Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Fuzz posted:

How long is the step up window? I got a 1070 in March...

90 days

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My friend wanted to build a gaming PC but his budget is only $500 excluding monitor and I believe m/kb. He wants to play overwatch and I imagine CRPGs.

Is this doable? Where should I start? I feel like finding a used setup would be best. We have another friend with an old GPU he could probably borrow, hoping that he can eventually get his own soon which would leave the 500 for everything else.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

KingKapalone posted:

My friend wanted to build a gaming PC but his budget is only $500 excluding monitor and I believe m/kb. He wants to play overwatch and I imagine CRPGs.

Is this doable? Where should I start? I feel like finding a used setup would be best. We have another friend with an old GPU he could probably borrow, hoping that he can eventually get his own soon which would leave the 500 for everything else.

Are you near a Microcenter?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/474288/G151_Desktop_Computer

Downsides: No SSD, 8GB RAM.

Alternate option: https://www.techbargains.com/deal/443007/dell-inspiron-amd-gaming-desktop

Downsides (again): No SSD, 8GB RAM.
Upside: 4GB AMD 570s are going for ~$200 on eBay, so if you could snag a decent 'used' GPU from a friend, it'll hit his price point.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 2, 2017

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

KingKapalone posted:

From just parts this is what I scrounged up:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mPZ6JV doesn't have windows and I know nothing about the power supply that the thermal take comes with. If you have a microcenter nearby any CPU/Mobo combo purchased together gets $30 off so that makes it a bit easier to squeeze a windows 7 key and then Win 10 upgrade in. The nice thing about the current AM4 platform is that say your buddy builds this and then gets a bit more money (after a GPU of course) and wants to upgrade. The 1600 or even 1700 will drop straight into this socket. Additionally, say 9 to 12 months down the line he's looking to squeeze an upgrade, but can't both GPU and a new chip. There are APUs coming that *should* drop straight into the AM4 socket as well. Now, take that particular upgrade path with huge grains of salt because performance wise no one really knows what it's going to do....will it be a very solid performer like Ryzen or kind of a poo poo show like Vega :shrug:?

And for GPUs, if you aren't going for the moon, the 1200 OC'ed and paired with anything short of a 980ti, 1070, or 1080 you really won't be bottle necked.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 2, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So am I dumb for bothering to wait on Coffee Lake? Was gonna finally build a new rig this year and upgrade from my i5-2500K, was gonna go i7 this time around. Already have an 8 gig 1070 and a great monitor, was budgeting myself at 1500 for all the rest. Wanted to watercool this time around, as well... would it be worth it with a superclocked EVGA 1070 or should I seriously consider selling this card while it's relatively new and I can get a decent amount and reassess my budget to include a 1080 or Ti or something?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fuzz posted:

So am I dumb for bothering to wait on Coffee Lake? Was gonna finally build a new rig this year and upgrade from my i5-2500K, was gonna go i7 this time around. Already have an 8 gig 1070 and a great monitor, was budgeting myself at 1500 for all the rest. Wanted to watercool this time around, as well... would it be worth it with a superclocked EVGA 1070 or should I seriously consider selling this card while it's relatively new and I can get a decent amount and reassess my budget to include a 1080 or Ti or something?

You’ll be fine for Coffee Lake. Might be worth reselling/stepping up to a 1070ti at the end of the month if you’re waiting. If you don’t care that much, don’t even bother with that. 1070 is still great.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Arivia posted:

You’ll be fine for Coffee Lake. Might be worth reselling/stepping up to a 1070ti at the end of the month if you’re waiting. If you don’t care that much, don’t even bother with that. 1070 is still great.

Right, but is it worth water cooling? Chilling the CPU but not the GPU seems pointless since the GPU is the noisy one.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Are you near a Microcenter?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/474288/G151_Desktop_Computer

Downsides: No SSD, 8GB RAM.

Alternate option: https://www.techbargains.com/deal/443007/dell-inspiron-amd-gaming-desktop

Downsides (again): No SSD, 8GB RAM.
Upside: 4GB AMD 570s are going for ~$200 on eBay, so if you could snag a decent 'used' GPU from a friend, it'll hit his price point.

