Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

OOOHHHHH

*lightbulb explodes*

I mean don't get me wrong, it might be more worth it to have that Lord get 1,000 kills anyway if it means winning the battle. But farming kills isn't going to level them up any faster than just having them present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Also keep in mind that autoresolve doesn't keep in mind how mind bogglingly stupid the AI can be about some of their positioning. My Teclis game I was able to get a couple heroic victories against the starting lizardman rival because he would park his stupid fat frog in range of my archers and exploding after 3-4 volleys of arrows. AI skaven are kind of stupid about using vermintide and their clanrat callins and will span them a million miles from anything and try to run them in while they are taking summoning damage. It's also pretty easy to wad up enemy melee units into a big ball and drop vortex or bombardment spells on them because they don't keep good spread out lines. The AI has expert level reflex and micro on things like chariots and units dodging explosion/bombartment spells when they aren't engaged in melee, but they are very dumb on other things and can be baited pretty easily.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Panfilo posted:

I mean don't get me wrong, it might be more worth it to have that Lord get 1,000 kills anyway if it means winning the battle. But farming kills isn't going to level them up any faster than just having them present.

Well, it's a lightbulb because it means I have a motivation to hand-fight battles apart from "autoresolve sucks, reload and do by hand." There's an incentive to beat autoresolve even in battles where I don't "need" to because I'd get a pyrrhic victory or w/e.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Panfilo posted:

Margin of Victory or Loss is not at all determined by casualties as people would assume, but the ratio of damage dealt and damage received. There are also other minimum requirements as well; having a full stack of elite vs 1 lord with 1 HP will not give you a Heroic Victory because you only did 1 damage to him, even if the ratio of damage to HP was enormous. This helps balance different armies; smaller armies are not unfairly benefitting from the fact that they will receive comparatively less casualties even in decisive losses. I don't know the exact thresholds for getting Pyrrhic/Close/Decisive/Heroic victories, but I have noted the easiest way to get Heroic victories is to defend in a siege and/or use damage spells effectively. With magic being buffed I find it somewhat easier to get them now. Margin of Victory determines how much experience your Lord and Heroes receive at the end of the battle; while damage dealt determines exp/veterancy of regular units, Lords/Heroes only care about the degree you won; a Lord could theoretically get 1,000 kills on his own but if he gets a Pyrrhic victory then he'll receive less exp than a Lord that got 0 kills but won a Heroic victory.

So that's why my Carnsteins took forever to level up?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Mans posted:

So that's why my Carnsteins took forever to level up?

Its likely. With Vampire Counts people tend to not worry about Pyrrhic victories since it gives more fuel for Raise Dead and they also have the ability to ressurect units that got wiped out during the post-battle review. But the downside in theory is that you are getting less per-battle exp with your lords/heroes in the process.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If any ritual(not just the final one) that the ai is doing gets disrupted will they try it again? I hosed up tyrions third ritual and now it seems like he got all depressed and won't restart it.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Wafflecopper posted:

Wait, unforging actually does something? Is it based on them having magic items or something? The tooltip doesn't say anything to that effect, it just describes it as a single-target nuke like soul leech, except any time I've cast it it's only taken off 1 or 2 pixels of health bar.

If abilities are off cool down, it puts them on cooldown for 30 seconds base or 45 seconds overcast.

If you want to be a jerk to a caster, you can take two high mages and rotate castings to stop an enemy caster from ever doing anything.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Oh wow- the AI is like some sort of idiot savant. I'm playing a Skaven on Skaven siege defense, and on one hand, they are just randomly spawning Menace Below way behind their own lines instead of in my coutyard/behind my walls to disrupt my forces.

On the other hand, I used Menace Below and their Grey Seer fired off a Pestilent Breath immediately on top of them which basically wiped them all out in one shot :stonk:

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Steam Workshop live Thursday.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Panfilo posted:

Oh wow- the AI is like some sort of idiot savant. I'm playing a Skaven on Skaven siege defense, and on one hand, they are just randomly spawning Menace Below way behind their own lines instead of in my coutyard/behind my walls to disrupt my forces.

On the other hand, I used Menace Below and their Grey Seer fired off a Pestilent Breath immediately on top of them which basically wiped them all out in one shot :stonk:

I had the skaven AI army made up almost entirely out of skirmishers try to run out the clock on me by running off and hiding in the woods yesterday after I routed one of their stacks, so it's definitely got some pro moves.

