Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cochise posted:

The breed that's causing the trouble was crossed with wild Russian hogs, so we're left with a hybrid that can shrug off point blank large caliber rounds. These beasts aren't small and they're smart. Murder the gently caress out of them and use artillery if necessary.

Did not recall that detail. Russia really does ruin everything. :mad:

i will never apologize for murderpig chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rigel posted:

These aren't just hogs though, we're talking about roving hordes of carnivorous Texas murderpigs. This breed of swine is savage, ruthless, and deadly. We may need to consider allowing rocket launchers.

We do allow rocket launchers.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

evilweasel posted:

when we're talking "hunting rifles" bolt-action or the like as compared to semi-auto is the distinction that's being drawn, not the paint

This is utterly incorrect, as every "AWB" ever proposed or enacted has demonstrated. People see a wood stock and think "hunting rifle" and an all-black metal body as "assault weapon", even if they have the exact same firing mechanism. People, it turns out, are incredibly stupid.

Don't play games with things like "hunting rifle" vs "assault whatever", just talk about semi auto and how it's gamed into full-auto with poo poo like bump-stock and whatever grinder the vegas guy used.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cochise posted:

The breed that's causing the trouble was crossed with wild Russian hogs, so we're left with a hybrid that can shrug off point blank large caliber rounds. These beasts aren't small and they're smart. Murder the gently caress out of them and use artillery if necessary.

Texas does have a Boar issue, but I sincerely doubt they are shrugging off large caliber rounds.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Harik posted:

This is utterly incorrect, as every "AWB" ever proposed or enacted has demonstrated. People see a wood stock and think "hunting rifle" and an all-black metal body as "assault weapon", even if they have the exact same firing mechanism. People, it turns out, are incredibly stupid.

Don't play games with things like "hunting rifle" vs "assault whatever", just talk about semi auto and how it's gamed into full-auto with poo poo like bump-stock and whatever grinder the vegas guy used.

that is the distinction that we, the people using the term, are drawing and it is very obvious from the context and the repeated references to a bolt action rifle, in this online discussion. as literally none of us are the authors of the assault weapons ban, nor is that relevant to our point as generally we are seeking to categorically ban most guns while leaving a narrow exception for hunting rifles. given that context it's clear that we are not about to support allowing brown painted ar-15s

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

What the heck just leave the pigs alone. Out there in the swamp eating mud or w/e who cares

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

CommieGIR posted:

Texas does have a Boar issue, but I sincerely doubt they are shrugging off large caliber rounds.

Maybe they're not shrugging them off but if the legends are to be believed it pisses them off more than it slows them down.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rigel posted:

So.... a prominent pro-life Republican in congress had an affair and then asked his mistress to get an abortion?

lol

He doesn't meet with his constituents, but he could find a mistress? :confused:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Fraction Jackson posted:

You do know that stuff like this is self-evidently stupid, right?

Alcoholic drinks can lead to DUIs, but that isn't their purpose. Their purpose is to cause a specific set of feelings/state of mind. The object of drinking is not to actively harm anyone (except yourself since it causes health problems but that's neither here nor there). You can also cook with beer or wine or whatever.
:laffo: This is some grade-A shading right here. The "specific set of feelings/state of mind" alcohol is meant to cause is "judgement impaired." The entire point of alcoholic beverages is to get you recreationally hosed up, it has no redeeming social value whatsoever. And your right to tie one on has a staggeringly high socal cost: the NIH estimates that 88,000 people die from alcohol-related causes annually. In 2014, alcohol-impaired driving fatalities alone accounted for 9,967 deaths, more than all firearm homicides put together and an order of magnitude higher than the less than 300 people killed with AR-15s.

"But I might need cooking sherry! Guns for hunting? Totally different." is really the cherry on top.

Fraction Jackson posted:

A car can be used as a weapon, but it isn't built for that. Its general intended use is to not hit things but instead just to get you from point A to point B and to maybe help you carry some stuff.

Even a knife has plenty of uses that aren't related to causing violence - opening poo poo, chopping vegetables, whatever.

