Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Zoran posted:

It really doesn't seem like it was meant to cover up anything nefarious, because he's still on the payroll as an advisor to OU's AD and comes to the games and everything. If I had to guess I'd say he was just concerned about what happened to his dad, or maybe also got tired of the behind-the-scenes political games, and he felt like he could go out on top.

I sincerely think he had a morning where he woke up at 4am or whatever, saw a picture of his kids that he obviously wasn't there for and it all clicked. Atleast i'm telling myself that and not that he's been killing hookers all these years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

People are still going to be asking "Stoops???" in loving 10 years from now whenever there's an opening at a top-25 prestige program, not understanding that

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Bob Stoops watched his dad die while coaching at the ripe old age of 55
Definitely means

He's not gonna coach again. Book it.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Yeah, Stoops is done. Seemed like he had this age in mind and kept that to himself and made sure to have good hands to leave it with lined up. Totally understandable decision given what happened to his dad.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:

Marquis de Pyro posted:

If Brady Hoke and Ed Orgeron are head coaches in the same conference, does the universe survive?

The Bumble Bowl is born.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TipTow posted:

People are still going to be asking "Stoops???" in loving 10 years from now whenever there's an opening at a top-25 prestige program, not understanding that

Definitely means

He's not gonna coach again. Book it.

poo poo, people still being up John loving Gruden despite him being out of coaching for like a decade.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

DJExile posted:

poo poo, people still being up John loving Gruden despite him being out of coaching for like a decade.

I was going to say the same but Jim Tressel. Or Chip Kelly (I actually just checked the spelling on Google and the first two suggestions were "Chip Kelly Tennessee" and "Chip Kelly Ole Miss" :lol:)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There was a brief window where a few choice schools would go "COWHER???"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Stoops will only coach again if his One True Dream Job Iowa opens up, obviously

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sash! posted:

There was a brief window where a few choice schools would go "COWHER???"

By "schools", do you mean "school"? And by "school", do you mean Penn State?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

If Tennessee wants to throw boats of money at Chip Kelly I'm okay with that.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Komet posted:

Have you never heard of the University of Tennessee before? You are going to hear it in like 2 weeks days.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

The Notorious ZSB posted:

If Tennessee wants to throw boats of money at Chip Kelly I'm okay with that.

That would be a sight to see, but I don’t see him doing anything East of the Rockies. I’m not really sure how he’d fair at Tennessee either. Also, I’m here to jump on the anti-CBJ train. It’s Tuesday and Butch Jones is still employed at the University of Tennessee.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Sir Thats Gross posted:

That would be a sight to see, but I don’t see him doing anything East of the Rockies. I’m not really sure how he’d fair at Tennessee either. Also, I’m here to jump on the anti-CBJ train. It’s Tuesday and Butch Jones is still employed at the University of Tennessee.

Why is it that a coach from New Hampshire, who took a job at Oregon, and then immediately moved to Philadelphia for the NFL presumed to only want to coach west of the Rockies?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I assume because of recruiting?

Which is a weird thought because Kelly needs his assistants to do that, he doesn't give a poo poo.

e: I just discovered that Chip Kelly was Johns Hopkins (Johns Hopkins?) defensive coordinator in 1993.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Komet posted:

Also Pitt and, inexplicably, NC State

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Maxwells Demon posted:

Why is it that a coach from New Hampshire, who took a job at Oregon, and then immediately moved to Philadelphia for the NFL presumed to only want to coach west of the Rockies?

Now that the existential threat of Mike Riley has left the PAC12, there's no one left to stop him.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Trev Alberts took himself out of consideration for the Nebraska AD gig, which is fine.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sash! posted:

Also Pitt and, inexplicably, NC State

He's an alum of NC State

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I guess my big question with Chip is: does he really want to go back to college? It seemed like he was pretty much done with the recruiting hustle and political games when he took the Eagles job. I could see him just hanging at ESPN for a bit longer and hold out for another NFL job (that will never come).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Real Name Grover posted:

Trev Alberts took himself out of consideration for the Nebraska AD gig, which is fine.

Wait....the Trev Alberts that was fired from ESPN for being a loving horrible pundit opposite Mark May?

What?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I assume because of recruiting?

Which is a weird thought because Kelly needs his assistants to do that, he doesn't give a poo poo.

e: I just discovered that Chip Kelly was Johns Hopkins (Johns Hopkins?) defensive coordinator in 1993.

His career is super weird, he went from obscure I-AA assistant to the hottest coach in football in, like, two years

Benne posted:

I guess my big question with Chip is: does he really want to go back to college? It seemed like he was pretty much done with the recruiting hustle and political games when he took the Eagles job. I could see him just hanging at ESPN for a bit longer and hold out for another NFL job (that will never come).

