Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Sarrisan posted:

I never played WoW, but aggro isnt something you really need to pay attention to once you learn the gist of how it works.

Your tanks are Paladin, Warrior and Dark Knight.

Paladin is a generic sword and board; they get more group-defensive skills than the other tanks, in exchange for being a snoozefest to play until level 60.

Warrior is the axe-maniac - rotation eventually revolves around building up high damage burst phases and lettings things go wild. Lacking in group-utility abilities atm (This will change in the new patch) but is also the beefiest maintank in the game.

Dark Knight is the coolest, obv. A relatively simple rotation is made more interesting by having a whole lot of buttons to be pushing at all times, so it feels very active. Revolves around managing your MP instead of TP like the other tanks.

you certainly do need to pay attention to it if you're trying to min/max. Aggro management is a thing you have to look at constantly while doing savage fights.

As for the diff between wow and ffxiv. I tank both at high end levels (on o4s in ffxiv as a pld and working on desolate host mythic as a druid tank). Like wow a tanks dps rotation is brain dead to do good dps(pld at least). The difference between the two though is you have a bit more cool downs to watch for in ffxiv and wanting to go full dps mode means you might lose aggro possibly where as in wow that will never happen. Also you don't have boss mods telling you what to do for all the mechanics in ffxiv, so if you have a good memory it will be easy as everything is timed and happens in the same order every time.

I would say tanking in this game is a bit easier outside of min/maxing your dps/threat balance which is the only complicated part. In wow you have to move bosses quite a bit and pick up adds occasionally which adds to the complexity a bit. Also you could be murdered pretty quick in wow, where as ffxiv it takes a bit.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

A major difference between tanking in WoW and tanking in FFXIV is that the whole "active mitigation" thing that WoW has going is nearly completely absent in FFXIV - your main rotation is for holding threat and doing damage, with most attacks having little to no defensive value. You also don't have any of the "40% damage reduction for 6 seconds on a 14 second cooldown" style abilities (though I guess that one blocking ability PLD gets is kinda similar)

To put it simply - like with most other roles, tanking in WoW is more reflex based while FFXIV tanking is more about planning. This is a good thing, since FFXIV's engine doesn't really lend itself very well to split second reflex stuff beyond big "oh poo poo button" defensive cooldowns.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Zinkraptor posted:

.You also don't have any of the "40% damage reduction for 6 seconds on a 14 second cooldown" style abilities (though I guess that one blocking ability PLD gets is kinda similar)

Warrior has Inner Beast and DRK has Blackest Night, so everyone has one "low cooldown, low duration, high mitigation" button.

I will agree that it's not as important or complicated as it is in WoW though. You don't really have to manage it like you do for WoW's active mitigation classes.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

you certainly do need to pay attention to it if you're trying to min/max. Aggro management is a thing you have to look at constantly while doing savage fights.

It does take some measure of attention, I'll admit, but if you have a co-tank working with you (And you should if you are doing end-game fights) then shirk makes it pretty trivial still. I think the only fight I even think about aggro beyond the first 2 minutes of a fight is NED.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Sarrisan posted:

It does take some measure of attention, I'll admit, but if you have a co-tank working with you (And you should if you are doing end-game fights) then shirk makes it pretty trivial still. I think the only fight I even think about aggro beyond the first 2 minutes of a fight is NED.

I worry about it on o1 and o3 until a few shirks have gone off then I'm good. But before that my sam and monk are riding me within 100k and we have no ninja. NED is actually the most relaxing one cause you only need aggro at specific points so I can just ignore it until they pop up. It's amazing how much more comfortable that fight became once I figured it out. Now we just need to get omega down.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've had aggro worries in Lakshmi Extreme as off-tank. If the main tank is in a DPS stance, it's hard to thread the needle, so to speak, as you have to stay between their enmity and the top DPS' enmity, which isn't always a huge margin.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

I've had aggro worries in Lakshmi Extreme as off-tank. If the main tank is in a DPS stance, it's hard to thread the needle, so to speak, as you have to stay between their enmity and the top DPS' enmity, which isn't always a huge margin.

Do a full shirk exchange instead of a half shirk exchange and that should keep you far enough in the lead.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

All you have to do for this is use provoke sometime before the offtank cleave goes out.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

I worry about it on o1 and o3 until a few shirks have gone off then I'm good. But before that my sam and monk are riding me within 100k and we have no ninja. NED is actually the most relaxing one cause you only need aggro at specific points so I can just ignore it until they pop up. It's amazing how much more comfortable that fight became once I figured it out. Now we just need to get omega down.

