Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Leal posted:

Hey so did Angry Joe! I guess he got enough of a rest and is back in the game!

His crybaby "fans" couldn't stand the idea of him taking a break after 9 straight years of content, so he was basically peer-pressured into keeping the motor running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

oldman posted:

They're different concepts, so I have been able to listen to all three. Though I did give WEE a rest for a while, when they were in their peak "god awful voices" phase. I am thinking of giving Four Finger Discount a rest for a while, as it sounds like they are getting tired and a bit lazy in their prep work and discussions.

I say a nice thing about Wee abs in the newest episode they have several terrible tangents in unfunny voices. :(

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

oldman posted:

I am thinking of giving Four Finger Discount a rest for a while, as it sounds like they are getting tired and a bit lazy in their prep work and discussions.

I have been getting that from them lately as well. It might have been because they put so much effort into their book rather than the podcast, but lately the show has been:

Stupid alternate episode titles, this happened, this happened, this happened, wouldn't it have been funnier if the joke had been *unfunny joke* instead, we should be getting hired to write for The Simpsons, end of episode, mailbag.

I haven't been bothered to listen to them for the last month so I don't know if it's getting better, but I hadn't been getting any enjoyment out of the podcast in the last couple months I listened to it and those were where they covered some of the best episodes of The Simpsons.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

The FREQ Show returns with a look into the first Blade Runner movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYRsDi4fGOA

Also here's the previous episode that discusses feminism used as a marketing tool (I think it's way too short tho)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuPqvPnFvcg

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

TenCentFang posted:

I'm deeply interested in internet critic discussion but you motherfuckers never talk about that so is there another one or should I start a new thread?

gently caress off, WickedHate.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
History Buffs did his part II on season 2 of Rome where the show was hosed over because HBO and BBC couldn't handle splurging tons of money into something beautiful and then HBO decided to start Game of Thrones and give it 8 seasons :negative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz8WWIz_a-I

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Anyways, reccos.

372 Pages We'll Never Get Back.

Michael J. Nelson (MST3k / Rifftrax) and Connor Lastoka (a writer for Rifftrax, did some other stuff, can't be arsed to Google) are voluntarily jamming leaky car batteries into their urethras by reading "Ready Player One", and doing a review of it. Each episode covers about 3-4 chapters, and includes some banter and stuff.

They just released episode 4. http://372pages.com/

If you like written reviews of terrible books, Jenny Trout is doing a chapter-by-chapter breakdown of a lovely YA book that briefly scammed it's way onto the NYT best seller list. And by scam, I mean the author called up hundreds of bookstores, asked the book stores if they report to the NYT, and if they said yes, placed a bulk order for the book. All because some movie investor said "If you have a NYT best seller, we'll option the movie"

It was such an egregious scam that it was spotted within hours, demolished, and the author has been in full denial mode ever since.

The chapter-by-chapter breakdown has ongoing news about the shitstorm around the scam, which makes of extra fun supplimentary reading material.

Jenny Trout's "Jealous Hater's Book Club" for HANDBOOK FOR MORTALS.

Intro / Chapter 0 is here: http://jennytrout.com/?p=11574

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Sarcopenia posted:

This is not a review but I have to share cooking with dog, because mmm and good boy Francis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbaP5MoLIHk

THIS CHANNEL WAS MADE FOR ME

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Leal posted:

Fred Fuchs

Fred Fucks?

Oh my god, Fred Fucks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Bee posted:

Fred Fucks?

Oh my god, Fred Fucks.

I am sure many Freds gently caress, and are hosed in turn. The circle of lifegently caress.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

A new Pretty Good yesterday, a new Dan Bell DEAD MALL SERIES today. We are blessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGXzE-V61qw

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Poparena is taking votes on Are You Afraid Of The Dark? Episodes for his Halloween special.

https://youtu.be/4qZnNuJDlyk

I voted 'The Tale of The Unexpected Visitor'.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
On WMR they tackle Prince of Tennis, a series that one of the hosts has a personal history with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVY_Pdbc58s

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BRB, gonna watch all the pretty goods now that I've seen this one.

