Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Mr. Nice! posted:

So is there any quick way for solo light for the HW relic thanks to unsyncing?

Bugdad hard maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I do wish Hildebrand 4.0 will be more rewarding. A new emote or trial would be fantastic

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
A new emote would be cool. The Hildibrand emote in Heavensward was hidden in the Scholasticate chain.

I hope we get a legs-sticking-out-of-the-ground emote.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Leofish posted:

A new emote would be cool. The Hildibrand emote in Heavensward was hidden in the Scholasticate chain.

I hope we get a legs-sticking-out-of-the-ground emote.

I didn't even know there was a new emote. I guess I know what I'm doing now that I've finished getting SCH to 70.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's a secret Briardien sidequest. You'd never know they were involved based on the introduction quest.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

meiram posted:

I didn't even know there was a new emote. I guess I know what I'm doing now that I've finished getting SCH to 70.

It's not as zany, but Scholasticate is a fun little high school anime quest series. You get a couple of glamour items and an emote out of it. Starts with an NPC most of the way down the Jeweled Crozier in Ishgard. Same guy who has a sidequest that rewards a Thavnairian Onion.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, I was reminded of something. I'm leveling Crafters and was told by someone in-game that I should find someone to make me Levekits so I can grow faster.

I did some Levequests earlier and they gave me more EXP for HQ items, so I guess he meant that? How do I find someone to help with that?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, I was reminded of something. I'm leveling Crafters and was told by someone in-game that I should find someone to make me Levekits so I can grow faster.

I did some Levequests earlier and they gave me more EXP for HQ items, so I guess he meant that? How do I find someone to help with that?

You buy either the HQ crafted items or the HQ mats so that making them HQ is easier.

Crafting is more interesting in FFXIV than in some MMOs, and it's rewarding enough for me to recommend to anyone who plans on playing longer than a month. Repairing anywhere/anytime for less cost is really nice, as is being self-sufficient for glamour prisms, dyes, materia, and gear/transmogs for alts and friends. Plus it's not a bad way to make some gil, especially once you reach max level and put in some time with the market board. And it's basically necessary if you want to get into housing. But it's not so good that I recommend buying kits, especially for new players who don't have much gil. This game's good at not needing gil to progress, but having 5-10 million on hand for the odd expense and for some seed money is smart.

I'd say take your time, do beast tribes and leves when you have them, along with weekly crafting challenges.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Leofish posted:

It's not as zany, but Scholasticate is a fun little high school anime quest series. You get a couple of glamour items and an emote out of it. Starts with an NPC most of the way down the Jeweled Crozier in Ishgard. Same guy who has a sidequest that rewards a Thavnairian Onion.

You weren't kidding about the anime high school thing. That was a fun series of quests, although I have to admit I'm a little disappointed in how they implemented the emote on my dragon girl.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

isk posted:

I'd say take your time, do beast tribes and leves when you have them, along with weekly crafting challenges.

Well alrighty.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Leofish posted:

I enjoyed the scholasticate quests a lot more than HW hildy. It was a very cool change of pace and I'm a huge fan of whodunits anyway, so it was right up my alley. They did a really good job of letting you give an answer and try to figure it out, but Briardien was there to keep the story going if you got stuck. It's a lot harder of a line to toe than it looks.

Also, ARR hildy was better because they didn't actually intend to do HW hildy. Scholasticate was supposed to replace it, but people kept clamoring for hildy so they wrote up a hildy script quicker than they probably did with the ARR ones.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

The first scholasticate quest was pretty good as an introduction, but all of the ones after that were just incredibly boring. I had zero interest in any of the characters and tbh I still can't even remember what they were about. A murder? A kidnapping? Too disinterested to look it up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Scholasticate is basically what Hildibrand pretends to be, but played serious instead of for laughs. I loved it but it is very dry tbh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

The first scholasticate quest was pretty good as an introduction, but all of the ones after that were just incredibly boring. I had zero interest in any of the characters and tbh I still can't even remember what they were about. A murder? A kidnapping? Too disinterested to look it up.

