Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Drake_263 posted:

I'm just gunna leave this here.

I have *just* been trying to figure out what surprise to brick up into the fireplace here, and halloween is right around the corner. Genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i dunno if this is crappy construction or interior design but w/e

if the tap is turned to either full hot or full cold, it can't turn on at all, due to the countertop blocking the tap

if you turn it on to full blast, the only setting it can be on is lukewarm
g

if this is code then code is wrong

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Do you have a picture?

No.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

i dunno if this is crappy construction or interior design but w/e

if the tap is turned to either full hot or full cold, it can't turn on at all, due to the countertop blocking the tap

if you turn it on to full blast, the only setting it can be on is lukewarm
g

Is that just a microwave, or is it a vent hood too?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Is that just a microwave, or is it a vent hood too?

It has controls for a vent hood but if it is an apartment 90% of the time it vents to loving nowhere.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

That pot is too small for that burner.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guy Axlerod posted:

That pot is too small for that burner.

Does it actually matter?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Does it actually matter?

Wasted energy and melted pot handles?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

Wasted energy and melted pot handles?

Oh I thought it was some sort of fancy new technology that might break down or something I don't know it all looks so futuristic.

This is what I'm used to:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nah basically the same.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

I hate stoves with controls at the back. Yeah, lemme just reach over all this boiling poo poo, it's cool, nothing will ever go wrong.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jordanis posted:

I hate stoves with controls at the back. Yeah, lemme just reach over all this boiling poo poo, it's cool, nothing will ever go wrong.

Spoken like someone without a toddler.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Spoken like someone without a toddler.

Got a 19-month-old, actually. She's reached up at the controls a couple times, gotten very firmly scolded, and now prefers to spend her time in the kitchen unloading all the ground-level cabinets.

It's a gas stove, so she wouldn't manage to turn it on and burn herself anyway--just asphyxiate or blow us up.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jordanis posted:

It's a gas stove, so she wouldn't manage to turn it on and burn herself anyway--just asphyxiate or blow us up.

It's the little joys in life that make everything worth it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bozart posted:

It has controls for a vent hood but if it is an apartment 90% of the time it vents to loving nowhere.

give the man a prize

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jordanis posted:

Got a 19-month-old, actually. She's reached up at the controls a couple times, gotten very firmly scolded, and now prefers to spend her time in the kitchen unloading all the ground-level cabinets.

You might consider pulling the knobs off the controls when you aren't using the stove, to make it harder to turn them on.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
:swoon:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I hope lunch is in there.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Model motorcycles?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm gonna guess third world country ballot box.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Javid posted:

Spain.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Javid posted:

Or Catalonia referendum.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

Nah basically the same.

OK good. What's the deal with "induction AKFJALSFJJs" tho? Whenever I'm buying new pots and pans they advertise as being compatible with induction inductive inducshit.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

glynnenstein posted:

Or Catalonia referendum.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Induction cooktops use electromagic to heat the cookware directly, there is no heating element in play. Need compatible materials though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

And my understanding of "compatible materials" is anything iron-y, like cast iron pans, steel pans, or "special" pans which are made of something else but have a lump of iron/steel in the bottom.

You can't use "normal" aluminium or copper because it's not ferromagnetic without said special lump.

The rule of thumb I've heard but not yet used is if a magnet will stick to the bottom you're good to go.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 1, 2017

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Someone give me the link to that really satisfying video of the dude laying concrete block. I want to show my wife.

Thanks!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

And my understanding of "compatible materials" is anything iron-y, like cast iron pans, steel pans, or "special" pans which are made of something else but have a lump of iron/steel in the bottom.

You can't use "normal" aluminium or copper because it's not ferromagnetic without said special lump.

The rule of thumb I've heard but not yet used is if a magnet will stick to the bottom you're good to go.

Oh OK I just bought a Tefal cast-aluminium pan that said it worked with induction stove-tops but I just use it with my regular old-rear end Strömberg hot-plate.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Someone give me the link to that really satisfying video of the dude laying concrete block. I want to show my wife.

