Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Stewart's such a great actor. I really believe he was just passed out a few seconds ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGGEymAXD7s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Powered Descent posted:

Lwaxana, when the dress fell.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

That episode is a goddamn war crime. Somebody shoulda gone to The Hague for it.

The Worf on Risa one? Worf should've! He supports a loving revolution on a Federation planet, why the hell is he still in Starfleet.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Astroman posted:

Because the future of television is apparently instead of paying $50 for internet and $50 for cable, you'll pay $50 for internet and $100 for 10 different services, each with a small and shifting amount of various tv shows and movies including partial back seasons to encourage you to buy them by the episode.

Take THAT "Cord Cutters." :smug:

I think the only way to really hurt piracy is to make a legal alternative that's more convenient. No one likes ads and most companies won't or can't give them up. But for every Netflix there's a CBS All Access. No, you see, you pay the extra money for the plane ticket so we stop kicking your seat. What are the alternatives to advertising?

Not that I pirate...or advocate piracy. Cause I don't. Just saying.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Continuing the early-versions-of-starships thing from a few hours ago, here's an early concept for what became the Kelvin in the 2009 movie, still called the USS Iowa:

Found on http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Kelvin

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Even though that was one of the worst episodes ever I personally consider it my best livepost ever. Also

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I miss goo and slime. It was so much more common in this era.

The X-Files, Men in Black, the Power Rangers movie, Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters, the Super Mario Bros. movie, Fern Gully, Captain Planet, obviously Nickelodeon Gak, countless others. Now all we've got is the black goo from Promethus. Bring back slime.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Okay I guess there's one other piece of good slime from the past few years: https://soundcloud.com/alvin-thechipmunkson16sp/heaven-is-a-place-on-earth

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Even though that was one of the worst episodes ever I personally consider it my best livepost ever. Also

The X-Files, Men in Black, the Power Rangers movie, Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters, the Super Mario Bros. movie, Fern Gully, Captain Planet, obviously Nickelodeon Gak, countless others. Now all we've got is the black goo from Promethus. Bring back slime.

Force Sam Raimi to make everything

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Continuing the early-versions-of-starships thing from a few hours ago, here's an early concept for what became the Kelvin in the 2009 movie, still called the USS Iowa:

Found on http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Kelvin

They should've had a Kelvin class show up at the Battle of the Binary.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT THE gently caress "THE HIGHER, THE FEWER" MEANS?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

WampaLord posted:

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT THE gently caress "THE HIGHER, THE FEWER" MEANS?

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/rec.arts.startrek.current/HgcBS_l7mfw

Orv
May 4, 2011

WampaLord posted:

It means that children are easily influenced, especially when their father is a walking atrocity of a person.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Do Android Penises Dream of Electric Condoms?
From the tasteless tattoos thread

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
So I finished season 3 of Enterprise. It was pretty good! People kept saying so, but I was skeptical, especially after just slogging through all of Voyager and then those first two seasons of ENT. But, like, pretty good stuff. Definitely some recycled ideas, but we're talking about 16 years of uninterrupted (and sometimes overlapping) Star Trek on TV at that point.

I started season 4, and holy poo poo this is dumb. Is this whole season just a huge nosedive? Seems like Brannon Braga's really boring, nonsensical, surface-level fascination with time travel is just going to torpedo this whole thing.

When the Discovery people really give up and want to hasten the show's ruination, they should just have Daniels show up. Season finale cliffhanger of his smug rear end being like "Temporal Cold War," those fateful three words that someone thought sounded cool together.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

You are aware that Netflix has announced that they're explicitly planning on continuing to reduce the amount of content they license from others, right? Netflix is hemorrhaging non-original content.

In a few years, outside of documentaries and obscure ultra-cheap poo poo, Netflix might well be just another cable channel that just doesn't happen to be on cable.

Except netflix has lots of original content that I might want to watch. CBS (or hell, most of the major networks) does not.

Anyways, CBS doesn't care about actual subscriber numbers that much, at least, not retention. All-Access exists for one reason alone, to serve as a bargaining chip during carriage agreement negotiations. When CBS affiliates go back and re-negotiate the carriage agreements with cable companies, they now have a hard number to point at and say "people are willing to spend 'x' dollars a month for our content, you should pay us more based on this." So, while your cable company today might pay $1.50 per subscriber to carry a CBS affiliate, now they have data that says people value their content at $5.99 per month.

