Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Officer Sandvich posted:

Refugees and immigrants are way cooler than people who think like this.

Agreed. Refugees/immigrants bring culture and food and important perspectives. That guy seems to bring entitlement and whining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Officer Sandvich posted:

Refugees and immigrants are way cooler than people who think like this.

I'd rather have refugees and immigrants than someone who thinks they deserve what they have because they "worked for it".

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

They've got a point though, those drat immigrants and refugees are just strolling into our city on easy street.

No one deserves respect just for buying their way into a city; that's a dirty Californian way of thinking.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Guys he paid to live here. When have you ever paid to live here?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thanatosian posted:

I don't see how you could miss it if you're in Seattle. People born in Washington are worse than vegan Crossfitters.

I'm in Tacoma but I also have a pretty diverse group of friends, which includes people who have moved here from other parts of the country.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

George posted:

Guys he paid to live here. When have you ever paid to live here?
I don't know how it is up in Seattle, but in Portland all of our homeless used to live in California where they got free one-way bus tickets to Portland.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

I don't know how it is up in Seattle, but in Portland all of our homeless used to live in California where they got free one-way bus tickets to Portland.

I thought that was an urban legend that served to 'otherize' people who needed help.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Peachfart posted:

I thought that was an urban legend that served to 'otherize' people who needed help.
sigh

While I wasn't being serious (it is definitely not "all of our homeless") it is true that some homeless people in California, or other places, can get bus tickets to Portland. It is also true that homeless in Portland can receive bus tickets to California, or to other places. Typically these are supposed to be for people who have found a place to stay, but no one ever follows up or cares, as it is very much an "out of sight, out of mind"-style plan. There is a pervasive idea among both liberals and conservatives that Portland provides free shelter/food/etc. to the homeless in such a great quantity that people from all over the country are willing to come here. This is objectively false; here is an article from a couple days ago about how California sucks at providing housing for the homeless, which I thought included Portland, but it isn't marked. Seattle's on there, at a ratio of a little under 0.7 beds per homeless person. And, like George mentioned above, "Californian" can be a dogwhistle term for "Mexican", so when you see someone yelling about homeless Californians getting free bus tickets to [your city] there's a good chance they're talking about hispanics.

For your further consideration, here is an article from March about a b-b-b-black!! criminal!!! who got a free bus ticket to Portland from Denver. He's a career criminal! He's dangerous! Look at all this poo poo he used to do and now he's in YOUR TOWN. He's so dangerous, there's no record of him having committed a single crime after Denver gave him a ticket back to Portland!

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 3, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

sigh

While I wasn't being serious (it is definitely not "all of our homeless") it is true that some homeless people in California, or other places, can get bus tickets to Portland. It is also true that homeless in Portland can receive bus tickets to California, or to other places. Typically these are supposed to be for people who have found a place to stay, but no one ever follows up or cares, as it is very much an "out of sight, out of mind"-style plan. There is a pervasive idea among both liberals and conservatives that Portland provides free shelter/food/etc. to the homeless in such a great quantity that people from all over the country are willing to come here. This is objectively false; here is an article from a couple days ago about how California sucks at providing housing for the homeless, which I thought included Portland, but it isn't marked. Seattle's on there, at a ratio of a little under 0.7 beds per homeless person. And, like George mentioned above, "Californian" can be a dogwhistle term for "Mexican", so when you see someone yelling about homeless Californians getting free bus tickets to [your city] there's a good chance they're talking about hispanics.

For your further consideration, here is an article from March about a b-b-b-black!! criminal!!! who got a free bus ticket to Portland from Denver. He's a career criminal! He's dangerous! Look at all this poo poo he used to do and now he's in YOUR TOWN. He's so dangerous, there's no record of him having committed a single crime after Denver gave him a ticket back to Portland!

My bad, TYOOL 2017 has removed my ability to detect sarcasm due to the sheer horribleness of many people. I agree with you completely.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

anthonypants posted:

And, like George mentioned above, "Californian" can be a dogwhistle term for "Mexican", so when you see someone yelling about homeless Californians getting free bus tickets to [your city] there's a good chance they're talking about hispanics.

I'm not saying this isn't true now, but growing up there weren't enough hispanic people in the Portland area for us to be afraid of, and "Californian" usually meant white liberals. Sometimes it also meant the "Gang Members" (black people) that Officer Friendly (from our mandatory DARE classes) told us were being excluded from Californian cities and therefore moved to Portland for REASONS, but usually they were just called gang members.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I've never understood Californian as being a Mexican or Hispanic dog whistle. I've usually assumed that it meant people from not oregon/Washington that have come to the area with assets that they use to purchase property which has priced people that have lived in that area longer out of the market.

As for the dumb urban legends of bussing homeless people around, I think all urban places with homeless issues have that rumor.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

The assholes in WA didn't all move here in 2016, lol. It's just a cop-out. Don't like what they're saying? They must not be from around here.

Straw man right. Like ooh my opinion on making heroin dealing easy makes me a literal Nazi.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 3, 2017

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I just base it off all the gotdamn license plates :shrug:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Munchables posted:

I just base it off all the gotdamn license plates :shrug:

I'm always confused when I see mid west or East coast plates in the area i want to pull them over and ask them if they're ok because that really must've sucked.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Protip: get new tires when you move here.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

I've never understood Californian as being a Mexican or Hispanic dog whistle. I've usually assumed that it meant people from not oregon/Washington that have come to the area with assets that they use to purchase property which has priced people that have lived in that area longer out of the market.

