Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The wall of fire on the bridge is a legit impressive effect for 1991 television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This is a fantastic episode and has a real loving gem of a finish.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Lord Hydronium posted:

I really like that every time we get a different view of the explosion and the chaos on the bridge beforehand. It keeps what would be the most repetitive part fresh.

Cause and Effect is one of my top five TNG episodes and this is why. I love how everything builds up and there's just this constant sense of escalating weirdness.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Jonathan Frakes directed this one, and this is probably why he has a very successful television directing career to this day.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching Cause and Effect. The lighting made me afraid they were on yesterday's Enterprise for a second. Whoa what

That was the best cold open.

Especially before Voyager got into the habit of blowing up and resetting the ship every other week.

Lord Hydronium posted:

I really like that every time we get a different view of the explosion and the chaos on the bridge beforehand. It keeps what would be the most repetitive part fresh.

I kinda wish they'd enhanced the weaker Enterprise explosions in the remaster in the same way they did for the Borg in Best of Both Worlds.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 1, 2017

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

8one6 posted:

Goddamn is Measure of a Man a fantastic episode!

Get the TNG Blu-rays, there's an extended cut of that episode! Back in the day, as a thank you for the fantastic script, the writer of the episode was sent a VHS copy of the episode containing scenes that got cut to fit broadcast runtime. The producers of the Blu-rays used that copy to find the footage of the cut scenes in their archive, remaster them for HD, and reinsert them back into the episode. Bumps the runtime from 44 minutes to nearly and hour.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I love how everything's shot from a different perspective each time, whether it's just a different camera angle or being in a completely different room as an event happens.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh poo poo they don't know they're from 80 years ago and they've got the uniforms and everything

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

HD DAD posted:

Jonathan Frakes directed this one, and this is probably why he has a very successful television directing career to this day.

I'm looking forward to the episode of The Orville he's directing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I didn't even notice it was Kelsey Grammar

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Episode over. That was amazing. My posts were sparse because it held my interest so intensely like a thriller or something. That might have been the best-directed episode ever, or at least the one where the direction most complemented what was happening. And the reveal of what exactly three meant was so good. Everything was.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They originally wanted the Bozeman to be a Connie, but couldn't budget it. Although I'm kinda surprised they didn't have enough suitable existing bluescreen footage from the movies to pull it off.

They also wanted Saavik to be there to complete the Cheers bridge.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I didn't even notice it was Kelsey Grammar

That was the gem I was talking about!

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

That episode was great Trek all around. I think it came out before Groundhog Day, too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, that would've been neat:

quote:

65 CLOSE ON SAUCER SECTION (OPTICAL)

We see the huge main shuttlebay DOORS OPEN a crack --
light spills out from the inside, and a gust of VAPOR
jets out, becoming a gale force as the doors open
further...

66 WIDER ANGLE (OPTICAL)

as the Enterprise takes a gentle NOSE DIVE, tumbling
downward and out of the way. The other ship just
misses us. As this happens, the Enterprise leaves
behind several ghostly AFTERIMAGES of itself --
Enterprises from previous loops. Each afterimage plays
out the same fate, as they all hit the other ship and
EXPLODE...

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Oh poo poo they don't know they're from 80 years ago and they've got the uniforms and everything

That ship type hadn't been in service for 80 years... Didn't Frasier say it was 2200 something and TNG is 2400 something?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jago posted:

That ship type hadn't been in service for 80 years... Didn't Frasier say it was 2200 something and TNG is 2400 something?

2278 and 2368. 90 years lost.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I don't ever recall there being an episode of Voyager where the Doctor become some sort of operatic singer on an alien planet.

And yet, here we are.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

They originally wanted the Bozeman to be a Connie, but couldn't budget it.

I've never seen a quote to this effect, but I strongly suspect that Image G more or less wasn't physically able to work with the eight foot movie model, given that they'd had such difficulty with the six foot Ent-D model. There were a couple of other episodes in the series where the writers wanted a Constitution and instead got the Constellation.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

MikeJF posted:

They originally wanted the Bozeman to be a Connie, but couldn't budget it. Although I'm kinda surprised they didn't have enough suitable existing bluescreen footage from the movies to pull it off.

Originally, Ron Moore was hoping it'd be not just a Connie, but a original-series era Connie, with a classic bridge and uniforms. A pity they couldn't afford it - I think it would have had more impact than the movie uniforms do in emphasizing just how long the other ship was stuck...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Angry Salami posted:

Originally, Ron Moore was hoping it'd be not just a Connie, but a original-series era Connie, with a classic bridge and uniforms. A pity they couldn't afford it - I think it would have had more impact than the movie uniforms do in emphasizing just how long the other ship was stuck...
They got hold of the bridge for the Scotty episode. What gives? Or was that mostly smoke and mirrors? I know there's that guy in upstate NY who builds Trek sets for fun because upstate is rough.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Nessus posted:

They got hold of the bridge for the Scotty episode. What gives? Or was that mostly smoke and mirrors? I know there's that guy in upstate NY who builds Trek sets for fun because upstate is rough.

