Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

Does this happen though? I played it recently and even this many years after release I had multiple people crop up in my game.

I replayed it like a month ago and only got like one dude who seemed to be afk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

lets hang out posted:

I always enjoyed the poison swamps in souls games

They're all great except for black gulch

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

precision posted:

Mainly I just didn't like the Mr. Jefferson stuff. It felt like it had turned into a fairly cliche horror movie in those scenes

The escape from the dark room is pretty much my favourite sequence. I found it really intense

Bonus points for having this dialogue choice

Nina fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 2, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the main relationship and a few of the scenes in life is strange but i didn't care for the overall plot

blowing off warren was funny

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

tap my mountain posted:

The poison swamp in ds2 is harvest valley and its quite bad

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

The poison swamp in ds2 is harvest valley and its quite bad

Oh yeah I forgot about harvest valley, that place is pretty bad

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Journey is amazingly great but it loses so so so much if you don't encounter anyone online and for that I can't call it perfect.

PantsBandit posted:

Does this happen though? I played it recently and even this many years after release I had multiple people crop up in my game.

The only time I played it was near release I didn't encounter a single person and was wondering what all the fuss was about. Not that the core game isn't interesting.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The lingo in Life is Strange makes a lot more sense when you look at this pic I found of the writing team

At least half the posters in this thread would wear that shirt

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Black Gulch is short enough to work well imo and I really dig the aesthetic. I also think the slow descent into the Gutter owns and in general enjoy the torch/darkness stuff, even if it wasn't as fully realized as people hoped

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Sometimes I get flashbacks about poison statues

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Harvest Valley is easy to get through when you know where you are going since it doesn't impede your movement.

Farron Keep is the worst poison valley. Its a loving garbage and so insanely boring. Even when you ignore everything in it and do the bare minimum, it still takes a few minutes due to the abundance of muck.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only time Souls swamps were bad was console Blighttown because it's nearly unplayable in spots due to the technical issues

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Holy poo poo, I was going to get around to the Nioh DLC eventually but playing it on the PC sounds rad. I don't know how good Koei Tecmo's ports are but if I can play it at 1440p@60fps that will be glorious

exquisite tea posted:

I can't be rational or even critical about Life is Strange, it's impossible to say how much I love it.

Are you playing it while vaping some dank OG bud

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Looper posted:

Black Gulch is short enough to work well imo and I really dig the aesthetic. I also think the slow descent into the Gutter owns and in general enjoy the torch/darkness stuff, even if it wasn't as fully realized as people hoped

The gutter is excellent, but black gulch is just too short and easy. It feels more incomplete than Lost Izalith.

It'd be a better zone if there wasn't a bonfire at the beginning. If you had were forced to go through it immediately after the gutter it'd be more exciting but as it is if you screw up too much you can just restart and only lose 10 feet of progress.

Internet Kraken posted:

Farron Keep is the worst poison valley. Its a loving garbage and so insanely boring. Even when you ignore everything in it and do the bare minimum, it still takes a few minutes due to the abundance of muck.

Farron keep is one of the better parts of the game, the only bad part is those lovely enemies that do that janky jump and claw your head off.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy poo poo, I was going to get around to the Nioh DLC eventually but playing it on the PC sounds rad. I don't know how good Koei Tecmo's ports are but if I can play it at 1440p@60fps that will be glorious

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

KT's ports are pretty bad.

edit: WELP, that I didn't know about it. vvv

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 2, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are you playing it while vaping some dank OG bud

You might not be able to. The game is restricted to the 1080p-max 60fps mode and the special 4k 30 fps mode the ps4 pro has.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Monkey's Paw curls a digit:

"The PC version will include two visual presentation modes: Action Mode, which aims for a stable 60 fps frame rate, and Movie Mode, a “cinematic” option with a 4K display resolution. Koei Tecmo's note to press suggests you can't deviate from either of these two modes, no matter how powerful your PC."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-02-nioh-confirmed-for-pc-out-november-via-steam

edit: There's no doubt in my mind this limitation will be overcome by some young aspiring modder though. We live in the era of DSFix so anything is possible.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

tap my mountain posted:

Farron keep is one of the better parts of the game, the only bad part is those lovely enemies that do that janky jump and claw your head off.

I legit don't understand how anyone can enjoy Farron Keep. It has lovely enemies, boring visuals, and irritating mechanics.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

The gutter is excellent, but black gulch is just too short and easy. It feels more incomplete than Lost Izalith.

It'd be a better zone if there wasn't a bonfire at the beginning. If you had were forced to go through it immediately after the gutter it'd be more exciting but as it is if you screw up too much you can just restart and only lose 10 feet of progress.

The density of the statues is important for good GameFeel but because of that, I think making the area any larger would just be frustrating

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I legit don't understand how anyone can enjoy Farron Keep. It has lovely enemies, boring visuals, and irritating mechanics.

What if I told you it has memorable enemies, striking visuals, and fun mechanics?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jay Rust posted:

What if I told you it has memorable enemies, striking visuals, and fun mechanics?

If you were serious I might want you to elaborate and then we could have a serious discussion on level and visual design in the Souls series.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If DS3 had the Rusted Iron Ring from the first game, I would have no problems with Farron Keep.

But it doesn't.