Also I feel like I've played lizardmen very differently from everyone else, eschewing saurus almost entirely and instead leaning on skink cohorts with javelins and skink skirmishers early game. I'm closing in on the end of the mazdamundi campaign and now my armies are still largely chameleon skinks backed up with ranged weapon platform bastiladons/stegadons and terradons. I only use a smattering of saurus/temple guard to absorb ranged fire while I maneuver everything into position.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zhulik posted:

I had the skaven AI army made up almost entirely out of skirmishers try to run out the clock on me by running off and hiding in the woods yesterday after I routed one of their stacks, so it's definitely got some pro moves.

Also I feel like I've played lizardmen very differently from everyone else, eschewing saurus almost entirely and instead leaning on skink cohorts with javelins and skink skirmishers early game. I'm closing in on the end of the mazdamundi campaign and now my armies are still largely chameleon skinks backed up with ranged weapon platform bastiladons/stegadons and terradons. I only use a smattering of saurus/temple guard to absorb ranged fire while I maneuver everything into position.

Yeah that's definitely different alright :v:

How are Chameleon Skinks? I've never given them a try. I think the reason most people lean on Saurus is that 8 or so Saurus can absorb almost limitless punishment.

I do think that my Mazdamundi game would have been stronger had I been more willing to aggressively colonize with a second stack primarily of Skinks early on though.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
How the gently caress do you make cash money as Lizardmen? The upkeep is nuts for anything that isn't a lowly skink. I can barely maintain more than 2 stacks.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Does anybody else feel like armies are moving further away after they're defeated? I'm having issues where they retreat out of my attack range and then start making a bee-line for the territories in the core of my empire using forced march stance. It can be dealt with but it's getting incredibly annoying.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

How the gently caress do you make cash money as Lizardmen? The upkeep is nuts for anything that isn't a lowly skink. I can barely maintain more than 2 stacks.

? you have several money boosting buildings in your main province city, and one in your villages. that plus the standard money building can get you to more money then you can ever spend even with just 3 provinces

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Never had any problems as Skaven. Just make sure every army has 5-6 artillery and swamp them in slaves then explode everything in the killpile.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If any ritual(not just the final one) that the ai is doing gets disrupted will they try it again? I hosed up tyrions third ritual and now it seems like he got all depressed and won't restart it.

They do. An intervention army of mine stopped a lizardmen ritual and something like 10 or 15 turns later they restarted it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Well reddit confirmed what I thought had just been paranoia on my end. Units will frequently just ignore orders for no reason. I noticed it in one of my story battles as Malekith. I would tell units to attack someone and they'd keep attacking their current target, or stop attacking entirely, or get halfway there and then start attacking someone else. It seems to happen quite a lot actually. Hopefully they fix that soon, it's really bad.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

PantsBandit posted:

Well reddit confirmed what I thought had just been paranoia on my end. Units will frequently just ignore orders for no reason. I noticed it in one of my story battles as Malekith. I would tell units to attack someone and they'd keep attacking their current target, or stop attacking entirely, or get halfway there and then start attacking someone else. It seems to happen quite a lot actually. Hopefully they fix that soon, it's really bad.

I wonder if this affects the AI as well, because I've seen some enemy armies that just sort of derp around and don't do anything, particularly in sieges even if there is a breached gate/wall they can exploit.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Oh goddamn it warpfire throwers can't seem to be placed on walls what the gently caress?! I know that irondrakes can so I'm not sure if it's a bug or intended.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PantsBandit posted:

If they're already engaged any subsequent commands are basically a gamble. Last game seemed to have the same issue.

Makes me really want to ditch the warpfire throwers.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah that's definitely different alright :v:

How are Chameleon Skinks? I've never given them a try. I think the reason most people lean on Saurus is that 8 or so Saurus can absorb almost limitless punishment.

I do think that my Mazdamundi game would have been stronger had I been more willing to aggressively colonize with a second stack primarily of Skinks early on though.

They're good. They have vanguard deployment and stalker, so you deploy them on the flanks and then collapse behind the enemy line once their archers and cavalry are otherwise occupied and start shooting them in the back. Keep skirmish mode and fire at will on. They do solid damage to lightly armored units and keep everything poisoned, and once enemy units start breaking, they're very good at keeping them broken. Between having good speed and poison they can usually keep away from units chasing them well enough for other units to peel for them if needed. They also have a loose formation, so they don't get owned too bad when a dragon lands on top of them. They're pretty vulnerable to archer fire, however, so you need to be careful when you engage with them for the first time. Last fight I did before going to bed yesterday my 5 chameleon skinks picked up around a hundred kills each against a dark elf army.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Does the direction of a hit by a missile weapon negate the shield bonus against missiles? Does shooting them in the back make a difference from shooting them in the front?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yes, you can also aim for their weapon hand side too.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

but they are very dumb on other things and can be baited pretty easily.

