Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Orgeron "only" makes 3.5 mil a year, which is cheap by SEC standards, but somehow negotiated a 12 million dollar buyout when literally nobody else wanted him. Impressive, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Orgeron

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Which SEC coach gets fired first

Butch, Bert, Sumlin, Odom, Gus, or Orgeron

Butch but it's not looking great for any of them

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I'd eliminate Bert because of the absurd buyout, Gus because Auburn is probably going to win 9 games, and Orgeron because I think even LSU is going to be too proud to fire Orgeron mid-season in his first season.

If Sumlin can complete the sweep of Arkansas and South Carolina, and avoid humiliating blowouts against everyone other than Bama, I think he makes it to the end of the season and gets fired before the bowl.

I'd say Odom is most likely, but if he's still there after the last three games I don't know what's going to make them pull the trigger mid-season.

What's Butch's buyout again?

I'd say Butch, Odom, Sumlin, and Orgeron probably aren't on the sideline for their teams next year, but none of them are fired mid-season.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

What's Butch's buyout again?

Butch's buyout is around 9 million.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Butch's buyout is around 9 million.

Which would be more likely to get him fired immediately- losing to Bama by 50 or losing to Kentucky by 14?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

edit: wrong thread

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

I'd say Odom is most likely, but if he's still there after the last three games I don't know what's going to make them pull the trigger mid-season.

I think Odom gets the rest of the season like Kim Anderson did. If Mizzou is 1-7 or something with losses to UConn and Idaho they'll do the same thing and announce they're letting him go but allowing him finish out the season. 2-7 should get there too with a loss to either of those teams.

Well this is assuming Odom is as loyal as Kim Anderson was, he could just walk when they tell him 'you're going to be fired.'

e: I could also theoretically see a world where if he gets to 5 wins he gets to eke out one more year since this is only year #2, but the getting to 5 wins is the hardest thing to imagine there.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 1, 2017

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
gently caress the rest of these lovely SEC coaches for being terrible and clouding the goddamn coach hirin' waters

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Barry Odom's buyout is a large cheese pizza from Shakespeare's I think.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Gus should make it to the end of the season at least -- should be favored against everyone until Georgia and I don't even know if I'm scared of a stumble in any of those as bad as the SEC looks this year. Now is he actually safe winning nine but losing the exact three everyone cared about? That probably depends on the turmoil in the athletic department and the nature of the losses -- the Iron Bowl would have to be bad enough for a Sunday morning firing cause they couldn't let him coach probably a decent bowl with a shot at a tenth win if they really wanted him gone.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Gus should make it to the end of the season at least -- should be favored against everyone until Georgia and I don't even know if I'm scared of a stumble in any of those as bad as the SEC looks this year. Now is he actually safe winning nine but losing the exact three everyone cared about? That probably depends on the turmoil in the athletic department and the nature of the losses -- the Iron Bowl would have to be bad enough for a Sunday morning firing cause they couldn't let him coach probably a decent bowl with a shot at a tenth win if they really wanted him gone.

Even for Auburn it seems insane to fire Gus when everything is in place for him to win 9-10 games per year for the next 4 years or so with with basically everyone else in the conference except Georgia and Bama in flux.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Orgeron's contract is low enough that it would just be cheaper for them to hire like a co-head coach or something.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

It's insane that mac is in the top half of sec coaches somehow. This conference is a loving dumpster.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
O's buyout decreases fast enough and he's a good enough recruiter that you at least give him another year just to save the money.

You fire Joe Alleva yesterday though, he's been a constant embarrassment.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/914594414441328640

No surprise here

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So firing his OC bought him two weeks

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Raku posted:

O's buyout decreases fast enough and he's a good enough recruiter that you at least give him another year just to save the money.

You fire Joe Alleva yesterday though, he's been a constant embarrassment.

12 million this year, 8.5 next year, and 4.5 the next couple of years after that. So even next year is a lot considering they are spending 9 million to pay Les not to coach.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yes i still don't understand why Alleva has a job

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

KKKLIP ART posted:

12 million this year, 8.5 next year, and 4.5 the next couple of years after that. So even next year is a lot considering they are spending 9 million to pay Les not to coach.

Yeah I would imagine the responsible thing to do would be to just consider this year a mulligan and then fire him when it drops down to 4.5 if next year is as bad. Besides, you've got new offensive schemes being installed, etc.--all the old excuses. While it's stupid that his buyout is that huge you should really finish paying the last guy off first anyway--by the time Les's buyout is gone firing Coach O will be nothing.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I was reading some article and it said that Alleva went after Herman, who said he was also talking to Texas, then Alleva took the exact same contract and just reduced the salary, not thinking nobody wanted coach O as a head coach and that the could have probably gotten him for close to no buy out.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Sounds plausible. Orgeron must have been dying for that job.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
As much as it would hurt to lose to both Georgia and Alabama for a third straight year, I would't like to see Gus fired if they get to 9 wins. There are just too many other schools that will probably be looking for a coach.