Carriage agreements are set to pass advertising for a network's revenue very soon. That's one of the reasons why there have been more and more disputes between cable companies and networks that lead to channels being dropped for a period. Everyone wants to be paid ESPN money for their suite of channels.

They are also playing a dangerous game though by potentially trying to push people to these services because if people adopt them wholesale and cancel more cable, they are also likely only going to sub to these services as long as there's something new for them to watch.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Wikipedia Brown posted:

So I finished season 3 of Enterprise. It was pretty good! People kept saying so, but I was skeptical, especially after just slogging through all of Voyager and then those first two seasons of ENT. But, like, pretty good stuff. Definitely some recycled ideas, but we're talking about 16 years of uninterrupted (and sometimes overlapping) Star Trek on TV at that point.

I started season 4, and holy poo poo this is dumb. Is this whole season just a huge nosedive? Seems like Brannon Braga's really boring, nonsensical, surface-level fascination with time travel is just going to torpedo this whole thing.

When the Discovery people really give up and want to hasten the show's ruination, they should just have Daniels show up. Season finale cliffhanger of his smug rear end being like "Temporal Cold War," those fateful three words that someone thought sounded cool together.

Season 4 is pretty much all fanservice and callbacks to trek lore. Some of it is pretty fun.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

CrimsonAuthor posted:

Season 4 is pretty much all fanservice and callbacks to trek lore. Some of it is pretty fun.

I can get behind that.

I'm guessing the show is canceled before they establish the Federation, which is too bad. There are some promising gestures in that direction in season 3, and it would have been dope to have that happen in televised Trek.

Like, it would have been an actual worthwhile payoff for going with the whole prequel conceit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Season 4 is the best season, but Braga left a huge turd behind for the next guy. That season ender is a fuckin disaster.

It's like it was guest written by Russell Davies.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is season 4 the one where Bobby Bacala fights the reptilian space Nazis? That was definitely one of the best bits of Enterprise, it's a shame there wasn't more of that sort of thing in the otherwise tedious Temporal Cold War storyline.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Oh, the two-parter at the start of season 4 is basically the B&B legacy making GBS threads everywhere. Manny Coto took over in Season 4, but B&B left him a huge turd to deal with with the S3 cliffhanger. It improves dramatically after that's out of the way.

Until the finale, when Berman steps back in to crap all over the show again.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MikeJF posted:

Oh, the two-parter at the start of season 4 is basically the B&B legacy making GBS threads everywhere. Manny Coto took over in Season 4, but B&B left him a huge turd to deal with with the S3 cliffhanger. It improves dramatically after that's out of the way.

Until the finale, when Berman steps back in to crap all over the show again.

The two parter just before the series finale is the actual series finale for me, as it ties a nice bow thematically on the series. I just ignore the weird B&B penned fever dream after that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Has anyone intercut the finale with the episode of TNG it takes place during?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

MikeJF posted:

They should've had a Kelvin class show up at the Battle of the Binary.

They should have had a ship from one from the alternate timelines where Guinan teams up with Data's head from nineteenth century San Francisco.

The dream team.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

The two parter just before the series finale is the actual series finale for me, as it ties a nice bow thematically on the series.

Might you say that the final episode breaking that bow brings the series full circle?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It sucks that the show sets up the Earth/Romulan War and then ends before they could do it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

Except netflix has lots of original content that I might want to watch. CBS (or hell, most of the major networks) does not.

I'm not saying there's nothing worthwhile left on Netflix, I'm just saying the days of "why bother with $service when everything's on Netflix :buddy:" are already pretty much over.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Has anyone intercut the finale with the episode of TNG it takes place during?

"Hey Riker, are you OK? It looks like you just gained 10 kg and aged twenty years for a couple of days all of a sudden."

EDIT: Man, imagine how hilarious it would be if they had gotten Terry O'Quinn as well. "Also Admiral Pressman has suddenly gone bald and keeps babbling about 'going back to the Island'!"