So Farron Keep loving sucks.

edit: And honestly it not being included is so strange to me considering the sheer number of straight-outta-Lordran enemies and items that pop up in 3 elsewhere.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

You can just spam the quickstep weapon art. It's goofy but gets the job done

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Hell I like it. Pretty varied number of enemies in the area, some of which with very cool designs like the super tall ghrus, a non-linear objective for completing the area and a couple nifty secrets. Also there are not that many spots where you absolutely have to walk in the slow muck, so I don't find repeat playthroughs that annoying.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The giant dudes with the trees are really cool, going up the towers and seeing above the canopy to get your bearings was cool, the secret area with Havel was cool, also the boss was very cool.

All in all it was a pretty decent area which puts it above most of DS2

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

If you were serious I might want you to elaborate and then we could have a serious discussion on level and visual design in the Souls series.

I mean it's not the greatest place in the world but it's by no means bad. You need a swamp of poo poo to counter the earlier and later majestic cathedrals. The only thing I can think of that's bullshit is those tall lanky enemies who are able to do grab attacks with no telegraph

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Probably the worst thing I can say about the area is that they totally wussed out and made the poison itself completely harmless.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Lemme put i this way; there's a problem the Souls series has where a lot of the time, its better to just run past and ignore the enemies than actually engage with them. Farron Keep is this problem at its worst. There's no reason to actually bother engaging with the enemies there. The slugs are lovely and pointless, easily ignored. The grues have no chasing potential so you can easily bypass them. Basilisks are only dangerous if you actually linger in there gas. The elder grues are utterly horrid and trying to fight them in the sludge is an exercise in frustration.

I don't like running past enemies in Souls games, but actually fighting stuff in Farron isn't fun. If I don't want to actually fight the enemies and its easier to ignore them than engage with them, then I feel like there has been a failure in the game design.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Top ten souls areas in no particular order
  • Duke's Archives
  • Blighttown
  • Forbidden Woods
  • Fishing Hamlet
  • Cainhurst Castle
  • Shrine of Storms
  • Unseen Village
  • Shrine of Amana (prenerf)
  • Tower of Latria
  • Hemwick Lane

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

tap my mountain posted:

Top ten souls areas in no particular order
  • Duke's Archives
  • Blighttown
  • Forbidden Woods
  • Fishing Hamlet
  • Cainhurst Castle
  • Shrine of Storms
  • Unseen Village
  • Shrine of Amana (prenerf)
  • Tower of Latria
  • Hemwick Lane

nothing from dark souls 3, list checks out

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I really like how rainy and wet the Fishing Hamlet is. Makes it kind of relaxing to run through.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Raxivace posted:

I really like how rainy and wet the Fishing Hamlet is. Makes it kind of relaxing to run through.

*gets eaten by a giant shark man*

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

nachos posted:

nothing from dark souls 3, list checks out

Cathedral of the deep would be on my list.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When I play Souls games, I have to pick up every item and clear out every enemy in every zone, even on subsequent playthroughs, even if I know perfectly well that the items will not be useful for my current character

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

Cathedral of the deep would be on my list.

Oh poo poo I thought I put that on there

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

In Training posted:

Its espcially rough in ranked because of how far away a death puts you from the objective. Which is fine in concept but coupled with how the middle of that map is designed...woof! There's a reason no maps from Splatoon 2 even resemble Moray Towers but thanks to the japanese popularity vote on which maps to bring to S2 we have this wonderful relic! gently caress off you idiotic japanese middle schoolers! you dont know map design for poo poo!

Wait, that was picked because they put it up to a vote?! Over massively superior maps like Skatepark or Warehouse, or even Heights??

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rest in peace tom petty, the "American Girl".......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXkblbJqwn0

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

oddium posted:

rest in peace tom petty, the "American Girl".......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXkblbJqwn0

what the fuuuuuck

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

RIP

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Lemme put i this way; there's a problem the Souls series has where a lot of the time, its better to just run past and ignore the enemies than actually engage with them.

I don't like running past enemies in Souls games, but actually fighting stuff in Farron isn't fun. If I don't want to actually fight the enemies and its easier to ignore them than engage with them, then I feel like there has been a failure in the game design.

I mean, it's cool if you want to play that way but it's kind of funny that you see one of the basic properties of the game as a problem. Souls series is grimdark Metroid. It's a game about mastering traversal of an environment and then boss fights. One way to traverse the environment is slowly and carefully, killing everything until you have empty levels that you can explore to your heart's content. The other way of doing it is learning how you can make your way through the space safely through a mixture of fighting and avoiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

doingitwrong posted:

I mean, it's cool if you want to play that way but it's kind of funny that you see one of the basic properties of the game as a problem. Souls series is grimdark Metroid. It's a game about mastering traversal of an environment and then boss fights. One way to traverse the environment is slowly and carefully, killing everything until you have empty levels that you can explore to your heart's content. The other way of doing it is learning how you can make your way through the space safely through a mixture of fighting and avoiding.

I understand that, but I think enemies should at least be an obstacle so that running past them has some degree of challenge to it. Enemies in Farron Keep aren't hard to avoid, and trying to actually fight them is way more difficult than just ignoring them. This is a problem with almost every area in the Souls series, but I feel its really amplified in Farron Keep.

• Locked thread