Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

To Derek, the game crashes when I switched resolutions to a higher resolution. I'm not sure how up to date my drivers are but they update like once a month usually. When I reloaded the game it had my new resolution set, so it did save it. That was the only thing I adjusted in the menu there. Hope that helps you figure out the big! :)

I am actually not aware of this. What I do know will cause a crash on some systems during a resolution change, is if you choose a high resolution, while setting some of the FSAA options. In fact, sometimes the game will completely refuse to start in that scenario, unless you delete the UCCONFIG.INI file so that a new one with default options is created. I actually wrote a KB article about that.

If this is something that you can reproduce with ease, please open a support ticket so that I can see about addressing it in a future patch. Assuming it's for 3.0 and not 2.0 (which I have no intentions of releasing patches for - ever).

FYI, you can also add /w to the game's shortcut properties to run it in a window and at any resolution.

It appears that you are running the 2.0 version. It's different from 3.0 version that the early access The Lyrius Conflict uses). Those links show the changelog and diffs between both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

XK posted:

Didn't you say, in this very thread, that you would stop calling people Nazis?

Croberts Derek says lots of things

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Goobs posted:

I got a buddy of mine who is a SC cultist to actually download and play Elite Dangerous and he said "there's too much flying around". I guess he's been so used to Star Citizen that he hasn't had the experience of flying around in space in a space game yet.
I found it, the best post in the thread.

The pure, uncut essence of Star Citizen, distilled into two sentences.:allears:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

"Admit my games aren't perfect? gently caress you!"

:allears:

Have some chill.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
lol

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Derek got probated over his response to a post telling to him to accept his human imperfection.

Could my post have been any more accommodating? For gently caress's sake.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

OK, I'll bite.

The answer to all your problems:

4. ALT+Q quits the game, and even gives you a pop-up prompt. But you know, had you even given the commands a cursory glance, you'd know that.

Lol. yea they are dumb because you can't use the standard key every one else on the planet uses to get to the menu.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I've been getting back into Warframe in a big way, and stumbled upon this while playing catch-up for my 2 year absence...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VuYCLelIO8

I honestly wish they would make an honest Star Citizen one.

My pitch for it:

It would be an overweight man, late 30's wearing bunny ears and bunnyface makeup. It would be him getting increasingly outraged at people saying the game is a scam, and occasionally entering his credit card details to buy the next ship he'll probably never get to see, and waiting for a patch to drop that's almost a year out of date. It would be called "365 days of waiting for an Alpha patch, but still buying every piece of new content"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Probably just stop calling people nazis or something, idk.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

Probably just stop calling people nazis or something, idk.

what else are we supposed to call people with differing opinions on escape keys?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
You know what would have been cool when held by nazis?

escape keys

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
You can see the progression of that joke there in real time, open joke development

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

D_Smart posted:

Yes - agreed. But after taking poo poo for so long, one tends not to even bother with rationality. And those fuckers have no desire to help "make the game they like or want to try, better". They just want to poo poo on it because, for the most part, it makes them feel better about their lives less ordinary. Me? I just keep making games that a group of people keep paying me to make. I'm not going to always get it right, but I never - ever - set out to do that. The fact that I started designing a game before I even knew how to program "Hello World", should've been a clue.

You keeping getting poo poo on because you are a dense donkey with a loud mouth and megalomaniac complex. Your games are poo poo and this is a fact, no matter how obnoxious you are or that there are 3 masochists, who like them. You need to update your drivers so that you can change the resolution of 15 year old game? And need a loving manual to quit the game? Everybody calling out your bullshit is a nazi? WTF are you smoking?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lowtax is probably happy his twitter got shut down now, no flurry of DMs from cat jail.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Just own what you make. It's not that hard. It's easier, even.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah. my countrymen are being injured by actual fascists today. So it's nice to be able to laugh at a guy who can't ESCape his menu using the universal default key.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

D_Smart posted:

It's hilarious that nobody got the "comment Nazi" reference (as in grammar Nazi) yet. Oh well.

Sorry I totally kept thinking of the actual Nazi you hung out with to yell about your July blog.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

escape keys

:aaa: holy poo poo

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
also, I wasn't playing divinity 2, non stop.
I passed out with the game on after having had too much hard cider at a local festival.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

escape keys

:thurman:

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
I was expecting it to be a misguided Big Lebowski reference myself.

Fuckin' nihilists, man.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Wiz posted:

Also: Nobody reads manuals, and tutorials that aren't smoothly integrated into gameplay or try to force the player to learn everything at once are largely worthless.

On one hand, I'm not going to defend Derek's keybinding. On the other hand, I've no sympathy for people who don't read the manual before complaining about the controls.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shadowlyger posted:

On one hand, I'm not going to defend Derek's keybinding. On the other hand, I've no sympathy for people who don't read the manual before complaining about the controls.

I don't disagree but this a Derek manual we're talking about

http://3000ad.com/downloads/ucce30/GAME_COMMANDS.PDF

:stare:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I always loved reading manuals, back when I would get a new NES or SNES game. If you never read manuals, you'd never learn that Birdo was originally a transvestite. Plus, they always had that great smell.

