Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

got any sevens posted:

Anime was a mistake.

Anime is all worth it for this one scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8BThd9qjE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That's probably gonna kill the fad, thank Christ

"hey everybody, sympathize with this person who is synonymous with wanting to torture animals!" is not going to fly with most people

Is it going to turn out that the Dalmatians ate her baby?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Timby posted:

Yeah, but now they're doing a Maleficent-style origin story for Cruella de Vil, starring Emma Stone.

Sounds godawful

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Timby posted:

Yeah, but now they're doing a Maleficent-style origin story for Cruella de Vil, starring Emma Stone.

this will only work if they don't attempt to humanize her at all, and instead just make her a stone-cold bitch (pun maybe kinda intended).

I just wanna see Emma Stone chew through scenery like I know she can. She's been in too many serious movies recently.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

bows1 posted:

Sounds godawful

Yeah uh "Actually, murdering one hundred and one adorable dogs to make a fur coat is good and I'm a good person because..."

It'd be awesome if they told it all from her perspective with her as the main character but still had her be cartoonishly bad like DC Murderverse says instead of a misunderstood good person. Disney's American Psycho.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The fact that he's Jackie Chan wasn't a hint?

Name ten things that aren't Jackie Chan.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Name ten things that aren't Jackie Chan.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Uhh, James Sie, Hiroya Ishimaru, Juan Antonio Arroyo, Stefan Gossler, Wendell Bezerra, Andrea Ward, Ido Mossero.

gently caress, those are all Jackie Chan!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DC Murderverse posted:

I just wanna see Emma Stone chew through scenery like I know she can. She's been in too many serious movies recently.

I agree, she's a far better actor than many of her contemporaries, on top of it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I agree, she's a far better actor than many of her contemporaries, on top of it.

She's also really loving funny. It's rare to see someone outweird Kristen Wiig in a sketch, but Stone does.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The MSJ posted:

Did not make it to the cinema in time for mother! so I watched The Foreigner instead. It was pretty good. The movie started quietly and then the story begins with extreme sudden-ness. No warning at all. Jackie Chan being a secret badass was not really hinted at either but the reveal happens almost as fast. He even does his trademark 'use object lying around as weapon' thing. I like that did they not shy away from showing Jackie Chan's age; his character gets hurt and beaten up a lot even when winning a fight, and he often wins by catching his foes off guard.

i'm going to watch mother! completely blind (other than the first teaser and a bunch of clickbait article titles about how divisive it is) with an unsuspecting friend today. whatever the quality of the movie i expect some good entertainment

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is they already made a live action 101 Dalmatians, and a sequel. So I suppose Cruella origin story is the only way to go.

I recall that Twisted musical about how most Disney villains could be played as misunderstood or unfairly villainised, but Cruella is just flat out hilariously, pettily evil.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The MSJ posted:

Did not make it to the cinema in time for mother! so I watched The Foreigner instead.

I was worried you meant the incoherent early-poo poo-era Seagal effort for a moment there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sEzWzL2_lY

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Anime is all worth it for this one scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8BThd9qjE

Does the guy explode while tumbling down the mountain?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inescapable Duck posted:

Thing is they already made a live action 101 Dalmatians, and a sequel. So I suppose Cruella origin story is the only way to go.

I recall that Twisted musical about how most Disney villains could be played as misunderstood or unfairly villainised, but Cruella is just flat out hilariously, pettily evil.

Disney already made a live action Jungle Book in 1994 and another one in 1998 (although the second one was direct-to-video) but that didn't stop them making the 2016 movie.

The Glenn Close live action 101 Dalmation films were released back in 1996 and 2000 so they're pretty much ancient history at this point, they could totally have another pass at remaking the original from Cruella's point of view if they wanted.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Hugh Laurie is pretty great in the last one. I'd be more interested to see who they got as the crooks this time than anything else.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Grendels Dad posted:

Does the guy explode while tumbling down the mountain?

No, but he dies by getting punted into an exploding starship while cursing the main character for ruining his life and killing at least two of his consecutive girlfriends

Really, Jerid Messa is a hilariously pathetic character, his whole arc is basically that he was on track to be a mildly talented mid level space Nazi of zero note, until he made a light joke at the expense of the main character and caused the narrative to refocus into making GBS threads on his life specifically

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 1, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

a kitten posted:

He's a happily married dude who made Voices with he and his wife as the cast so god knows what the gently caress you're talking about.