Guns are categorically different than almost anything else in that their intended purpose is exclusively to either cause harm to a living being or to be used in simulating the harm of a living being via target shooting. A gun is owned with the knowledge and expectation that it can and is designed to hurt someone. No one owns a gun to help them make dinner or fix the deck.
"Designers intent" is the strangest argument. Do you think that microwaves, rockets, and jet engines should be illegal for civilians to possess, having been developed as weapons technology? Conversely, if a knife was designed for chefs in the finest kitchens of Europe, is that distinction really important to you when someone is waving it in your face and demanding your wallet? If someone gets beat to death with a baseball bat, do you take solace in the fact that at least they weren't killed with a weapon?

Z. Autobahn posted:

Regulating the right to own a gun the way we regulate the right to drive would be a great start!
So, after a pro forma test, I can go and get a shall-issue license that lets me buy and carry any gun less than 10,000 lbs gross weight on public streets in all 50 states? Yeah, I'm down, especially it means mufflers are legal again.

You do know that most things people do with guns in public, like hunting and concealed carry and working as an armed guard, are already licensed by the state in most jurisdictions?

Ze Pollack posted:

that you view mass murders as the equivalent of crackin' open a cold one with the boys is shockingly explanatory
I'm more worried that your idea of "crackin' open a cold one with the boys" is the first thing you thought of when I brought up DUIs. :thunk:

Harik posted:

If a democrat proposes a gun law that's not "you must remove your hand from the trigger and operate a separate mechanism to fire another bullet" it's a bad gun law and accomplishes nothing but raising the profits of gun manufacturers.
I don't think you thought this through. "LEFT HANDED BOLT ACTIONS AND TOGGLE LOCKS AND ALL PUMP ACTIONS ARE ILLEGAL NOW, REEEEEE". If you go down this route, you end up like Australia, where whether or not a manually cycled gun can be operated too quickly to be legal is a matter of serious discussion.

evilweasel posted:

when we're talking "hunting rifles" bolt-action or the like as compared to semi-auto is the distinction that's being drawn, not the paint
The Mauser action most often used in bolt action rifles today was developed for the Gewehr 98 military rifle and continues to be used in many sniper rifles. You can't draw a neat distinction between military and civilian firearms.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/JohnAvlon/status/915348630365720576

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Rockopolis posted:

Is it reporting bias or something that makes it seem that despite widespread availability of firearms all we ever seem to get is pointless spree killings? Is it that by the time someone is in the right frame of mind to murder, they skip straight to spree killings? I'm always surprised that we don't have a commensurate amount of political and other kinds of purposeful violence to go with the semi-regular spree killings, like they're an outlier on the amounts of violence. Like, you never hear about people wasting their boss/landlord/bank/insurance or whatever has been tormenting them, just random strangers.
I'm pretty sure it's reporting bias, America has had like 47,000 shootings this year.

Gun Violence Archive posted:

Total Number of Incidents: 46,743
Number of Deaths: 11,699
Number of Injuries: 23,741

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 4, 2017

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

BirdOfPlay posted:

He doesn't meet with his constituents, but he could find a mistress? :confused:

Did you offer to give him a blow job? I bet you just wanted to talk about health care.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

I seem to recall a goon that did an ask/tell about hunting hogs and even did an interview before drones became big about using drones with IR cams to spot hogs.

He might have said it's easier to kill them with a giant gently caress off spear with a metal stopping bar near the middle. Apparently hogs still try to gore you even when they have a spear in them.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I dunno about easier. I think he was just into medieval technology for murdering animals.

That dude was the best.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Can someone explain or link me to something explaining the Puerto Rico situation? I glean my news from a diversity of sources and I'm having trouble because they're saying completely different things. My uncle knows a family on the southern coast who claim the US media is blowing it out of proportion to make trump look bad...but then you get the reports that make it sound like everyone inland is dying. If there is some sort of comprehensive evidence based reporting I'm missing, please point it out to me. I desperately want to believe we're doing right by these people.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask. If it matters, I'm not a trump supporter, though I thought his speech on the Vegas massacre was decent. Low bar probably

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't think you thought this through. "LEFT HANDED BOLT ACTIONS AND TOGGLE LOCKS AND ALL PUMP ACTIONS ARE ILLEGAL NOW, REEEEEE". If you go down this route, you end up like Australia, where whether or not a manually cycled gun can be operated too quickly to be legal is a matter of serious discussion.

