Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Being accidentally beamed into open space is a hell of a red shirt death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

mycomancy posted:

Is this on the campus of the University of Wisconsin-Madison?

I'd bet 2 strips of latinum that it was taken from in front of the Law school and those are the red doors on the Education building.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Marshal Radisic posted:

As for the subject of "alternate Treks" in general, for some reason one of my favorite things are those "timeline where one character is replaced by someone else" episodes, particularly with speculation of what these characters are doing in the Prime timeline. I mean, Thelin was good enough to be first officer of the original Enterprise, and Thomas Halloway got to command the Enterprise-D, so how did their careers go in the regular timeline? They do occasionally pop up in regular EU novels, but they always seem to be treated rather poorly. (Thelin got killed by an avalanche on an away mission, while Halloway was killed at Wolf 359.)

I'm always really disappointed they didn't go with their original idea in "Tapestry" of mentioning that Jellico was captain in the alternate timeline.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

Same.

There's a version of First Contact that only exists in my head where Sisko is in the movie. Sisko replaces Lily's role in the story and acts as Picard's foil \ rival. Worf is kind of stuck in the middle and is torn between his two Captains. Eventually the two Captains put aside their differences and learn to respect each other and work together. It would have been awesome.

(Yes, I know Picard and Sisko learn to respect each other and put aside their differences in the DS9 pilot. But First Contact kind of ignores all the TNG episodes with Hugh in them and uncharacteristically makes Picard into Ahab so if they're going to do that, they might as well do this too)

You cannot deny Ben Sisko. This version of First Contact exists. In my mind. I created it! And it's REEEEAAAAAAALLL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zFOdQYmTrk

Uh yeah this would have loving owned and been tons better than the "good" TNG movie we got.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
:lol: McCoy likes the sight of crying children
Triumphant music swells as the children realize they're now orphans, everyone's smiling but them
"Set a course for the Space Orphanage, and straight on til morning"
Sobbing grows louder but it's drowned out by the end credit music

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
First Contact will forever annoy me for giving the Borg a queen.

My head canon is that the there was only one Borg cube ever-- and that the Hugh thing never happened. They got zapped by Q to meet the cube. The cube saw them, liked their technology, and spent 2 years at maximum warp to find Earth.

Now that's a collective. Just one ship, getting bigger and bigger.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This had to be an allegory for homosexuality right?

Yep. That's why Frakes pushed so hard to have her part played by a male actor instead of female.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah if that had been a male actor 90s people would have lost their loving minds.

There probably would have been organized boycotts, dropped sponsors, and a lot of stations would have refused to show the episode. A couple would probably have dropped the series.

I think today, if they tried to do a similar episode and it wasn't a male actor, they would be castigated online and there would be boycotts and dropped sponsors.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Astroman posted:

There probably would have been organized boycotts, dropped sponsors, and a lot of stations would have refused to show the episode. A couple would probably have dropped the series.

I think today, if they tried to do a similar episode and it wasn't a male actor, they would be castigated online and there would be boycotts and dropped sponsors.
There would be a couple blog posts about how gutless it was as a half-measure and a massive campaign from the right to boycott the show for being progressive propaganda and what about the children and the gays are all pedophiles and rapists, and then there'd be peaople making false equivalences about those two things and how they're two sides of the same coin.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah if that had been a male actor 90s people would have lost their loving minds.

Astroman posted:

LividLiquid posted:

There would be a couple blog posts about how gutless it was as a half-measure and a massive campaign from the right to boycott the show for being progressive propaganda and what about the children and the gays are all pedophiles and rapists, and then there'd be peaople making false equivalences about those two things and how they're two sides of the same coin.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Astroman posted:

I really doubt this. Show me an example of a show getting boycotted for being not-progressive enough.

Tim Allen's "I'm a conservative male and this sitcom is all about me owning dumb liberals" show ran for 6 loving seasons and wasn't cancelled due to boycotts, just lack of ratings.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Astroman posted:

I really wish this would have happened at the time because this show was most station's crown jewel. It had spectacular ratings and the stations got to sell more ads for it locally due to it being syndicated. I have no doubt that several stations would have refused to air the episode, but how many would really have dropped the series? I tend to think none. Businesses like money.

