Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Anti-Semitism is bad with money

article posted:

Key takeaways:

• German households in counties where historical anti-Semitism was more pronounced are less likely to use banking services or to keep their savings in a bank, though their access to banking services are no different than in other counties.
• Families in counties with higher rates of historical anti-Semitism are less likely to have a mortgage, though they are no less likely to own a home.
• Present-day anti-Semitism and ownership of stocks are negatively associated: In other words, someone who holds anti-Semitic beliefs is less likely to own stocks.
• Households in counties that saw anti-Semitic pogroms around the Black Death in 1349 are today about 12.5 percent less likely to own stocks.
• Households in counties where historical anti-Semitism (expressed both in 1349 and the early 20th century) was one standard deviation higher than the mean are about 9 percent less likely to hold stocks. This difference, the authors note, compares to the difference in stock market participation between someone with a college degree and someone without the degree.
• A one standard deviation increase in historical anti-Semitism is associated with an 8-percentage point drop in trust of local banks.
• Present-day distrust in finance is higher in counties with historically higher anti-Semitism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
My ex-roommate liked to keep the place at 69 F, except he never turned it back up.

When I left the country for two weeks, our power bill went up 100%. So glad he's gone.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Silver is also an easier sell because it's much cheaper than gold. $200 buys a tiny gold coin, but it can also buy about a dozen large silver coins that look a lot more impressive.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quote:

Families in counties with higher rates of historical anti-Semitism are less likely to have a mortgage, though they are no less likely to own a home.

That seems good with money, at least.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

All of those things in the quote box are completely rational and GWM.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Relevant Tangent posted:

"Don't have a bank account" say the cunning financial minds of the BWM thread.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

Don't own stocks and trust the banks, give me all of your gold to bury in the yard!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

They distrust local banks. If you're going to trust a bank, multinational ones are far less likely to collapse than local ones.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Relevant Tangent posted:

They distrust local banks. If you're going to trust a bank, multinational ones are far less likely to collapse than local ones.

"Make poo poo up" say the cunning financial minds of the BWM thread.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

"Families in counties with higher rates of historical anti-Semitism are less likely to have a mortgage, though they are no less likely to own a home."

Uhhh.

E: beaten

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

Your friendly local credit union vs. International Fraud & Derivative Investment Co.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Relevant Tangent posted:

Ah yes, trusted financial institutions such as Wells Fargo are much better than the bank whose board of trustees I could call up directly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yawgmoth posted:

Ah yes, trusted financial institutions such as Wells Fargo are much better than the bank whose board of trustees I could call up directly.

The poster didn't say they were better, just that they were less likely to collapse.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Subjunctive posted:

The poster didn't say they were better, just that they were less likely to collapse.

They were talking about trust, of which the answer to the question "how likely are they to defraud me and what can I do about it" is an important component.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Relevant Tangent posted:

When I think of trustworthy companies, I think of multinational banks like HSBC, Wells Fargo, Chase, etc.

e: as long as my bank has FDIC insurance, why should I really care if they collapse? sure it might be a little bit of a pain in the rear end to transfer account info and autopays, but the odds of it collapsing are low. that's, uh, also not why antisemites distrust banks.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I feel like this is relevant to the thread: the IRS has awarded Equifax a multimillion dollar fraud prevention contract.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I need an update from the Miami dude

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Vox Nihili posted:

International Fraud & Derivative Investment Co.

I would bank there.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yawgmoth posted:

That's irrelevant, since the article doesn't mention a single thing about local banks. Anti-semites are less likely to participate in banking, period. He just made the local bank thing up to pretend he has an opinion other than "antisemitism is perfectly logical."

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Tiny, where does that picture of little brontosauruses (that looks wrong, is it brontosaurs?) come from? They are adorable and I would want a BWM quantity of them, although I was somehow able to resist the old Nessie ladles.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

:piss:

At least they know how to verify the personal information on everyone that they just lost.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

That's irrelevant, since the article doesn't mention a single thing about local banks. Anti-semites are less likely to participate in banking, period. He just made the local bank thing up to pretend he has an opinion other than "antisemitism is perfectly logical."

quote:

• A one standard deviation increase in historical anti-Semitism is associated with an 8-percentage point drop in trust of local banks.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I have a friend who is a partner at a family law firm. He sometimes gets offers of weird things to use as payment for representation in things like divorce, custody cases, whatever.
He's been offered cars, motorcycles, firearms, real estate, and boats in trade. Most times he has to insist on cash, but he ended up taking a boat once. It's a nice little ski boat, he's had it for 4 years and his family really likes it :)
I'll have to ask him if anyone ever offered a horse.

