what it was, in a very tangible, literal sense.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You can still get in good shape if you're starting at over 30 but alcoholism permanently fucks with your hormones so that's a double whammy.

Tony Stark is a rich playboy whose father worked on the Captain America steroid super-man project or something so he'll have all the best hookups. No blowing a guy behind the tree in the gym car park for a baggy of unlabelled vials for Iron Man.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Nice double-dip lmao which ignores completely your allegation that alcoholism will blow out your knees and break your back, or some poo poo, nevermind a person's exercise routine, diet, and literally everything else about their life during that time, before, and after. I mean, if what you say is true about testosterone levels, the alcoholism would have nothing to do with his body. :iiam:

Also cool anecdote about your recovery time kicking your rear end as though that proves something. A man in his 50s on testosterone replacement taking him to normal levels who also adheres to x y and z can get RDJ's bod, forget steroids.

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 1, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

cvnvcnv posted:

Nice double-dip lmao which ignores completely your allegation that alcoholism will blow out your knees and break your back, or some poo poo, nevermind a person's exercise routine, diet, and literally everything else about their life during that time, before, and after. I mean, if what you say is true about testosterone levels, the alcoholism would have nothing to do with his body. :iiam:

Also cool anecdote about your recovery time kicking your rear end as though that proves something. A man in his 50s on testosterone replacement taking him to normal levels who also adheres to x y and z can get RDJ's bod, forget steroids.

Somebody's a bitter steroid abuser.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

cvnvcnv posted:

Testosterone is a steroid you dummy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Testosterone is a steroid you dummy.

No it's not.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

finally saw spiderman

just really excellent all around

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

sassassin posted:

No it's not.

haha good post

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Junior Jr. posted:

Was there a kingsman thread in CD before? Saw The Golden Circle a couple days ago and it was okay. Raised a couple interesting points though there were a bunch of flaws with it. I'll get more into detail later on.

I like that he's still with the princess, but don't like what they did with Roxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

sassassin posted:

No it's not.

Is there a joke here that I'm missing

• Locked thread