Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also argument doesn't bear weight for Star Trek Enterprise not being STE because it was just named Enterprise until season 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

I get that you hate the show (very understandable, even from someone who likes it), but you realize the trial was longer than 12 seconds and many things were probably said that didn't end up on screen, right? There is plenty to not like about the show without resorting to "clearly the main character withheld evidence at her trial to cover up her crimes. The writers are too bad to havenot shown them discussing what most militaries wouldn't have cared about under the circumstances!"

*I think I'm being ambiguous enough to not have to spoiler this post.

But again- this is a show that took (I think) 4 opportunities to reiterate to you that Burnham was a mutineer. The prisoners comment on it. Lorca comments on it. Cadet nerd comments on it. Saru obviously comments on it- and that's off the top of my head. This is also a show that decided to throw in a completely pointless cafeteria fight scene.

And a military would have absolutely cared about it. In fact I almost can't imagine how it didn't come up- even though nobody has actually said a word about it on screen despite all they've said about the less consequential mutiny:

Judge: Where is Captain Georgiou's body?
Burnham: On the Klingon ship
Judge: You left her there?
Burnham: we couldn't beam her back, she had no life signs
Judge: How did she die?
Burnham: Well your honor she was stabbed in the dang chest by a Klingon
Judge: What were you doing over there?
Burnham: We went over there to capture T'Kuvma to try and end the war
Judge: And you failed at that?
Burnham: Yes
Judge: Is T'Kuvma still alive?
Burnham: no

anyways you see where this goes I think?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Also argument doesn't bear weight for Star Trek Enterprise not being STE because it was just named Enterprise until season 3

Looking forward to Discovery doing this in reverse a couple years from now

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

skasion posted:

Looking forward to Discovery doing this in reverse a couple years from now

Ah, an optimist.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ah, an optimist.

Well hey, optimism for the future is what Trek is all about :grin:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

skasion posted:

Well hey, optimism for the future is what Trek is all about :grin:

I am also optimistic that everything will be dark, brutal, and grumpy in the future.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

But again- this is a show that took (I think) 4 opportunities to reiterate to you that Burnham was a mutineer. The prisoners comment on it. Lorca comments on it. Cadet nerd comments on it. Saru obviously comments on it- and that's off the top of my head. This is also a show that decided to throw in a completely pointless cafeteria fight scene.

And a military would have absolutely cared about it. In fact I almost can't imagine how it didn't come up- even though nobody has actually said a word about it on screen despite all they've said about the less consequential mutiny:

The action you are talking about doesn't seem relevant to the trial at all. By the time it happens, the battle had already resulted in 8,000 deaths and the destruction of a ton of Starships and Starfleet personnel, including an admiral. At that point, trying to capture the enemy commander who had lead a massive attack, failing, and killing him instead is basically failing a mission, not committing a crime against Starfleet. Especially since she went with the captain.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm saying that she told them, but that they didn't care. If there hadn't been a mutiny, they probably would have debated the issue and maybe put a reprimand in her file. With the mutiny and the other charges, they probably didn't think it was worth it. She was already up for life in prison and they don't have the death penalty unless you go to Talos IV. Nobody cares if you jaywalk on the way to rob a bank.

We know that they would have been in a much better position to end the war had they captured T'Kuvma alive, but given that he was armed, had just killed someone, and there were more enemy soldiers around Starfleet brass could very easily justify using deadly force on a guy that just started a war.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love that there's a death penalty for going to Talos IV because their ability of illusions is far too dangerous and tempting, and less than a century later all ships are basically outfitted with their own Talos IV.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

wait why would you kill people for going somewhere nice?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I love that there's a death penalty for going to Talos IV because their ability of illusions is far too dangerous and tempting, and less than a century later all ships are basically outfitted with their own Talos IV.

Kirk would take an axe to the holodeck and in the pile of rubble he'd give a speech about how man is a slave and not a god to his own delusions and the power of the heart being greater than the cowardice of the mind, or something.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Arglebargle III posted:

wait why would you kill people for going somewhere nice?

The feds were a more extreme Worf from the episode where he gets mad people on Risa are loving.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

vermin posted:

Kirk would take axe to the holodeck and in the pile of rubble he'd give a speech about how man is a slave and not a god to his own delusions and the power of the heart being greater than the cowardice of the mind, or something.

Big words from a man whose real life is his Holodeck Fantasy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah the UFP would refuse to fix even super autism we see this in DS9. They'd draw the line at super debilitating symptoms like catatonia.

