Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

the actual answer, posted by someone in the original Reddit thread i believe, is that the bot was broken to begin with and it was only coincidence that it broke on that message

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CommunistPancake posted:

the actual answer, posted by someone in the original Reddit thread i believe, is that the bot was broken to begin with and it was only coincidence that it broke on that message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPiUN8fb3Og

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
what needs to make a comeback are those old imprint credit card machines. put the card in a slot, put the receipt on top, ker chunk.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This will never get old

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wild EEPROM posted:

what needs to make a comeback are those old imprint credit card machines. put the card in a slot, put the receipt on top, ker chunk.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah that plus issuing cards without raised numbers like the new amex platinum

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

i feel bad for that guy and probably the guy filming for not having hearing protection down there. that room has to be well over the osha threshold for mandatory protection.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Wild EEPROM posted:

had to use one of those every now and then when i was a manager of a convenience store back in 04-05.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

i feel bad for that guy and probably the guy filming for not having hearing protection down there. that room has to be well over the osha threshold for mandatory protection.

having worked in data centers the OSHA requirement afaik is to have ear pro available, you can't really force people to use it. there's almost certainly a giant tub of ear plugs on the wall somewhere off camera

also the noise in there is very "white," you often don't realize how hard it is on your hearing until you walk out somewhere quieter and go "poo poo it's loud in there!" which kind of cuts down on the innate instinct to protect your ears if you don't go into computer rooms often

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Wild EEPROM posted:

my cards don't even have raised lettering on them anymore.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i don't even own a credit card because i think the plastic shard is still technically owned by the issuing bank

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

minivanmegafun posted:

don't go into computer rooms often

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr. Nice! posted:

had to use one of those every now and then when i was a manager of a convenience store back in 04-05.

I encountered one in use within the last couple of months in a taxi. it was really surprising!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
edit: nvm

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
is this a security gently caress?
https://www.pentestpartners.com/security-blog/screwdriving-locating-and-exploiting-smart-adult-toys/

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

infernal machines posted:

they're rotating at 15k rpm, so yeah vibration is bad

o i c it was already posted

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

apparently avast ran out of server space on ccleaner poo poo so they can't possibly know the number of infections

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

apparently avast ran out of server space on ccleaner poo poo so they can't possibly know the number of infections

p sure that was known in one of the writeups posted last week, and the attacker had to log in and delete some logs because they ran out of server space

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmbo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

p sure that was known in one of the writeups posted last week, and the attacker had to log in and delete some logs because they ran out of server space

yeah that was article from sep 25, im just catchin up with the news today

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Air Gap conquered by fans.

https://www.wired.com/2016/06/clever-attack-uses-sound-computers-fan-steal-data/

Granted, 900-1,200 bits an hour.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

trump is going to bomb some country over equifax, isn't he

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

living in the future is pretty cool sometimes yeah

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I suspect if your fans had color changing LEDs you could cross the air gap even faster if the RGB are controlled by the Mainboard.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

cinci zoo sniper posted:

trump is going to bomb some country over equifax, isn't he

You're assuming that he's savvy enough to do it in response to anything but a personal insult or because he's feeling pouty

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

there was a backup at some point as avast put two versions they had together to get a bigger picture of stage 2 affected machines. still won't be completely accurate though

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

dnsmasq rces https://security.googleblog.com/2017/10/behind-masq-yet-more-dns-and-dhcp.html

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
what in the gently caress

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...n-idUSKCN1C716M

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

oh wow :staredog:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ahahahahahahaha.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they wanted to sell their product in Russia so did what they needed to! :capitalism:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

besides open source is good right, why is anyone complaining! :v:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
open sores is always a security risk

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i feel like we should have a "thats our shaggar!" emote but I have no idea what it'd be

an SUV running over a bicycle and tux?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

open sores is always a security risk

HP is a security risk. They specifically shared closed source code with them.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
right. they opened the sores to Russian intelligence. they should not be giving source code to anyone if they want to be secure.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

quote:

Paller also said HPE’s decision to allow the review was not surprising. If tech companies like HPE want to do business in Russia, ”they don’t really have any choice,” he said.

up
against
the
wall

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

they wanted to sell their product in Russia so did what they needed to! :capitalism:

foreign vendors are asked to do the same thing for the u.s. government

why does this surprise or dismay anyone

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not surprising or dismaying anyone it's just funny

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“Notorious b.s.d.”" post="“476975564”"]

[/quote]

it's surprising it isn't an ITAR or contract violation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nah, this is the us government we're talking about. theres no way procurement would be that incompetent

• Locked thread