Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Naked Bear posted:

Computer science students are just as gross as you might imagine. You know you're in a CS course when you walk into a lecture and can smell how many students are in the room.

Not an exaggeration.

My database class is like that. It just smells like unwashed nerd and I feel it seeping into my pores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I get super self conscious about my body odor so I keep deodorant on me.

People have told me that I smell like laundry soap, and I am okay with that.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

vains posted:

that is dope because
1- i live in philly
2- i need an escape plan from my company. there's like 28 people at the same level as me and 3 people above us. those 3 people are all younger than 50. that math isnt working out in my favor.

I did a hard science masters at Penn before heading to one of the larger med schools in Philly (not Penn). I know it's really dumb, but I feel super guilty about not going back into the military and paying forward all the help and mentoring that doctors/nurses/PAs gave me along the way to the next generation of corpsmen. Going back in would be extra strength stupid, so I won't, but I just feel like I never really gave back, with the exception of hearing damage and orthopedic injuries. What I'm saying is, if you need any help with applying or whatever, I'd be glad to help you out.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
So many loving nerds in uniform on the first day of classes

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My classes are typically full of bright-eyed kids and girls who believe clothing is merely a suggestion.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
I've also got a kid that looks exactly like an ogre from Everquest 1 in my class. He smells what I'd imagine an ogre from Everquest 1 smells like as well.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

cowboy elvis posted:

My classes are typically full of bright-eyed kids and girls who believe clothing is merely a suggestion.

This is the case for nearly the entire campus for me.

I'm knocking out my three mandatory electives this semester and the looks of despair the polisci people make when I say I'm a chemistry major are amazing. It's like watching someone go through flashbacks.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

The Aardvark posted:

This is the case for nearly the entire campus for me.

Same. Beauty all over. Only one real instance of a hot chick who smelled really bad.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Several swarthy Persian men in my Persian class. I feel great shame with my lovely can't quite grow a beard face.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I need to figure out a path through engineering including an advisor and a project/thesis. They pretty much just gave us the course book and said you can take whatever you want as long as it makes sense.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We skipped out of a company mandated firedrill and no one screamed, poo poo their pants, or put it on our permanent record. Yet another advantage over the military.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Anyone here ever gotten a grad assistant job? How does it work with the VA paying for tuition if the grad assistant job pays tuition and gives a stipend?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Anyone here ever gotten a grad assistant job? How does it work with the VA paying for tuition if the grad assistant job pays tuition and gives a stipend?

The stipend shouldn't matter.

Was tuition already reduced to zero? The VA is going to want to be the last in line to pay. I suppose you pitch some alternative arrangement to the school ie more stipend and less tuition bux. It should depend who's in your veteran benefits coordinator office. Vasudus probably knows the real deal.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Here's a question, if you are on Voc rehab, can you retake classes for the purpose of raising your GPA? The real reason is I want to do Italian again because I want some help before I go into 201 because 101/102 were not kind and it was a time management issue. So I got a C and D respectively. My school says they allow you to do that up to 10 credits and it overwrites the grade or something.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
VA educational benefits do not cover student health insurance?

I just got told that by my certifying official. This is an unexpected $2700 bill.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Weird. I was never obligated to pay for student healthcare. In fact, I never recall even hearing about it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Howard Phillips posted:

I just got told that by my certifying official. This is an unexpected $2700 bill.

Post 9/11 covers the school health insurance plan in CT. Talk to the VA and your certifying official?

Might be because legally you can't go to school here without insurance so the VA is forced to cover it, which they wouldn't in a different state? Even with the ACA individual mandate?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
School health insurance is part of my tuition but it does not qualify for Obamacare. They want us to carry our own while attending as well.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

lightpole posted:

School health insurance is part of my tuition but it does not qualify for Obamacare. They want us to carry our own while attending as well.

How does your school get away with providing health insurance that doesn't cover essential benefits? That seems completely useless to students?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I didn't turn in my waiver one year and the G I Bill paid for the school's health insurance. They sent me letters wanting their $1,000 back. I never got less money or anything on the 1st, so I wonder why the letters stopped.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

How does your school get away with providing health insurance that doesn't cover essential benefits? That seems completely useless to students?

