Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Plutonis posted:

RIP Monty Haul, the guy who invented being a generous GM
*pours out a neverending flask*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
TCGs are still doing fine, and if anything have made something of a comeback in the past 5 years. That's from a money perspective though, from a player's perspective it's honestly one of the worst times to play because there's still a ton of them but fewer people are playing them (assuming non-MtG) so your game of choice probably has no local scene of note, and the company making it will probably abandon it a few sets in and make another new game from scratch with a new license. This isn't to say those games are bad, many are often quite good and not particularly derivative, but TCGs live and die by local scenes and a game's quality has never been a signal for long life.

Munchkin TCG will be a financial success but almost certainly have no local scenes after 3-4 months aside from isolated areas and the only people buying it at that point will be collectors.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Plutonis posted:

RIP Monty Haul, the guy who invented being a generous GM
I will sacrifice one third of a goat in his memory. Or was it two thirds? :thunk:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

FactsAreUseless posted:

*pours out a neverending flask*

:golfclap:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Vinchenz posted:

I'm also looking to trying out hex-crawling in this, which is something I haven't done before.

I never heard of hex crawling before, but looking it up on google (ie literally the first link that shows up after searching hex crawl), it sounds like a really good way to implement some ideas I've had in mind for a while. Any recommendations where to read more about it?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The One Ring is generally a pretty good low-ish fantasy game that has a game phase all about hex-crawling. It might not be quite what you're after, or it might be a little too Middle-earth focused for you, but it wouldn't hurt to check out.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 1, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I made a completely deserted thread for The One Ring.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

I made a completely deserted thread for The One Ring.

Can something be deserted if no one was there to begin with?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zoro posted:

Can something be deserted if no one was there to begin with?

You'd have to ask someone who took the Scholar calling.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Tendales posted:

SJG has started advertising a Munchkin CCG.

God help us all.

Did WOTC's patent expire or something?

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I never heard of hex crawling before, but looking it up on google (ie literally the first link that shows up after searching hex crawl), it sounds like a really good way to implement some ideas I've had in mind for a while. Any recommendations where to read more about it?

It's a pretty common old-school/OSR mode of play, so you should be able to find a lot of material on how to do it, and a lot of it will probably be garbage.

I'm 40, and the way I played D&D with my friends as a kid was pretty strongly in the hex-crawl vein, by which I mean there was a map, the PCs had limited knowledge about the contents of the map, and part of the game was about moving around the map to discover what was on it, while rolling on random tables for weather and encounters. What we were doing usually was roaming around a map to find a goal location, so in practice it was kind of like doing an open-air dungeon crawl. There are a few AD&D modules that are pretty hexcrawl-y, but I can't remember the titles of them. The AD&D Wilderness Survival Guide was the main book we consulted when we were committed to doing a hexcrawl campaign/adventure.

The parts of Mutant: Year Zero that are hexcrawl-based are similar enough to what I remember doing, except that it does a better job of keeping the whole thing interesting by tying it into the civ-development minigame. Depending on how far you're prepared to stretch your definition of hex crawl, Ryuutama might qualify, although it breaks the PCs journey into legs between settlements, rather than going hex-by-hex. It has a fairly streamlined system for dealing with weather and environment, anyway.

There are some things you're definitely going to want to avoid, as well. The idea of hex crawling seems to attract people who think that the entire fun of roleplaying is due to randomness creating surprise. This has led to such utter failures as Carcosa, which is a hex crawling game about pedophile murder wizards where monster hit die types are randomly determined.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

occamsnailfile posted:

Did WOTC's patent expire or something?

Nah, you're allowed to call something a CCG, just not a TCG. Mostly WotC will only raise a fuss if you use Magic-specific terminology. Ultimately their patent probably doesn't hold much water (speaking as a layperson) unless you're making a literal and direct Magic clone using the same mechanics and terms. This is why they went after Hex: Shards of Fate, as it was a really blatant Magic successor.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I am planning a DCC hex crawl for this fall/winter where players will crawl a small region with sandbox encounters between adventure sights featuring published DCC adventures. I used a lot of the guidance here: http://www.martinralya.com/tabletop-rpgs/my-dcc-rpg-hexcrawl-binder/

And I'll be using things like the D30 sandbox companion. Mostly my players want to play DCC adventures but feel like the world between them exists and they can influence it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

some loving LIAR posted:

It's a pretty common old-school/OSR mode of play, so you should be able to find a lot of material on how to do it, and a lot of it will probably be garbage.