As for the dumb urban legends of bussing homeless people around, I think all urban places with homeless issues have that rumor.

I think most people are complaining about moneyed white folks, but be vigilant.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

RuanGacho posted:

I'm always confused when I see mid west or East coast plates in the area i want to pull them over and ask them if they're ok because that really must've sucked.

They hosed me up badly enough that Alabama was an escape.

I would tell you about it, but it'd just be "whining."

I'll probably just bottle it up until someday I like ... Shoot up a hospital over circumcision or something retarded.

Edit: a McDonalds and my sendoff YouTube post is me blaming them because I got fat.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 3, 2017

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Oscar Wild posted:

I've usually assumed that it meant people from not oregon/Washington that have come to the area with assets that they use to purchase property which has priced people that have lived in that area longer out of the market.

This is what I've always heard (and used, tbh) the term "transplants" refer to, that and people who move here and act like Portlandia was a documentary.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

I'll come back when I have a house and more than $300 so you can hate my success without second guessing.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Reene posted:

This is what I've always heard (and used, tbh) the term "transplants" refer to, that and people who move here and act like Portlandia was a documentary.

This is what I always thought it was too and what my experience has been.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

DrNutt posted:

I'm in Tacoma but I also have a pretty diverse group of friends, which includes people who have moved here from other parts of the country.

As a Tacoman living in Seattle I grew up as the enemy of this city. Now I'm a welcome ally Vs the Bay Area hordes.

My passive aggression is pure as the snow of My Rainer. My flannels are of the purest virgin wool. My Birkenstocks shielded with the finest hiking socks.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

BlueBlazer posted:

As a Tacoman living in Seattle I grew up as the enemy of this city. Now I'm a welcome ally Vs the Bay Area hordes.

My passive aggression is pure as the snow of My Rainer. My flannels are of the purest virgin wool. My Birkenstocks shielded with the finest hiking socks.

Soon there will only be MegaSeattle, stretching from Bellingham to Olympia.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BlueBlazer posted:

Taco man.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

BlueBlazer posted:

Is there a strip club in Seattle called "Mons Rainer"? Because there should be.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Is this a joke about there being nearly twice as many hispanic people in Tacoma as Seattle?.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

therobit posted:

Is this a joke about there being nearly twice as many hispanic people in Tacoma as Seattle?.

It's a joke about "tacoman" being a single space away from "taco man."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

reignonyourparade posted:

It's a joke about "tacoman" being a single space away from "taco man."
Yeah.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Chadderbox posted:

It's certainly not all of them, but I've been quite surprised by how provincial some people are up here.

I've had people walk up to me in bathrooms (twice) and ask if I'm a tech worker, with an implied and gently caress you if you are.

They got pretty confused when I told them I came to work in the ports.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I think they might have just wanted a blowjay

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The rest of the country is going to be in for a surprise when the space needle forms arms and legs and starts trying to put Sawant into the Congress via Galactic Punt

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Peachfart posted:

Soon there will only be MegaSeattle, stretching from Bellingham to Olympia.

This pretty much happened in Colorado from Fort Collins down to Colorado Springs.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it happened here.

Just keep it on your side of the sound, jerks.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Doccers posted:

This pretty much happened in Colorado from Fort Collins down to Colorado Springs.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it happened here.

Just keep it on your side of the sound, jerks.

https://www.theurbanist.org/2016/04/01/introducing-the-bainbridge-bellevue-freeway-bridge-to-somewhere/

It's coming. :unsmigghh:

Yes, I know it is a joke. For now.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

From that article:

http://time.com/3819827/washington-bridge-aircraft-carriers/

... I almost want to see this, just to say I've seen this.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

That Article is way to optimistic on the commute time from Bainbridge via Ferry to Bellevue.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/dougbrown8/status/915674325809635328 The Portland Mercury did an interview with Portland's new chief of police, but apparently the Mercury also believes that cops aren't civilians.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Not knowing anything about the new chief, I have difficulty imagining what could possibly be in her background that would justify hiring her in spite of the fact that she came from Oakland.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanatosian posted:

Not knowing anything about the new chief, I have difficulty imagining what could possibly be in her background that would justify hiring her in spite of the fact that she came from Oakland.
Our old police chief shot a guy last year and lied about it so we kinda needed a new one, and she's been trying to get a police chief gig out of state since at least 2015.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

Our old police chief shot a guy last year and lied about it so we kinda needed a new one, and she's been trying to get a police chief gig out of state since at least 2015.

Oakland would love a scandal that was just their chief shooting one of his friends. That department is a loving tire fire.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

How about being 1) a black woman 2)with a last name of Outlaw?

Badass AND ironic last name and punches at least two underrepresented minority tickets. She also seems to actually have her head screwed on straight when it comes to community policing, etc. But let's face it, she would have to gently caress up pretty hard not to be an improvement over her predecessors going WAY back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Nazi's in Seattle, apparently a bunch of them are tech workers, who would've guessed 20-something shut-ins would be a bunch of racists?

https://www.thestranger.com/news/2017/10/04/25451102/we-snuck-into-seattles-super-secret-white-nationalist-convention