Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Job retraining would've been good 20 years ago to prevent today, and likely will be helpful to try and moderate whatever shitstorm lies just over the horizon.

What we need is a modern day labor rights movement before automation gets too big but yeah fuckin right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Two Finger posted:

Ethically frame my dick from the back

Hey maybe we shouldn't keep pushing to turn this thread into a loving echo chamber?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That's "things used to matter.png" right there

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What we need is a modern day labor rights movement before automation gets too big but yeah fuckin right

With any luck the robots strike first and strike hard

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Pesticide20 posted:

Maybe some sort of combination where people received educations and training as well as affordable housing, healthcare, and food.

But I'm a deontologist so I just think differently than all of you

I will never not find that funny.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
http://amp.fox25boston.com/news/only-on-boston-25-exclusive-photos-of-las-vegas-shooters-weapon/618716556

A news station in Boston got some pics of the shooters gear. He was probably using Surefire MAG5 extended mags, not drum mags.

http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/high-capacity-magazines.html

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[quote="“Kawasaki Nun”" post="“477013249”"]
Job retraining would’ve been good 20 years ago to prevent today, and likely will be helpful to try and moderate whatever shitstorm lies just over the horizon.

[/quote]

Do you mean in terms of refocusing employees into new jobs or blocking automation?

[quote="“Gobbeldygook”" post="“477013448”"]
http://amp.fox25boston.com/news/only-on-boston-25-exclusive-photos-of-las-vegas-shooters-weapon/618716556

A news station in Boston got some pics of the shooters gear. He was probably using Surefire MAG5 extended mags, not drum mags.

http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/high-capacity-magazines.html
[/quote]

I can remember are surefire supposed to be the only good ones or are they just slightly better then random stuff from Korea or Eastern Europe.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Job retraining would've been good 20 years ago to prevent today, and likely will be helpful to try and moderate whatever shitstorm lies just over the horizon.

Automation is the only reason American manufacturing is still competitive. If you try to implement a bunch of regulations to stop it, you'll just end up driving companies to offshore it.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

We had this exact problem in the UK before you did in the US, when our mining and heavy industry shut down from about 1970 -> 1980 (roughly). Any of our governments could have pushed some money to those communities for retraining, or better to get some tax breaks in (or whatever is similar) to get some new industry going. We didn't. We still aren't. Those places are still totally hosed up and on life support.

Guess which bits of the UK voted for Brexit!

Yep, different country, exactly the same poo poo you're going though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Surefire lights are the tits. Dunno about their other stuff.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Proud Christian Mom posted:

With any luck the robots strike first and strike hard

I have no job and I must MAGA, a story by Harlan Elison the second.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

has anyone said "peeontologist" yet

It is pronounced "day-ontology", so the better joke is saying "gayontologist".

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

We had this exact problem in the UK before you did in the US, when our mining and heavy industry shut down from about 1970 -> 1980 (roughly). Any of our governments could have pushed some money to those communities for retraining, or better to get some tax breaks in (or whatever is similar) to get some new industry going. We didn't. We still aren't. Those places are still totally hosed up and on life support.

Guess which bits of the UK voted for Brexit!

Yep, different country, exactly the same poo poo you're going though.

The US is the second biggest exporter of manufactured goods in the world. The manufacturing industry isn't dead here, they just replaced people with machines. For example, I just got done working at a mine that was almost completely autonomous. They had a few operators and maintenance personnel on each shift to oversee everything and that was it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[quote="“Godholio”" post="“477013610”"]
[/quote]

Yeah, I just never recall any really super mag being really reliable past 40 rounds or so, even from Surefire which is a reliable company by and large.

[quote="“psydude”" post="“477013562”"]
Automation is the only reason American manufacturing is still competitive. If you try to implement a bunch of regulations to stop it, you’ll just end up driving companies to offshore it.
[/quote]

This is extremely true.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Godholio posted:

The one I had died within a week. Switched to Streamlight and never l looked back.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

psydude posted:

The US is the second biggest exporter of manufactured goods in the world. The manufacturing industry isn't dead here, they just replaced people with machines. For example, I just got done working at a mine that was almost completely autonomous. They had a few operators and maintenance personnel on each shift to oversee everything and that was it.

It ends up as the same problem, you don't need 5000 dudes turning up to a plant every morning anymore. I can't raise my hand and say I'm not guilty in this, I must have written software that's automated the crap out of thousands of people's previous work. I think my point is that we're dealing with that step change really badly.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hexyflexy posted:

It ends up as the same problem, you don't need 5000 dudes turning up to a plant every morning anymore. I can't raise my hand and say I'm not guilty in this, I must have written software that's automated the crap out of thousands of people's previous work. I think my point is that we're dealing with that step change really badly.