I'm 40, and the way I played D&D with my friends as a kid was pretty strongly in the hex-crawl vein, by which I mean there was a map, the PCs had limited knowledge about the contents of the map, and part of the game was about moving around the map to discover what was on it, while rolling on random tables for weather and encounters. What we were doing usually was roaming around a map to find a goal location, so in practice it was kind of like doing an open-air dungeon crawl. There are a few AD&D modules that are pretty hexcrawl-y, but I can't remember the titles of them. The AD&D Wilderness Survival Guide was the main book we consulted when we were committed to doing a hexcrawl campaign/adventure.

The parts of Mutant: Year Zero that are hexcrawl-based are similar enough to what I remember doing, except that it does a better job of keeping the whole thing interesting by tying it into the civ-development minigame. Depending on how far you're prepared to stretch your definition of hex crawl, Ryuutama might qualify, although it breaks the PCs journey into legs between settlements, rather than going hex-by-hex. It has a fairly streamlined system for dealing with weather and environment, anyway.

There are some things you're definitely going to want to avoid, as well. The idea of hex crawling seems to attract people who think that the entire fun of roleplaying is due to randomness creating surprise. This has led to such utter failures as Carcosa, which is a hex crawling game about pedophile murder wizards where monster hit die types are randomly determined.

I'm really curious if there is a -good- way to do a hex-crawl. I'm working on a Fallout game for this winter, and want to use that sort of exploration mechanic, but haven't found anything really catchy to make it work.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Today I went to one of the tabletop groups in my city and played the retroclone "Old Dragon" and I remembered why I dislike OSR games.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Plutonis posted:

Today I went to one of the tabletop groups in my city and played the retroclone "Old Dragon" and I remembered why I dislike OSR games.

Instead of playing retroclones instead play cool games that just decide they like HP AC and the six stats, like Godbound and Beyond the Wall.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nah, you're allowed to call something a CCG, just not a TCG.

Is there really an appreciable difference between a CCG and a TCG? Like, do they bust down your door if they catch you trading CCG cards?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Instead of playing retroclones instead play cool games that just decide they like HP AC and the six stats, like Godbound and Beyond the Wall.

The other open tables: CoC, Vampire the Requiem, brazilian zombie apocalypse PBTA, D&D 5E

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Waffleman_ posted:

Is there really an appreciable difference between a CCG and a TCG? Like, do they bust down your door if they catch you trading CCG cards?

No, just that Wizards is more likely to go after you for calling it a TCG, since they patented it under that name.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Plutonis posted:

brazilian zombie apocalypse PBTA

In what world is this not the go-to?

Having the Apocalypse be 'zombie apocalypse' was actually how I played Apocalypse World the first time, it was pretty cool and we decided the 'psychic maelstrom' = 'temporarily immersing in the zombie hivemind'.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Plutonis posted:

You can't just blanket dislike all OSR games because one is bad, also I've never heard of Old Dragon before, so I'm guessing it's a local one

bewilderment posted:

Those are Retroclones though, just ones that change stuff around more than most

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alien Rope Burn posted:

No, just that Wizards is more likely to go after you for calling it a TCG, since they patented it under that name.

That does not match my understanding of patent law, hmm.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
they also had "Trading Card Game" trademarked for a long time

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

You can't just blanket dislike all OSR games because one is bad

What if a lot of them are bad?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

drrockso20 posted:

Those are Retroclones though, just ones that change stuff around more than most

Retroclones try to actually be a clone of a game, sometimes with some minor changes for flow or mood. Dark(er) Dungeons is a retroclone of BECMI DnD.

Godbound is an original game with god powers and no classes and stuff, it just happens to be compatible with old DnD stat-wise and has things like HD and AC and STR/WIS/DEX/etc because that's what the author likes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

bewilderment posted:

In what world is this not the go-to?