I guess we'll have to ban all guns because lefties can use a right-handed bolt action illegally.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

The Mauser action most often used in bolt action rifles today was developed for the Gewehr 98 military rifle and continues to be used in many sniper rifles. You can't draw a neat distinction between military and civilian firearms.

what a stupid thing to say that you clearly thought was relevant for some idiot reason

did you know that hunting rifles can still be used to kill people?!?!?!?!?!?!

they are the type of weapon most ill-suited for the sorts of violence that we want to restrict and the best suited for the thin excuses to own a gun so they might be offered as a bone thrown to people who accept the need to regulate guns strictly but still want to hunt

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gowb posted:

Can someone explain or link me to something explaining the Puerto Rico situation? I glean my news from a diversity of sources and I'm having trouble because they're saying completely different things. My uncle knows a family on the southern coast who claim the US media is blowing it out of proportion to make trump look bad...but then you get the reports that make it sound like everyone inland is dying. If there is some sort of comprehensive evidence based reporting I'm missing, please point it out to me. I desperately want to believe we're doing right by these people.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask. If it matters, I'm not a trump supporter, though I thought his speech on the Vegas massacre was decent. Low bar probably

the island has no power and basically all infrastructure destroyed and we actually don't even know how bad it is because we can't get into the island and find out

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Oh no g*d forbid we be like australia, what a nightmare

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

evilweasel posted:

what a stupid thing to say that you clearly thought was relevant for some idiot reason

did you know that hunting rifles can still be used to kill people?!?!?!?!?!?!

they are the type of weapon most ill-suited for the sorts of violence that we want to restrict and the best suited for the thin excuses to own a gun so they might be offered as a bone thrown to people who accept the need to regulate guns strictly but still want to hunt
Yeah, but we all understand your argument is completely insincere. Even if your wildest dreams came true and all semi autos were rounded up and destroyed, next time someone climbed a clock tower smoked a bunch of people with a Remington 700, you'd be talking about the need to regulate these military style sniper rifles that fire powerful, military caliber bullets. You're not fooling anyone.

Also, the right to keep a gun for hunting purposes has never been litigated AFAIK and has not been held to be covered by the 2nd Amendment, so IDK why y'all are interested in it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Calibanibal posted:

Oh no g*d forbid we be like australia, what a nightmare

You think the murderboars in Texas are bad? Wait until the country gets invaded by murderboar-spiders.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, but we all understand your argument is completely insincere. Even if your wildest dreams came true and all semi autos were rounded up and destroyed, next time someone climbed a clock tower smoked a bunch of people with a Remington 700, you'd be talking about the need to regulate these military style sniper rifles that fire powerful, military caliber bullets. You're not fooling anyone.

Also, the right to keep a gun for hunting purposes has never been litigated AFAIK and has not been held to be covered by the 2nd Amendment, so IDK why y'all are interested in it.

of course they'd be regulated. they'd be strictly regulated. just legal.

but i don't care about your idiot opinion because you are one of those people who go "but you're lying and once we agree to reasonable things then you will demand unreasonable things, so i won't support preventing drunken toddlers from possessing fully automatic weapons because of my freedoms!!!!"

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

evilweasel posted:

but i don't care about your idiot opinion because you are one of those people who go "but you're lying and once we agree to reasonable things then you will demand unreasonable things, so i won't support preventing drunken toddlers from possessing fully automatic weapons because of my freedoms!!!!"

Big ole flaw here is that you frame any and all expansion of gun control as "reasonable."

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Dead Reckoning posted:

Big ole flaw here is that you frame any and all expansion of gun control as "reasonable."

When the current standard is largely "none" you look like an idiot saying this.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

evilweasel posted:

According to the movie "Lethal Weapon", people can be classified as lethal weapons, so what if after guns we start outlawing people? Checkmate, libs. :smug:

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008
Puerto Rico is suffering and people have/are dieing, some of it due to a slower response than there should have been. I think there is an expectation is that there are going to be significantly more deaths than have been reported so far and as much as the focus is on the deaths life is going to be very very hard for a long time for most people who lived or remain on the island.