This, except it didn't start strong either.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

isk posted:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well alrighty.

Also, you can turn in one item a day for each crafting and gathering class you've unlocked at your Grand Company for a few seals and some experience. At low levels, the items can be easily obtained from vendors in most cases. It's a good passive way to keep giving a little boost to your gatherers and crafters without really having to do much work. Once you've got a bit more money you can find HQ versions on the MB, but they're generally going to be about 5 to 10 times the price of the NQ. Turning in HQ items to the GC will get you double XP and double seals, and there's a weekly challenge that'll get you an extra 1000 seals for doing HQ turn-ins. (There's also a challenge for doing NQ turn-ins.)

Once you get to 50, the prices for these kinds of turn-ins generally skyrocket but, at that point, you'll have other options.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

A prefect is framed for a kidnapping by a teacher.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So if one was to want to start getting into crafting, is there an order of classes that would make it the easiest? I know you're suppose to get all of them up to 50 before you can even start considering starting.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So if one was to want to start getting into crafting, is there an order of classes that would make it the easiest? I know you're suppose to get all of them up to 50 before you can even start considering starting.

Carpenter, Weaver, and Culinarian have the big important cross class skills, with Carpenter's being the highest at 50. Weaver you want at 15 for Careful Synthesis, since it's a RNG-free progress increase skill. There's an upgrade to it at 50 as well, but the first helps a lot on it's own. Hasty Touch is the Culinarian skill at level 15. It increases quality at a low success rate, but doesn't require any CP to use. Culinarian also has Steady Hand 2 at 37. Getting everything to 15 before doing anything else is an incredibly good idea, easy to do, and generally will give you a huge leg up in cross classes, even if some have incredibly fringe uses.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 2, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If you teach a man to fish, you must also teach him to gather plants, mine, weave, forge, cook, carve... :shepicide:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

isk posted:

You buy either the HQ crafted items or the HQ mats so that making them HQ is easier.

Crafting is more interesting in FFXIV than in some MMOs, and it's rewarding enough for me to recommend to anyone who plans on playing longer than a month. Repairing anywhere/anytime for less cost is really nice, as is being self-sufficient for glamour prisms, dyes, materia, and gear/transmogs for alts and friends. Plus it's not a bad way to make some gil, especially once you reach max level and put in some time with the market board. And it's basically necessary if you want to get into housing. But it's not so good that I recommend buying kits, especially for new players who don't have much gil. This game's good at not needing gil to progress, but having 5-10 million on hand for the odd expense and for some seed money is smart.

Eh no. If you level your crafting au naturale it will end up costing a lot more money than just buying a levekit especially if you factor in buying gear upgrades along the way so you can jump the HQ class quest hurdles. Levekits are efficient as hell, and rather cheap (I paid 450k for a ltw kit). I leveled WVR 1-70 the hard way and I'm going to go ahead and chant "Never again".

Edited to say 450k because I’m dumb and put an m instead of a k but bravo to there being even dumber goons who saw that and took it at face value.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 2, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Four hundred and fifty MILLION? You got fleeced boss, hard.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Eh no. If you level your crafting au naturale it will end up costing a lot more money than just buying a levekit especially if you factor in buying gear upgrades along the way so you can jump the HQ class quest hurdles. Levekits are efficient as hell, and rather cheap (I paid 450m for a ltw kit). I leveled WVR 1-70 the hard way and I'm going to go ahead and chant "Never again".

lmao don't be this moron and spend 450m on a leveling kit.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'll sell you one for only 400 million hit me up.