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 4, 2017

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Yeah that was my feeling when I did a watch of Enterprise- season 3 seemed to finally get the show going somewhere, and then they give you the lead in to season 4 and you're like holy poo poo they're insane.

But as everyone's said- Coto makes that big turd B&B left behind as fun as he can, and in general season for 4 is really overall good. It's a great mix of campy TOS goofy adventures with Enterprise finally realizing it has some compelling stories all its own to tell and they didn't need a time war or mysterious 9/11 aliens to make it happen.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There was a gazorra edit that used clips of Troi and Riker eating ice cream, then from the Enterprise episode and then played training montage music to clips of them running down corridors and exercising to get back to normal weight, but I can't find it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I recall reading, around the time Enterprise season 3 aired, that there was a script with Archer dying at the end and everyone else getting home safe with no last-minute time-traveling Nazi plot twist. It was either one of those fake things they leaked to throw people off the scent, or the actual series finale before they got renewed. Or maybe both.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm not saying there's nothing worthwhile left on Netflix, I'm just saying the days of "why bother with $service when everything's on Netflix :buddy:" are already pretty much over.

In my fantasy universe, every network channel bundle would be available as a Channels add on for Amazon with ad free as a premium add-on.

Then I would just add bundles as show seasons finished up and drop them afterwards. In some cases, I would likely keep the channel bundle all the time. I could see keeping an NBCU channel package around for Syfy alone.

Basically, just replicate for other channels what's been done for Showtime, Starz, HBO, and Cinemax.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
[quote="“Sir Lemming”" post="“477045860”"]
I recall reading, around the time Enterprise season 3 aired, that there was a script with Archer dying at the end and everyone else getting home safe with no last-minute time-traveling Nazi plot twist. It was either one of those fake things they leaked to throw people off the scent, or the actual series finale before they got renewed. Or maybe both.
[/quote]

I remember that, and I think that might have been the plan because it was looking almost certain Enterprise was going to be axed at the end of season 3. I remember it being a somewhat minor miracle it got renewed, and I think B&B had to throw together whatever poo poo cliffhanger they could think of in a panic.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

HD DAD posted:

I remember that, and I think that might have been the plan because it was looking almost certain Enterprise was going to be axed at the end of season 3. I remember it being a somewhat minor miracle it got renewed, and I think B&B had to throw together whatever poo poo cliffhanger they could think of in a panic.

That explains a lot. I never understood why they went to the bother of wrapping up the season-long arc story only for it to suddenly turn into a cliffhanger for a totally different story in the closing seconds.

"Well it took us a year, but we defeated the Xindi and saved Earth. Now let's go and celebrate!"
"Sir, sensors are picking up SPACE NAZIS"
"Wow, I honestly thought they'd wait until the next episode. I haven't even sat down yet. My clothes are still on fire. Oh well, time to kick some Nazi rear end!"
TO BE CONTINUED...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

season 3 seemed to finally get the show going somewhere

The Mesopotamian Expanse

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Trip report: DS9 season 6, episode 9 "Statistical Probabilities"

Someone read Asimov before writing this one. Bashir and the other augments are climate change dogmatists btw.

I never liked that episode. It's all "Yes, the MATH is against us but we have HEART on our side!" That was was pretty anti-intellectual. In the real world, they should have taken that deal. Screw gambling with people's lives.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 4, 2017

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AceOfFlames posted:

I never liked that episode. It's all "Yes, the MATH is against us but we have HEART on our side!" That was was pretty anti-intellectual. In the real world, they should have taken that deal. Screw gambling with people's lives.

So, as soon as any aggressor arises, roll over and quit? Even if they plan on putting you at the receiving end of genocide?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

We don't fight the Dominion because we can win, we fight the Dominion because it is the Dominion

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sash! posted:

So, as soon as any aggressor arises, roll over and quit? Even if they plan on putting you at the receiving end of genocide?

If it's either that or ''total'' extermination, as what the geniuses said, sure.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'd rather die a free man than live with a Jem'Hadar boot on my throat! *spits*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

The Worf on Risa one? Worf should've! He supports a loving revolution on a Federation planet, why the hell is he still in Starfleet.

No, the Lwaxana-Alexander mudbath one. Majel Barrett should have answered for her crimes!