Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Oh there's more Mentzer drama:

http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2017/09/tsr-luminary-frank-mentzer-booted-from.html

That last screenshot, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Oh God I winced hard at "Guess you folks aren't used to Pro ops". Like... I don't know Mentzer or EOTB or whoever the gently caress, but I know that this KS is anything but pro.

On the other hand, it's clocked $47K so far! So it might go the distance yet.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Further confirmation that RPGs are in fact the worst

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Megazver posted:

http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2017/09/tsr-luminary-frank-mentzer-booted-from.html

The comments on this article lead me to believe that the forum in question is entirely in the right.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I want to believe on this crazy Mentzer thing not unlike how there was hope for The Dragon Kings Project attaining transmedia glory by Brown---but between the highly ambitious ask while suffering from even worse fundamental failings on outright ambition than the latter for it despite having heaps more bigger names attached....it'd take some kind of crazy something for this to not only go the distance, but actually release proper and have a future.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

TTerrible posted:

The comments on this article lead me to believe that the forum in question is entirely in the right.
It's really a case of awful people fighting awful people.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

John Wick just launched the Khitai kickstarter for 7th Sea. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnwickpresents/7th-sea-khitai

L5R 2.0 I guess?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

John Wick just launched the Khitai kickstarter for 7th Sea. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnwickpresents/7th-sea-khitai

L5R 2.0 I guess?

John Wick is responsible for some of the worst parts of L5R soooo I'm not too excited. On the other hand there is a samurai riding a bear and I can't lie thats a pretty sweet image. And if he can restrain himself and/or has learned something since the 90s that might make things better.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lightning Lord posted:

L5R 2.0 I guess?
I really, really wish I didn't hate the 7th Sea 2e rules system.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So this is technically a video game, but very TG. A Doomtroopers Digital CCG.

I don't necessarily have high hopes for this at all, but I'll probably chuck some money at it for nostalgia's sake. Also I play way too many lovely digital ccgs.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

dwarf74 posted:

What's so bad about it?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lightning Lord posted:

L5R 2.0 I guess?

I do like the idea of using this for a Samurais & Swashbucklers but every mention of how honorable and mystical they are makes me cringe more than a little.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

L5R 2.0 I guess?

I don't know, as long as they're still carrying on with their policy of employing writers from those cultural back...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I loved 7th Sea, but there's a reason I didn't back 2e.

I mean, it wasn't cultural insensitivity, it was 'I don't want to support John Wick', but still.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LeSquide posted:

What's so bad about it?
Oh man, I wish I could put my finger on it. It's just in a weird squishy spot between rules-light and rules-heavy, only the rules don't really always work.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Bieeardo posted:

"I will write you into the story..."

This is some Egg of Coot level embarrassing.

Oh then you will love this:

Check the last screenshot.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

7th Sea 2e turned out far better than I expected, so I'm less skeptical of Khitai than I otherwise would be.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

A friend from college has started a kickstarter for his new board game End of the Trail.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brentdickman/end-of-the-trail-find-fortune-in-the-california-go/description

You play as prospectors looking for gold claims. In addition to looking for those claims, you are building poker hands to get bonus money, or an additional claim.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

dwarf74 posted:

How do you feel about FFG's Rpg mechanics? They put up open beta sign ups for the L5R rpg reboot.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/26/legend-of-the-five-rings-rpg-beta/

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
So one of the people working on Khitai is at the Dungeon Elementary guy, who, if nothing else, at least lives and works in Korea, IIRC.

http://dungeon-elementary.tumblr.com/ posted:

Dungeon Elementary has started a new season for the fall. We’re playing Blades in the Dark, and yes I’m actually going to post this year. The kids are losing patience with the dearth of Internet ridicule they have received. But if you’re wondering why I’ve been distracted, here’s your answer.

I’m one of the lead developers for Khitai, 7th Sea’s Asian/Pacific setting. In addition to paying for my continued survival, Khitai takes Asian, Oceanian, and Pacific Islander representation to new places. It’s got samurai and horse-lords and Buddhist monks, yeah, but you can also play as in-setting equivalents of Moro pirates in the Sultanate of Sulu, revolting slaves in Joseon Korea, and god-kings mounted on three-headed elephants in the former Khmer Empire, to name but a few. Some of the times and places we spotlight have never appeared in tabletop gaming before. Others are more familiar, but have never had an Asian developing them at this scale before. So identity-wise, this game means a great deal to me. It’s the game I wish I’d found as a lonely Pinoy middle schooler rooting around in the bookstore’s RPG section.