Read: the worst possible situation to be in as a tank. fuckin RIP lol

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Holyshoot posted:

This, co-tanks that don't know how to Voke/Shirk, and the massive WHM aggro in O4S are what ultimately drove me to make a second WAR opener that begins with the aggro combo. Even using both my self-heals and a free Onslaught, it just wasn't enough. I occasionally have to dip back into Defiance for a Butcher's Block between Berserks (which costs me a Fell Cleave from that lost 10 beast gauge! :argh:).

The O4S Neo pull in particular is awful because even with the aggro-boosting opener, a WHM will have a godawful habit of passing me in aggro at the exact moment Thunders go out. :shepicide: I often need to hammer it into the co-tank's skull that his Provoke will be back up in time if he Voke/Shirk's me at the start of the fight, as most of them mistakenly think it won't. (And it's a lesson I really wish they'd learn, because it lets the WHM save their Lucid Dreaming.)

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 4, 2017

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I'm just glad I have ACT telling me numbers. Don't think I'd be playing at my optimal level if I didn't have them. And my hats off to anyone who can thread the threat needle using SE's garbage threat meter of bars.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I have the threat meter enabled but I have no loving idea where it actually is on the HUD :psyduck:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bolow posted:

I have the threat meter enabled but I have no loving idea where it actually is on the HUD :psyduck:

It's the little bars under the job icons on the party list.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
When you have an enemy targeted, the threat meter is on the job icons in the party list. It's really tiny.

Also, there's an aggro list, but it's mostly poo poo because it updates once every 3 seconds or so. Green bubble means <75% threat, orange triangle means >75%, red square means you have aggro, IIRC.

Also,

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

What the gently caress is that a threat meter for ants?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bolow posted:

What the gently caress is that a threat meter for ants?

Compared to how huge and obtrusive most of the UI elements are it's quite classy.

It also means that an enormous number of newbie tanks have no idea that there is a way to determine how much threat they have. v:shobon:v

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Truga posted:

When you have an enemy targeted, the threat meter is on the job icons in the party list. It's really tiny.

Also, there's an aggro list, but it's mostly poo poo because it updates once every 3 seconds or so. Green bubble means <75% threat, orange triangle means >75%, red square means you have aggro, IIRC.

Also,

please do not trigger warriors like myself by using images from previous expansions and reminding us that we used to have flash

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I wish the enemity meter would show when you're close to losing aggro

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
If Aggro #2's bar is almost full, that means you're close to losing aggro

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

My advice in that scenario would be to take over MTing yourself. If the MT cares so much about personal DPS and so little about making threat work smoothly for the group, they'd probably be perfectly happy to be OT and use absolutely no tank stance or threat combos the whole fight.

There are other workarounds involving more unusual provoke and shirk timing than you'd otherwise be used to from when you're paired with MTs who can be hosed to get a reasonable threat lead at the start (so shirk has enough to work with that even at 75% post-shirk you're still at #2), but honestly it's a micromanage-y pain in the rear end for the OT.

That may be something you'd be willing to put up with if farming with a static and shooting the poo poo with your friends, but it's an unnecessary headache if you're just trying to get a reasonable farm rolling with a bunch of strangers. For successful pugging, you really want ease of coordination and reliable/consistent strategies, over more annoying techniques that could min/max results in theory but in reality just cause logistical issues and create more problems than they solve.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vil posted:

That may be something you'd be willing to put up with if farming with a static and shooting the poo poo with your friends, but it's an unnecessary headache if you're just trying to get a reasonable farm rolling with a bunch of strangers. For successful pugging, you really want ease of coordination and reliable/consistent strategies, over more annoying techniques that could min/max results in theory but in reality just cause logistical issues and create more problems than they solve.

The ultimate lesson of 'Skip Soar' :commissar:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Ok so I've played Summoner once since unlocking. How are the aethorflow changes going to effect the quasi-aoe by spreading the DoT's with Bane?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sade posted:

If Aggro #2's bar is almost full, that means you're close to losing aggro

I think he means to aggro list, and it'd definitely be nice if it was getting brighter red the closer the 2nd person is, being completely white if it's aggro+1 like in a provoke situation.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Truga posted:

I think he means to aggro list, and it'd definitely be nice if it was getting brighter red the closer the 2nd person is, being completely white if it's aggro+1 like in a provoke situation.

It would also be helpful for staying on top of things in group pulls if you're having a bad day and your aoe attacks aren't hitting the entire group and a stray mob is about to break away, not that that's ever happened to me, I always play perfectly

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's what I mean, I'm just thinking out loud how it'd be easily changed to give more info. The icon getting ever brighter would be an easy way. or the icon being hollow and filling up with red the closer the 2nd person is, being completely empty when you're 50% or more ahead or something.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Vil posted:

My advice in that scenario would be to take over MTing yourself. If the MT cares so much about personal DPS and so little about making threat work smoothly for the group, they'd probably be perfectly happy to be OT and use absolutely no tank stance or threat combos the whole fight.