Can someone explain why the play was so special though? I get that it was vindictive but I'm not a football watcher.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can someone explain why the play was so special though? I get that it was vindictive but I'm not a football watcher.

the QB taking a knee is how you say 'ok we're ahead, it's the last bits, we're gonna just call it done, good game'. You lose a couple yards but you ensure there won't be some random fumble or lucky interception or something that ruins your win. The defense, in response, gives very little actual defense because hey shockingly enough they would rather not tackle a guy taking a knee and probably gently caress him up. It's a sportsmanship thing. Basically the rule is the qb kneel doesn't stop the game clock, and the play clock is 40 seconds, if you do 3 kneels in a row you can eat up the last bit of time in a game without a turnover and it's generally universally seen as saying 'alright, good game guys'.

For them to use that as a fake is basically such a huge totally legal but VERY against the spirit of the game thing it would be 100% unacceptable if it was done to anyone but one of the biggest scumbags possible at the time with that exact context it was done in. It's one of the rare times where you can be the bigger man even if you whip your balls out and rub them on the face of the guy you've already knocked out.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

So at that stage of the game, the Eagles had basically won the match - they were up with a minute left to go and on offense, meaning that the Cowboys had zero chance of scoring. Indeed, there'd be more chance of the Cowboys actually scoring if there actually were proper plays , seeing as they could then intercept the ball and turn the game over. In a situation like this, it is common for teams to "Take a knee" as it were, purposefully killing the plays and running the clock down to zero -- it's not just a moral thing to do, it's the strategically correct thing to do. Also -- and this is one of the things about US sport I don't really get -- it's seen as bad sportsmanship, when you've clearly won a game, to "run up" the score and deliver unholy clobberings. And so, the Eagles doing that play was something that had never been done before.

Of course, if you want to see the ultimate Jon Bois video when it comes to running up the score, you need to watch "222-0".

E f b squad represent. Anyway, watch 222-0.

Actually, I'll expand more. I don't get the "running up the score" thing as it's a concept that doesn't really exist in sports that are popular here. If a team's 5-0 up in football, then 9 times out of 10 they'll be going for six and no-one will say that it's a bad show. Same with Rugby and other sports...the only sport I can really think of where "running up the score" would potentially be a bad thing is Cricket, and even then that's a strategic thing -- while you could theoretically score 800 runs in an inning, you've still actually got to leave enough game time to put the other team in bat and bowl them out, otherwise the game will be a draw. So the batting team would usually declare long before they reached such a point.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 29, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Thanks, I get it now. gently caress union busters.

Edit: Got to the brilliant Jack Bauer episode, and there seems to be an episode missing on the playlist? Only 12 episodes out of 13 are there.

Edit Edit: Holy poo poo that Saint-Louis 1904 Marathon.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 29, 2017

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Kim Justice posted:

Actually, I'll expand more. I don't get the "running up the score" thing as it's a concept that doesn't really exist in sports that are popular here. If a team's 5-0 up in football, then 9 times out of 10 they'll be going for six and no-one will say that it's a bad show. Same with Rugby and other sports...the only sport I can really think of where "running up the score" would potentially be a bad thing is Cricket, and even then that's a strategic thing -- while you could theoretically score 800 runs in an inning, you've still actually got to leave enough game time to put the other team in bat and bowl them out, otherwise the game will be a draw. So the batting team would usually declare long before they reached such a point.

I think this concept of not running up the score as sportsmanship varies a lot on how important point differential is in standings. In (European) football, from my understanding, goal differential comes up somewhat often as a tie-breaker (or at least it does in tournaments) so nobody's going to be surprised that you keep going with the points until the end. Also said football also has the advantage of a continuously running clock for a de facto mercy rule. For an example of a game like American football, which has a clock that keeps stopping, and running up the score, see this Pretty Good episode 222-0

Then again, run differential rules result in some oddball events like two teams who have no reason to play any more after a certain score is reached, like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gij%F3n

Though it's present in a lot of American sports, it rarely if ever comes down to goal/run/point differential, due to more matchups, more inter-division/league games, etc. so running up the score is seen as pointless and possibly a way to get people on both teams injured for no reason.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Edit: Got to the brilliant Jack Bauer episode, and there seems to be an episode missing on the playlist? Only 12 episodes out of 13 are there.

Edit Edit: Holy poo poo that Saint-Louis 1904 Marathon.
Sorry, double post.

