Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

Honestly I sometimes find that the announcement notification goes away to quickly for me to react and click it.

So maybe split the difference and just loving leave it alone.

No, we should have to complete the old SA flash game "Dance Dance Karnov" on mobile if we want to make any announcements, frogs, or future penises go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

You can remove it yourself, by waiting 3 seconds. :science:

If you tap it and look at the announcement (or do it from the menu drawer) it won't even appear again! until the next unread one

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'd like an option that randomly changes the font sizes whenever I open the app for a more authentic Something Awful Forums experience, thank you

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Until we can implement that I suggest taping your phone to your face

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sweart gliwere posted:

No, we should have to complete the old SA flash game "Dance Dance Karnov" on mobile if we want to make any announcements, frogs, or future penises go away.

If you don't have at least one goldmined thread under your belt, the announcement bar pops up every 30 seconds even if there are no new announcements.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ArtIsResistance posted:

can you remove the announcement notification

Yeah seriously. Make this go away.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
It would be nice to have an option to hold down on one of the next page options to prompt a skip to a page number instead of tapping left or right over 200 times.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yobgoblin posted:

It would be nice to have an option to hold down on one of the next page options to prompt a skip to a page number instead of tapping left or right over 200 times.

Assuming this isn't a joke re: repeated announcement complaints (get rid of them, down with toasts!), tap the current page number to bring up a page select.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Yobgoblin posted:

Tap the Page ##/## to bring up the quicker pager skipper picker.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ArtIsResistance posted:

can you remove the announcement notification

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
the announcement notification is now my favourite thing

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
[quote="“Scudworth”" post="“476995474”"]
[/quote]

E: lol, drat I've been outed. Let's see if this works...

Scudworth posted:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's pretty awesome how the newest iOS decided to use smartquotes everywhere that people were explicitly using non-smartquotes, eh?

(Not a problem in awful.apk land!)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Would be nice to be able to upload pictures on wifi rather than just 4g.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I have no idea what that means.

Also what I'm hearing is that we should rework the announcement snackbar to use the system notifications instead. *bzzt bzzt*

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Honestly I sometimes find that the announcement notification goes away to quickly for me to react and click it.

This unironically happens to me every time. Maybe increase the snackbar time to five seconds.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
When did the term change from "toast" to "snackbar"?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

hooah posted:

Toasts aren't clickable, I think. Both popups, but different uses.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The way I understand toasts pop into frame, like... toast. Not sure if dismiss able is a requirement or not.

Snack bars are more static, not dismissable.

This is from 0 time spent reading standards btw.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You can still see the unread counts and read the announcements from the option in the side menu, in case anyone didn't know. The snackbar popup time is pretty short to avoid annoying people, but looks like that didn't work did it???

hooah posted:

Toasts just pop up for a bit in the middle of the screen and disappear, you can't do anything with them. They're meant to be a 'hey guess what!' kind of thing
Snackbars are the little rectangular blocks that pop up at the bottom, you can swipe them away and they sometimes have an action you can click on. Dunno why they're called that, toast makes sense at least

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

LastInLine posted:

This unironically happens to me every time. Maybe increase the snackbar time to five seconds.

Make them persistent until the user clicks on them, with a checkbox to acknowledge reading the announcement.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Peachfart posted:

Make them persistent until the user clicks on them, with a checkbox to acknowledge reading the announcement.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a multiple choice question or two to be sure the user understood the announcement, too.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Have an initial announcement popup first, announcing the announcement.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm slow to react on the pop up so I'd need an announcement announcing the announcement announcing the announcement.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Please add the option to hide the announcement notification.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

James Baud posted:

It's pretty awesome how the newest iOS decided to use smartquotes everywhere that people were explicitly using non-smartquotes, eh?

(Not a problem in awful.apk land!)

Yeah was wondering about that, figured it must have been an app thing, but fortunately not this app.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Please hide the option to add the announcement notification.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Please force the app to open to the announcement and then require a checkmark confirmation with captcha dialogue box to close it

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

site posted:

Please force the app to open to the announcement and then require a checkmark confirmation with captcha dialogue box to close it

And after closing it'll log you out

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

site posted:

Also, if they dismiss it in under three minutes (careless readers) it rates the announcement [1/5] to earn a punishment.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Please add ability to block posts about announcements

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Add announcement notifications to all PM and "forums updated" ones, just stack the pop-ups until the screen is a snack and toast buffet.

Each note stack should be independently manually dismissed, for thoroughness.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Please make the announcement indicator appear at random time increments like an annoy-a-tron.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Am I in the minority in thinking that this thread is for feedback and not for making fun of user requests? poo poo's tired as gently caress, guys.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mogomra posted:

Am I in the minority in thinking that this thread is for feedback and not for making fun of user requests? poo poo's tired as gently caress, guys.

I mean, this is how it's been since I popped in to make a request. When there is a new request it won't get buried - it'll apparently just get mocked for a page or two.

Not that it's my call but I don't see what the big deal is.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

All my requests get implemented because I'm a Premium Plus User.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
All my implements get requested

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The Bloop posted:

I mean, this is how it's been since I popped in to make a request. When there is a new request it won't get buried - it'll apparently just get mocked for a page or two.

Not that it's my call but I don't see what the big deal is.

For what it's worth I take all requests very seriously! But it doesn't mean they'll necessarily be added, especially when there's a reason things are the way they are

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

baka kaba posted:

For what it's worth I take all requests very seriously! But it doesn't mean they'll necessarily be added, especially when there's a reason things are the way they are

Ah, I never meant you were mocking them; my apologies for ambiguous posting.

Other posters will mock them, in a mostly good-natured way, with subjectively humorous results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Bloop posted:

All my implements get requested

That reminds me, can I borrow your crab mallet?