Thanks!

https://www.wimp.com/laying-cinder-blocks-like-a-pro/

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
My friend moved into his new house today. I found this.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Dylanthulhu posted:

Is the cover nearby? If not, they are available separately, as are the screws. Oh, and fix all the bare wires and stuff first.

Let's make our ballot box really awkward to steal, yet could be smashed by a sledgehammer, stolen with bolt cutters or ruined with a garden hose!

If anyone else wants to save time and not ruin a table afterward, drill into the floor with a hammer drill, then use a lag shield and eye bolt.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 2, 2017

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Swapping the load and neutral wires on a few of those breakers is the most troubling...

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Dylanthulhu posted:

Breaker breaker?

So does it have two sets of bussbars that stop in the middle and this is the fix?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

kid sinister posted:

Let's make our ballot box really awkward to steal, yet could be smashed by a sledgehammer, stolen with bolt cutters or ruined with a garden hose!
Good luck smashing a plastic tub like that with a sledgehammer, and most buildings I've seen don't have interior garden hoses.

True about the bolt cutters, but mainly it's a political statement. The police can't just walk in and take the box, they have to cut it loose first.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 2, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Usually what happens is someone walks through and simply swaps the box with a stuffed one. Having to smash it or flood it or bring bolt cutters just makes it really obvious it was tampered.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

IH stoves are excellent. They heat up and cool down quickly, adjust temperature easily, are easy to clean and can be used as a flat work surface. Most new pots and pans are compatible, and a lot of vintage cookware is too.
My control panel has a child lock button and the whole thing turns off automatically after 30 minutes (with no mandatory rest period if I just turn it back on again) or 10 minutes if it's switched on without any burners on.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I seem to recall hearing that it's a bit too easy to accidentally break the stovetop surface, though. I've never used one myself, but how resilient are they against e.g. having something heavy (like a jar of sauce or something) drop on them from a short distance above?

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well
Re: that ugly subpanel; some wirenuts, romex connectors, a flathead, strippers, a little extra solid wire, and a panel cover will get that in shape in an hour or so. One would make it look less like a rat's nest when putting in the romex connectors.

HycoCam posted:

Swapping the load and neutral wires on a few of those breakers is the most troubling...

Those are 240V circuits. The white should be marked black by code, but it's common to see them not marked.

0toShifty posted:

Breaker breaker?

So does it have two sets of bussbars that stop in the middle and this is the fix?

Yes, but I can't figure out why. The #4's subfeeding the bottom half look factory bent; I don't think this is a modification to the panel. Why one would want to subfeed the bottom half (with the 120V breakers) within the panel is beyond me. Unless this is not a subpanel, in which case a main breaker would be required and this setup maybe somehow conformed to code at the time.

Edit: poo poo thought this was "don't burn your house down".

Blackbeer fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 2, 2017

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Blackbeer posted:

Re: that ugly subpanel; some wirenuts, romex connectors, a flathead, strippers, a little extra solid wire, and a panel cover will get that in shape in an hour or so. One would make it look less like a rat's nest when putting in the romex connectors.

Those are 240V circuits. The white should be marked black by code, but it's common to see them not marked.

Yes, but I can't figure out why. The #4's subfeeding the bottom half look factory bent; I don't think this is a modification to the panel. Why one would want to subfeed the bottom half (with the 120V breakers) within the panel is beyond me. Unless this is not a subpanel, in which case a main breaker would be required and this setup maybe somehow conformed to code at the time.

Edit: poo poo thought this was "don't burn your house down".

I had a 100A Wadsworth panel which was installed in 1974 (since replaced). It had this same (factory) layout - two sets of bus bars - top & bottom - linked by a 50A service disconnect in the lowest bay of the top bus, so that the bottom bus could be de-energized (there is also a 100A service disconnect ahead of the main feed, which is how I was able to swap that entire panel out with a Siemens a few yeras ago).

All I could imagine is that it allowed the lights to be kept on while working in the panel...which still seemed insanely dangerous. Plus, the upper bus wasn't just lights (it actually was a hot mess of mods like the one shown here).

(edit) Ah, here we go:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

HycoCam posted:

Oh drat maybe that bottom left 2pole breaker is messed up; can't make out if the black on that is terminating to the gnd/neutral bar.