There appears to be a lost episode about Stanislov Petrov: https://www.sbnation.com/2015/8/27/9215363/stanislav-petrov-pretty-good - it's in the shop for copyright reasons. They promised to bring it back, but it's been a while so I wouldn't bet on it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

achillesforever6 posted:

History Buffs did his part II on season 2 of Rome where the show was hosed over because HBO and BBC couldn't handle splurging tons of money into something beautiful and then HBO decided to start Game of Thrones and give it 8 seasons :negative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz8WWIz_a-I

HBO hosed themselves in those years. They originally ordered 3 seasons of ROME before the first one had aired, built sets on location and then poo poo themselves when it wasn't a SOPRANOS sized hit for them. At the same time they had DEADWOOD and CARNIVALE, both shows that were of huge expense to them and both shows that also were not SOPRANOS sized hits. DEADWOOD didn't do bad worldwide except that whoops, HBO sold the international rights off to Sony Television. The BBC barely warrant a mention because as those shows are often billed as a 'co-production', in reality, BBC throws in a small amount of the budget in exchange for exclusive rights.

It's a shame because the plans for ROME and CARNIVALE sounded great but HBO lost it for a while.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's a good review. I'm reading SPQR by Mary Beard and it's crazy how much history from that time is mostly educated guess-work taken from every bit of recovered artifacts from the period. Biographies were often written 100+ years after the fact, and events of the time were written by the winners (as history usually is), so getting a really accurate or impartial view of events is extremely hard. A lot of what we know of about the end of the Republic and the Rise of Caesar is from Cicero's personal correspondence to his friends and colleagues. Very little survived from that period since Rome has been sacked, burned and dismantled by everyone after it fell. The only reason why the Pantheon is still whole and in really good shape is because it was converted to a Christian church.

And all that's just on the major players in Roman history. It's even harder to understand what life was like for the average Roman or a woman or slave. If you have any passing interest in the subject matter, I highly recommend the book. It paints a pretty good picture of what life was like in Roman taken from all the evidence available. It's funny how much MRAs point to that time as the pinnacle of human happiness and all that poo poo. It was anything but and it's kind of scary to see parallels between the fall of the Republic and what's currently going on in the US.

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016
Every podcaster fears they will make a podcast as grating and uninteresting as WEE. Even the WEE Team.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Jimbot posted:

That's a good review. I'm reading SPQR by Mary Beard and it's crazy how much history from that time is mostly educated guess-work taken from every bit of recovered artifacts from the period. Biographies were often written 100+ years after the fact, and events of the time were written by the winners (as history usually is), so getting a really accurate or impartial view of events is extremely hard. A lot of what we know of about the end of the Republic and the Rise of Caesar is from Cicero's personal correspondence to his friends and colleagues. Very little survived from that period since Rome has been sacked, burned and dismantled by everyone after it fell. The only reason why the Pantheon is still whole and in really good shape is because it was converted to a Christian church.

And all that's just on the major players in Roman history. It's even harder to understand what life was like for the average Roman or a woman or slave. If you have any passing interest in the subject matter, I highly recommend the book. It paints a pretty good picture of what life was like in Roman taken from all the evidence available. It's funny how much MRAs point to that time as the pinnacle of human happiness and all that poo poo. It was anything but and it's kind of scary to see parallels between the fall of the Republic and what's currently going on in the US.

I'm no history expert, but 'The Satyricon' written just after the period Rome the HBO show is from (Nero's reign I think) is a surviving 'novel' (most likely serialised from what I have read) that gives a (obviously skewed but I'd argue still fun) view at lower class life. It's a comedy that features lots of 'upstart' slaves who have become free, and lots of plebian's becoming rich landowners and acting crassly with lots of jokes that fly over the head of someone like me about Roman manners. But even to a layman its fun reading a first hand scene of a Roman dinner, and there are still some funny parts that are ageless, like the Main character is an ex-gladiator who offended a sex God and is now cursed to live the life of an ancient roman sex comedy, with his slave boyfriend constantly being stolen by jealous mobs, running into ex's who then either try to steal him or his boyfriend, or getting captured by slavers then becoming pirates and all sorts of wacky things.

So in addition to that factual book, anyone wanting to get a feel of ancient roman life/society may want to check this out too, to see what their version of the american pie series is.

It's very fragmented, but you can look up theories on what came between and several parts are still fun to read without the greater context.

