Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

yeah I admire the stamina of some guys in the pit who seem like they're in it the entire night.. I go in for like a minute at a time a handful of times because it's tiring and I'm not a huge dude. I just remember to keep my feet moving or else I'm gonna die like my friend who broke his ankle during Municipal Waste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
My favorite pit memory was from a Behemoth show in 2008 where a guy came wandering in with two plastic cups full of beer as they started playing and within 5 seconds both cups were completely and utterly destroyed by flying bodies.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
saw slayer/megadeth/testament in a big rear end field in 2010. found a killer spot in the middle of the crowd to watch slayer. within seconds, the spot i was in turned into a giant pit. i had enough time to notice that no one was around me.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Varg posted:

yeah I admire the stamina of some guys in the pit who seem like they're in it the entire night.. I go in for like a minute at a time a handful of times because it's tiring and I'm not a huge dude. I just remember to keep my feet moving or else I'm gonna die like my friend who broke his ankle during Municipal Waste

poo poo, last time I saw Waste I wound with a concussion from a stage diver's shoulder plowing into my head. Got my bell rung pretty good that time. And the last time I saw Iron Reagan another human projectile managed to hyper extend my knee.

I love those guys and will pretty much make any live shows, but I never fare that well.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I'm a fan of the giant black dude who is at every single show who moshes the entire night and gets high-fives from even the neo-nazis.

I stood next to him at the same Exodus show with Suicidal Tendencies and Slayer. Guy was probably 7 feet tall and wearing a trenchcoat and fingerless gloves, and he was smiling and talking to everyone nearby in-between sets. :kimchi:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I'm a fan of the giant black dude who is at every single show who moshes the entire night and gets high-fives from even the neo-nazis.

Whoa whoa those were *not* high-fives.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vargatron posted:

I'm in the balcony recording John Petrucci's hands with an LG slider phone.

Oh wait I forgot this isn't 2005.

New thread title, please.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Klaaz posted:

I am that old grumpy dude wondering if he's the only one struggling with pain in the back and legs after like three songs.

I"m that guy too. The DMDS show was a nightmare because the album is only 45 minutes but they added another 45 minutes of ambient poo poo between songs and I was dying.

All you youngins in the thread don't be like Oldstench and make sure you lift a weight from time to time.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DEAR RICHARD posted:

saw slayer/megadeth/testament in a big rear end field in 2010. found a killer spot in the middle of the crowd to watch slayer. within seconds, the spot i was in turned into a giant pit. i had enough time to notice that no one was around me.

Donnington 1994 (Christ! What a poo poo set of bands, though Devin Townsend was second guitar with The Wildhearts) and just before Biozard's set I thought I'd move into the centre of the crowd to get a good photo of the band. Music starts and immediately everyone crushes together and I have one arm stuck in the air and my feet were off the ground. Then I got kicked in the face by a crowd surfer. I had to literally force my way out of the hoard of jumping people.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I've never had issues in a pit, just some random elbows and chipped teeth, but I've had them being in the front. People will start pushing from side to side, then a bunch of people fall over and you have to try to not get crushed or just not being able to move at all because there are so many people pushing forward trying to get closer.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've never understood the appeal of moshing. Even when I'm seeing aggressive music I just want to stand and enjoy it. It has yet to send me into a frenzied state wherein I feel the need to aggressively slam my body into strangers. But hey to each his own :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It is pretty fun to jump around in a group along with the beat because it's not like anyone who listens to metal is capable of actual dancing, but somewhere along the line it turned into consensual beatings which I really have never understood.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Whenever I'm at concerts I end up at the side of the stage, so instead of near the mosh I'm near people about 20 years my senior who are talking about concerts they saw when I was a baby, which is still pretty neat.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

We Know Catheters posted:

I've never had issues in a pit, just some random elbows and chipped teeth, but I've had them being in the front. People will start pushing from side to side, then a bunch of people fall over and you have to try to not get crushed or just not being able to move at all because there are so many people pushing forward trying to get closer.

Chipped teeth are actually a bit of a problem.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

When did Amorphis get so loving good again?!

edit: Holy poo poo their Bodom cover is GOOD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvWLa_pi7VM

tote up a bags fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 29, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Another new Vassafor track: https://vassafor.bandcamp.com/track/illumination-of-the-sinister

The cover art for the new album is sick:

It's the same artist who did Akhlys' The Dreaming, and Irkallian Oracle's Apollyon

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

murked by dragon posted:

the new mastodon EP is actually good

Gonna see Mastodon sunday nite, the way its written theyre the final headline of the fest http://www.wjjo.com/sonicboom/ deffo more rock than metal but at least a few of the bands hit both
I love that you can tell this is Wisconsin just by the tagline - Beer Brats Cheese Curds Music!
Got tix for both days but nobody on Saturday has me super jazzed so I might just skip

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

tote up a bags posted:

edit: Holy poo poo their Bodom cover is GOOD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvWLa_pi7VM
They've constantly been at least decent for me :shrug:

This cover is loving great though, easily better than the original. Not having to listen to Laiho's abrasive screeching is a plus. I never liked his vocal style.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nordick posted:

This cover is loving great though, easily better than the original. Not having to listen to Laiho's abrasive screeching is a plus. I never liked his vocal style.

their original songs do nothing for me, but children of bodom is one of the best cover bands around in large part because of the vocals

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

their original songs do nothing for me, but children of bodom is one of the best cover bands around in large part because of the vocals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P--E3Dta4q4

:agreed:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Bodom drum triggers in their Oops I Did It Again cover slay me every time.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
that Amorphis cover was good but eh I still prefer the original, I like Laiho a lot

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

tote up a bags posted:

I mean, I guess this is a pretty good cover if you really don't like Children of Bodom

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiFyi5-fe60

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

Another new Vassafor track: https://vassafor.bandcamp.com/track/illumination-of-the-sinister

It's the same artist who did Akhlys' The Dreaming, and Irkallian Oracle's Apollyon

I hope they play some shows for this, saw them back in 2014 and it was sick.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Spatulater bro! posted:

I think this is the same guy who did Bestia Arcana's latest album, "Holokauston", which totally rips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv2XAeoFVxE

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 30, 2017

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Nordick posted:

They've constantly been at least decent for me :shrug:

Amorphis always were cool but I feel like after Skyforger (which was great) they sort of covered their own album twice. Circle in particular was really unmemorable. Which is why Red Cloud was such a treat.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I think this is the same guy who did Bestia Arcana's latest album, "Holokauston", which totally rips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv2XAeoFVxE

This does indeed rip. I'm happy to see this style of metal becoming more prevalent.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Vulture Culture posted:

I mean, I guess this is a pretty good cover if you really don't like Children of Bodom

I like new Amorphis now more than I like Children of Bodom now, but that is really not a good cover. I'm very familiar with the song, and the low growls just absolutely do NOT fit that song at all.

It kind of feels like while the song is played technically very well, it's like a half-step too slow ( maybe this is due to the vocals IDK ). 2/10 would not listen to this cover again, but probably will not listen to the original anytime soon either.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

If I was a big time nazi guy with a liking for puns I would start a cover band called 'children of pogrom'

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

2nd Annual Metal & Beer Fest announced
last year was pretty cool and had some good beer, this year looks pretty cool too

Saturday, March 31, 2018
At the Gates, Monster Magnet, Pallbearer, Integrity, Evoken, Full of Hell, Spirit Adrift

Sunday, April 1, 2018
Carcass, Mayhem, Repulsion, Dream Death, Sumerlands, Spectral Voice, All Hell

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

!!!Spectral Voice debut stream!!!

I haven't listened to the full album yet, but I listened to the 2 songs they already posted like twenty times. 3 of the 4 band members are from Blood Incantation, if u need a reason to listen.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

david crosby posted:

!!!Spectral Voice debut stream!!!

I haven't listened to the full album yet, but I listened to the 2 songs they already posted like twenty times. 3 of the 4 band members are from Blood Incantation, if u need a reason to listen.

This crushes hard.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Varg posted:

last year was pretty cool and had some good beer, this year looks pretty cool too

Saturday, March 31, 2018
At the Gates, Monster Magnet, Pallbearer, Integrity, Evoken, Full of Hell, Spirit Adrift

Sunday, April 1, 2018
Carcass, Mayhem, Repulsion, Dream Death, Sumerlands, Spectral Voice, All Hell
Oh, gently caress yeah, Jester King is gonna be there. It's been a few years since I've gotten to enjoy their Black Metal Imperial Stout

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Varg posted:

burial makes pretty good stuff, even if all their can art looks like rejected baroness album covers

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Some real good speed metal this year

Vulture - The Guillotine
Evil Invaders - Feed Me Violence
Tyranex - Death Roll

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The only actual injury I ever sustained moshing was tearing my tricep seeing Napalm Death in a boat (its a club in Bristol); i reached down to help someone up who had fallen in the pit, and decided the underside of my arm was a much better point to haul themselves up by than my outstretched hand

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I once saved my life in a pretty rowdy pit by grabbing someones long hair to stay on my feet, wanted to apologize to the dude as he seemed to be in pain but never found him back

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

The only actual injury I ever sustained moshing was tearing my tricep seeing Napalm Death in a boat (its a club in Bristol); i reached down to help someone up who had fallen in the pit, and decided the underside of my arm was a much better point to haul themselves up by than my outstretched hand
I sprained my ankle in a Dismember pit in the first 30 seconds of their set. I hobbled back to the bar for a Jack Daniels and was standing there when I noticed some guy staring really intensely from across the bar. Without ever having seen a picture of him or really knowing who he was, my instinctive thought was "oh, that's Will Rahmer, obviously"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MikeCrotch posted:

The only actual injury I ever sustained moshing was tearing my tricep seeing Napalm Death in a boat (its a club in Bristol);

Ah, The Thekla! So many good shows booked there that I never made it down for :( road trips to Bristol we're always fun, or resulted in getting completely blotto, or both.