He did tell me that one of the most complex will and estate settlements he ever worked on was with from a deceased man with children from different marriages, two divorced spouses, a business, multiple homes and significant value in other assets.
The guy had no will. At all. Had done zero estate planning.

The deceased's occupation? A lawyer, one who specialized in wills and estate planning.
As he told me this story, he also admitted that he doesn't have a will either. :v:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

canyoneer posted:

I have a friend who is a partner at a family law firm. He sometimes gets offers of weird things to use as payment for representation in things like divorce, custody cases, whatever.
He's been offered cars, motorcycles, firearms, real estate, and boats in trade. Most times he has to insist on cash, but he ended up taking a boat once. It's a nice little ski boat, he's had it for 4 years and his family really likes it :)
I'll have to ask him if anyone ever offered a horse.

He did tell me that one of the most complex will and estate settlements he ever worked on was with from a deceased man with children from different marriages, two divorced spouses, a business, multiple homes and significant value in other assets.
The guy had no will. At all. Had done zero estate planning.

The deceased's occupation? A lawyer, one who specialized in wills and estate planning.
As he told me this story, he also admitted that he doesn't have a will either. :v:
I got to the end of this post and was very sad that a sad trombone noise didn't play automatically through my computer speakers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks for the reminder to update my will. :hfive:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Not entirely unusual for people who do something professionally to not want to deal with it in their personal lives. Not that it makes not having a will less foolish.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not entirely unusual for people who do something professionally to not want to deal with it in their personal lives. Not that it makes not having a will less foolish.

See also builder's houses and mechanic's cars.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Actually it's the last factoid in the box.
Excuse me, second to last factoid. :)

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 4, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Virtue posted:

I need an update from the Miami dude

Surprisingly, /u/IPatEussy never came back to the thread to respond. Bur he's still actively buying/swapping PC parts.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

crazypeltast52 posted:

Tiny, where does that picture of little brontosauruses (that looks wrong, is it brontosaurs?) come from? They are adorable and I would want a BWM quantity of them, although I was somehow able to resist the old Nessie ladles.
I don't know and I wish I did! It kinda looks like it might be from an Etsy posting? I resisted the Nessie ladles too but I do have a t-rex pasta server and he is my best friend :3:

Relevant Tangent posted:

Actually it's the last factoid in the box.
Excuse me, second to last factoid. :)

I'm glad that your bigotry "logic" will keep you poor.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Can we please avoid the bi-monthly TB argument?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I don't know and I wish I did! It kinda looks like it might be from an Etsy posting? I resisted the Nessie ladles too but I do have a t-rex pasta server and he is my best friend :3:

I'm glad that your bigotry "logic" will keep you poor.

I'm not German, which is the only people the article applied to, which you'd know if you'd bothered to even skim the box never mind the article. Also, I'm not anti-Semitic, despite your beliefs to the contrary.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I don't see why not having a will is foolish. I mean, you're not the one who will have to deal with the mess.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Day Man posted:

I don't see why not having a will is foolish. I mean, you're not the one who will have to deal with the mess.

Presumably you have people you care about and you'd prefer not to let your estate fall in to infighting and acrimony? Not to mention probate potentially taking a big chunk out of it for no reason, which is surely BWM.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Presumably you have people you care about

Goons.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Presumably you have people you care about and you'd prefer not to let your estate fall in to infighting and acrimony? Not to mention probate potentially taking a big chunk out of it for no reason, which is surely BWM.

It's more careless than foolish, is what I'm saying

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Moneyball posted:

Sure, how about punishing people who think anti-semitism is cool and good instead of calling black women "it"? One of your lovely mod friends gave me a three-day for so much as mentioning you did that, btw, so congrats, dehumanizing minorities pays dividends, and as we know, dividends are gwm.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sure, how about punishing people who think anti-semitism is cool and good instead of calling black women "it"? One of your lovely mod friends gave me a three-day for so much as mentioning you did that, btw, so congrats, dehumanizing minorities pays dividends, and as we know, dividends are gwm.

You're winning!!! Keep it up!! Yeah!!!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Moneyball posted:

hmm i think only you can do that

also "bi-monthly" is a dumb word that should never be used, along with "bi-weekly"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

heh haha good poo poo "my dude"