Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Your Name is very mediocre, but there is enough to it that an adaptation that improves upon its generic anime execution could be good. On the otherhand, delousing it of anime would probably make it even more obvious that its appeal is entirely to the YA set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't dislike it because it's anime, I dislike it wholly on its incredibly poor plot and presentation.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LEGO Ninjago is....just okay.

There's no character development and, according to my roommate who's seen all of the episodes of the series, it's only got the characters in it by name really and they're NOT the same ones from the show. Nor do they have those mechs at all.

Also, in the show, one of them is dead, the other is 100% a robot (started out as an android), the girl isn't even a ninja in the show, Lloyd isn't a ninja either, and...yeah.

Did I really need to spoil it? Either way, the show is better (according to my roomie) and he swears the mechs are only there to give them new toys to sell.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
According to the Ninjago wiki, your friend is full of crap on at least a few of those things. The mechs exist anyway, though yeah apparently Garmadon is dead.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ThermoPhysical posted:

Either way, the show is better (according to my roomie) and he swears the mechs are only there to give them new toys to sell.

Well,

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Garmadons spirit, evil version, was resurrected in some episode or something but like seriously the plot of Ninjago is a labrynth but all the walls are ankle high.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Garmadons spirit, evil version, was resurrected in some episode or something but like seriously the plot of Ninjago is a labrynth but all the walls are ankle high.

How do you know this, man? That's shameful. These aren't Gargoyles days, man, there aren't well-written animated TV series outside Bojack and Venture Bros.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

How do you know this, man? That's shameful. These aren't Gargoyles days, man, there aren't well-written animated TV series outside Bojack and Venture Bros.

I believe this was a halloween special event so Im trying to remember if I learned this via promotional sizzle reel cartoon network dumped on my desk or if I watched it with family.

Other important Ninjago facts: Spinjitsu is literally sticking your weapon out and spinning wildly in a circle, the Ninjago have fought in addition to Garmadon literal snakemen from inside the earth, and Lloyd is a gold ninja which is as far as I could tell is LEGO for Super Saiyin.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I can't tell if Neo Yokio is incredibly bad or mostly bad but also art.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I liked Your Name. I thought it was fun but I gave it pretty much zero thought to after walking out of the theatre. I was surprised to hear so many visceral negative reactions and I wonder if it's only because it was so highly praised that it's getting this backlash.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I don't know, if it really is a high production but typical-in-the-worst-sense anime, there's tons of room for criticism.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The best part of the movie for me the girl trying to get a date with the boy's crush for herself gets dropped pretty quick and that bugs me. Its fine otherwise.

Pick posted:

I can't tell if Neo Yokio is incredibly bad or mostly bad but also art.

Yes

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i saw vampire weekend and now im wondering how insufferable it gets

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

On the topic of Netflix I found Neo Yokio very boring but John Mulaney and Nick Kroll's new animated show Big Mouth is very funny.

Also Your Name is very good. It's the first Shinkai movie will really likable characters.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pick posted:

According to the Ninjago wiki, your friend is full of crap on at least a few of those things. The mechs exist anyway, though yeah apparently Garmadon is dead.

He clarified that Lloyd didn't start out as a ninja. I'd rather not visit the wikia on the show because the movie was bad enough. I'd rather not get into the fan aspect of it all.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 30, 2017

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I took my kids to Ninjago because one of their friends wanted to see it with them, and gee, that sure was a thoroughly uninteresting movie that had very little to say and probably belonged on the direct to DVD line. The only thing that got a chuckle for me was the ultimate weapon being a laser pointer that summons a cat, but Lego Movie did all this kind of fourth wall / real life wall poo poo better because the characters are meant to be playing the world straight in Ninjago. what a waste of time.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I bought a ninjago toy to get out of downtown disney's kafkaesque parking lot. I'll give it to the nephew or something

that's my story

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

I bought a ninjago toy to get out of downtown disney's kafkaesque parking lot. I'll give it to the nephew or something

that's my story

How does buying a toy get you out of a parking lot?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

IUG posted:

How does buying a toy get you out of a parking lot?

for less money than it would cost unvalidated anyway

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Calaveron posted:

Didn't people cringe super bad at the awful horrible gross disgusting Paddington Bear move trailers and I think the consensus was that the movie ended up being pretty dece

The main difference there is that the Peter Rabbit movie is coming from a studio with a well-established history of aiming for the lowest common denominator (having just released a textbook example of that two months ago).

