Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Merry Pixel Day Eve, thread

Im actually looking forward to reviews on the new pixel. Not a fan of that orange button on them or the dual tone back but thats nothing a good case cant fix.

Anyone know of any apps to detect battery vampire apps that dont show on the battery usage meter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

I've yet to find a swiping keyboard with high accuracy. I don't think I'm being horrible with my inputs but they really make me wonder...

I just want a swipe keyboard that knows what to do with hyphenation. I can type out tshirt and noone with SwiftKey and it'll give me t-shirt and no-one as options, but try swiping those words and it draws a complete blank.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I just want a swipe keyboard that knows what to do with hyphenation. I can type out tshirt and noone with SwiftKey and it'll give me t-shirt and no-one as options, but try swiping those words and it draws a complete blank.

"no one" shouldn't be hyphenated anyway so it's helping you out.

Swype has never given me any trouble with oddball words.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Gsmarena is saying no IP rating for the 2 XL

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Incessant Excess posted:

Gsmarena is saying no IP rating for the 2 XL

None at all? That doesn't make any sense, it must at least be slightly dust/water resistant, just maybe not to IP67.

How did they possibly get the idea to make a phone lacking a feature that every other phone has had for a year or so?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
"Dust and water resistance are still basic, there’s no IP rating."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Pixel 2 XL is made of delicious sugar, but there were some tradeoffs to this clearly otherwise superior design such as a complete lack of waterproofing and a tendency to attract wasps.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Why would they remove the headphone jack if not for water-resistance purposes?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
If that's accurate I'm out til the Pixel 3. Or unless they want to cut a few quid off the price. Bullshit to expect goons to pay top sterling for hardware that pales in many ways to the competition, even if the software is nice.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So how much larger will an XL 2 be than an Nexus 6p? Since I have the latter.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

So how much larger will an XL 2 be than an Nexus 6p? Since I have the latter.

Supposedly it's the same physical dimensions as the XL 1, so marginally smaller than the 6p.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Courage?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

At this point I'm not even sure what the tangible improvements are. A new Snapdragon chip I guess?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Why for gently caress-you purposes, of course.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Holy poo poo, that price and no IP rating? Really? What in the almighty Christ? The V30 has IP68, too.

Also, a lot of people were bitching Google out for no IP rating the last time, given that Android phones with it were showing up, and Apple's show pony was also boasting about it. They have no excuse for ignoring it with this round of Pixels.

--edit:
How true is the GSMArena specs leak, anyway? It lists an RGB notification LED for the XL.

--edit2:
And how do preorders in the Google Store work? If I make one and then switch credit cards, the new one will get booked? I'm in midsts of switching banks (here in Europe cards are tied to accounts).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 4, 2017

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:munch:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The Gunslinger posted:

At this point I'm not even sure what the tangible improvements are. A new Snapdragon chip I guess?

I think one of the rumors is that the Pixel 2 will also have some kind of dedicated image processing chip that would make the camera better in some way?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

grimcreaper posted:

Yeah, its not like those 3 days probates for saying Samsung is the best manufacturer of phones or something.

If you think thats why you were probated, and you're still holding a grudge over it from months ago, there's no hope for you and you should get off the internet train.

(Samsung probably is the best manufacturer of Android phones, so why would I probate you for saying that)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Incessant Excess posted:

I think one of the rumors is that the Pixel 2 will also have some kind of dedicated image processing chip that would make the camera better in some way?

Pretty sure Google always used their own solution instead of relying on the Snapdragon built-in functions for this in recent years.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Samsung probably is the best manufacturer of Android phones

MOOOOODS! This type of filth is unwarranted in this forum and this thread!!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

(Samsung probably is the best manufacturer of Android phones, so why would I probate you for saying that)

Sorry but I think you're going to have to eat a sixer for this blasphemy.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

sleepwalkers posted:

MOOOOODS! This type of filth is unwarranted in this forum and this thread!!

Everyone has moods, don't call me out!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thermopyle posted:

yeah and oneplus comes in with a close second

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Google handles all support for the Pixels regardless of where you buy them from, right? Buying a 5X off of Newegg was one of the worst tech decisions of my life.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Twerk from Home posted:

Google handles all support for the Pixels regardless of where you buy them from, right? Buying a 5X off of Newegg was one of the worst tech decisions of my life.

:shrug: maybe they'll end up offloading the inevitably high cost of handling support/replacement for the P2XL.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

yeah and oneplus comes in with a close second

Hmm, I'm not sure about this.

WRT to Samsung I'd just like to point out that there's a difference between manufacturing a phone and writing software for it.

On the other hand, there's lots of poo poo-tier manufacturers that haven't shipped a bomb disguised as a phone, so I guess I'm not as confident about my assertions on Samsung's manufacturing prowess as I first let on.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Thermopyle posted:

Everyone has moods, don't call me out!