Memorizing keybindings is a separate thing, though. You can't just expect someone to look at an instruction page and remember that poo poo. You need to ease them into it organically, or at least make it super easy for them to find on the fly.

The buttons on a PS4/XB1 controller is the maximum you can expect anyone to remember from reading instructions. Multi-finger salutes on a keyboard, gently caress off.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
INCREASE / DECREASE GUN LEVEL ' | ;

No worries!

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shadowlyger posted:

Yeah, when you can't hit ESC to read the manual because duck you I'm Derek Smart.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

Like, seriously, one of the things that we have really learned at Paradox these last few years is just how many people are willing to learn how to play complex games if you just try to make them at least a little bit accessible. The whole division of games into 'casual' and 'hardcore' is largely nonsense - sure there are people who will only ever play the spergiest of WW2 sims and people who will only ever play candy crush, but there's a huge audience for deep, complex games that don't require the player to spend their first few hours locked in mortal combat with the user interface. Playing a game is supposed to be entertaining, or at least engrossing, not a test of endurance to prove your skill at overcoming bad UI design.

The best example of this is Aurora: A space 4x which can basically do anything you would ever want, but it is at the same time so obnoxiously obtuse playing it is like torturing yourself. I've already bounced off that game three times, every time capitulating before I ever found out how to even start a game.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Shadowlyger posted:

You can spend your time bitching about people who don't read manuals, or you can realize almost nobody reads manuals and deal with the reality of this by finding a different way to teach them the game.

Guess which one is less futile.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wiz posted:

You can spend your time bitching about people who don't read manuals, or you can realize almost nobody reads manuals and deal with the reality of this by finding a different way to teach them the game.

Guess which one is less futile.

I agree, just listen to Valve talk about what they shitcanned from HL2, it's insane. If someone didn't get what they were meant to do at any given time they ditched the whole idea

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

escape keys
:lol:

trucutru fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 1, 2017

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

peter gabriel posted:

I agree, just listen to Valve talk about
what they shitcanned from HL2, it's insane. If someone didn't get what they were meant to do at any given time they ditched the whole idea
Yeah, they did some crazy clever things with HL2 when it comes to directing the player experience, like placing enemies in particular spots so the player would be looking in that direction when a 'cutscene' (say, a dropship crashing) happened, rather than take control of the camera as most games would've done. Also creating a whole system of heatmaps for where players died/got stuck in their levels during testing, so they could identify problematic level design.

Valve in its heyday was a hell of a thing. It's a shame all they do nowadays is dick around and live off the Steam money.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
The irony of Derek complaining about people not reading his manuals while not knowing how to connect a microphone to his computer for a stream is incredible.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Thread took a really stupid turn, but now it's excellent again.
Now, if only CIG would announce something equally stupid, and we would have absolute perfection and SA might as well shut down.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

If your game manual isn't the size of a greeting card, you've probably done something wrong.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

D_Smart posted:

How about no? And gently caress you? Trying to tell me how to I choose to respond to something.

loving Nazis.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dear goonsir, you are a true champion among SA posters.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wiz posted:

Yeah, they did some crazy clever things with HL2 when it comes to directing the player experience, like placing enemies in particular spots so the player would be looking in that direction when a 'cutscene' (say, a dropship crashing) happened, rather than take control of the camera as most games would've done. Also creating a whole system of heatmaps for where players died/got stuck in their levels during testing, so they could identify problematic level design.

Valve in its heyday was a hell of a thing. It's a shame all they do nowadays is dick around and live off the Steam money.

It's a real masterclass in so many ways.
Revisiting it after I read about their design ethos was really cool, like that children's play set very early on in the game - the first time you play it's a cool little thing, after reading Valve's take on it it was a very cleverly placed item to help introduce physics to the player.
The turnstile in the train station was the same, it was specifically put there to force the player to push a thing, we forget now but this was the first time a lot of people had even seen physics in a game, so until that point pushing a thing to open it was a foreign thing to a lot of gamers.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Derek, I have no idea how we're friends on Facebook, but thank you for occasionally liking my posts, I guess.

Also I hope this game at some point comes out so it's not going to be the Duke Nukem Forever of the 2020s

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MilesK posted:

If your game manual isn't the size of a greeting card, you've probably done something wrong.

I just played breath of the wild and, unlike any other of the newer zeldas the tutorial is basically "this is the button to open the menu, and you can climb like spider-man" and then it just lets you do whatever. Probably go grab some apples.

This for the most complex Zelda ever. Granted, they let you know how to open the main menu.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

trucutru posted:

they let you know how to open the main menu.

The Switch has an escape key?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

trucutru posted:

I just played breath of the wild and, unlike any other of the newer zeldas the tutorial is basically "this is the button to open the menu, and you can climb like spider-man" and then it just lets you do whatever. Probably go grab some apples.

This for the most complex Zelda ever. Granted, they let you know how to open the main menu.

I could probably gush for a good ten minutes about how good BotW's climbing system is. It's genuinely a masterpiece of game design and every open world game should be copying the hell out of it.

The weapon breakage is really badly designed, though.