IIRC, that set was only a slice of the original and the rest was extended by bluescreen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

That bridge was actually borrowed from a fan. But also, Cause and Effect was already very high-budget for a regular weekly episode, with all of those Enterprise explosion shots.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Kazy posted:

I'm looking forward to the episode of The Orville he's directing.

Well I'm looking forward to the discovery episode he's directing.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I always thought it odd that the Enterprise's right-hand nacelle is the one that gets bumped, but in the explosion money shot it's the left-hand nacelle that explodes first: you'd think they would have thought to mirror the recorded footage or something.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

yeah actually they will posted:

Well I'm looking forward to the discovery episode he's directing.

It can be both.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

spincube posted:

I always thought it odd that the Enterprise's right-hand nacelle is the one that gets bumped, but in the explosion money shot it's the left-hand nacelle that explodes first: you'd think they would have thought to mirror the recorded footage or something.

You could see that the starboard/right nacelle was damaged and offline in the shots, so they couldn't really flip it when the fireworks blew the port/left one first. They filmed those by packing them with explosives, dropping them from the roof with a camera that tracked as they fell, and blowing them up mid-air. They collected the bits and ended up being able to reuse some of them on DS9 for the Odyssey debris.

Just say that the port nacelle exploded first because it was the only one plugged in at the time.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 1, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Like filling a balloon with too much air!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Uh, Holy poo poo? Voyager 1 x 13, "Faces".

Paris, Torres, and Durst are captured by Vidiians, the alien species suffering from the Phage who all look like ghouls from Fallout 2.

One of their doctors splits up Torres into both her human and klingon halves as two separate individuals through some funky genetic sequencing / cloning / technomumbojumbo. So there are two Torres' one fully human, one fully klingon.

Okay, all good Star Trek so far, right? Pretty standard stuff, now we'll no doubt get Hewmon Torres and Klingon Torres meeting each other, and it's a vehicle for self-examination.

Then the Vidiian doctor literally carves off the face of crewman Durst and wears it on his face so he can look prettier for Klingon Torres in order to seduce her.

This is season 1 Voyager. Man I do not remember it being this hosed.

And the crazy thing? When Paris / Chakotay see their former colleague's face grafted onto an alien, nobody even seems to notice! Like, it's not a big deal?!

Klingon Torres dies, and Hewmon Torres lives. The Doctor simply injects her with some of her Klingon DNA and she'll grow back into a half-Klingon or something.

Next episode, Torres is back to normal, and doesn't even act like half of her was carved out and killed before her eyes. Durst's body lies lifeless and faceless and organless.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 1, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Had it been Farscape they would have kept Human!Torres and Klingon!Torres around for at least an episode or two.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm just gonna say this again cause I'm watching it with my kid right now. The best Star Trek show on air right now is not Discovery or The Orville, it's Octonauts. It's just fantastic.

My friend does a daily 'Today on Octonauts' on twitter, and I love every single one.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/889155640173760514

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Uh, Holy poo poo? Voyager 1 x 13, "Faces".

Paris, Torres, and Durst are captured by Vidiians, the alien species suffering from the Phage who all look like ghouls from Fallout 2.

One of their doctors splits up Torres into both her human and klingon halves as two separate individuals through some funky genetic sequencing / cloning / technomumbojumbo. So there are two Torres' one fully human, one fully klingon.

Okay, all good Star Trek so far, right? Pretty standard stuff, now we'll no doubt get Hewmon Torres and Klingon Torres meeting each other, and it's a vehicle for self-examination.

Then the Vidiian doctor literally carves off the face of crewman Durst and wears it on his face so he can look prettier for Klingon Torres in order to seduce her.

This is season 1 Voyager. Man I do not remember it being this hosed.

And the crazy thing? When Paris / Chakotay see their former colleague's face grafted onto an alien, nobody even seems to notice! Like, it's not a big deal?!

Klingon Torres dies, and Hewmon Torres lives. The Doctor simply injects her with some of her Klingon DNA and she'll grow back into a half-Klingon or something.

Next episode, Torres is back to normal, and doesn't even act like half of her was carved out and killed before her eyes. Durst's body lies lifeless and faceless and organless.

Yeah this is why I hate Voyager. All of it is dark and not in a fun, Cardassian way. Besides the Vidiians and Kazon do you remember the episode where Janeway dies and meets literal Satan disguising himself as her dad and trying to get her to come to hell? Or the episode where a bunch of people are caught in a virtual reality psychological torture chamber with a sadistic clown? Half of the show is made of lovely episodes of Are you Afraid of the Dark, the ship is dark and unappealing, the bridge looks like a nightclub. Don't watch Voyager.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The vidiians are an interesting reached for sure though. They do all this poo poo out of desperation and necessity. It's nice that they eventually are cured.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Shibawanko posted:

Or the episode where a bunch of people are caught in a virtual reality psychological torture chamber with a sadistic clown?