Don't disturb this tele-psychoanalysis of a guy he has never seen, met or spoken with with your boring facts.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

No, but he dies by getting punted into an exploding starship while cursing the main character for ruining his life and killing at least two of his consecutive girlfriends

Really, Jerid Messa is a hilariously pathetic character, his whole arc is basically that he was on track to be a mildly talented mid level space Nazi of zero note, until he made a light joke at the expense of the main character and caused the narrative to refocus into making GBS threads on his life specifically

TBF, Jerid put this all on himself. He could have just let it go, but he kept trying to avenge himself for Kamile punching him out and it led to this escalating vendetta that he couldn't keep up with. I mean, Jerid kills Kamile's mom and one of his girlfriends, so it's not like that poo poo is going to easily forgotten.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Please don't be rude to my boyfriend Jerid, he is a sweet young man who is going to accomplish great thin-

*dies suddenly and violently*

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Zeta Gundam was so long and repetitive at 50 episodes that the main character and his rival had four dead girlfriends between them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
To be fair

Kamille absolutely is a girl's name

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wasn't that the name of Gonzo's chicken girlfriend

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Calaveron posted:

Wasn't that the name of Gonzo's chicken girlfriend

No, that was Camilla.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mentioned in an article about Europacorp, Luc Besson has written the script to Lucy 2.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Calaveron posted:

To be fair

Kamille absolutely is a girl's name

Bonus Kamille nude, where he's clearly tucking

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The MSJ posted:

Mentioned in an article about Europacorp, Luc Besson has written the script to Lucy 2.

I'm wondering how in the world do you do a sequel for a movie where the protagonist becomes a god and is completely disconnected from the human experience by the end of it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's the Second Coming, and Lucy has judged mankind unworthy.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i'm going to watch mother! completely blind (other than the first teaser and a bunch of clickbait article titles about how divisive it is) with an unsuspecting friend today. whatever the quality of the movie i expect some good entertainment

ok we just watched this and lol, it's an entertaining movie at the very least

i thought it was gonna be a very expensive and mind-warping remake of Rosemary's Baby, and he assumed it will be a metaphoric movie about the pains of childbirth and a relationship falling apart. so we were incredibly surprised and ended with mixed feelings. the horror of people forcefully entering your house, breaking all your poo poo and stealing your things while you scream impotently is super relatable though! i physically flinched when they broke the sink and flooded her house

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lucy sequel we realize is in the same cinematic universe as Her, and Lucy meets Samantha.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

also i just remembered that that one guest who used a spoon to cut the beautiful cake j law baked is the loving worst

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm wondering how in the world do you do a sequel for a movie where the protagonist becomes a god and is completely disconnected from the human experience by the end of it.
Months after the LUCY INCIDENT, Dr. MORGAN FREEMAN is a member of SECTOR 7, a clandestine governmilitary operation that investigates illegal transhuman activity. While investigating a sudden mass naked Russian mail-order-brides disappearance, he and his partner get SPIRIT JACKED, and it is only the intervention of LUCY that saves him. Lucy later Spirit Jacks a russian bridebody to save "Cryin'" Freeman, who discovers the Russian brides were SPIRIT WIPED by TriMafia experimentation with the LUCYDRUG. Lucy returns to her place in the universal INFOFLOW.

its the plot to the second Ghost in the Shell movie lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Okay, then how do you make a good sequel to a movie where the protagonist becomes a god and is completely disconnected from the human experience by the end of it?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Luc Besson should get Denis Villeneuve to direct for him.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Skwirl posted:

Okay, then how do you make a good sequel to a movie where the protagonist becomes a god and is completely disconnected from the human experience by the end of it?

You make the previous godlike being loose its omnipotence by a macguffin,and the film is them trying to get it back while also relearning what being human is? I mean theres a bunch of scifi stories with this premise and also a couple of holy books. Basically just adapt the last book of the wizard of earthsea saga.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ChainsawCharlie posted:

You make the previous godlike being loose its omnipotence by a macguffin,and the film is them trying to get it back while also relearning what being human is? I mean theres a bunch of scifi stories with this premise and also a couple of holy books. Basically just adapt the last book of the wizard of earthsea saga.

I was gonna say make one of the later Dune books. Scarlett Johansson would be great as the face on a giant worm.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Make the former protagonist just be god and get a new protagonist.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Skwirl posted:

A Talking God?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Make the former protagonist just be god and get a new protagonist.

Okay, I'll admit The New Testament is a decent sequel to The Old Testament. Less begats and more story, and you sympathise with the main character, but it really runs off the rails at the end.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 2, 2017

• Locked thread