Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nalin posted:

I tell my assistant to call my mother by name and it chooses to instead call somebody's personal business in my town who shares the same name with her. It will literally prioritize some sort of google / maps search instead of my contact list at times.

I have lots of problems with Assistant, but this is not one I have and 90 percent of my calls are done this way.

Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Nalin posted:

I tell my assistant to call my mother by name and it chooses to instead call somebody's personal business in my town who shares the same name with her. It will literally prioritize some sort of google / maps search instead of my contact list at times.

What, I literally have never had this problem whether it's calling someone by name or just saying "Ok google, call mom"

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Assistant won't properly set reminders or timers for me anymore. Sometimes it will, other times it seems about to then it just enters all of the text I said into a google search. Set a timer for 10 minutes, ok starting...then it googles "set a timer for 10 minutes". If I try to re-trigger via OK google or the button it just sits there until I force close it. Same thing with reminders. This all started a few weeks ago and I can't seem to pin it down. Anyone run into this?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Gunslinger posted:

Assistant won't properly set reminders or timers for me anymore. Sometimes it will, other times it seems about to then it just enters all of the text I said into a google search. Set a timer for 10 minutes, ok starting...then it googles "set a timer for 10 minutes". If I try to re-trigger via OK google or the button it just sits there until I force close it. Same thing with reminders. This all started a few weeks ago and I can't seem to pin it down. Anyone run into this?

You're just currently being Google'd. If it lasts more than 3 days, call a physician.

EDIT: You'll have to dial his number like a caveman, of course

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 2, 2017

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Much like every other phone it basically looks like every other phone.

I remember all the reviews for the Pixel were like "they just copied the iPhone!" and I'm like, it's a black rectangle, dudes, what do you want?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I've only tried to make a call by voice twice. First time worked great, second time called my aunt instead of my wife.

Why bother? I can just tap a few times and never have it mess up.

Of course there's the driving argument, but I've never absolutely needed to place a call while driving.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mogomra posted:

second time called my aunt instead of my wife.

:gizz:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

lol

But for real, they don't have the same last name, and their first names only start with the same letter. I would only ever say, "Ok, Google. Call <First> <Last> at <Home/Mobile/Work>"

It must have just sucked really bad at doing that at the time, because I haven't tried again in what feels like years.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Incessant Excess posted:

You want your almost 900 dollar phone to be well protected.

Naked 4 lyfe.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
"Ok Google, send Hangouts message to <wife's name>"
"Which one?, the one you talk to literally every day, or this other person who was once on the same email thread as you and you've never interacted with, and doesn't even have the same name?"
"gently caress you google. Send hangouts message to my wife".
"I have no idea who that is, despite the fact that she's set as Relationship: Spouse in your contacts".
"gently caress you google, you're useless."
"I'm sorry you feel that way, I can do a lot."

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
More Pixel 2 leaks:

https://venturebeat.com/2017/10/02/these-are-the-google-pixel-2-and-pixel-2-xl/

quote:

And according to a person familiar with Google’s release plans, they’ll see a staggered rollout: October 19 for Pixel 2 and November 15 for Pixel 2 XL, both preceded by preorder periods.

Pixel 2:

Pixel 2 XL:

Solvency fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 2, 2017

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I'm kinda liking the panda one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Solvency posted:

And according to a person familiar with Google’s release plans, they’ll see a staggered rollout: October 19 for Pixel 2 and November 15 for Pixel 2 XL, both preceded by preorder periods.

Oh man, I hope this isn't true. I don't want to wait until Nov 15th for a new phone. :(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
T he panda XL is awesome

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Yeah November is a good ways off

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Internet Explorer posted:

Oh man, I hope this isn't true. I don't want to wait until Nov 15th for a new phone. :(

:same:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The Pixel 2 XL doesn't quite look like the LG V30. It actually has more bezel. Also, I like the panda one.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Panda phone giving me some Aperture Science aesthetic vibes

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Also of note, the V30 doesn't have Stereo speakers in the front so the bezels could be smaller from that alone.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I like the orange power button.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

5TonsOfFlax posted:

"Ok Google, send Hangouts message to <wife's name>"
"Which one?, the one you talk to literally every day, or this other person who was once on the same email thread as you and you've never interacted with, and doesn't even have the same name?"
"gently caress you google. Send hangouts message to my wife".
"I have no idea who that is, despite the fact that she's set as Relationship: Spouse in your contacts".
"gently caress you google, you're useless."
"I'm sorry you feel that way, I can do a lot."

Related, how do you clear out or hide contacts in the share menu? Google keeps suggesting people I've emailed once or twice months ago on my work account in Outlook, doesn't suggest sharing to the people I message every day. I don't want to share with anyone in my Outlook contacts ever.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Don't care, so long there's an actual pre-order period. Order and forget.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Looks like they really... phoned in the Pixel 2 design.

:dance:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Don't care, so long there's an actual pre-order period. Order and forget.

If the past Nexus launches have shown us anything...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

On one hand, that panda 2 XL.

On the other, smaller and distinctively childlike hand, that kinda blue pixel arriving a month earlier.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

If the past Nexus launches have shown us anything...
The rumors mention pre-order plans. Of course, these idiots are either going to have restricted numbers of pre-orders, or huge inventory issues during the execution of them. Can't wait for that fail party.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Looks like they really... phoned in the Pixel 2 design.

:dance:

It's a black rectangle, dude, what do you want?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I guess I'll be the guy who gets that blue Pixel 2.

I kinda like it.

According to most of the internet, I am the only one. But that's ok. :v:

I'm just tired of constantly having a black phone.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
They all have the same color after you put them in a case.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Baby Pixel ftw, I'm ordering a really black one for sure. But you should all wait for the XL, it'll probably be better :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I like the zebra one a lot and for the first time am considering a non-black phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm going to be really pissed at that staggered release if true.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I'm going to be really pissed at that staggered release if true.

Don't be angry about consumer electronics please.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

Don't be angry about consumer electronics please.

He might have to wait a whole extra month to get a new phone to replace his year old one though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eh, I just got a lot of events away from home in late October and it would have been nice having the latest and greatest camera.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Is the pixel 1 staying around and get cheaper? That's just about the only Android I'd consider getting a year old.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Twerk from Home posted:

Is the pixel 1 staying around and get cheaper? That's just about the only Android I'd consider getting a year old.

They had a ton of sales/promos back in August. I missed getting $100 or so off my XL by like 4 days but I did get a free Google Home.

Speaking of cases, do they make like good reliable cases ala spigen/caseology that are a color that isn't black, stupid blue name or silver? I want some color in my phone

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You should buy a panda xl and a clear case.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Don Lapre posted:

You should buy a panda xl and a clear case.

This is my plan. Amazon has a number of cases with a clear case back and various colors of TPU bumpers. Works well on my 6p at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Pixel 2 XL seems more based upon the G6 than the V30. Also, the screen to body ratio for the Pixel 2 is actually worse than it's predecessors. :cripes: