Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Fathis Munk posted:

They say that Hefner was aromantic, ie someone who isn't interested in romantic relationships. Like asexual, but pushed even further.

Those colors are the flags/colors they claimed for themselves.

The sexual and romantic spectra are two different, not necessarily related, scales. You can like sex but not romance, or you can like romance but not sex. I don't think "aromantic" counts as a sexual orientation, but I can understand why people might get sick of being asked "when are you going to settle down with someone?" Anyway, I don't really care how someone chooses to identify themselves as long as they're not abusive about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TinTower posted:

Seriously, queerplatonic just sounds like having a best friend.

Yeah, a lot of those just sound like ways to describe normal human interactions but with labels that define you and make you somehow different and unique, or something. I don't know. I'm probably just old and cranky.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hmm yeah the two being separate spectra makes sense, but looking at that definition I found, it doesn't seem to be the way they see it. Then again that definition was taken from a site mainly focused on asexuals, so that might be why.

Also to be clear, I'm not saying that being aromantic can't be a thing, I can totally imagine people not being really interested in romantic relationships, but as always I can't help but roll my eyes when they start adding "demi" and "grey" modifiers in front of it. It just becomes a weirdly precise way of describing something vague and general.

It's also as this poster says:

TinTower posted:

Seriously, queerplatonic just sounds like having a best friend.

In the end their very specific terms describe something that is experienced by a lot of people and I don't know if you really need to give it a name tag, especially since the definitions are always vague in the end.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, a lot of those just sound like ways to describe normal human interactions but with labels that define you and make you somehow different and unique, or something. I don't know. I'm probably just old and cranky.

Sometimes it seems like a roundabout way of attacking other folks in a way they can't be called out (because if you do you're oppressing them, you see). Literally the only people I personally know that use the terms 'demisexual' or 'sapiosexual' use them when talking negatively about someone else. "She slept with him after dating for only two weeks? Ew! I could never do that, I'm a demisexual." "You just like looking at men's butts. That's so shallow, but I guess I don't get it because I'm a sapiosexual."

I also see a lot of new orientations trotted out to excuse lovely behavior. Its not my fault I cheated, I'm poly! It's not my fault I forgot your birthday, I'm aromantic!

There's clearly a need to have terms for common experiences - crushes on people you just think are cool, being confused about how you feel about someone, etc. But do we have to round up every experience or milestone or feeling to an orientation?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If you want another datapoint anecdote, my wife identifies as demisexual and I've never heard her put anyone down wrt their sexuality

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
~~** APACHE ATTACK HELICOPTERS **~~

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I wrote a very mean spirited editorial in college aimed at our Romantic Minority group and they got really mad and tried to get me kicked off the paper. Somehow it got cited in the Wikipedia page for demiromantic.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Is a demisexual only attracted to half of a person?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Weatherman posted:

~~** APACHE ATTACK HELICOPTERS **~~

Pedophilia and hebephilia are both sexualities like homosexuality, bisexuality and other GSMs - and there will be a civil rights movement for them as well. I'd say that the liberation of pedophiles and hebephiles is inevitable.

Let's look at it from an objective standpoint - the arguments against homosexuality many decades ago, and the arguments against hebephilia today.

First and foremost, it is pretty much impossible to talk about this topic with anyone without getting emotions or insults involved - so I'd love to keep this civil as well. That's a thing though - both homosexuals and pedophiles are and were subject to strong societal aggression. People would shut up both of these groups with arguments like 'It's disgusting' or 'horrible', without trying to engage in a logical and rational discussion.

Now, look at the 'rational' arguments brought up against both of them.

Science treated both of these sexualities as mental illnesses - even today, there are therapies for both homosexuals and hebe-/pedophiles; both of which are regarded as harmful for everyone involved. Both times, the institutions responsible for these sometimes torturous therapies claimed to 'help' mentally ill people.

Also under this point I'd like to mention the argument of a 'non-fully developed brain' - which is quite stumbling to say the least, as countries with an age of consent of 16 or 14 or even 13 don't report negative impacts on the youth over there (Germany as an example); also, the brain does not stop developing at any time in one's life - at the age of 21, it merely is mature biologically.

The public voices of those actually affected by the sexuality are censored or illegalized. Both of that is apparent and obvious - though due to the dynamic in pedo- or hebephilic relationships, there are next to no accounts of the minors available. I'd like to refer you to a scientific website specifically for the accounts of proclaimed rape victims who fight against labelling their relationships as rape: link. No worries, it's safe and scientific.

'The Unnatural' somehow ties in with point one - but some people still argue homosexuality was a sin, or against nature, or any other higher power they can think of. I don't think I need to explain why this is bollocks.

Now,

now we have connected the main arguments against both of these together, it's apparent, if not obvious, that there will be a major civil uprising or civil rights movement in the future to liberate and/or decriminalize pedophilia and hebephilia. It sounded just as insane to people in a time period where homosexuality was something unspeakable.

Now, I am not trying to defend either pro- or contra-pedophile arguments in here, I just hope for a reasonable discussion without emotions or irrational namecalling getting in the way.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Only attracted to Demi Moore

E: fffffuuu, a shameful LoB-snipe

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

oh poo poo you mean i might be someone's fetish?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Reminder: My aunt is against black people kneeling in protest.

Translation: Shut the gently caress up about racial equality, because it is to blame for this incident because it's keeping us from all being one! PRAYERS, YO!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

Apparently demisexual is someone who only gets sexually attracted to people they like. Mind-blowing, I know

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
More specifically, sexual attraction to people they form an emotional connection with; precludes a lot of "meaningless" and/or "casual" sex.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah there's nothing really wacky or crazy about these terms other than they're relatively new. They're simply codifying things that have existed but never really had terms or communities before.

You can find them silly, but for some people it's nice to know, for example, that being asexual or aromantic isn't freaky and that there are folks out there with similar experiences, and hey there's even a word for it, which goes a long way towards normalising it

And yeah some people like to collect labels to be The Most Unique but they're by far the exception

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

jivjov posted:

If you want another datapoint anecdote, my wife identifies as demisexual and I've never heard her put anyone down wrt their sexuality

More like identifies as a homo! LOL, she likes dudes, bro.

Pffft, gaaaayyyy.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
If the labels help people feel less weird about how they go about their sexual lives more power to them.

One time I met this girl who said she was an asexual and even had a blog about it to teach people what being an asexual person was about. Then a mutual friend told me she had sex with him and almost everyone on his circle of friends, male or female. I think she might have been a bit confused about that label.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

nerdz posted:

If the labels help people feel less weird about how they go about their sexual lives more power to them.

One time I met this girl who said she was an asexual and even had a blog about it to teach people what being an asexual person was about. Then a mutual friend told me she had sex with him and almost everyone on his circle of friends, male or female. I think she might have been a bit confused about that label.

No no. You misheard. She was “a sexual” person, not asexual person.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

nerdz posted:

I have a friend who says he's asexual and made a whole facebook post about how asexual people can sometimes still want to have sex

:confused:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
So where does the "demi-" come from. What is being halved?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

"Asexual" sounds like undiagnosed depression to me.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bertrand Hustle posted:

In Gematria, or Occult Numerology, numbers are added together until they reduce to a single digit number of 1-9. I couldn't help but see some disturbing numerological patterns in regards to the mass shooting that happened yesterday.

10/01/2017
The gematria reduction of this date is as follows:

1+0 = 1
0+1 = 1
2+0+1+7 = 10 ---> 1+0 = 1
So by reducing we arrive at 1 + 1 + 1 = 3

3 is the number of the Triune Consciousness or the true Trinity - The Sacred Masculine (Thought), the Divine Feminine (Emotion) and the Divine Child (Action). To be unified in these three aspects of our consciousness is to embody the perfect union of our higher soul aspect. An attack on this number is an assault on the unfolding of higher consciousness.

The shooter, Stephen Paddock, was 64 years old and they found 10 assault rifles in his room after he took his own life. He opened fire at 10:08 PM on a concert that was taking place as part of the Route 91 Music Festival.

6+4 = 10
9+1 = 10
10 rifles
10 PM

The number 10 itself is deeply spiritually significant and represents the perfect union of Masculine (1, the phallus) and Feminine (0, the egg) energies. 10 is the sum of the sacred numbers 3 and 7.

Paddock was shooting from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel. This hearkens to the 33 degrees of esoteric Freemasonry, with the 33rd degree being the highest of the acknowledged degrees. 33 degrees in Fahrenheit is the temperature at which water thaws from frozen ice to liquid. This represents the thawing or de-calcifying of one's consciousness. The 33rd degree is the degree of ascended consciousness. The 32nd degree is comes just short of that. Occultists use the number 32 to represent the failure of the attainment of enlightened consciousness. You only ever got so far but could never reach the gold mine. So we see the Failure to Reach Enlightenment attacking the Attainment of Enlightenment.

I just woke up and read the news and this was my cursory analysis of the numbers involved so far. My heart goes out to the victims and their families. We all deserve to know the truth that is being played out on the chessboard of our current human condition. I am eager to hear the IoSM community weigh in on this possible false flag event.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Byzantine posted:

So where does the "demi-" come from. What is being halved?

The amount of sex they want compared to those normie sluts who just wanna bang all the time.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Lacking a libido is a fairly uncommon genetic defect, but it has cropped up every now and then throughout history. Genetically, the problem solves itself really, though sometimes societal factors mean it's carried forward to future generations.

I'm told its not a terrible way to live. Lots of times for hobbies.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Lacking a libido is a fairly uncommon genetic defect, but it has cropped up every now and then throughout history. Genetically, the problem solves itself really, though sometimes societal factors mean it's carried forward to future generations.

I'm told its not a terrible way to live. Lots of times for hobbies.

Can be replicated by taking high blood pressure medication and Zoloft from my experience.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

nerdz posted:

"I enjoy sex" and "I am not sexually attracted to anyone" aren't mutually exclusive. It sounds like she liked sex but her partners were pretty much interchangeable as long as they satisfied her.

Toys For Twats
Sep 30, 2007
One awesome dude
Alternatively, all this asexual, demiromantic poo poo is nonsense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Toys For Twats posted:

Alternatively, all this asexual, demiromantic poo poo is nonsense.

Not really.

They are clearly defined terms. I guess you could argue it's to technical but at that point you are just old man yelling at clouds.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ramirez! Lay down suppressing fire on that hotel!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The shooter, Stephen Paddock, was 64 years old and they found 10 assault rifles in his room after he took his own life. He opened fire at 10:08 PM on a concert that was taking place as part of the Route 91 Music Festival.

6+4 = 10
9+1 = 10
10 rifles
10 PM

The number 10 itself is deeply spiritually significant and represents the perfect union of Masculine (1, the phallus) and Feminine (0, the egg) energies. 10 is the sum of the sacred numbers 3 and 7.

I love how they completely ignore half of the number to make this fit into their ridiculous numerology system.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

22,000 people at a country music festival and not a single true patriot amongst them. Sad!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Ah yes, the only way to stop a bad guy shooting into a large crowd of people is to have a good guy fire wildly at a populated building.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Garrand posted:

Ah yes, the only way to stop a bad guy shooting into a large crowd of people is to have a good guy fire wildly at a populated building.

Obviously the educated patriots in the hotel would lay down their own suppressing fire so they don't get hit.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

SpacePig posted:

In a fun and not at all surprising twist, my anti-vax flat earth cousin-in-law also believes that the Vegas shooting was a hoax! He's deleted the post that actually used the word "hoax", but this one is still up:

People who believe that the government is some sinister cabal that's somehow still too cowardly to actually kill people are the dumbest conspiracy theorists.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Geez, the criteria to be a true American patriot just keeps getting more and more specific.

I wonder how all the people who got shot at feel about Keyboard Warriors questioning their patriotism by not carrying a loving sniper rifle with them to a fun night out with friends.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
"So that's 4 beers, and a coke?"

"Yeah, I can't drink tonight, I'm the designated sniper. :)"

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

BioEnchanted posted:

"So that's 4 beers, and a coke?"

"Yeah, I can't drink tonight, I'm the designated sniper. :)"

Designated marksman :jihad:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I wanted to fit the cadence of "designated driver".

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Away all Goats posted:

Ramirez! Lay down suppressing fire on that hotel!

Wouldn't it have been really hard to even tell where the shots were coming from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I mean, just because you've spent 2500 hours playing COD this year and you can 360 no scope someone from a mile away doesn't mean it happens that way in real life.