Yes I'm right by a MicroCenter. Do you think prebuilt is the way to go? Even this is still $650.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

From just parts this is what I scrounged up:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mPZ6JV doesn't have windows and I know nothing about the power supply that the thermal take comes with. If you have a microcenter nearby any CPU/Mobo combo purchased together gets $30 off so that makes it a bit easier to squeeze a windows 7 key and then Win 10 upgrade in. The nice thing about the current AM4 platform is that say your buddy builds this and then gets a bit more money (after a GPU of course) and wants to upgrade. The 1600 or even 1700 will drop straight into this socket. Additionally, say 9 to 12 months down the line he's looking to squeeze an upgrade, but can't both GPU and a new chip. There are APUs coming that *should* drop straight into the AM4 socket as well. Now, take that particular upgrade path with huge grains of salt because performance wise no one really knows what it's going to do....will it be a very solid performer like Ryzen or kind of a poo poo show like Vega :shrug:?

And for GPUs, if you aren't going for the moon, the 1200 OC'ed and paired with anything short of a 980ti, 1070, or 1080 you really won't be bottle necked.

When you say "anything short of" do you mean he should get one of those cards? Because those seem very impossible for the future based on his current budget.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Right, but is it worth water cooling? Chilling the CPU but not the GPU seems pointless since the GPU is the noisy one.

I’d ask the water cooling thread. It’s my understanding watercooling isn’t any quieter anyway.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I recently got the money to allow for an upgrade to a 1080. I'm currently using a 970, I play a decent amount of games including VR stuff, and I have a 1440p monitor. So my question is which 1080 card is generally the goto at this point? Like my bit of research says an ASUS Strix would be the best card but I've had a bad time with their support in the past. Also is there any reason to spring for a 1080ti if I don't plan to upgrade my monitor to 4k or go crazy with supersampling?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

KingKapalone posted:

When you say "anything short of" do you mean he should get one of those cards? Because those seem very impossible for the future based on his current budget.

No I mean anything short of those cards (or better) performance wise will not be bottle necked by a 1200 OC'ed to say 3.8 or 3.9 ghz across all cores. What I was trying to say was that *if* for some reason your friend was in the position to pickup a 6gb 1060 or even a firesale 480 or 580 (any day now) that the 1200 cpu will not hold either of those cards back. With that said how the Ryzen 3 series and base 5 series hold up against the coming Intel i3s and 5s will be interesting to see as well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Brightman posted:

I recently got the money to allow for an upgrade to a 1080. I'm currently using a 970, I play a decent amount of games including VR stuff, and I have a 1440p monitor. So my question is which 1080 card is generally the goto at this point? Like my bit of research says an ASUS Strix would be the best card but I've had a bad time with their support in the past. Also is there any reason to spring for a 1080ti if I don't plan to upgrade my monitor to 4k or go crazy with supersampling?

Assuming you’re in North America, an EVGA literally whatever 1080. Best support, all 1080s with the exception of the MSI Armor perform well.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Arivia posted:

Assuming you’re in North America, an EVGA literally whatever 1080. Best support, all 1080s with the exception of the MSI Armor perform well.

Okay, thank you. I was thinking that would be the answer, but the reviews I had seen had been sorta worrying, however further inspection shows that most of those are due to price gouging and people being idiots about supply and demand so...yeah.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I think it's time I replaced my computer, as it's served me well for the past... six? years or so. In fact I would probably still be using it except my video card died an unholy death and so did my monitor, and neither one is really fixable without shelling out several hundred dollars.

With that in mind I'm looking for a setup that will last me another 5-6 years. Reading up it appears to me that getting something G-syncy would help with longevity. I'm not opposed to free-sync but I think I've internalized advertising and only am really considering nvidia cards. After that I'm not sure if I should be looking at 1080p monitors or 1440, although I would like IPS for no real reason. The one I see folks mention the most is the Acer XB271HU https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-2560x1440-Display/dp/B0173PEX20/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 I would have already clicked purchase except I see tons of complaints about backlight issues and quality control and I'm incredibly gun-shy about those types of things. Is there a monitor out there that isn't necessarily as risky?