I do this with my dark elf army, suicide a squad or two into the entire enemy melee. They tend to dogpile on them and then I just drop Black Arc AOEs and Spell AOEs on everyone while bolts and repeater crossbows rain down on them.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Well I figured out how to do Teclis campaign - you just to spam trade with everyone and especially after the event that reveals other port nations to you

It's the only way to get enough income to support a lord with a decent army and a second lord with something (and later a full army)

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Davincie posted:

? you have several money boosting buildings in your main province city, and one in your villages. that plus the standard money building can get you to more money then you can ever spend even with just 3 provinces

You say that but with the necessary 20 unit stacks needed to deal with the loving high elves in late game I was making a measly 1k per turn

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

This is just on Hard, but I've been running around with Teclis + spearmen and archers and a few reavers and it pretty much crushes anything the skaven AI can throw at you. I've just been investing in starter province for recruitment + 2 for money and am just about to start putting out a second army so I can actually make some permanent gains against the Skaven

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Luminous Cow posted:

I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say there's no map variety. This is far more varied than vanilla WH1. I've actually had some battles where I could use terrain to my advantage.

I had this doozy of a map

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Kroq has a surprisingly robust trade game.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord

MadJackMcJack posted:

I had this doozy of a map

Had some cool maps but also twice just an empty endless field so ymmv

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So, I won't go into spoilers on the last battle, but it seems like the AI spawns the reinforcement armies really, really slowly. I finished off my first opponent about 6 or 7 minutes into the battle and then had to sit and wait 15 minutes for the reinforcements to spawn and then only found them by sending Malekith flying across the map to look for them and slooooowly draw them back to my troops.

Did anyone else have that experience? It made an otherwise epic final fight feel a bit strange when I had to yakkety-sax the opposition to get things rolling. I literally finished the battle with about ten seconds to spare out of the hour and about 40 minutes of that was spent in super-fastforward mode...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Memnaelar posted:

So, I won't go into spoilers on the last battle, but it seems like the AI spawns the reinforcement armies really, really slowly. I finished off my first opponent about 6 or 7 minutes into the battle and then had to sit and wait 15 minutes for the reinforcements to spawn and then only found them by sending Malekith flying across the map to look for them and slooooowly draw them back to my troops.

Did anyone else have that experience? It made an otherwise epic final fight feel a bit strange when I had to yakkety-sax the opposition to get things rolling. I literally finished the battle with about ten seconds to spare out of the hour and about 40 minutes of that was spent in super-fastforward mode...

It wasn't nearly that bad for me but yeah the AI takes its sweet time getting over to you. Worse it spawns the armies in like two waves so it's trivial to defeat them in detail, especially because you get free 30sec cooldowns that take like 75% off a unit as they slowly march into you. The last battle kinda sucks

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

no it spawned each wave the second the one before that routed

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like the final battle should spawn 2 of the armies at the same time as they come from opposite ends of the map, it's not like the powers you have during it aren't broken enough to still make it a cakewalk.

If the final battle had you fight that first army uphill, then 2 armies came at you from 2 directions at once, then another 2 super armies came at you at once, it would still be easy with how strong the abilities you get are, but at least it would be a small challenge and cause you to decide which side you'd blow up first.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Skaven.jpg

Or maybe this:

Both of which are from this album.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

StashAugustine posted:

It wasn't nearly that bad for me but yeah the AI takes its sweet time getting over to you. Worse it spawns the armies in like two waves so it's trivial to defeat them in detail, especially because you get free 30sec cooldowns that take like 75% off a unit as they slowly march into you. The last battle kinda sucks

It's an absolutely huge map too, I kind of wish that small initial skaven force was all the way at the top of the mountain and you had to overrun them. Once you rout them, you had to fight all three other races simultaneously using a combination of high ground geography, terrain bottlenecks, and those rediculous final battle spells. Rather than all the fighting happening at the bottom and everyone staggering in one at a time like a bunch of drunk hobos to be winked out of existence futilely as they run toward you.

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking

Someone needs to mod in automatic victory for the AI if they complete the final ritual, then invoice Creative Assembly for fixing the campaign.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

SunAndSpring posted:

The Geomantic Web thing, build the boosters in your capital cities, watch the gold just wash into your accounts.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Invade the elves on the island, build up nothing but the economy and port buildings. Rake it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Beer Hall Putz posted:

Someone needs to mod in automatic victory for the AI if they complete the final ritual, then invoice Creative Assembly for fixing the campaign.

What happens if the AI finishes the last ritual?