There are other workarounds involving more unusual provoke and shirk timing than you'd otherwise be used to from when you're paired with MTs who can be hosed to get a reasonable threat lead at the start (so shirk has enough to work with that even at 75% post-shirk you're still at #2), but honestly it's a micromanage-y pain in the rear end for the OT.

just provoke a few gcd's before that mechanic comes out. I off-tanked that fight a million times and it's braindead simple.

EDIT: Specifically, provoke, take the hit, and then shirk. by the time the mechanic comes again you should have provoke and shirk back up to repeat.

Offtanks in the current expansion need to learn that threat is no longer the sole responsibility of the MT; in fact, as OT you are maybe more responsible than the MT. In a perfect world you and your partner will swap regularly, making full use of Shirk and your defensive cooldowns, but if your MT insists on staying MT then it's your job to provoke+shirk at regular intervals to maintain threat, since it costs you nothing while it may cost the MT significant time changing stances and using suboptimal threat combos.

EDIT2: really, the whole concept of "main tank" and "off tank" are outdated. there is merely the active threat holder, and the spare tank. good tanking involves regular swaps and sharing of all tanking responsibilities in a given fight.

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 5, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you should have shirk on your bar anyway, so hit an aggro chain and shirk him if he doesn't want to build enough lead if it makes you feel better, it's not like doing this is going to make a noticeable difference in how quick you clear :shrug:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

The ultimate lesson of 'Skip Soar' :commissar:

I'd be lying if I said that example hadn't popped into my head when writing my earlier post. :v:

And to the other replies, yes, I agree tanks should work together and threat isn't purely the responsibility of a single for-the-whole-fight "main tank". That said, threat generation is at its absolute most valuable at the start of the fight, because it's the initial constant that gets multiplied by all those compounding shirks.

Any downstream threat GCDs (on either tank's part) to compensate for lovely initial threat, are a net DPS loss compared to just generating more initial threat in the first place. (Threat resets notwithstanding, of course.)

And setting aside DPS losses and clear speed, they're also just loving annoying to have to deal with, in part because of how easily avoidable they are. The party as a whole is worse off (even if the initial tank may be better off for pure DPS in a vacuum) as a result.

So yes, you can work around it. And yes, it's a shared responsibility for both tanks. But it's still smoothest for everyone involved if whoever's tanking first doesn't half-rear end their initial threat to eke out 5 more DPS over the course of the entire fight.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
I guess I'm just not sure how you half-rear end initial threat unless you are just pulling in DPS stance or something. Even paladin (The shittiest pulling tank), outside of edge cases like a whole part of top-parsing SAMs and MNKs, only needs like 1 rage of halone combo in shield oath before switching to DPS stance for the rest of the fight.

If whoever is pulling is not doing even that much then yes, that's dumb and annoying.

EDIT: Also, tank dps is no joke if the tank in question is decent; having 2 tanks who dps properly is like having a whole other DPS player in the party. Conversely, having tanks and healers who don't dps for poo poo is hell.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Sarrisan posted:

I guess I'm just not sure how you half-rear end initial threat unless you are just pulling in DPS stance or something. Even paladin (The shittiest pulling tank), outside of edge cases like a whole part of top-parsing SAMs and MNKs, only needs like 1 rage of halone combo in shield oath before switching to DPS stance for the rest of the fight.

If whoever is pulling is not doing even that much then yes, that's dumb and annoying.

EDIT: Also, tank dps is no joke if the tank in question is decent; having 2 tanks who dps properly is like having a whole other DPS player in the party. Conversely, having tanks and healers who don't dps for poo poo is hell.

Agreed on all points. (And yes, I've had occasions of whoever pulls "not doing even that much". They're fun times.)

I will add though, that on fights like Lakshmi where you care about who's in the #2 slot as opposed to the normal case of just who's in the #1 slot, that after initial shirking's over with, the current off tank is going to be at 60% of the current main tank's threat (3/4 vs. 5/4 of pre-shirk post-provoke threat).

That 60% number still has to be in a comfortable lead over #3 to account for the fact that while tank DPS is, I agree, no joke, it's still less than DPS-DPS. So unless all four of your DPS suck enough to make it a non-issue, you don't want #3 to close the gap before the next shirk (or at least the next provoke) is off cooldown. If that's the case, then no additional shenanigans are needed for clean mechanic execution and everyone's happy.