Motomoods

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Decius posted:

Pretty sure Google always used their own solution instead of relying on the Snapdragon built-in functions for this in recent years.

This is what I'm referring to, again from GSMArena:

"The “Pixel Visual Core” caught our attention, though. Rumors suggest that Google has created a special chip to do image processing, going beyond the HDR+, which runs on Qualcomm’s IPS."

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I mean, hardware wise, Samsungs are probably one of the most consistently well manufactured phones from a hardware perspective, exploding Notes aside. Where things get muddy is when Samsung insists on making GBS threads up their phones with their lousy UI and apps.

To put it this way: If Samsung made a flagship Android One phone that came AOSP with none of the Samsung ecosystem bullshit. I would probably buy and use that phone without a second thought.

Twerk from Home posted:

Don't quote me on this but I think you have to specifically buy it from Google otherwise you deal with your wireless carrier (if you buy it through Verizon) or with HTC/LG (If you buy it from Amazon or Best Buy)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DeathSandwich posted:

Don't quote me on this but I think you have to specifically buy it from Google otherwise you deal with your wireless carrier (if you buy it through Verizon) or with HTC/LG (If you buy it from Amazon or Best Buy)

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. The only thing worse than dealing with a wireless carrier is dealing with HTC or LG.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

With Project Treble and its work on the HAL, it's not inconceivable that in a year or so it will be trivial to load any device with Android software without fear that half the poo poo will be broken. Of course you'll still have to rely on *~69WEEDGOKU420*~ to cook up the package over at xda and you'll break everything that requires secure boot, but it should work flawlessly.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
As an iPhone user most likely moving to Android, I don't care about:

-water resistance (I've only had iPhones through the 6s)
-removable batteries
-removable sd cards
-wireless charging

I care about:

-getting a larger screen
-taking good photos

Maybe Google made the Pixel series for people like me?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Why don't we all wait for 6 hours and get all the details before any freak outs commence?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TheWevel posted:

As an iPhone user most likely moving to Android, I don't care about :

-removable batteries
-removable sd cards
-wireless charging

I care about :

-getting a larger screen
-taking good photos

Yes, the Pixel has always been solely about iPhone conquests. I mean, it couldn't have been about anything else since that would've driven Samsung out of the Android ecosystem entirely. The idea was "all those people who tried a Galaxy and found it poo poo aren't coming back. If we're going to make hardware, let's make it for those people" since, obviously, Google already gets all the data from Galaxy owners already.

The idea was always to grow the ecosystem, not to compete with their partners over a pie of a static size.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Having used their newest version of their UI for some time now: It's not bad. It has actually some very neat ideas I'd love to see in Vanilla (sliding away the button bar, their Internet browser, secure folder, designated sound output per App, the Bixby voice controls...).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TheWevel posted:

-removable batteries
-removable sd cards
-wireless charging

I care about :

-getting a larger screen
-taking good photos

Yeah probably because the pixel camera is drat impressive

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 4, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Why don't we all wait for 6 hours and get all the details before any freak outs commence?

gently caress that noise

Decius posted:

Having used their newest version of their UI for some time now: It's not bad. It has actually some very neat ideas I'd love to see in Vanilla (sliding away the button bar, their Internet browser, secure folder, designated sound output per App, the Bixby voice controls...).

Yes, in their software Samsung has lots of good ideas mixed in with lots of bad ideas.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Decius posted:

I seem to remember reading somewhere where they talked about how that's exactly what they wanted out of OEMs, to develop ideas that can and should make it into the "stock" Android software. The stuff Samsung did with the home button is really cool and that's the one feature they should steal soon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

Yes, the Pixel has always been solely about iPhone conquests. I mean, it couldn't have been about anything else since that would've driven Samsung out of the Android ecosystem entirely. The idea was "all those people who tried a Galaxy and found it poo poo aren't coming back. If we're going to make hardware, let's make it for those people" since, obviously, Google already gets all the data from Galaxy owners already.

The idea was always to grow the ecosystem, not to compete with their partners over a pie of a static size.

I can say with a high degree of certainty that if my only choice for high end flagship was Samsung, I would likely jump to Apple. I have owned and still own Samsung products and I absolutely could not use their software on something I use as often as my phone. It's a complete non-starter to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

TheWevel posted:

-removable batteries
-removable sd cards
-wireless charging

I care about :

-getting a larger screen
-taking good photos

I mean, if all you care about is large screen + good camera. There's half a dozen flagships out there that already do that and have been out for up to the last year. Pixel 1 XL, HTC U11 (same screen size as the pixel at 5.5 inches), Sony Xperia XZ Premium (5.46 inch screen), and any of the Samsung Galaxy 8 line (S8+ is 6.2 inch display, Note 8 is 6.3 inch) all have good to great cameras and all of them have some not-insignificant downsides to them that aren't directly related to either the camera or the display.