Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's completely forgettable. All I really remember is that there's a Space Shark named Red Tane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

AndyElusive posted:

Hey dudes, I don't mean to interrupt Lionel Richie chat but my local big chain bookstore has a paperback copy of Red Tithe in stock.

Is it any good? Because I'm trying to picture how a book about Space Sharks vs Night Lords could end up bad but I dunno...

It's not bad. A significant cut under Abnett/ADB though.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Hey dudes, I don't mean to interrupt Lionel Richie chat but my local big chain bookstore has a paperback copy of Red Tithe in stock.

Is it any good? Because I'm trying to picture how a book about Space Sharks vs Night Lords could end up bad but I dunno...

It wasnt bad but it wasnt good, I thought it was fun and kinda stupid but your milage may vary.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I remember the entire time I was reading it I kept thinking to myself that it was pretty dumb to take all of the casualties when they're supposed to be grabbing people to turn them into either space sharks or slavs

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Pendent posted:

I remember the entire time I was reading it I kept thinking to myself that it was pretty dumb to take all of the casualties when they're supposed to be grabbing people to turn them into either space sharks or slavs

TIL that the Night Lords are sponsored by Adidas.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Shroud posted:

If I still gave money to GW I would totally model a bunch of squatting CSM and paint them in Night Lords colors with three stripes on their legs.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Shroud posted:

Phone posting is... good?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Pendent posted:

Phone posting is... good?

That was a great phone post. 10/10 hearty chuckles.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I got the impression, specifically from Betrayer audiobook, that World Eaters were the slavs of 40k.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

MariusLecter posted:

I got the impression, specifically from Betrayer audiobook, that World Eaters were the slavs of 40k.

The Terrans that formed the first recruit classes of the legion were drawn mainly from what is now eastern Europe. The Death Guard, interestingly enough, came from the British Isles (or whatever they are in 30k, since all of Terra's oceans have been evaporated).

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
https://i.imgur.com/mJrnat0.jpg

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fearless posted:

The Terrans that formed the first recruit classes of the legion were drawn mainly from what is now eastern Europe. The Death Guard, interestingly enough, came from the British Isles (or whatever they are in 30k, since all of Terra's oceans have been evaporated).

Betrayer mentions that the World Eaters since leaving Terra have become perhaps the most racially diverse legion in the Imperium. A huge part of their pre-Angron culture was based around forming bonds of brotherhood and kinship and mutual loyalty as the foundation of the legion, and Kharn mentions that in no other legion would you find such a wide variety of skin tones, accents, and languages.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
I'm on chapter 11 of black legion. While one of the flaws of Talon of Horus was how it felt more like a group of characters than a singular character, I think BL does a good job of fleshing out Khayon as a main character. However I think in trying to thread the needle between "Saturday morning cartoon villain" and "too nice to be CSM" ADB falls too much in the latter category. To be fair, I haven't read his Night Lords books, and my understanding is that they are straight up evil, and ADB may have wanted to try something different. But to me Khayon seems rather idealistic and even sentimental. To me, the CSM always seemed more individually driven, religiously motivated or plain nihilistic. I guess he couldn't help it too much given GW's characterization of Abaddon and his motive being vengeance, but genuine camaderie seems to be going a little far.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The Night Lord Trilogy (and short stories) are still his best work, with maybe the exception of Betrayer. There's no shame in peaking early.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The point of the Black Legion is that it's how the chaos space marines regained their will to fight as one body, of course a CSM recounting that tale would be highly idealistic and sentimental.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Night Lords would have probably come across as more sentimental if there weren't several characters constantly calling Talos a naive idealist.

Also I think things happening in the Black Legion books have somewhat less impact since so far they've taken place inside the Eye. The assassination attempt at the beginning of the new book is pretty messed up if you overlook the fact that it's happening on a nasty plague planet. Not to mention Nefertari's, uhh, diet.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Khayon's idealism is often the focus, not the fact that he rips of people's souls and mind rapes them. If you stop and think about what Khayon does to his opponents it's pretty drat horrifying.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Khayon just likes to have a good time okay

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Khayon just likes to have a good time okay

Bros before xenos

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Unspoken - Guy Haley posted:

The charge gives out, the metal cooling slowly. Space is cold, but with no medium to carry the heat all must be lost via direct radiation.
It's such a little thing, but I really enjoy when authors play attention to physics.
You see failure to grasp the most basic concepts of physics with depressing commonality.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Black Legion Speculation Theory time:

What do you think is going to be the motive behind Khayon surrendering to the Inquisition? I doubt it'll be just so he can tell his story.