I know everyone says he hated coaching college but it's pretty hard to believe he's not gonna give it another shot given how successful he was at that level and how much money he can make doing it

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

How the gently caress is butch Jones not fired yet? Buyout be damned, shouldn't schools understand now that the longer something like this festers, the worse off they'll be in every aspect of their program?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

Wait....the Trev Alberts that was fired from ESPN for being a loving horrible pundit opposite Mark May?

What?

He's been AD at UN-Omaha for awhile now and obviously would be a big hit with fundraising given his history there, it's not that weird.

Also I don't think they intended to fire him he just got mad and stopped showing up. He was way better on that show than May, not that that's saying much

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

buddhanc posted:

How the gently caress is butch Jones not fired yet? Buyout be damned, shouldn't schools understand now that the longer something like this festers, the worse off they'll be in every aspect of their program?

We have the week off then play South Carolina, Bama and Kentucky.

I would be surprised if he makes it past Bama.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Joey Freshwater posted:

We have the week off then play South Carolina, Bama and Kentucky.

I would be surprised if he makes it past Bama.

Honestly would you want to make the next guy suffer the bama game is what I've been thinking

Although Brady Hoke Vols vs Bama would be fun as hell

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Benne posted:

I guess my big question with Chip is: does he really want to go back to college?

The way SEC buyouts have grown to monstrous proportions, it's more of a question of whether he wants $20,000,000+ in guaranteed money.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

His career is super weird, he went from obscure I-AA assistant to the hottest coach in football in, like, two years

I know everyone says he hated coaching college but it's pretty hard to believe he's not gonna give it another shot given how successful he was at that level and how much money he can make doing it

I remember reading some piece where an unnamed source said Chip would only go back to College for a service academy gig. They kinda recruit themselves and don't have to deal with boosters and poo poo

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Raku posted:

Honestly would you want to make the next guy suffer the bama game is what I've been thinking

Although Brady Hoke Vols vs Bama would be fun as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPxPSzz0LBY

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I remember reading some piece where an unnamed source said Chip would only go back to College for a service academy gig. They kinda recruit themselves and don't have to deal with boosters and poo poo

That sounds like bullshit

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

buddhanc posted:

It actually doesn't accomplish anything, as either way the recruiting class will be a shambles until the new coach is in place, and the much-touted "head start" on the coaching carousel never, ever means anything. The mid-season firing is exclusively about throwing a bone to the fans, and honestly gently caress every fan of anything, they deserve nothing.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

General Dog posted:

It actually doesn't accomplish anything, as either way the recruiting class will be a shambles until the new coach is in place, and the much-touted "head start" on the coaching carousel never, ever means anything. The mid-season firing is exclusively about throwing a bone to the fans, and honestly gently caress every fan of anything, they deserve nothing.

Mid-season termination helped UF get rid of Ron Zook before he had a strong finish to his season.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

Mid-season termination helped UF get rid of Ron Zook before he had a strong finish to his season.

There's also that. But that's such a weird place to find yourself- "let's fire this guy before he tricks us into thinking he's not as bad as we think he is now"

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

He's been AD at UN-Omaha for awhile now and obviously would be a big hit with fundraising given his history there, it's not that weird.

Also I don't think they intended to fire him he just got mad and stopped showing up. He was way better on that show than May, not that that's saying much

I figured I was missing something but that segment was uniformly awful and I guess I had no idea where he went from there.

Still gave me a bit of a double take. drat.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

That sounds like bullshit

Probably

But I remember reading it

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

General Dog posted:

There's also that. But that's such a weird place to find yourself- "let's fire this guy before he tricks us into thinking he's not as bad as we think he is now"

It's more "let's fire this guy that we know we want to fire now, when things are at their worst, rather than wait for no obvious reason and risk backlash if we have to fire him after he strings together a few wins."

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

big money big clit posted:

It's more "let's fire this guy that we know we want to fire now, when things are at their worst, rather than wait for no obvious reason and risk backlash if we have to fire him after he strings together a few wins."

Before he crosses the Orgeron Meridian

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I think the attitude of the players has a lot to do with it. If the coach is able to maintain their respect and the team is putting in a good effort every week, you probably don't want to fire him midseason. If the coach has lost the locker room and the players are phoning it in, it's probably better to make a change right away.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Before he crosses the Orgeron Meridian

(ominous wailing)

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mike Leach hates recruiting and he has a borderline top 10 team. If there's a want and a will between Chip and a program, there's a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Chip Kelly at BYU would be kind of cool.

• Locked thread