Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

it's surprising it isn't an ITAR or contract violation

Don't worry, we didn't share your config info with them :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lmao at the idea that Russia would buy security software from a US company in the first place

also arcsight is garbage, or the parts of it I've heard of at work are anyway

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

nah, this is the us government we're talking about. theres no way procurement would be that incompetent

i don't think most of us can tell when you're being sarcastic or when you just have a real dumb stance on an issue you know

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lmao at the idea that Russia would buy security software from a US company in the first place

also arcsight is garbage, or the parts of it I've heard of at work are anyway

yeah, what a silly thing for a government to do, hah hah

*nervously shuffles kaspersky boxes under the rug, tugs at shirt collar*

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

:piss:

imagine the size of those kickbacks

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If someone looks at our garbage software code they might come to the conclusion that it's garbage :ohdear:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

owns owns owns

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
no biggie, it was just a lil' peek

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
look, the Russians said they didn't find anything wrong ok?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/AP/status/914958427050397696 that's a lot of people

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

there's about 200 million people between the age of 18 and 65 so they need to just come and say "every adult in the United States"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

hobbesmaster posted:

there's about 200 million people between the age of 18 and 65 so they need to just come and say "every adult in the United States"

you may be surprised how many people end up with no credit history well into their thirties because of how poor they are

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I just imagine they'll have to edit it upwards again a few times? unless maybe 1/3 the country has absolutely nothing known to a credit bureau

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

lol at trusting Russia or Russians

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

How is this any different from Kaspersky letting the US have access to its source code?

I mean, the russians are loving assholes but this is the exact same thing.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

there's not some kind of logan's run thing where peoples credit cards turn to powder on their 65th birthday

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fritz posted:

there's not some kind of logan's run thing where peoples credit cards turn to powder on their 65th birthday

that's why I'm waiting on them to find more records

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

its p lol they refer to the victims as customers when the reality is more like "persons enmeshed in our panopticon because they attempted to participate in the us economy"

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

cis autodrag posted:

its p lol they refer to the victims as customers when the reality is more like "persons enmeshed in our panopticon because they attempted to participate in the us economy"

im real glad that the takeaway from the equifax thing is "HACKERS!!!" and not "man it's hosed up that my personal info gets passed around by corporations for profit and there's no regulation or recourse for me to stop it"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ThePeavstenator posted:

im real glad that the takeaway from the equifax thing is "HACKERS!!!" and not "man it's hosed up that my personal info gets passed around by corporations for profit and there's no regulation or recourse for me to stop it"

Or "we continue to use a system predicated on easily stolen PII and then shift the costs into the people when it's wrong, rather than requiring any effort put into validation"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ThePeavstenator posted:

This is why some sovcits become sovcits.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I mean, every adult has had their identity stolen at this point. What do you even do here?

The answer is, of course, "one free year of credit monitoring by the lowest bidder"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

This is why some sovcits become sovcits.

Given their interaction with the court system I'm pretty sure "mental illness" is why some of them do.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41463401

quote:

Home Secretary Amber Rudd has accused technology experts of "patronising" and "sneering" at politicians who try to regulate their industry.
She said Silicon Valley had to do more to help the authorities access messages on end-to-end encrypted services like WhatsApp.
And she said she did not need to understand how they worked to know they were "helping criminals".

She insisted she does not want "back doors" installed in encryption codes, something the industry has warned will weaken security for all users, nor did she want to ban encryption, just to allow easier access by police and the security services.
Asked by an audience member if she understood how end-to-end encryption actually worked, she said: "It's so easy to be patronised in this business. We will do our best to understand it.
"We will take advice from other people but I do feel that there is a sea of criticism for any of us who try and legislate in new areas, who will automatically be sneered at and laughed at for not getting it right."
She added: "I don't need to understand how encryption works to understand how it's helping - end-to-end encryption - the criminals.

quote:

And she said she did not need to understand how they worked to know they were "helping criminals".

quote:

she did not need to understand how they worked

loving what

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
you left out this part

quote:

Michael Beckerman, chief executive of the Internet Association, which represents Google, Microsoft, Amazon and other US tech giants, said it was an "understandable goal" for the home secretary to "want to remove it from end-to-end".

But, he went on, "since it is just math and it has been invented it can't uninvented".

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

But, he went on, "since it is just math and it has been invented it can't uninvented".

lmao

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I wish idiot politicians would actually apply their stubborn zealousness to something that would actually help people, like universal healthcare, or a 100% death tax, or full communism now.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

anthonypants posted:

you left out this part

i looks forward to the government's new 'uninvented here' policy

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I'm glad you can all share in how utterly retarded and incompetent our Tory government is.

For their next act : brexit negotiations :smithicide:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Would this count as rape?

Asking for a friend

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
screwdriving is a fantastic name

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

anthonypants posted:

you left out this part

Reminds me of Turny saying that maths wasn't a law in Australia.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

spankmeister posted:

How is this any different from Kaspersky letting the US have access to its source code?

I mean, the russians are loving assholes but this is the exact same thing.

My thoughts as well. Governments demanding access to source for things they're using in sensitive applications isn't exactly unusual. On top of that, if disclosure of source code is a risk to anything other than the vendor's business model it means their security is pretty hosed to begin with.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

you may be surprised how many people end up with no credit history well into their thirties because of how poor they are

i've always assumed that the reporting agencies still have a file on them that's just empty though, so they can say they have the ~most complete records~ or w/e

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Would this count as rape?

Asking for a friend

yes, yes it would

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

i've always assumed that the reporting agencies still have a file on them that's just empty though, so they can say they have the ~most complete records~ or w/e

yes, file starts when there is information that can be relevant to the decision making by financial institutions. that can be way before the first loan, for example if you are a felon

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Or "we continue to use a system predicated on easily stolen PII and then shift the costs into the people when it's wrong, rather than requiring any effort put into validation"

my friend had a promotion held up for two months because the background check agency used thought he had an arrest record because... someone in a completely different state, 15 years older than him and with a different first AND last name came up somehow. they still required him to appeal it and gather evidence that no, he hadn't ever lived in the midwest and definitely didn't time travel and yes this is in fact his name it is the one that was written on the loving form that you were supposed to check

like how do you even gently caress up that badly :psyduck:

e: oh and they didn't tell him any of this at first, just that YOU HAVE AN ARREST RECORD, you have to actually get the background check results (which costs money iirc) and dispute them specifically, because gently caress you

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm guessing that the person used his name as an alias?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

I'm guessing that the person used his name as an alias?

iirc the background check company listed "known aliases" as blank but who knows if that's accurate since nothing else they did was accurate

e: also his name is real weird so if the guy did he either stole his identity (which seems unlikely since there's no other evidence of that) or randomly picked a super weird name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hobbesmaster posted:

what was the fallout from the last time the complete PII of every voting-age adult in the states was published, anyway

• Locked thread