In the interest of longevity, should I be going balls to the wall with a video card, or just getting something decently good now and waiting for x years and upgrading. I have paid zero attention to advances in cards and I don't know if the next big thing is right around the corner like it is with the intel cpu things, apparently (I'll wait a week before building the comp to pick up the coffee lake, I guess?).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Brightman posted:

Okay, thank you. I was thinking that would be the answer, but the reviews I had seen had been sorta worrying, however further inspection shows that most of those are due to price gouging and people being idiots about supply and demand so...yeah.

EVGA had an issue with their 10-series coolers at launch that is long resolved and wasn't even really much of an issue in the first place. That was also the source of some bad reviews.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Kaedric posted:

With that in mind I'm looking for a setup that will last me another 5-6 years. Reading up it appears to me that getting something G-syncy would help with longevity. I'm not opposed to free-sync but I think I've internalized advertising and only am really considering nvidia cards. After that I'm not sure if I should be looking at 1080p monitors or 1440, although I would like IPS for no real reason.

For reference I got two 34" LG ultrawides in 2560x1080 from newegg when they went on sale and at $300 each it was a splurge but they are amazing and I wouldn't ever pay more, so you'd have to get something small in 1440.

e; I got the 34UC64-P but its not meaningfully different than this

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025555

and those are already down to $300

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 2, 2017

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Is ultrawide a thing I should be looking at these days? I don't know anything about it. I feel like it would make games looks weird. How are you using two of the things?!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Brightman posted:

If your monitor goes above 60hz, you can benefit from a 1080Ti. If not, stick with the 1080.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Kaedric posted:

Is ultrawide a thing I should be looking at these days? I don't know anything about it. I feel like it would make games looks weird. How are you using two of the things?!

Nah, if you run a game at 1080 by 1920 it just black bars the left and right side, and most games support 21:9 naively anyway so if your graphics card supports it why not play in 2560x1080? It looks amazing and I have essentially 4 screens worth of real estate to expand into when I'm working.

whether or not you want that over just regular 16:9 is personal choice. But I think the horizontal size is a better benefit for your money than 4k or 75hz or whatever.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
So I am planning on building a new box with the release of the new intel cpus if they prove to be decent. I have an old dell ultrasharp IPS screen and would like to upgrade that at some point. Should I:

1) Build a box with a 1060 and use it with my old screen then wait until later and upgrade the screen (like a 2k res monitor with gsync etc) and whatever nvidia comes out with next year?

2) Build a box with a 1070/1080 with a new 2k res screen?

I'm not burning to build a box right now and can probably wait a few more months... but I just wanna play the games of the last few months at greater with smooth frames at high or max settings.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

GoldenNugget posted:

So I am planning on building a new box with the release of the new intel cpus if they prove to be decent. I have an old dell ultrasharp IPS screen and would like to upgrade that at some point. Should I:

1) Build a box with a 1060 and use it with my old screen then wait until later and upgrade the screen (like a 2k res monitor with gsync etc) and whatever nvidia comes out with next year?

I'm not burning to build a box right now and can probably wait a few more months... but I just wanna play the games of the last few months at greater with smooth frames at high or max settings.

It's personal preference imo. A 1080 (or even better, 1080ti) should be good enough for 1440p high fps with gsync for years. But next year there will certainly be better hardware for cheaper, both because we can expect the price of monitors to continue falling slowly and steadily and also the release of new Nvidia cards. But for waiting you also have to figure the price of the 1060 and the time spent without sick nasty hardware. Crypto mining is also a big question mark. Maybe there'll be a huge boom next year and prices will go stupid again, so upgrading now gives you that bit of certainty as well.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

GoldenNugget posted:

You'll have a nice window at the end of the month to potentially get your hands on a 1070Ti for ~$429. You'll be competing with miners to get ahold of one, but initial indications suggest ~90-95% the performance of a 1080, and it'll actually be a more popular mining card because it uses 9Gbps GDDR5, not GDDR5X.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I've got a nice dumb guy question:

I had trouble getting Windows to see both RAM sticks on my recently built computer, and I want to blame that on physically having it in the slot wrong somehow. I'd clean everything out with the can of air and stuff the memory in and scan over the guide to see if there was some newfangled clip I was forgetting to close. It recognized both after several reseatings but now I'm getting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bluescreens every couple of weeks and I know that one is a memory error. Now the system info is saying it recognizes 32 GB but only 15.9 is usable. Did I really just put the drat things in wrong or could these have been broken to start with?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

A Bag of Milk posted:

It's personal preference imo. A 1080 (or even better, 1080ti) should be good enough for 1440p high fps with gsync for years. But next year there will certainly be better hardware for cheaper, both because we can expect the price of monitors to continue falling slowly and steadily and also the release of new Nvidia cards. But for waiting you also have to figure the price of the 1060 and the time spent without sick nasty hardware. Crypto mining is also a big question mark. Maybe there'll be a huge boom next year and prices will go stupid again, so upgrading now gives you that bit of certainty as well.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You'll have a nice window at the end of the month to potentially get your hands on a 1070Ti for ~$429. You'll be competing with miners to get ahold of one, but initial indications suggest ~90-95% the performance of a 1080, and it'll actually be a more popular mining card because it uses 9Gbps GDDR5, not GDDR5X.

Thanks. I might attempt to grab a 1070ti with building a new box.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

I'm helping my brother build a gaming PC (his first!). Originally, we were going to wait for the 1070 TI to come out, but it looks like there's a 1080 for $460

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-1080-AERO-8G/dp/B01GXOX35A

Any reason to not jump on this and wait for the 1070ti?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Resonance22 posted:

I'm helping my brother build a gaming PC (his first!). Originally, we were going to wait for the 1070 TI to come out, but it looks like there's a 1080 for $460

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-1080-AERO-8G/dp/B01GXOX35A

Any reason to not jump on this and wait for the 1070ti?

$460 for a *blower* 1080 isn't that great seeing as you'd be more than justified in taking it off and replacing it with a CLC or aftermarket air cooler (which just adds to whatever you're 'saving' on the sale). The 1070Ti, though *very* slightly slower than the 1080 (just on specs alone it'll be 90-95% as fast as a 1080 - and they'll share a 180W TDP), will likely be easily overclockable to and well past stock 1080 speeds, and will likely have pretty good resale value for quite some time afterwards as the card seems practically designed first and foremost as a BTC/ETH mining card with higher-speed GDDR5 and higher FP performance than the original 1070.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Wulfolme posted:

I've got a nice dumb guy question:

I had trouble getting Windows to see both RAM sticks on my recently built computer, and I want to blame that on physically having it in the slot wrong somehow. I'd clean everything out with the can of air and stuff the memory in and scan over the guide to see if there was some newfangled clip I was forgetting to close. It recognized both after several reseatings but now I'm getting DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bluescreens every couple of weeks and I know that one is a memory error. Now the system info is saying it recognizes 32 GB but only 15.9 is usable. Did I really just put the drat things in wrong or could these have been broken to start with?

Did you also try swapping the sticks? What about just running each individually? With these two things, you should be able to determine if you are having motherboard issues or it's the stick themselves.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

$460 for a *blower* 1080 isn't that great seeing as you'd be more than justified in taking it off and replacing it with a CLC or aftermarket air cooler (which just adds to whatever you're 'saving' on the sale). The 1070Ti, though *very* slightly slower than the 1080 (just on specs alone it'll be 90-95% as fast as a 1080 - and they'll share a 180W TDP), will likely be easily overclockable to and well past stock 1080 speeds, and will likely have pretty good resale value for quite some time afterwards as the card seems practically designed first and foremost as a BTC/ETH mining card with higher-speed GDDR5 and higher FP performance than the original 1070.

Thanks for the information!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Resonance22 posted:

Thanks for the information!

No problem. Also, it seems like they're all sold out at $460 now anyway.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

Did you also try swapping the sticks? What about just running each individually? With these two things, you should be able to determine if you are having motherboard issues or it's the stick themselves.

