Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Shinjobi posted:

The Cowboys have a very real chance of going 7-9.
Corrected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm cheering for the skins right now because I don't believe Andy Reid has somehow coached up Alex Smith to run a world beating offense.

It has to be a fluke.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

aBagorn posted:

There was a throw yesterday to Ertz in like, the 3rd quarter that was absolutely beautiful

e: it's a little wobblier than I remembered, but the placement is awesome

https://streamable.com/m33co

e2: this one was really good too

https://streamable.com/cp2p2

The two drops by Torrey Smith were really nice passes too:

https://twitter.com/AdrianFedkiw/status/914594098039881728
https://twitter.com/AdrianFedkiw/status/914597173878280197

ok maybe the second was broken up.

(edit to link vids directly)

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm cheering for the skins right now because I don't believe Andy Reid has somehow coached up Alex Smith to run a world beating offense.

It has to be a fluke.

He's putting him in a position to make plays.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 3, 2017

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
[quote="“Gumbel2Gumbel”" post="“477000024”"]
I’m cheering for the skins right now because I don’t believe Andy Reid has somehow coached up Alex Smith to run a world beating offense.

It has to be a fluke.
[/quote]

Reminder that Andy Reid also made Koy Detmer and AJ Feeley look legitimately good for a bit

gently caress I miss Andy. Like I know it was definitely time for him to go because he was over this place, but maaan.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Weird that they're not counting that throw to Ertz as a "deep pass"

LOS was the 11 and Ertz caught it at the 35

(Wentz threw it from the 5, arm only)

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah Wentz definitely didn't look perfect yesterday but he was right on the money with a lot of tough throws, and there were a few that definitely should've been catches and would have bumped his numbers considerably.

He's coming along. Dude looks good. It helps that they're building around him and he doesn't have to languish with a Pinkston/Thrash/Mitchell-level receiving corps and no running game.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's gonna happen. This year's team is built just like those 8-8 Romo teams and 2nd year Dak is even less prepared to deal with the pressure of playing heroball

Fire Jason Garrett

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lote posted:

Fire Jason Garrett

Agreed. Garrett is a poo poo coach

One of the things that never gets talked about is the hit the team took when Callahan left. He was a massive pickup for Washington and Linehan is a clear step down

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

One of the things that never gets talked about is the hit the team took when Callahan left. He was a massive pickup for Washington and Linehan is a clear step down

'16 probably bought Garrett at least 2 more years :sigh:

Cowboys letting half the secondary walk along with half of Washington's defense dying tonight really puts the Eagles in the driver's seat for the division.

I hope Lawrence is feeling better and we have some kind of pass rush against the Packers or Rodger's is gonna :lol: this secondary.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Absolutely. I've been thinking this every time I watch Washington. I don't mind Linehan's play-calling save for some complaints here and there, but Callahan is a fantastic offensive line coach.

Jason Garrett is seemingly content with never ever pushing the ball down the field, and every year without noted aggressive passer Tony Romo makes it more blatant.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

nice

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Also, Dallas has the Packers next week. In Arlington, but still.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Packers are pretty beat up right now though. Dallas at the very, very least should keep it close.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

shyduck posted:

Packers are pretty beat up right now though. Dallas at the very, very least should keep it close.

Yep. And knowing our history against Larry we're gonna get torched and end up losing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

shyduck posted:

Aaron Rodgers will not accept another loss to Dallas. He just won't.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Tom Sellout posted:

Absolutely. I've been thinking this every time I watch Washington. I don't mind Linehan's play-calling save for some complaints here and there, but Callahan is a fantastic offensive line coach.

Jason Garrett is seemingly content with never ever pushing the ball down the field, and every year without noted aggressive passer Tony Romo makes it more blatant.

I don't know if Callahan's a former head coach or not but I think the Skins have something like 4 former HCs on staff right now. I want to see a coaching staff formed from all former HCs.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

AvesPKS posted:

I don't know if Callahan's a former head coach or not but I think the Skins have something like 4 former HCs on staff right now. I want to see a coaching staff formed from all former HCs.

Yes, Callahan is a former head coach

I'm surprised it has taken this long for teams to pay to assemble all-star coaching staffs. Coaching is one of the areas you can get real value by just outspending other teams because there's no salary cap being applied to coaching salaries.

Shinjobi posted:

Aaron Rodgers will not accept another loss to Dallas. He just won't.

We'll see. The team's biggest problem on defense is a lack of depth and talent in the secondary but David Irving is coming back and if Hitchens and Lee can both play at 85%+ there's a real chance the Cowboys can do more than make it a close game.

On the other hand, they could be without both guys, lose another defender early on and spend all day jumping offsides as Rodgers puts up a 350-yard, 4-TD day

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 3, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
http://www.phillyvoice.com/doug-pederson-offense-carrying-jim-schwartz-defense-through-time-of-possession/

Jimmy Kempski posted:

Back in the Chip Kelly days, if the Philadelphia Eagles were getting the football, you better not head to the bathroom for a pee break, or else you might return to see them punting after a quick three-and-out. Actually, on second thought, you were probably better off just missing it.

In 2013, when Kelly's offense put up 442 points, fourth in the NFL, time of possession didn't matter so much. In 2014 and 2015, when his offense wasn't producing like it did in his rookie year as a head coach, it sure as hell did matter, as his defense was put in extremely compromised positions. Here were the Eagles' time of possession numbers from 2013 to 2015:

pre:
 Year	T.O.P. 	NFL Rank 
 2013	26:24 	32 
 2014	26:40 	32 
 2015	26:06 	32 
As you can see, Kelly's offenses ranked dead last in time of possession all three years of his tenure.