The supernerds that Bashir babysat were the product of attempted genetic engineering. Someone already tried to "fix" or "improve" them and it turned out badly.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

vermin posted:

Kirk would take an axe to the holodeck and in the pile of rubble he'd give a speech about how man is a slave and not a god to his own delusions and the power of the heart being greater than the cowardice of the mind, or something.

Which is one reason why I love TOS so much. It wasn't optimistic about the future, but not utopian. Episodes never shied away from depicting characters as going into situations with the wrong mindset (like Kirk warmongering after the Cestus III attack) and changing their mind after more facts became known.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

There is a TAS episode where they randomly have a holodeck, which predictably breaks. Kirk doesn't use it though if i recall. It's the episode with KIRK IS A JERK.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Practical Joker. My personal head canon is that they didn't have holodeck technology until TNG, although I pretty much consider TAS canon.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah the UFP would refuse to fix even super autism we see this in DS9. They'd draw the line at super debilitating symptoms like catatonia.

Non Trek tangent here there's a show coming out on ABC, I think it's called The Good Doctor. It's about a young doctor who has super autism. I'm not being glib, theres a trailer for it that ends with "Yes, he has autism." Like it's a super power. So now whenever I hear someone talk about Bashir I'll think of that trailer.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The supernerds that Bashir babysat were the product of attempted genetic engineering. Someone already tried to "fix" or "improve" them and it turned out badly.

Yes, but they straight up say they got messed up because they were treated by graduates of Hollywood Upstairs Medical College.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sash! posted:

Yes, but they straight up say they got messed up because they were treated by graduates of Hollywood Upstairs Medical College.

DS9 hosed up super nerds are evidence why the federation needs well researched and publicly available enhancement for its population, it's that or back alley enhancement.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm saying that she told them, but that they didn't care. If there hadn't been a mutiny, they probably would have debated the issue and maybe put a reprimand in her file. With the mutiny and the other charges, they probably didn't think it was worth it. She was already up for life in prison and they don't have the death penalty unless you go to Talos IV. Nobody cares if you jaywalk on the way to rob a bank.

We know that they would have been in a much better position to end the war had they captured T'Kuvma alive, but given that he was armed, had just killed someone, and there were more enemy soldiers around Starfleet brass could very easily justify using deadly force on a guy that just started a war.

Of course they'd want to know the details. The captain went over to a Klingon ship with only one other person- a person who knocked her out and attempted a mutiny only an hour beforehand- and ended up dead. Did Burnham kill her? That's stuff they need to know. If Burnham didn't, what happened? They're going to try and recreate the details of that mission for posterity.

And so now she's explaining what happened. She explains the plan was to capture him, right? She explains the beamed over with phasers set to stun and was perfectly capable of stunning the first Klingons they encountered. She describes the scuffle. She describes fighting off the Klingon attacking her and then seeing Georgiou getting stabbed. What does she say next?

Burnham: so I shot T'Kuvma
Judge: stunning him?
Burnham: no, i decided to switch my phaser to kill
Judge: why? was the stun setting not working?
Burnham: no, it was working
Judge: were you in immediate personal danger ?
Judge: so why was your phaser on kill
Burnham: oh I was really angry

So- we're assuming she told them everything honestly. Even if the Judges don't believe the capture of T'Kuvma would have made a difference, she's literally telling them she sabotaged the mission as defined by the Captain "just 'cause". The Judges wouldn't wonder how utterly absurd that is? They wouldn't wonder if she was actually lying because this makes no sense?

This would imply so many weird things about the Federation's justice system that I can't even imagine. They were just like 'ehhh, she's got life in prison, no need to spend any more time on this'? And this doesn't even get in to other parts are Starfleet that want to know what happened because they actually need to win a war and the current status of T'Kuvma- alive or dead- might be important to that.

Edit -
I know this is a somewhat pedantic walk through of that scene, but at a storytelling level the killing of T'Kuvma is incredibly important both for defining the world around our characters AND as critical a character defining moment for Burnham as the mutiny. For it to go completely unmentioned isn't them skipping the scene of how Burnham walked from her quarters to the lab. It isn't a perfunctory bit of information. It is as important as reminding you that she's a mutineer. So either they aren't mentioning it because she lied (which is par for the course in melodrama like this), or they comepletely forgot about that scene.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 3, 2017

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
They really did it. They really midichlorian'd Star Trek.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Is the plot of this series going to be that the Discovery's biological warfare program culminates in spreading Tribbles throughout the Klingon Empire.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mossyfisk posted:

Is the plot of this series going to be that the Discovery's biological warfare program culminates in spreading Tribbles throughout the Klingon Empire.
But the Tribbles became dangerous because someone tried to splice their dead child - who died because the Federation death panels denied them access to cordrazine - into them, in the hopes of getting enough child chunx out of the Tribbles to get them. But the child didn't just have cordrazine deficency... they also had the one disease that they can't cure even in the future...