I haven't checked it since I still have union insurance. They can take care of all the small stuff but not anything big from what I remember at orientation.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Grem posted:

I didn't turn in my waiver one year and the G I Bill paid for the school's health insurance. They sent me letters wanting their $1,000 back. I never got less money or anything on the 1st, so I wonder why the letters stopped.

Is this from the VA or the school?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The VA, basically saying they overpaid the school, and now I owe! Whatever, letters stopped like a year ago. I ain't worried about it anymore.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Grem posted:

The VA, basically saying they overpaid the school, and now I owe! Whatever, letters stopped like a year ago. I ain't worried about it anymore.

Yeah, they did this to me. It was a weird circumstance where I was technically still in the military when I started my first semester (The overlap was like, 2 weeks) and said they wouldn't match the school's yellow ribbon program thing, and eventually they just left me alone. This was of course, months after the fact.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I think it depends on how the school qualifies it's health insurance program.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

You could always join the military... I here they have healthcare. :haw:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Boon posted:

You could always join the military... I here they have healthcare. :haw:

Forrealz tho, should've done reserves for the duration of my schooling.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Should I be happy I got a research assistant job or just shoot myself?

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

lightpole posted:

Congrats! It's a good resume builder and you can get a reference out of it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

lightpole posted:

Both.

Being a research assistant is ultimately how I ended up where I am now. But holy poo poo can it be a motherfucker depending on what research you have to do.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
It wasn't hard to get, I did tell them I was only tangentially familiar with the area several times. It's on full printed circuits, probably wearables for the DoD or something. I think I have a bunch of catching up to do.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So correct me if I'm wrong but doctorates typically do research and like stuff? And teach?

Is getting 2 masters instead of a doctorate looked down upon? I am hatching a plan and am thinking of getting my masters in mass communications and then going to a different college and pursuing a masters in interpersonal communications or something. Is it kind of like "why didn't you go further?"

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

So correct me if I'm wrong but doctorates typically do research and like stuff? And teach?

Is getting 2 masters instead of a doctorate looked down upon? I am hatching a plan and am thinking of getting my masters in mass communications and then going to a different college and pursuing a masters in interpersonal communications or something. Is it kind of like "why didn't you go further?"

You keep it going man
You keep those books rolling
You pick up all those books that you're gonna read and not remember
And you roll, man
You get that associate's degree, okay?
Then you get your bachelor's
Then you get your masters
Then you get your masters' masters
Then you get your doctorate
You go man!
And then when everyone says quit
You show them those degrees, man
When everyone says "Hey, you're not working, you're not making any money"
You say "You look at my degrees, and you look at my life
Yeah, I'm 52! So what?
Hate all you want, but I'm smart, I'm so smart
And I'm in school
All these guys out here making money all these ways
And I'm spending mine to be smart!
You know why?
Cause when I die buddy
You know what's gonna keep me warm?
That's right, those degrees."

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Whatever man, it was a loving question.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You keep it going man
You keep those books rolling
You pick up all those books that you're gonna read and not remember
And you roll, man
You get that associate's degree, okay?
Then you get your bachelor's
Then you get your masters
Then you get your masters' masters
Then you get your doctorate
You go man!
And then when everyone says quit
You show them those degrees, man
When everyone says "Hey, you're not working, you're not making any money"
You say "You look at my degrees, and you look at my life
Yeah, I'm 52! So what?
Hate all you want, but I'm smart, I'm so smart
And I'm in school
All these guys out here making money all these ways
And I'm spending mine to be smart!
You know why?
Cause when I die buddy
You know what's gonna keep me warm?
That's right, those degrees."

This is wrong. The longer you stay in college the longer you get to wait to pay off those loans, not to speak of the free mental health and rear end floating around.

To answer the question, I am in a dual degree program so I am going to spend the next 6 quarters taking 16 units/qtr or so, two years as long as I stay on top of things. The degrees are pretty complementary, an MBA and MS in Eng. Management and I'm getting in state tuition so it should cost under 40k as I am staying with family. Both of the degrees are also terminal programs so I'm not expected to continue on towards a PhD. Make sure they are complementary without too much overlap. You can't do it all at one school? There are plenty of program combinations around, I know here they also offer a bunch of related certificates so I will probably get a certificate in business analytics along the MBA path.