I watched all of voyager as a kid and that's the one I remember most

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shibawanko posted:

Or the episode where a bunch of people are caught in a virtual reality psychological torture chamber with a sadistic clown?

That's the one where Janeway reprograms the holodeck character to be a better fuckbuddy for her, right? :v:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I watched all of voyager as a kid and that's the one I remember most

I know! It's the most Voyager episode in all of Voyager. It's even listed as a "good" episode in most lists. It just creeped me out, it wasn't really fun to watch. That big ape creature who says "ooga booga" to a baby Harry Kim comes to mind.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah this is why I hate Voyager. All of it is dark and not in a fun, Cardassian way. Besides the Vidiians and Kazon do you remember the episode where Janeway dies and meets literal Satan disguising himself as her dad and trying to get her to come to hell? Or the episode where a bunch of people are caught in a virtual reality psychological torture chamber with a sadistic clown? Half of the show is made of lovely episodes of Are you Afraid of the Dark, the ship is dark and unappealing, the bridge looks like a nightclub. Don't watch Voyager.

This is a good point and gets overlooked when most people complain about Voyager as not committing to its concept and hitting the reset button all the time: it was very rarely fun. Basically everyone outside of the Doctor and Sever were dour, witless characters that were joyless to watch. Tom Paris never came off as witty or charming, and they probably spent more episodes torturing him than anything else. Torres was grumpy. Neelix was too creepy early on to ever really work. Harry was...Harry.

Similarly, everyone tries to pretend DS9 was Sisko chasing Eddington or In The Pale Moonlight. It was loaded with lighthearted episodes. You had at least 3 Quark episodes a season to keep some levity. Garak was a charmer. Bashir and O'Brien had bromance.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 1, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

This is a good point and gets overlooked when most people complain about Voyager as not committing to its concept and hitting the reset button all the time: it was very rarely fun. Basically everyone outside of the Doctor and Sever were dour, witless characters that were joyless to watch. Tom Paris never came off as witty or charming, and they probably spent more episodes torturing him than anything else. Torres was grumpy. Neelix was too creepy early on to ever really work. Harry was...Harry.

Similarly, everyone tries to pretend DS9 was Sisko chasing Eddington or In The Pale Moonlight. It was loaded with lighthearted episodes. You had at least 3 Quark episodes a season to keep some levity. Garak was a charmer. Bashir and O'Brien had bromance.

Yeah when DS9 is dark, it's usually because it's in a context of war, or because of some problem that you can take seriously. The mirror episodes are an exception.

Voyager is dark in an oogie boogie, spiritual kind of way. It deals with fear and nightmares and chaotic dimensions and the afterlife and magical indian rituals. It's basically a gothic horror adventure show, like they outsourced the scenario writing to a local Wicca coven. It doesn't need to be set in space. There's only a handful of episodes where it really feels like speculative science fiction, I like the episode "Blink of an Eye" for example, and the "Year of Hell" two parter. Other than those the delta quadrant feels like the haunted house part of space, it isn't a place where you can have cool adventures, it isn't even about tough survival situations, it's mostly about fighting ghosts and demons or hostile alien species with some kind of implausibly sadistic or depressing racial trait.

In DS9 you get some throwaway episodes where implausible stuff happens, like when a runabout shrunk to the size of a golf ball and they flew around a Klingon infested defiant fixing circuit boards, but it's always fun and speculative, not gothic.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

If it more Crazy Overacting Sisko and way less Quark (like none at all, that would be best), it would have been a better show. It is still the most overrated Trek, which is hard to do when you have TOS to compete with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah when DS9 is dark, it's usually because it's in a context of war, or because of some problem that you can take seriously. The mirror episodes are an exception.

Voyager is dark in an oogie boogie, spiritual kind of way. It deals with fear and nightmares and chaotic dimensions and the afterlife and magical indian rituals. It's basically a gothic horror adventure show, like they outsourced the scenario writing to a local Wicca coven. It doesn't need to be set in space. There's only a handful of episodes where it really feels like speculative science fiction, I like the episode "Blink of an Eye" for example, and the "Year of Hell" two parter. Other than those the delta quadrant feels like the haunted house part of space, it isn't a place where you can have cool adventures, it isn't even about tough survival situations, it's mostly about fighting ghosts and demons or hostile alien species with some kind of implausibly sadistic or depressing racial trait.

In DS9 you get some throwaway episodes where implausible stuff happens, like when a runabout shrunk to the size of a golf ball and they flew around a Klingon infested defiant fixing circuit boards, but it's always fun and speculative, not gothic.

This is accurate. It's like the producers saw Sub-Rosa and went "I want seven years of that, please".

...actually, TNG season 7 truly was the blueprint for Voyager.