If that's not the case (#1 might have a solid lead over everyone else, but the other tank is very definitely not a solid #2 at their 60% spot) then additional shenanigans are needed and they're one or another flavor of annoying. Workable, sure, but annoying, and all the ones I can think of end up in a greater net loss for party DPS than just getting a second tank-stance threat combo from the initial tank at the start of the fight.

Vil fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 5, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Sarrisan posted:

Depends on party comp and gear levels. Sometimes 1 threat combo just isn't enough when you've got SAM's and BLM's bearing down on your enmity's butt.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I once got the off tank cleave in Lakshmi Ex as a Red Mage in a PF group. Fortunately I was already in a position to keep it from cleaving the raid, but that little marker over my head gave me a heck of a start.

I feel like I should have gotten comms for that, but I didn't. I did win the casting ring on a Need roll of 1, though, because I was the only caster! :v:

That's my story.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Leofish posted:

I once got the off tank cleave in Lakshmi Ex as a Red Mage in a PF group. Fortunately I was already in a position to keep it from cleaving the raid, but that little marker over my head gave me a heck of a start.

I feel like I should have gotten comms for that, but I didn't. I did win the casting ring on a Need roll of 1, though, because I was the only caster! :v:

That's my story.

You aren't going to get comms in PF regardless

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I finally did Vedrfolnir Devoteth after grinding FATEs an hour with strangers, only for a ton of people to show up for the Darkscale boss fights and the follow-up Vedrfolnir boss fight.

Afterwards, everyone in my party friended me and we all went on our separate ways after victory posing.

That was probably the most fun I've had in this game. :dance:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

slev posted:

You aren't going to get comms in PF regardless

Oh, I know. I still try to comm people whenever I can in other content, but sometimes they leave before I can do so.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I finally did Vedrfolnir Devoteth after grinding FATEs an hour with strangers, only for a ton of people to show up for the Darkscale boss fights and the follow-up Vedrfolnir boss fight.

Afterwards, everyone in my party friended me and we all went on our separate ways after victory posing.

That was probably the most fun I've had in this game. :dance:

I'm still hoping to one day get a weekend crew together to do all of the big monster fates in SB, including the giant chain in the Steppe. I've done almost all of the 30 minute boss fates except for the one in the Lochs that gives a TT card for gold, but I know new people are coming up all the time, and you kinda had to be there in the first week of the expansion to get them done reasonably easily.

But I suppose with 4.1 around the corner, that'll have to wait a bit. People will want to do that instead, and so will I.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 5, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

To this day I have still never even seen the third Coerulregina fate. :mad:

I decided to lazy leve on carpenter a bit today and bought a bunch of normal quality birch lumber off the MB for an average of about 600 gil each. I then found that the leves themselves gave me 1000 gil per lumber in addition to the XP. I thought I had already explored most of the depths of marketboard dumbness but this was a fascinating new dimension.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also, did you know that flour can be bought for cents a pound, but a loaf of bread can be sold for like five bucks?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thundarr posted:

I decided to lazy leve on carpenter a bit today and bought a bunch of normal quality birch lumber off the MB for an average of about 600 gil each. I then found that the leves themselves gave me 1000 gil per lumber in addition to the XP. I thought I had already explored most of the depths of marketboard dumbness but this was a fascinating new dimension.

I mean, that's not necessarily that dumb because it a) expects people to factor in the reward of leves when setting their prices which I don't expect anyone to think about much less bother actually doing and b) leves are limited and how many people are gonna burn 'em for 1,000 gil when there's that much more productive stuff to do with them?

I am enjoying leve gil rewards though now that I'm out of HW territory and most of the crafting recipes I've encountered so far are doable for free with a properly-leveled gathering class. It offsets some of the poor financial choices I made on my crafting journey up to here.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just got this bad boy. That.....wasn't terrible. However I still have 11 weapons left to grind for. That seems more terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Thundarr posted:

I have yet to do Behemoth, Coeurlregina, and Prey Online. Do they just spawn randomly?

Leofish posted:

I'm still hoping to one day get a weekend crew together to do all of the big monster fates in SB, including the giant chain in the Steppe. I've done almost all of the 30 minute boss fates except for the one in the Lochs that gives a TT card for gold, but I know new people are coming up all the time, and you kinda had to be there in the first week of the expansion to get them done reasonably easily.

But I suppose with 4.1 around the corner, that'll have to wait a bit. People will want to do that instead, and so will I.

I'm still in need of a number of big FATEs. I think I did all of the ARR ones, at least.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Just got this bad boy. That.....wasn't terrible. However I still have 11 weapons left to grind for. That seems more terrible.

Get out now while you still can. :shepicide:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 5, 2017