I’m really excited about this project, and the level of creative control John Wick has granted me here. I’m more than happy to answer questions about the game, although I caution anyone asking that my answers are on the “musings at the bar” level and are not to be taken as binding. If it’s financially viable for you to do so, backing this project would mean a lot to me—and even if not, I’d be grateful for your support and interest. Also, please re-share this post if you can! Maybe it’ll mean something to someone you know, the way it means something to me.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

James Mendez Hodes is Good People.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

That Old Tree posted:

7th Sea 2e turned out far better than I expected, so I'm less skeptical of Khitai than I otherwise would be.

Yea I'm hype for it. 2e was a big hit for my group and this will be too.

I'd be worried about a team of sentient mayonnaise writing this if this wasn't clearly a love letter to wuxia over the top heroics instead of L5R's very unfortunate "HONORABLE AND ACCURATE SAMURAI LIFE". This seems to have the same feel of 7th sea, you're big drat heroes running around doing cool hero poo poo and your enemies are cackling monsters.

Also, and I never, ever, thought I'd say this...I'm happy to support Wick making games these days. His 7th Sea kickstarter went incredibly well and this one already has the very cool stretch goal of 'we'll just give the barebones rules free if you wanna try it' and all. Plus it's pretty bonkers that at 45 dollars you get all the 7th sea new books (including the 2 yet to be written ones) AND all the Khitai ones in pdfs, that's a good rear end deal.

Wick used to suck real bad, and it's totally fair if there's still bad feelings there, but I've come around on the guy a lot and he's seemed to understand the old flaws in his game design.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

dwarf74 posted:

Oh man, I wish I could put my finger on it. It's just in a weird squishy spot between rules-light and rules-heavy, only the rules don't really always work.

I've only played 7th Sea 2nd Ed a little bit so far, but the guy running it doesn't really use the rules anyways so I'm not sure what to think.

Reading the books it seems to be OK'ish as long as the GM is willing to prep suitable dramatic scenes, but if the GM is lazy or if you are just trying to figure out what to do for skill checks that don't necessarily need a whole scene the rules get sort of squishy. I sort of feel like the book should have more guidance on scene construction, as in recommending how many consequences to add based on "difficulty" or whatever.

It also seems like the game has balance issues in combat, particularly between duelists and non-duelists who should otherwise be decent fighters.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If Wick's really turned around, I might have to look into it. As long as it doesn't poo poo on first ed's versions needlessly, because I have an irrational soft spot for them.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like 7th Sea 2nd despite its flaws and Khitai looks good but weren't they leaning pretty hard on the diversity angle at the Ennies? I'm not too worried about it either, I'll probably back it too, but it seems like a reversal of what they had been talking about since the second edition Kickstarter in terms of diversity.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Only 34 weeks until the Christian board game hits Kickstarter

http://deliverancethegame.com

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

alg posted:

Only 34 weeks until the Christian board game hits Kickstarter

http://deliverancethegame.com

that's an

unfortunate

name for it

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Orvin posted:

A friend from college has started a kickstarter for his new board game End of the Trail.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brentdickman/end-of-the-trail-find-fortune-in-the-california-go/description

You play as prospectors looking for gold claims. In addition to looking for those claims, you are building poker hands to get bonus money, or an additional claim.

I blew this off until I saw Radho's runthrough. It actually looks like a clever and fun card game. $29 shipping included is fair value too. Thanks.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

that's an

unfortunate

name for it

*sound of banjos in the distance*

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"The Bible is full of epic descriptions of angels, demons, and the spiritual realm that still leaves so much to the imagination. Without getting into the specifics about what passages I am building upon (hint: all of them), there is a lot of room for creative interpretation here.

My first rule is that the game can’t compromise my faith as a Christian.

My second rule is that the game needs to be awesome, and every character needs to feel ultra powerful.

If it boiled down to “Bible Trivia: Angels and Demons Edition” then it would be a bad idea that should go nowhere.

But as things stand, the theme mixes perfectly with the mechanics, and the characters that I have developed and tested feel ridiculously awesome so far."

There is no actual description of what the point of the game is or how it is played or anything. So...kinda par for the course for any media that advertises itself as The Moral Alternative.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Mors Rattus posted:

If Wick's really turned around, I might have to look into it. As long as it doesn't poo poo on first ed's versions needlessly, because I have an irrational soft spot for them.