The Trump administration, FEMA, whoever dropped the ball here for a while on the response and its unlikely from my position that Puerto Rico will get the continued support it needs to recover from Maria as it fades from public consciousness.

On another note I know a bunch of people are just stirring the pot on the Las Vegas shooting and the inevitable gun control debate it inspires but I really hope outside of silly discussions on hunting and pedantic clarifications on how guns actually work most of you guys aren't lost in the forest on this issue.

It won't satisfy you but I think its worth more than nothing to shoot a message to your reps contrasting their useless twitter prayers and their actual votes on gun control measures.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

According to the movie "Lethal Weapon", people can be classified as lethal weapons, so what if after guns we start outlawing people? Checkmate, libs. :smug:
I know you're being sarcastic, but more people die every year from bare handed beatings than AR-15s and AK-47s, so... maybe not as big a problem as they're made out to be?

RuanGacho posted:

When the current standard is largely "none" you look like an idiot saying this.
I'll be sure to tell my FFL he can stop calling the FBI prior to every transaction, because we don't have gun laws in this country. But of course none of those count, for some reason.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Remember kids, guns are an inalienable right that must not be infringed or limited by the government in any way because they're our last defense against government tyranny, also government agents have the unrestricted unquestionable right to summarily execute you at any time even if you're just peacefully sitting in a park as long as they say they thought you might have a gun.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

I can't think of a way the Dems could thoroughly gently caress themselves more quickly than to push a national ban on hunting with rifles. A lot of people in the middle would freak the gently caress out and run to the GOP. Its such a politically dangerous topic that even Pelosi quickly and emphatically insists that no one wants to get rid of hunting whenever gun control comes up for discussion.

So, this is not a thing.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

guns are bad, but they also bring us some good things

like this image:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Rigel posted:

I can't think of a way the Dems could thoroughly gently caress themselves more quickly than to push a national ban on hunting with rifles. A lot of people in the middle would freak the gently caress out and run to the GOP. Its such a politically dangerous topic that even Pelosi quickly and emphatically insists that no one wants to get rid of hunting whenever gun control comes up for discussion.

So, this is not a thing.
Right, so offering "you can keep the guns that we have deemed appropriate for hunting, why can't you agree to the rest of our ~reasonable~ demands?" as a sop, like it's some incredibly generous concession by those in favor of gun control, is hilarious and incredibly disingenuous.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I know you're being sarcastic, but more people die every year from bare handed beatings than AR-15s and AK-47s, so... maybe not as big a problem as they're made out to be?
I'll be sure to tell my FFL he can stop calling the FBI prior to every transaction, because we don't have gun laws in this country. But of course none of those count, for some reason.

i hope future president gavin newsom takes away every single one of your guns and melts them down in front of you

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gun control isn't possible in the US because it's the only country in the world where the concept of "hunting" exists.

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008

Instant Sunrise posted:

i hope future president gavin newsom takes away every single one of your guns and melts them down in front of you

He will probably blow his brains out before that has a chance to come to pass.

I hope people keep engaging him in good faith though, its a good conversation to have, he brings up thoughtful meritorious points.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

Right, so offering "you can keep the guns that we have deemed appropriate for hunting, why can't you agree to the rest of our ~reasonable~ demands?" as a sop, like it's some incredibly generous concession by those in favor of gun control, is hilarious and incredibly disingenuous.

you're not part of the conversation, you'd be bound and gagged and used as an ottoman for the conversation

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm glad to see we're at that point in the discussion where people admit that they want to ban guns partly to spite gun owners for wrongthink.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Banning guns would be good but they're far too intrinsic to too many voters' sense of self so we need to find another way.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm glad to see we're at that point in the discussion where people admit that they want to ban guns partly to spite gun owners for wrongthink.

Mostly just yours.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

no, you'd be bound gagged and used as an ottoman to avoid you interjecting nonsense

your guns would be confiscated because you personally clearly can't be trusted with anything more dangerous than a spork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

evilweasel posted:

no, you'd be bound gagged and used as an ottoman to avoid you interjecting nonsense

I would never allow my cat the disservice of loafing on DR. How dare you even suggest it.

• Locked thread