In before tears of people mad I'm cutting under the 'established' price.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Are there any servers where 450m is actually relatively cheap? I dunno maybe some have massive amounts of gil floating around.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

*levels his DoH with crafting levekits he bought off PF*

*has FC/LS/PF people make his endgame crafting equipment for him*

*literally doesn't know how to craft an at-level item without a rotation he copied off a website*

"Actually let me tell you why crafting in this game is bad"

(Not calling out anyone in this thread, but these guys do seem to be becoming more common since ARR)

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 2, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Everything to 15 > Culinarian to 37 > Carpenter/Weaver to 50 > Everything else to 50

I think this is what I've been told.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Levekits are efficient as hell, and rather cheap (I paid 450m for a ltw kit).

I hope to god you typo'd 450k there.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

comingafteryouall posted:

Are there any servers where 450m is actually relatively cheap? I dunno maybe some have massive amounts of gil floating around.

Isn't the cap at 1b-1?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

*levels his DoH with crafting levekits he bought off PF*

*has FC/LS/PF people make his endgame crafting equipment for him*

*literally doesn't know how to craft an at-level item without a rotation he copied off a website*

(Not calling out anyone in this thread, but these guys do seem to be becoming more common since ARR)

Not me! I levelled the hard way (my poor e-wallet) and came up with my own rotation along the way which I used right up to level 60 until I did some research and realised I was doing it all completely wrong! :haw:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Leal posted:

Four hundred and fifty MILLION? You got fleeced boss, hard.

Gah 450k not m.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
[quote="“kirbysuperstar”" post="“476975706”"]
I hope to god you typo’d 450k there.
[/quote]

Yes I did, for 450m you could afford to just grind it up, then buy a half dozen houses to decorate.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
For 450m I could probably get someone to fly out here and sit at my desk and do the levelling for me.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Crafting is okay, leveling crafting is bad though when the optimal way doesn't actually involve crafting.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If I wanted to do some crafting just to eventually get the moogle dances, is taking everything to 15 still what I should do? I was thinking I might just do Ixal dailies and the occasional leve or whatever. I'm not looking for speed or anything, just a way to work towards it while sitting in queues and stuff.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Shy posted:

Crafting is okay, leveling crafting is bad though when the optimal way doesn't actually involve crafting.

I leveled crafting suboptimally over a period of probably something like six months by mostly just doing the GC turnins every day. It was fun.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

If I wanted to do some crafting just to eventually get the moogle dances, is taking everything to 15 still what I should do? I was thinking I might just do Ixal dailies and the occasional leve or whatever. I'm not looking for speed or anything, just a way to work towards it while sitting in queues and stuff.

Some of the Ixal dailies can be a pain without cross class skills, it takes about an hour to get a class to 15 and you probably don't have to move from the guild.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If all you want to do is see the ixal/mog quest lines you can just turn in PotD hq potions for alchemist leves for basically 0 cost/effort. That will cover a huge chunk of the way to 50.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The worst part of crafting is getting the notification that you can't begin crafting because you aren't wearing the Ixal's stupid gloves.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
[quote="“Shy”" post="“476976445”"]
Crafting is okay, leveling crafting is bad though when the optimal way doesn’t actually involve crafting.
[/quote]

It’s pretty clear they intended you to level crafting by doing the full crafting log with a few stints of grinding/leves to make up the deficit. It’s also clear that this is the most expensive/pain in the rear end way to do it.

Organically leveling a crafting class is a giant pain in the dick. Thank god for Moogle dailies

[quote="“comingafteryouall”" post="“476976849”"]
Some of the Ixal dailies can be a pain without cross class skills, it takes about an hour to get a class to 15 and you probably don’t have to move from the guild.
[/quote]

Yeah just park next to the supplies vendor in your FC house and grind out 15 on all in like two hours and fairly cheep too.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

So um, let's assume that one of these people were reading the thread right now, is there a good resource for learning how to actually do good crafting manually? I'm obviously an expert, but with so many abilities, you have to assume that many people are just copying macros off of simulators, and it would be great if we could help those poor souls learn how to reliably produce HQ gear without leaving it fully in the hands of the RNG

Cuz you know, these people, whoever they are, are probably coming up on 70 soon and it'd be great if they could make their own sets of HQ 70 gear without breaking the bank

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 2, 2017