Too bad we'll never know.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It would be so confusing if this just happened to be the first episode anyone saw.

This was the first episode of TNG I saw.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WampaLord posted:

I really doubt this. Show me an example of a show getting boycotted for being not-progressive enough.

Tim Allen's "I'm a conservative male and this sitcom is all about me owning dumb liberals" show ran for 6 loving seasons and wasn't cancelled due to boycotts, just lack of ratings.
If you mean Home Improvement, I'm going to be fair to the convicted coke dealer that it seemed more like a regular situation comedy, based on the number of episodes I had to watch as a childe. His liberal sidekick was portrayed as being way more together anyway.

I think had the episode in question done what we are discussing it would have caused a huge hullaballoo but I'm not sure how it would've shaken out. 'A huge hullaballoo' was exactly what Rick Berman was trying to avoid, I gather.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

If you mean Home Improvement, I'm going to be fair to the convicted coke dealer that it seemed more like a regular situation comedy, based on the number of episodes I had to watch as a childe. His liberal sidekick was portrayed as being way more together anyway.

No, Last Man Standing. It was just cancelled this year.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Nessus posted:

His most recent sitcom was called Last Man Standing.
You can pretty much extrapolate everything you need to know about it from the title.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Don't expect season 2 of Discovery until 2019.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So CBS's big plan to get people onto All Access service is to make a few episodes of Star Trek and then not release anything more for 1.5 years?
That's... stupid.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
They're banking on all their other original programming they're going to be making. It's UPN 2.0! Homeboys in Outspace: The Next Generation here we come!

And I still haven't seen the pilot yet so I have no opinion on it. That's my story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Marshal Radisic posted:

That was Dark Mirror, and I didn't really read him as "cringey" so much as beaten down and resigned. He does get a good moment at the end, when Picard gives him the "one man with a vision" speech.

Ah, no, that's what I meant - "cringing" rather than "cringey". As in, he's the one doing the cringing, not the one making people cringe. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm just gonna say this again cause I'm watching it with my kid right now. The best Star Trek show on air right now is not Discovery or The Orville, it's Octonauts. It's just fantastic.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm just gonna say this again cause I'm watching it with my kid right now. The best Star Trek show on air right now is not Discovery or The Orville, it's Octonauts. It's just fantastic.

My nephew is obsessed with that show

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

That's good, because I'm trying out the Orville and....
Well, man, this is trying to be funny and it's not. Some of the characters are ok? IDK, I'm only in episode 2, does it try to say anything or is it just Star Trek flavoured noise?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah it says some stuff. Episode three is really the first social commentary episode. Episode four is some religious commentary. Both do a decent job of not being self righteous or overly preachy while getting an idea across.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah it says some stuff. Episode three is really the first social commentary episode. Episode four is some religious commentary. Both do a decent job of not being self righteous or overly preachy while getting an idea across.

Ok, I'll keep soldiering on then, I plan on giving both major shows their first seasons to win me over. I'm hoping both will.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Bloop posted:

My nephew is obsessed with that show

It's a shame all the characters look like Funko Pops or I'd watch it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching Cause and Effect. The lighting made me afraid they were on yesterday's Enterprise for a second. Whoa what

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Everyone's dead. They died.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Everyone's dead. They died.

and so, star trek: the next generation ended

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There a famous country song based on this episode, or is it the other way around?

Orv
May 4, 2011
And the warp field rolls.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So Crusher must be outside of time somehow. That made more sense when it was Guinan, but maybe they'll explain it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh maybe it's not just Crusher, since 10 other people heard voices.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jesus, are they condemned to blow up for eternity because they got stuck in a spacetime loop

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yes.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh boy more people can feel it. I like the first person Crusher POV shot when Riker predicts the future, it's just the right disconcerting vibe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's why this is the series finale

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I think they did a different, more spectacular explosion the third time. Anyway the premise is so simple and I like it so much I haven't had much to say.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

When Crusher's giving examples of premonitions why would she start with Geordi happening to come into sick bay instead of the fact that their poker table predicted twelve cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think they did a different, more spectacular explosion the third time. Anyway the premise is so simple and I like it so much I haven't had much to say.
I really like that every time we get a different view of the explosion and the chaos on the bridge beforehand. It keeps what would be the most repetitive part fresh.