(I will not add spoiler tags for a book that is almost two thousand years old)

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 30, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
One thing I do disagree with is omitting Marc Antony's speech at Caesar's funeral; I kind of liked how they got around just doing the Shakespeare speech from Julius Caesar plus it adds to the mystique of the speech since no one really know's what Antony said.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

cosmically_cosmic posted:

drat you Maximus, I was just about to get around to reading it! :argh:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'm no history expert, but 'The Satyricon' written just after the period Rome the HBO show is from (Nero's reign I think) is a surviving 'novel' (most likely serialised from what I have read) that gives a (obviously skewed but I'd argue still fun) view at lower class life. It's a comedy that features lots of 'upstart' slaves who have become free, and lots of plebian's becoming rich landowners and acting crassly with lots of jokes that fly over the head of someone like me about Roman manners. But even to a layman its fun reading a first hand scene of a Roman dinner, and there are still some funny parts that are ageless, like the Main character is an ex-gladiator who offended a sex God and is now cursed to live the life of an ancient roman sex comedy, with his slave boyfriend constantly being stolen by jealous mobs, running into ex's who then either try to steal him or his boyfriend, or getting captured by slavers then becoming pirates and all sorts of wacky things.

So in addition to that factual book, anyone wanting to get a feel of ancient roman life/society may want to check this out too, to see what their version of the american pie series is.

It's very fragmented, but you can look up theories on what came between and several parts are still fun to read without the greater context.

It's just like one of my Japanese anime

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

You know this thread gets a lot of stick, and to be fair a lot of its deserved, but it never fails to be an excellent way to discover new things. Thank you I'm reading the Gutenberg E-pub version right now. Also thanks to whomever brought up Nemesis the Warlock in the 40K chat earlier. It reminded me and I've managed to work through the first two volumes.

Oh and Kyle just uploaded a vid about a documentary on Sherman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feo09a1aywQ

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Jack Bauer episode of Pretty Good is one of my favourite Youtube videos of all time. It's so good.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

JordanKai posted:

The Jack Bauer episode of Pretty Good is one of my favourite Youtube videos of all time. It's so good.

I WISH EVERYONE ELSE WAS DEAD.

:black101:

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Kyle, liked the Sherman's March vid. The documentary has been on my personal to watch list for years and I've also been putting it off.

I had seen bits of the film but didn't know it brought up the Georgia Guidestones. For many flavors of right wing conspiracy theorist, the guidestones are proof that some combination of George Soros and Ras Al Ghul is planning to invade America with the UN and put everyone* in FEMA camps. So, once again that vision of apocalyptic invasions circles in on itself.

Anyway, I genuinely don't know if you or the film did that on purpose and I'm not going to have a chance to watch it any time soon, so.... intentional or coincidence?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Movies With Mikey does Creed

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I should probably watch more of this guy's stuff, this was a solid video.
I sometimes forget that Creed's inciting incident was that Apollo put on a pair of American Flag shorts and fought a giant cartoon Russian played by Dolph Lundgren. Then I remember that and I just laugh.

Mark Brown did a video on the two different remakes of Metroid II. I disagree with a bit of what he said but it's mostly a good analysis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WkEoYvlUF0

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Didn't see this posted up, but here's that video Marzgirl promised explaining why she called quits on CA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FawsXsKc6K4

Spoilers CA's management are a bunch of loving dipshits, it's almost like there's a theme to everyone fleeing the site.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

HBG is now nattering on about a new subject: VHS. The format.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbZMqS-fW-8

It's pretty great.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Puppy Time posted:

HBG is now nattering on about a new subject: VHS. The format.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbZMqS-fW-8

It's pretty great.

That was pretty great. His thoughts on lo-fidelity visuals helping the horror of VHS movies reminds me of conversations I've had about low-fidelity video games and how those games were sometimes better at selling horror. Games that used sprites could be uniquely scary because the visualization had to be condensed into a pixelated image not bigger than 16 or 32 pixels. That representation orequired the use of an imagination and that's where the fright, the horror, really begins.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

SteelMentor posted:

Didn't see this posted up, but here's that video Marzgirl promised explaining why she called quits on CA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FawsXsKc6K4

Spoilers CA's management are a bunch of loving dipshits, it's almost like there's a theme to everyone fleeing the site.

Um, actually, I think you're mixing that up with Dena's "Goodbye Channel Awesome" video.