In 2016, Doug Pederson's Eagles led the NFL in time of possession, as they do through four games in 2017.

pre:
 Year	T.O.P. 	NFL Rank 
 2016	32:31 	1 
 2017	35:29 	1 
While the 2016 Eagles are not the best example of time of possession correlating to overall team success, note that the five teams ranked immediately behind them last season all made the playoffs. They were the Cowboys, Raiders, Texans, Packers, and Patriots.

In 2017, the Eagles have possessed the football for almost 12 minutes more per game than their opponent, on average. Yet, Pederson says that the design of the offense isn't to just milk the clock.

"It's not a point of emphasis," he said. "I think that we're also one of the top offenses in three-and-outs, not having three-and-outs. And then our third down conversion rate has been good, and we've been able to stay on the field. All of that is a part of the time of possession. And then, of course, the run game, being patient there. Yesterday was an example. We got a few more chunk play runs, but at the same time it all kind of factors into time of possession."

Pederson is right:

• Three-and-outs: On the season, the Eagles have gone three-and-out on just 6 out of 45 drives. That would be 13.3 percent. I can't find updated three and out stats for the 2017 season, but as a point of reference, the Atlanta Falcons led the NFL in lowest percentage of offensive three-and-outs last season, at 13.7 percent.

• Third-down conversions: The Eagles are second in the NFL in third-down conversion percentage, at 50.8 percent, behind only the Carolina Panthers. The Eagles are first in total third-down conversions, with 30. They have also converted three of four fourth-down attempts, which certainly has helped their time of possession numbers as well. It's perhaps also noteworthy, that the Eagles have 96 total first downs this season, which is second only to the Patriots, who have 99.

• Rushing attack: The Eagles are tied for third in the NFL with 143.0 rushing yards per game, and are tied for fourth with 4.7 yards per rush attempt.

At varying points this season, the Eagles have played without their starting stud DT (Fletcher Cox), their best linebacker (Jordan Hicks), their best cornerback (Ronald Darby), one of their starting safeties (Rodney McLeod), and some of the other depth pieces in the secondary and on the defensive line (Corey Graham, Jaylen Watkins, and Destiny Vaeao).

The Eagles' game-sealing, 13-play, 6:44-minute drive on Sunday against the Chargers bailed out an Eagles defense that was getting torched in the second half. At some point this season, Jim Schwartz's defense may have to carry Pederson's offense, but right now Pederson's offense is carrying Schwartz's defense.

No poo poo your defense does better when they don't have to defend anyone.

C*** K**** THE DEFILER PROVEN WRONG YET AGAIN!

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yes, Callahan is a former head coach

I'm surprised it has taken this long for teams to pay to assemble all-star coaching staffs. Coaching is one of the areas you can get real value by just outspending other teams because there's no salary cap being applied to coaching salaries.

We'll see. The team's biggest problem on defense is a lack of depth and talent in the secondary but David Irving is coming back and if Hitchens and Lee can both play at 85%+ there's a real chance the Cowboys can do more than make it a close game.

On the other hand, they could be without both guys, lose another defender early on and spend all day jumping offsides as Rodgers puts up a 350-yard, 4-TD day

I liked the 2006 Cowboys coaching staff. Todd Haley at WR, Parcells at Head.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/J_No24/status/916326366563495938

So he will miss the upcoming Eagles and Cowboys games. (and probably miss @Seattle too on Nov 5th?)

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, I’m sure Giants fans just disappeared now. But how long till McDouble gets fired? Whatever the coach is that looks like he just got done working the fries at your local McDonalds.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

89 posted:

So, I’m sure Giants fans just disappeared now. But how long till McDouble gets fired? Whatever the coach is that looks like he just got done working the fries at your local McDonalds.

The Giants should hire Chip Kelly. He's probably ready now that he's had a few trial jobs and it would inject new animosity into the rivalry.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Looking forward to the NFC East continuing to be a division in football this weekend.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I basically have 4 teams each week.

1. Eagles
2. Anybody facing the rest of the NFCE

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

89 posted:

I basically have 4 teams each week.

1. Eagles
2. Anybody facing the rest of the NFCE

What about when its NFCE v. NFCE? What then smart guy?

Personally I can't bring myself to root for the Cowboys even when a Giants or 'Skins loss would translate into better position for Philly.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

What about when its NFCE v. NFCE? What then smart guy?

Personally I can't bring myself to root for the Cowboys even when a Giants or 'Skins loss would translate into better position for Philly.

Team with the worse record. If they're tied then gently caress it who cares.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

the rankings of coolness

1. cowboys
2. eagles
3. giants
4. ????

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Carson Wentz has found his deep ball.

Good luck, rest of division.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

aBagorn posted:

And Nelson Agholar has found his hands/DJax impression.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

aBagorn posted:

lets wait until he is able to do this against more than one team

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

blue squares posted:

lets wait until he is able to do this against more than one team

Please see evidence from last week above. 2 weeks in a row he's been throwing really nicely downfield

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/barstooltweetss/status/917105648214728707

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Beckham clearly has some issues.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I showed that to my dad who's in "the field" and he said some Lithium might straighten him out a bit

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

ODB dead... Giants dead

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Well Odell is dead now so the Giants are really in the 0-16 hunt

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Eli kills receivers

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Why does ODB cry so much? Seems like he needs to see a therapist.

That ankle looked so hosed though

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Diqnol posted:

Why does ODB cry so much? Seems like he needs to see a therapist.

That ankle looked so hosed though

Crying is healthy and fun. You should try it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Eagles bitch.

Sympathies to our Giants posters though. :(

• Locked thread