Theories:

1- So he can open a conduit portal at the right time. Having a whole company bypass Terra's defenses and pop up inside a key stronghold would fit the Black Legion's MO of striking for the throat admirably. A bit tricky since they locked away his sorcery, but who knows what plan they have in store.

2- So he could get to Sargon, who apparently has also been taken, either to free him or kill him before he spills something important.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Groetgaffel posted:

It's such a little thing, but I really enjoy when authors play attention to physics.
You see failure to grasp the most basic concepts of physics with depressing commonality.

Most Sci-Fi authors have no grasp of Physics, Science, Warfare, Weaponry, Vehicles, Scale, etc etc.

The good ones at least know how to gloss over it with compelling writing.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sephyr posted:

What do you think is going to be the motive behind Khayon surrendering to the Inquisition? I doubt it'll be just so he can tell his story.

Theories:

1- So he can open a conduit portal at the right time. Having a whole company bypass Terra's defenses and pop up inside a key stronghold would fit the Black Legion's MO of striking for the throat admirably. A bit tricky since they locked away his sorcery, but who knows what plan they have in store.

2- So he could get to Sargon, who apparently has also been taken, either to free him or kill him before he spills something important.

Boredom.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Or maybe he really missed a Shawarma shop back on Terra and would pay ANY price to eat there again.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Sephyr posted:

Theories:

The new Custodian book has a blurb about a bunch of high ranking black legion dudes just walking up to the inquisition and going "lol, lock me in the slammers coppers". Guess they realize their campaign has come to fruition and they just wanna gloat

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Just posting to say thanks to whoever recommended Carrion Throne. One of the better books and really paints the miserable world of 40k.

I did what someone else in the thread did too and re-read Master of Mankind before jumping in which added another layer to it.

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 29, 2017

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'd much rather read an ADB sentimental character over the EVVVVIIIL Chaos Space Marines. The adage around nobody being evil from their point of view holds true.*

*Disclaimer: It's perfectly acceptable in real life (and often dramatically good) to have individuals who are deranged, unhinged or just outright evil - But that's usually a sign of a significant breaking from the norm. There can and should be specific Chaos Space Marines who are simply right off the ledge, but the majority should have other motives for why they rebelled, and why they continued - Whether it was loyalty, being manipulated, or just plain anger at the Imperium, the fact they have carried on for so long should have a point, a purpose, and when the Black Legion restarts The Long War it should also be for a reason beyond 'we just hate what you did to us'.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Emperor created savage weapons, they yearn for brotherhood and battle, honour and glory. Blood and death.

"It is the nature of men to create monsters. It is the nature of monsters to destroy their creators." -Dr. Harlan Wade

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

The Emperor created savage weapons, they yearn for brotherhood and battle, honour and glory. Blood and death.

"It is the nature of men to create monsters. It is the nature of monsters to destroy their creators." -Dr. Harlan Wade

is that a FEAR quote?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Not sure if this is widely known, but some Black Library books are on Audible.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Immanentized posted:

is that a FEAR quote?

You know it. :c00l:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not sure if this is widely known, but some Black Library books are on Audible.

Holy poo poo, they finally saw sense.

Much obliged to you for the heads-up and time to reactivate my Audible account from it's Holiday.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Deptfordx posted:

Holy poo poo, they finally saw sense.

Much obliged to you for the heads-up and time to reactivate my Audible account from it's Holiday.

No problem, but I can't take credit - I heard it on the IC podcast, and am just passing it along, since I hadn't seen anyone post it yet.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
How is Black Legion so good

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Iron Rose posted:

How is Black Legion so good

ADB is genuinely an extremely talented author, and it's kind of crazy that he's writing shooty space man books for black library.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I feel like I've been out of the loop for too long, who is ADB?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Xenomrph posted:

I feel like I've been out of the loop for too long, who is ADB?

The guy that writes chaos marines really well. Like on par if not better than Abnett well. Night Lords trilogy, the new Black Legion series and Betrayer are high points to look at imho.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
He is a man who made the Night Lords, Black Legion, Word Bearers and the World Eaters in very interesting, three dimensional legions. Not an easy task

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
What are ADBs world eaters books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Uncle w Benefits posted:

What are ADBs world eaters books?

Betrayer, Butcher's Nails