Edit: Sorry, got mixed up... Um, actually, I think you're mixing that up with Weird Video Game's "Goodbye Channel Awesome" video.

Edit: Sorry AGAIN, got mixed up... Um, actually, I think you're mixing that up with Animerica's "Goodbye Channel Awesome" video.

Edit: loving hell, Sorry AGAIN, got mixed up... Um, actually, I think you're mixing that up with Count Jackula... no wait The Sci Fi Guy... no wait Dan Olson... no wait...

Actual Real Fake Edit: 104 former producers and counting... http://thatguywiththeglasses.wikia.com/wiki/Former_Contributors

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Hmm. I like this interviewer guy. He has a good voice, he is asking direct and relevant questions. Let's see what else he has done...

*Clicks on video titled "'Gamergate is never going away' - ExtraMana Response"*

Oh.

Oh no.

Ohhhhhh ):

The article in question is a rather overblown, pearl-clutching piece trying to connect 12-year old idiots and their adult equivalents making overblown statements (i.e: "You should kill yourself") on that Cuphead video thing to Gamergate. While I agree that calls for suicide are terrible - the article itself is a bit :rolleyes:.

In the video ExtraMana outs himself as a (de Facto) supporter of Gamergate, or at least the 'No really it was always about Ethics in game journalism, the Quinspiracy is verifiable fact, guys" variety. He even tries to state that the term 'Alt Right' only started appearing during the Trump campaign.

For clarification: I am not suggesting that MarzGurl is forever tainted via association with an individual I no longer wish to provide with clicks. The video above was posted 3 weeks ago, is one of only a handful of videos on his YouTube channel, several of which are other former CA producers.

Yust providing a suggestion that you skim over future ExtraMana content.

*sigh*

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Extramana also had way, WAY more videos that were clowning on Spoony that he decided to delete for some reason.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

KayTee posted:

Hmm. I like this interviewer guy. He has a good voice, he is asking direct and relevant questions. Let's see what else he has done...

*Clicks on video titled "'Gamergate is never going away' - ExtraMana Response"*

Oh.

Oh no.

Ohhhhhh ):

The article in question is a rather overblown, pearl-clutching piece trying to connect 12-year old idiots and their adult equivalents making overblown statements (i.e: "You should kill yourself") on that Cuphead video thing to Gamergate. While I agree that calls for suicide are terrible - the article itself is a bit :rolleyes:.

In the video ExtraMana outs himself as a (de Facto) supporter of Gamergate, or at least the 'No really it was always about Ethics in game journalism, the Quinspiracy is verifiable fact, guys" variety. He even tries to state that the term 'Alt Right' only started appearing during the Trump campaign.

For clarification: I am not suggesting that MarzGurl is forever tainted via association with an individual I no longer wish to provide with clicks. The video above was posted 3 weeks ago, is one of only a handful of videos on his YouTube channel, several of which are other former CA producers.

Yust providing a suggestion that you skim over future ExtraMana content.

*sigh*

Oh, ohhh, oh noooo.

I just saw this one vid on Lupa's Tumblr and didn't bother to watch anything after that.

Christ, Goobergaters will never just loving leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Policing creators who don't have the same opinions on issues you do is one of the reasons why this thread goes to utter poo poo on a regular basis. I don't want to bang on this drum too much but I've seen folks here group people like Armored Skeptic and The Golden One together before - one being a left-leaning skeptic and the other a committed White Nationalist...I dunno, that seems to sum up the knowledge people actually have about the other side here. The anti-SJW's, if you will.

I mean, I don't know this fella at all and "videos about old Internet Critic drama" interest me about as much as Kinder Surprise Egg videos do, but all I'm getting here is "guy responds to bad article written by person who doesn't want August 2014 to end, says that he supported GG, is therefore bad and shouldn't be watched again" and "guy didn't hear of the term "Alt-Right" before Trump campaign happened" (which is probably the case for a lot of people regardless of where their politics lie). How much is that really saying about what's in the video though? And I know that you clarified that this shouldn't say anything bad about MarzGurl, but even the thought of that is kind of irritating in many ways.

It's more understandable if we're talking about a guy who, I dunno, has videos where he'd like to talk to you about the Jewish Question or whatever...but not really video games? Seems extreme.

• Locked thread