Speaking of which:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Pictures_Animation

Their "Films in devlelopment" includes "Harold and the Purple Crayon" (Was the book really that popular?), and an animated Ghostbusters film (with no indication of how it would fit into the franchise).

Plus they're apparently going to be releasing an animated Spider-Man movie in late 2018:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/05/23/animated-spider-man-movie-posters-/1

Does anyone here think that, at this point, any of those would be worthy of any real optimism?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm optimistic about the Ultimate Spider-man movie due the comic it's based off of but thats very, very foolish of me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Spider-Man animated movie is also being written and produced by Lord & Miller, of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and LEGO Movie fame, so that's a less foolish reason to be optimistic.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
hey thread let's make a movie

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm making a movie right now, it's the Me Show and I'm the star and cameraman and also the camera. Directed by Jesus.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I propose that it should be about how there aren't animated movies that cater to the 25-40 demographic.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
That's a bald-faced lie, we got Sausage Party.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
sa is frustrating because there's so much raw talent on the forums that it feels like we should be able to at least write, crowd-fund and storyboard an animated feature film off goon power alone, but trying to organise goons is like herding cockroaches so it'll never happen

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

TBH half assing the feature equivalent of zybourne clock would leave us verging forever. The superior experience

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I just hope it has an Asian cast.

Ghost in a Shell bombed, and white was brought up when studio executives were trying to figure out why, so maybe things will be different this time. Who knows though.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

the old ceremony posted:

hey thread let's make a movie

It's really weird to google that and see all the trending clickbait websites

Edit: I'm not the person who made the photoshop or idea this is just me speaking as the entire thread

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/cheesepoIice/status/914183218152329218

it's still animation, don't lie to me

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

the old ceremony posted:

sa is frustrating because there's so much raw talent on the forums that it feels like we should be able to at least write, crowd-fund and storyboard an animated feature film off goon power alone, but trying to organise goons is like herding cockroaches so it'll never happen

Just because you enjoy BSing with a group of people for fun doesn't mean that you should want to work with them.

If anything I think there should be less focus on The Great Goon Project that inevitably fizzles out and more on just making things for fun whenever and wherever. Like how we got that great thread of people drawing comics based on E/N stories but then a bunch of people had to ruin it by trying to make it into a forums in-joke fighting game that got like two sprites and a background before dying.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

the old ceremony posted:

SA is mostly full of adults who are, at the very least, aware of their abilities and how much they're worth. So you're not gonna get much out of them once they realize the time and effort needed to get the project completed, and that they'd be doing all that work for free. Free is not a worthwhile paycheck.

Not saying it can't be done, but you'd need the right mix of strong shared vision, good leadership, proper communication, passion in the team and commitment from all involved to see it through to the end without seeing a dime for their work. It's a hard sell, and again, people know what their time is worth.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Tell me, good poster, what comes to mind when you hear the phrase "goon project"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Calaveron posted:

Tell me, good poster, what comes to mind when you hear the phrase "goon project"

Let no one forget the legacy of scat.avi

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

all doobie dogs go to heaven

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Calaveron posted:

Let me have a think...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's a shitload of good stuff made *by* goons, indeed there's probably a number of them organised by people who met on these forums. It's just, why do this thing as a *Somethingawful Forum thing*? It doesn't really earn you any automatic respect.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only successful goon projects are Awful Fantasy 3 and Swap.avi so no, dont ever do a goon project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Barudak posted:

The only successful goon projects are Awful Fantasy 3 and Swap.avi so no, dont ever do a goon project.

The Zybourne Clock as what it became is a far greater success than the lovely RPGmaker game it was initially meant to be