I can't actually remember. I'll be sure to check that.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What's the best CPU I can put in an ASUS B150M-A - looking to keep it around 70 GBP. Am I thinking a Pentium of some sort and one with hyperthreading?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dead Goon posted:

What's the best CPU I can put in an ASUS B150M-A - looking to keep it around 70 GBP. Am I thinking a Pentium of some sort and one with hyperthreading?

If you already have a CPU in the board currently and can flash the board's BIOS to the most recent version, a Pentium G4560 (2C/4T) will work in it and JUST fit in your budget. It's effectively an i3-7100 for 20GBP less.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If you already have a CPU in the board currently and can flash the board's BIOS to the most recent version, a Pentium G4560 (2C/4T) will work in it and JUST fit in your budget. It's effectively an i3-7100 for 20GBP less.

It had an i5-6500 in it that I sold due to being poor. Pretty sure I did BIOS updates on general principle when it was up and running just to be sure.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dead Goon posted:

It had an i5-6500 in it that I sold due to being poor. Pretty sure I did BIOS updates on general principle when it was up and running just to be sure.

Yeah, the G4560 is a Kaby Lake-based Pentium, so it requires a Kaby Lake-ready BIOS. Definitely buy from someplace with a lax return policy.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, the G4560 is a Kaby Lake-based Pentium, so it requires a Kaby Lake-ready BIOS. Definitely buy from someplace with a lax return policy.

Thanks, BIG HEADLINE - what would I have to stretch my budget to get a known compatible board and the Pentium. I could maybe push up to 120 GBP but would rather use the motherboard I already have, and it already has 16GB of 2133 DDR4 RAM. Literally just looking for a CPU or cheap combo to use what I have.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
What should I use as placeholder for CPU/mobo for PC part picker in preparation of the 8700K?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 1070Ti is coming out at the end of the month and you should still be in the Step Up window by then. Once you're in the queue it doesn't matter when they get the card to you.

Well, I’m an impatient child and submitted the return for the 1070 with an EVGA 1080 SC2 coming in today. I actually register the 1070 to be ready for the 1070 TI step up and found out that they won’t cross ship and you pay for shipping out of pocket. That, combined with a free copy of Shadow of War was enough of an incentive.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Kaedric posted:

I think it's time I replaced my computer, as it's served me well for the past... six? years or so. In fact I would probably still be using it except my video card died an unholy death and so did my monitor, and neither one is really fixable without shelling out several hundred dollars.

With that in mind I'm looking for a setup that will last me another 5-6 years. Reading up it appears to me that getting something G-syncy would help with longevity. I'm not opposed to free-sync but I think I've internalized advertising and only am really considering nvidia cards. After that I'm not sure if I should be looking at 1080p monitors or 1440, although I would like IPS for no real reason. The one I see folks mention the most is the Acer XB271HU https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-2560x1440-Display/dp/B0173PEX20/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 I would have already clicked purchase except I see tons of complaints about backlight issues and quality control and I'm incredibly gun-shy about those types of things. Is there a monitor out there that isn't necessarily as risky?

There's some real picky motherfuckers buying that monitor. You can find 'owners threads' where people report multiple (like, 5) returns because the BLB was "horrific" or some such description.
In truth, all IPS screens suffer from something called IPS glow; where a little light comes through the screen viewed at tight angles. If you sit very close the corners can be at enough of an angle for this to happen.
Whilst I can make mine look as "bad" as the examples they show (sit in a dark room and use a phone and expose for the black) in anything other than a perfectly dark room the blacks stay pretty black. Cameras exaggerate this massively due to having small dynamic range.

If you want to watch movies in a dark room on an IPS screen, you'll want to use bias lighting to make your brain see the screen as black.

Everything else about this screen is amazing.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'd be pretty picky about something that costs nearly a grand too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Khablam posted:

Everything else about this screen is amazing.

I don't know, the design aesthetics are pretty horrible. I thought we got over tacky "gamer" designs a while back, but looking at Z370 motherboards clearly that's not the case. I don't need my components to double as an edged weapon.