Having the Apocalypse be 'zombie apocalypse' was actually how I played Apocalypse World the first time, it was pretty cool and we decided the 'psychic maelstrom' = 'temporarily immersing in the zombie hivemind'.

I'm still soured as hell from zombie/post apoc thematic :/

drrockso20 posted:

You can't just blanket dislike all OSR games because one is bad, also I've never heard of Old Dragon before, so I'm guessing it's a local one

It's a local one. 5 min chargen, played as a fighter warrior man, got crippled after whiffing three attacks in a row and getting hit all the time due to the GM insistence on making me do encounters without my full armor and since it was a 'low fantasy' setting I couldn't heal my HP so I just excused myself and left after a while.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

some loving LIAR posted:

The parts of Mutant: Year Zero that are hexcrawl-based are similar enough to what I remember doing, except that it does a better job of keeping the whole thing interesting by tying it into the civ-development minigame.

See, that sounds like exactly my jam. The ideas I think hexcrawling would improve are ones where the PCs basically settle along with their fellow refugees, and adventure for resources to get back on a stable footing, and if successful, eventually developing into a regional power.

Although I've also been thinking "Star Control II, but in Spelljammer" and hexcrawling might apply there too, since that's basically what Star Control was all about. Except the map was, you know, space.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kai Tave posted:

What if a lot of them are bad?

Overall I'd say there's more good OSR games than bad

bewilderment posted:

Retroclones try to actually be a clone of a game, sometimes with some minor changes for flow or mood. Dark(er) Dungeons is a retroclone of BECMI DnD.

Godbound is an original game with god powers and no classes and stuff, it just happens to be compatible with old DnD stat-wise and has things like HD and AC and STR/WIS/DEX/etc because that's what the author likes.

Well it's still an OSR game

Plutonis posted:

I'm still soured as hell from zombie/post apoc thematic :/

It's a local one. 5 min chargen, played as a fighter warrior man, got crippled after whiffing three attacks in a row and getting hit all the time due to the GM insistence on making me do encounters without my full armor and since it was a 'low fantasy' setting I couldn't heal my HP so I just excused myself and left after a while.

A lot of that seems to be your GM being a moron/douche than anything

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One of my players diligently takes notes about everything that seems like it might be relevant information, and I think that's just swell. :allears:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
What systems are good for playing mech pilots?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Battletech

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

mods?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SunAndSpring posted:

I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

You're probably aware that Abbadon/Operant has recently released a first draft of a mech game called Lancer. It's loosely based on Shadow of the Demon Lord. It's got a lot of interesting promise, but it's also a very rough draft at the moment still.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Battle Century G has a fair amount of stuff going on with being pilots, but the one game I played with it I didn't really interact with those systems much. Someone who's touched that stuff more can probably give a better appraisal. One thing to note is that it's a separate sheet from mechas in that game, with XP going into two point-buy pools, so you have the freedom to tool both your pilot and mecha how you like without impacting the other half.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kai Tave posted:

I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

You're probably aware that Abbadon/Operant has recently released a first draft of a mech game called Lancer. It's loosely based on Shadow of the Demon Lord. It's got a lot of interesting promise, but it's also a very rough draft at the moment still.

Speaking of which it looks like there was a fairly significant update to the game in-progress, including an example of character/mech creation and leveling.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm a fan of Remnants, which is on the light side. Battle Century G is also very good. Haven't had a chance to look over Lancer yet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Deleter posted:

One thing to note is that it's a separate sheet from mechas in that game, with XP going into two point-buy pools, so you have the freedom to tool both your pilot and mecha how you like without impacting the other half.
It's a sad indictment of the hobby that this needs to be specified rather than assumed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm sure Mekton Zero will be good when it comes out in 2077.

But, yeah, Battle Century G is your best bet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

It's a sad indictment of the hobby that this needs to be specified rather than assumed.

Obviously the best solution is Bliss Stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Splicer posted:

Yeah, it's kind of frustrating that this doesn't exist, or that all other systems try and derive mech piloting ability from the pilot, instead of assuming competence and letting both just get created freely.

One quirk of Battle Century G is that there's a pilot-level combat system, which, depending on the genre you're going for, won't necessarily be useful to you. It's probably better for emulating something like Gundam, which it's clearly inspired by, than Evangelion.

• Locked thread