Probably not the thread for this to get into discussion but what I heard was that the Vesten/Vendel thing got kind of the shaft if you were a fan of the Vesten...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wick seems to be real professional with his 7th Sea work, regardless of your feelings about his mindset from things like Play Dirty

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I actually like an antagonistic gm style a lot so I am soft on those aspects of Wickism, personally. The problem for me is that that is a style that absolutely requires all players be on the same page and that is understandably less common these days.

It is for the best that my preferences have been left on the wayside, but sucks for me, lol.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

neongrey posted:

I actually like an antagonistic gm style a lot so I am soft on those aspects of Wickism, personally. The problem for me is that that is a style that absolutely requires all players be on the same page and that is understandably less common these days.

It is for the best that my preferences have been left on the wayside, but sucks for me, lol.

I feel like there's a pretty big difference between just general "antagonistic GMing" and John Wick's personal blend though. A lot of his signature stories aren't really all that clever or interesting, they're just dumb. Oh, your character is immune to disease, well now you're infected with a SUPER ULTRA MEGA DISEASE lol. Oh your character has a family member she cares about, I'll just go out of my way to ruin that little detail, man I wonder why so many players make orphan loner characters with no friends, someone help me figure this out.

Like, it's totally fine and good to give players a personal investment in a game by tugging on plot hooks they've provided for you or imperiling things they have a stake in, but Wick's just fuckin bad at it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So this is technically a video game, but very TG. A Doomtroopers Digital CCG.

My memory could be wrong because it's been a very long time, but I seem to recall this being a very collect-to-win sort of game, with whoever had gotten the power units just dominating the game. It might be better if you had a full set? But I recall it being a game where the first "C" in CCG was a real downer when playing the game.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wick seems to be real professional with his 7th Sea work, regardless of your feelings about his mindset from things like Play Dirty

Yeah. Wick has definitely held to his word. There are some Wickisms in 7th Sea (Vodacce, Inismore, some of the GM advice, the whole Corruption mechanic), but it's generally Wick on good behavior.

neongrey posted:

Honestly I think the main issue with the Play Dirty style that I saw wasn't that it was mean or capricious, or at least if it is, it's not important to my point. My point is that so much of it ends up being about putting the GM's desires over that of the players. A "GM knows best" sort of attitude. And yes, sometimes you do something that'll annoy a player in the short term in hoping to deliver greater enjoyment in the long term. But so much of Play Dirty just seems to be about running the game he wants to run under the guise of subverting expectations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Honestly I think the main issue with the Play Dirty style that I saw wasn't that it was mean or capricious, or at least if it is, it's not important to my point. My point is that so much of it ends up being about putting the GM's desires over that of the players. A "GM knows best" sort of attitude. And yes, sometimes you do something that'll annoy a player in the short term in hoping to deliver greater enjoyment in the long term. But so much of Play Dirty just seems to be about running the game he wants to run under the guise of subverting expectations.

Michael Scott in the Office doing improv, pulling out an invisible gun and shooting everybody else, then acting confused why everyone is upset that he won.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kai Tave posted:

Michael Scott in the Office doing improv, pulling out an invisible gun and shooting everybody else, then acting confused why everyone is upset that he won.

Yea it was that and the Community "I WON DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS" joke. I'm fine with 'the GM isn't your buddy their job is to make challenges because challenge is what creates good stories' but to turn it to 'and actually this means the GM is the best part of the group and should be given the proper respect for so clearly winning the game' is what made that stuff so lame. GMs trolling players is fun, it leads to either hilarious situations or interesting plot twists or both. Turning it into an outright competition where one player is literally in charge of the world and the others aren't is just dull.

Having your players in a super hero game get ambushed by a pack of raptors when they're in the jungle and not expecting it is fun, having a t-rex eat them in their sleep isn't. A lot of Wick's old style was more 'a t-rex ate you because you never said you were setting out anti-t-rex traps before going to bed' and less 'hey you know what'd be fun...'

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Megazver posted:

best sig ever:
"My friend Gary changed the world. Remember him. Honor him."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cinnamon Bear posted:

John Wick is responsible for some of the worst parts of L5R soooo I'm not too excited. On the other hand there is a samurai riding a bear and I can't lie thats a pretty sweet image. And if he can restrain himself and/or has learned something since the 90s that might make things better.

I honestly enjoy his settings but will never back anything again after just how wretchedly unfinished the 7th Sea 2 mechanics are. It's been out for what, a year now and I don't think they've ever addressed the duelist/non-duelist issues, or the fact that the duelist rules in general just don't work.

That's a pretty big problem when Swordsmen are a major selling point of your game.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Edit: Double post

Edit 2: I hosed up bad

Lord_Hambrose fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 4, 2017