Childhood leukemia.

So tribbles were all juvenile cancer cells all this time. Where is my writing job, CBS

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I like the technicolour look of space they've been using in DSC. Also, this episode was better, but the ship's remit is you have to be a dick?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

The_Doctor posted:

It's Avery Brooks' 69th birthday!

Nice.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Of course they'd want to know the details. The captain went over to a Klingon ship with only one other person- a person who knocked her out and attempted a mutiny only an hour beforehand- and ended up dead. Did Burnham kill her? That's stuff they need to know. If Burnham didn't, what happened? They're going to try and recreate the details of that mission for posterity.

And so now she's explaining what happened. She explains the plan was to capture him, right? She explains the beamed over with phasers set to stun and was perfectly capable of stunning the first Klingons they encountered. She describes the scuffle. She describes fighting off the Klingon attacking her and then seeing Georgiou getting stabbed. What does she say next?

So- we're assuming she told them everything honestly. Even if the Judges don't believe the capture of T'Kuvma would have made a difference, she's literally telling them she sabotaged the mission as defined by the Captain "just 'cause". The Judges wouldn't wonder how utterly absurd that is? They wouldn't wonder if she was actually lying because this makes no sense?

This would imply so many weird things about the Federation's justice system that I can't even imagine. They were just like 'ehhh, she's got life in prison, no need to spend any more time on this'? And this doesn't even get in to other parts are Starfleet that want to know what happened because they actually need to win a war and the current status of T'Kuvma- alive or dead- might be important to that.

Edit -
I know this is a somewhat pedantic walk through of that scene, but at a storytelling level the killing of T'Kuvma is incredibly important both for defining the world around our characters AND as critical a character defining moment for Burnham as the mutiny. For it to go completely unmentioned isn't them skipping the scene of how Burnham walked from her quarters to the lab. It isn't a perfunctory bit of information. It is as important as reminding you that she's a mutineer. So either they aren't mentioning it because she lied (which is par for the course in melodrama like this), or they comepletely forgot about that scene.

So what would they charge her with? Completing the original (and presumably still secondary) objective of the mission? Killing an armed enemy soldier in a situation that was now more dangerous because now she didn't have backup? Forgive me for finding it possible that that isn't the foremost on people's minds.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

I like the technicolour look of space they've been using in DSC. Also, this episode was better, but the ship's remit is you have to be a dick?

You have to wonder what it says about our culture when the modern version of "relate-able, realistic" characterization is "unlikable hostile dick"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The gently caress is this magic spore they introduced? Seriously? Before TOS huh?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

To be fair, this setup has government coverup written all over it. The ship is basically a black site and the shroom engines are obviously one of those things Not Meant For Man To Know like eugenic enhancement, the Genesis device and why they can't just reconstitute dead crew members using the pattern buffer.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

So what would they charge her with? Completing the original (and presumably still secondary) objective of the mission? Killing an armed enemy soldier in a situation that was now more dangerous because now she didn't have backup? Forgive me for finding it possible that that isn't the foremost on people's minds.

Are you interpreting her actions as a decision based on the increased danger of the situation because her backup was gone? Really?

Burnham deciding to kill T'Kuvma is probably the most important moment in the premier. It's honestly more important than the mutiny because despite all the action around it we as an audience know it was pretty irrelevant to what happened next. Killing T'Kuvma however sets the world and story on a course that we are told could have been reversed. It's also incredibly important to understanding who Burnham is, and it's a different piece of information than the mutiny. The mutiny tells us Burnham will break the rules if she thinks it will save her friends. Killing T'Kuvma tells us Burnham will sacrifice her friends for vengeance on Klingons. This piece of information is important. And it's so important that the writers decided to mention in 0 times after the fact so far.

They did mention her being a mutineer 4 times. They did decide to have Lorca talk about his family's fortune cookie biz so they could set up that ham-handed 'Burnham takes her fate in her hand' shot. They did decide to have a pointless snit between Burnham and Stamets just so you knew he could be catty. They did decide to have a cafeteria prison fight scene. It's not as if they didn't have fat to cut elsewhere so they could draw attention this INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT plot point. This was an episode that needed to justify why everyone was angry with Burnham and at no point do they bring out what would be the most obvious point to that: Burnham's need for personal catharsis resulted in this war continuing. And it's not as if this show has established anywhere else that it's any less subtle than a 2x4 cracking over someone's head when it needs to tell you something.