Since I want to experience a bit of research while I'm here I signed up for a graduate research assistant assignment for the next six months. We are evaluating the state of printed electronic circuits for wearables/medical devices at present and in the next 3, 5, 10 years or so. I will be assisting with the sensors portion as I have a decent amount of experience with sensors from my work in industry. These jobs might be harder to get at universities with large doctoral programs.

Also a 2-4 year commitment for 1-2 masters is easily doable. A PhD generally takes a minimum 4 years unless you are very together and have a strong plan. Take a look in the grad student thread on the nightmares they go through for it.

Quite obviously, my two degrees and being published will be enough to establish my pedigree while KN just languishes in the gutter feeling sorry for himself with a single scrap of paper to keep him warm at night.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 10, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

Whatever man, it was a loving question.

lol it's a kanye west skit cool your jets

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

This is wrong. The longer you stay in college the longer you get to wait to pay off those loans, not to speak of the free mental health and rear end floating around.

To answer the question, I am in a dual degree program so I am going to spend the next 6 quarters taking 16 units/qtr or so, two years as long as I stay on top of things. The degrees are pretty complementary, an MBA and MS in Eng. Management and I'm getting in state tuition so it should cost under 40k as I am staying with family. Both of the degrees are also terminal programs so I'm not expected to continue on towards a PhD. Make sure they are complementary without too much overlap. You can't do it all at one school? There are plenty of program combinations around, I know here they also offer a bunch of related certificates so I will probably get a certificate in business analytics along the MBA path.

Since I want to experience a bit of research while I'm here I signed up for a graduate research assistant assignment for the next six months. We are evaluating the state of printed electronic circuits for wearables/medical devices at present and in the next 3, 5, 10 years or so. I will be assisting with the sensors portion as I have a decent amount of experience with sensors from my work in industry. These jobs might be harder to get at universities with large doctoral programs.

Also a 2-4 year commitment for 1-2 masters is easily doable. A PhD generally takes a minimum 4 years unless you are very together and have a strong plan. Take a look in the grad student thread on the nightmares they go through for it.

Quite obviously, my two degrees and being published will be enough to establish my pedigree while KN just languishes in the gutter feeling sorry for himself with a single scrap of paper to keep him warm at night.

Thanks. The main reason is because I was going to use going to another graduate program to kinda use to live whenever I graduated. My wife and I have been kind of eyeing a town and the goal is to complete one masters here in SoCal on Voc Rehab and then use my GI Bill to do the other masters degree to help me get paid while we look to buy a house in that area.

This stuff is pretty new to me and I try to set myself obtainable goals because I'm actually enjoying learning and am accruing no student debt. It's like work except I work half days, learn cool poo poo and have homework. Granted, it won't be like that forever, but it's nice to have a break from the constant grind that I was used to.

Also knowing that masters is another 2-4 years is good to hear. It means I probably won't run out of 9/11 GI Bill time. It's also the back pocket ace or whatever in case Voc Rehab denies my going to graduate school, which I don't see why not.

I just don't want to pigeon hole myself into one area. That's the whole reason I switched from an art degree.

I'll probably see what I can do in terms of public relations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

lol it's a kanye west skit cool your jets

I am not cool or hip. Sorry for melting steel beams with my jets.

Edit: that poo poo struck home though. I was like "...man..."

Soulex fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 10, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
It really depends on the masters. If you are doing a thesis and don't plan it out or hop right into it with the right advisor you will be at least two years. My MBA only requires taking a test over the core courses and then I just need to focus on my management project. I will most likely use my grad research for that.

The only thing I'm a little disappointed in is that trying to get 45 units done in 3 qtrs really does not leave a lot of time for exploration. There's a ton of cool stuff, as a grad student you get to do whatever you can make a relevant case for. I want to get involved in everything from drones to AI but I don't have the time and would require excessive classes for some of it I think.

Also, it's extremely fast paced but much better than being at sea, as long as I'm not having El Faro nightmares and losing my grip on reality when my blood sugars stay too low for too long, leading to an embarrassing freak out on my marketing group.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Get a phd and finish your career teaching in a masters program six hours a week for $120k+/year.