If Auburn does decide to get rid of Gus I want Mike Leach and no one else.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Duckaerobics posted:

If Auburn does decide to get rid of Gus I want Mike Leach and no one else.

Me too, instead I got Will Muschamp. Leach would have been the perfect follow up to Spurrier.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
What's Clemson going to do when Sabam gets bored with going buckwild through a lovely SEC, retires, and then ya boy Dabo comes home?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Azrial posted:

Me too, instead I got Will Muschamp. Leach would have been the perfect follow up to Spurrier.

Leach is too brilliant and weird for such a pedestrian city and seems at odds with the Carolina broheim bullshit.

Like Spurrier was a snarky, golfing, Coors swilling smartass with a southern twang and that doesn't seem too crazy.

Leach just wants to rollerblade around shirtless listening to the Talking Heads. Totally incongruous.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Azrial posted:

I'd rather see Leach go to a top 12ish recruiting team if he does leave, would suck for him to move to yet another team with a talent gap against it's rivals.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Leach has bad recruiting issues that go beyond the schools he at

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Will Les Miles get a job this year? Especially after how bad LSU has cratered without him, some teams might looks twice at him. Also there will probably be a poo poo-ton of openings this year.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

an adult beverage posted:

Will Les Miles get a job this year? Especially after how bad LSU has cratered without him, some teams might looks twice at him. Also there will probably be a poo poo-ton of openings this year.

Someone like Mizzou should kick the tires on ol' Les, if only to try and right the ship for the next three years or so. Odom was supposed to do that but he's clearly in over his head.

Also Mullen's agent should be calling UT's AD every day.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I feel like he did such a bad job at recruiting at UTEP that even a division 2 team would be hesitant to take him on.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Someone like Mizzou should kick the tires on ol' Les, if only to try and right the ship for the next three years or so. Odom was supposed to do that but he's clearly in over his head.

I think I'd rather go for a mid major head coach, except actually a head coach who's shown something instead of Memphis's DC since he was a True Son and because of that somehow trustworthy.

Alternately that Colorado School of Mines guy who's at Montana or wherever now.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Wrong thread.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 2, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

probably is, but his client's a drat horrible interview. there's no way he hasn't spoken to several schools in the last few years

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I hate I am to the point that I feel conflicted about the South Carolina game in two weeks. If Tennessee loses it will be one more nail in Butch Jones' coffin. If he wins there is a chance he could end up keeping his job. Look at the remaining schedule.

South Carolina
@ Alabama
@ Kentucky
Southern Miss
@ Missouri
LSU
Vanderbilt

They are currently 3-2, and all of those teams (but Bama) are beatable. So there is a chance Jones could end up 9-3 or 8-4 at worse without a quality win. That said my gut tells me we end up 7-5 in some crappy bowl game where Jones blows out another Big-10 team, and keep his job even longer.

This is bullshit. Tennessee needs to fire Jones before it is too late. 5 years, 5 loving years, and the only thing that has changed is the talent level is higher. It is just the coaching still sucks.

So it seems the only hope I have is a Tennessee loss South Carolina, Bama, and Kentucky in row to make them 3-5. If doesn't happen I believe Jones will survive this season. Why do I feel so dirty with these thoughts.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I think I'd rather go for a mid major head coach, except actually a head coach who's shown something instead of Memphis's DC since he was a True Son and because of that somehow trustworthy.

Alternately that Colorado School of Mines guy who's at Montana or wherever now.

Stitt hasn't been very good at Montana

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Has Butch been fired yet

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

Tressel was still under a showcause until like this year so I don't really see how that's comparable.

The Riley hire caught people off guard and made fans mad because he was old, had a solid like decade of being an 6 to 8 win coach at best, and was from the other side of the country with no connection to Nebraska. Frost is a young up and comer with a short but encouraging track record as a head coach, a great history as an assistant, and also happens to be a beloved former player. I don't think it'll cause anything close to the same sort of outrage the Riley search did it that's where things end up.

Nebraska fans get angry whenever an "outsider" is hired, they think like rural people think. They will only be happy if Scott Frost or Turner Gill or Trev Albert or some other familiar face is hired. If Riley is fired after/during this season, though, NU will once again face another 3-4 years as it "rebuilds" and tries to use players recruited by a previous coach. It would be completely disastrous for the program, and completely in-line with what NU fans deserve.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The Riley hire was really bizarre, and I don't fault Nebraska for considering a change. It'd be like Georgia hiring Todd Graham. Why did they do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Because the now-former AD wanted someone he'd never have to worry would be recorded saying "Our crowd. What a bunch of loving fair-weather loving—they can all kiss my rear end out the loving door. 'Cause the day is loving coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm loving gone. I'm so loving pissed off."

Vitalis Jackson posted:

they think like rural people think.

OK, sure.

• Locked thread