Not mentioning it is a storytelling choice. And the only reason I can imagine you would not mention this very important point on purpose is to set up Burnham's secret shame that will burn her connections with the rest of the crew just as she's being accepted. But the idea that 'well it just wouldn't come up' is absurd. The writer makes things come up. The writers made 'Beetles Cover Band' come up.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Edit -

Not to mention, wouldn't you think that Starfleet would want to know everything they could find about about the first and only mutiny in their history?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Are you interpreting her actions as a decision based on the increased danger of the situation because her backup was gone? Really?

No, I'm saying its a contributing factor towards no crime having been committed.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Killing T'Kuvma tells us Burnham will sacrifice her friends for vengeance on Klingons.

I interpret it as showing that despite being raised by Vulcans, she can still be overcome by her emotions (this is a frequently used trope with Vulcan characters going all the way back to Spock :ssh:) and that she has flaws she can one day overcome.

pyrotek posted:

Not to mention, wouldn't you think that Starfleet would want to know everything they could find about about the first and only mutiny in their history?

You almost make me feel like arguing about Star Trek on the internet is just a big waste of time.

Cat Hatter posted:

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm saying that she told them, but that they didn't care.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

No, I'm saying its a contributing factor towards no crime having been committed.

I interpret it as showing that despite being raised by Vulcans, she can still be overcome by her emotions (this is a frequently used trope with Vulcan characters going all the way back to Spock :ssh:) and that she has flaws she can one day overcome.

You almost make me feel like arguing about Star Trek on the internet is just a big waste of time.

I'm not talking about whether it's a crime. That is actually irrelevant to the story. I'm talking about whether she's told anyone.

And "I'll kill someone" is definitely a form of 'letting emotions get the better of you'. It's still a critical character trait. Congrats.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

This is my favorite argument ever. "Burnham is a character in fiction, your move." Don't settle for merely reductive, let's get downright subatomic here.

Fake edit: so much that we passed back out of spoiler territory because you can barely tell who we're talking about, much less what

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I'm not talking about whether it's a crime. That is actually irrelevant to the story. I'm talking about whether she's told anyone.

And "I'll kill someone" is definitely a form of 'letting emotions get the better of you'. It's still a critical character trait. Congrats.

So now that we're on the same page, why do you feel so strongly that not bringing up a thing that isn't a crime during a brief trial scene is proof that the main character lied about what happened? I agree that it should have been brought up at some point, but we also agree that this isn't Shakespeare.

McSpanky posted:

This is my favorite argument ever. "Burnham is a character in fiction, your move." Don't settle for merely reductive, let's get downright subatomic here.

Fake edit: so much that we passed back out of spoiler territory because you can barely tell who we're talking about, much less what

What are you talking about? This is a commonly used storyline in Star Trek. Why should I assume they aren't doing it again? The show is dark enough on its own without bending it into a premeditated Vengence>Loyalty plotline.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

So now that we're on the same page, why do you feel so strongly that not bringing up a thing that isn't a crime during a brief trial scene is proof that the main character lied about what happened? I agree that it should have been brought up at some point, but we also agree that this isn't Shakespeare.

This very important piece of the story has not been mentioned. But we know it's common knowledge in the story, because even though we have no proof we can just assume the writers are apes.

I don't see how I can argue against this.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

What are you talking about?

It means that what you said isn't a counter example or argument against what he said, you just keep zooming out so the failure of the specifics are lost in the blur of generalities.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tilly doesn't have loving Autism or anything like even a light form of it. Asperger's/High Functioning Autism has specific symptoms, not just 'all awkward nerds'. If anything, she has social anxiety issues.

Saru is the best.

WampaLord posted:

I know I'm not going to make people stop doing it, but it really should be DIS, not STD.

We didn't call Voyager STV or Enterprise STE. One word named shows get the first three letter treatment, three named shows get the acronym (TNG/DS9)

I see DSC getting more traction around than DIS, so I'm just using that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The Practical Joker. My personal head canon is that they didn't have holodeck technology until TNG, although I pretty much consider TAS canon.

ENT hosed with it, but I liked to imagine that TNG solid hologram tech was developed from the Kalandan outpost that projected Losira in That Which Survives.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003