It's kind of repeating history, but at a far more massive level and the fed just aren't picking up the ball

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hexyflexy posted:

Depends on who the 'we' in this situation is. Pretty sure the 1% are absolutely loving how things are being dealt with. Working out pretty drat good for them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

CommieGIR posted:

Lol. What ethical framework. Arguing that laws won't solve anything because criminals are devoid of laws isnt a logical argument. Its a poor mans attempt to end run around a point you disagree with by nullifying it.

That's not giving DR's ethical* philosophy** enough credit. It's not just the people who voice disagreement when he expresses his opinions: no real world consequences of his views can ever force him to change his mind. It must feel quite pleasantly secure, especially ever since he learned a fancy-sounding word for it. Finally, a label with which to focus and solidify his contempt for people who admit fault and error, and people who ever take practical action to try to make anything better for anyone but themselves.

Hats off, DR: you've cracked the code. You found an excuse for never having to try.

e:

CommieGIR posted:

Even better: He labels it an ETHICAL framework, so that anyone in disagreement is 'Unethical'

A breathtakingly convenient misunderstanding. "Other people might flail around, trying to figure out what's good and bad and how we then should consistently live, but I have an ethical framework."

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 3, 2017

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Godholio posted:

I had a 6P when they first came out. It died within a month, also went the Streamlight route.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've only used their LED products. I've had one for almost a decade, the other for about 7 years. :shrug:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
If I remember correctly, Mattis pissed off Obama because Mattis was more hardline about Iran, so Obama ended up canning him.

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/915233152389574657

Everything has been turned on its head.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

That's not giving DR's ethical* philosophy** enough credit. It's not just the people who voice disagreement when he expresses his opinions: no real world consequences of his views can ever force him to change his mind. It must feel quite pleasantly secure, especially ever since he learned a fancy-sounding word for it. Finally, a label with which to focus and solidify his contempt for people who admit fault and error, and people who ever take practical action to try to make anything better for anyone but themselves.

Hats off, DR: you've cracked the code. You found an excuse for never having to try.

Even better: He labels it an ETHICAL framework, so that anyone in disagreement is 'Unethical'

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
It's more like capitalism is the problem in all these situations :thunk:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The Economist has had several pieces on the changes brought by then Internet, including the focusing of capital (Internet companies create fewer jobs than they destroy) and increased automation of menial/tedious/repetitive jobs. I think they are moving in the direction of being in favor of a universal basic income but I haven't had a chance to catch up since grad school started.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/915182783370285056

Lol deficits are good now

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They've already straight up admitted that deficit talk was to go after obama.

The unspoken part of course is that they're playing their voters for idiots and convinced them that sovereign debt is like personal debt.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah but those people won't go after republican deficits cause they will just say trump doesn't have one (even though he does)

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hey ElMaligno, I hope your freeloading family members in Puerto Rico are feeling suitably chastened for throwing the budget out of whack.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/915249340809043971

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

suboptimal posted:

Hey ElMaligno, I hope your freeloading family members in Puerto Rico are feeling suitably chastened for throwing the budget out of whack.

It's ok, they can be proud of their death toll.

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/915249090027548672

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I feel like I'm on repeat when I say "what the ever-living gently caress".

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

suboptimal posted:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/915249340809043971

Alzheimer's is kicking in pretty hard.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Is this it? Is this the pivot? Is he presidential now?

...but for real impeachment now. I'd take the 25th but I think it's the cowardly way out.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

LingcodKilla posted:

I feel like I'm on repeat when I say "what the ever-living gently caress".

It gets better. He rambled on about the F-35.

https://twitter.com/dave_brown24/status/915250261177794565

He is in Puerto Rico right now and decided to talk about the F-35.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

vvvvvv :smugdon:

Bolow fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 3, 2017

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

facialimpediment posted:

It gets better. He rambled on about the F-35.

He is in Puerto Rico right now and decided to talk about the F-35.
https://twitter.com/dave_brown24/status/915250464983339010

This guy is amazing. I think I might have an aneurysm if he keeps going

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

What in the gently caress?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I mean, I know it's sort of getting old to post Trump poo poo, but I still recognize how loving nuts it is to brag about unknown death toll numbers and ramble on about the F-35 to a bunch of people THAT JUST WANT loving DIESEL FUEL DELIVERED TO THE HOSPITALS SO THEY DONT DIE OVERNIGHT.

By the way, he hasn't had the tour of the island yet.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/915191812691828736

The police response was great, but sheesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hey guys this one time obummer cried when talking about some crisis children actors got allegedly gun downed (but we know the truth) so it could be worse!
#maga
#TRUMP2020
#TRUMP2024

• Locked thread