Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
For the trade in program does the phone have to be paid off to your carrier first or can I trade in my current phone for the XL2 and just continue to make the device payments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So stupid question:

If I buy an unlocked Pixel 2 XL from Google, how do I get it working on Verizon?

They offer a "verizon" version with a SIM card. Do I need to get a new SIM card, or can I just pop my current SIM card in to the new phone and be good to go?

edit: primary reason for buying a Pixel (aside from my old HTC One M8) is so I don't have to wait a year for OS updates to filter through Verizon, and also all the stupid bullshit Verizon apps and bloatware (I still have VZW Navigator installed and I can't delete it lol). So I have great interest in getting the unlocked version.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PerrineClostermann posted:

I've yet to find a swiping keyboard with high accuracy. I don't think I'm being horrible with my inputs but they really make me wonder...

Certain words always gently caress me on swiping keyboards. "For" always comes out as "flute"

2 weeks with the blackberry keyone and it's the best phone I've ever had. I love the keyboard and battery life.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

So stupid question:

If I buy an unlocked Pixel 2 XL from Google, how do I get it working on Verizon?

They offer a "verizon" version with a SIM card. Do I need to get a new SIM card, or can I just pop my current SIM card in to the new phone and be good to go?

edit: primary reason for buying a Pixel (aside from my old HTC One M8) is so I don't have to wait a year for OS updates to filter through Verizon, and also all the stupid bullshit Verizon apps and bloatware (I still have VZW Navigator installed and I can't delete it lol). So I have great interest in getting the unlocked version.

None of those things are an issue with a Verizon Pixel, either way you just buy the phone and add your own Verizon sim card if you go that route

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: Also how the gently caress does Google get away with listing SmartThings as a "partner" on the Google Home Mini page, when they intentionally broke Nest thermostat compatibility with SmartThings?

Because they're claiming SmartThings is compatible with the Home, not that Nest devices are compatible with SmartThings?

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

DaveSauce posted:

So stupid question:

DangerZoneDelux posted:

None of those things are an issue with a Verizon Pixel, either way you just buy the phone and add your own Verizon sim card if you go that route

Basically what he said. You take the SIM card out of your old phone and plug it in to the new one. Or you take it to a verizon store and get a new sim card to put in your pixel 2.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Basically what he said. You take the SIM card out of your old phone and plug it in to the new one. Or you take it to a verizon store and get a new sim card to put in your pixel 2.

That's good to know. Is there any reason to get a new SIM card? Every time I've bought a new phone I've done it at a Verizon store...I am utterly clueless as to the process and I'm sure I've paid a lot more than I've needed to over the years.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

DaveSauce posted:

That's good to know. Is there any reason to get a new SIM card? Every time I've bought a new phone I've done it at a Verizon store...I am utterly clueless as to the process and I'm sure I've paid a lot more than I've needed to over the years.

No reason at all. At least with my XL I just pushed into a little hole with a paper clip and it pops out a tray for the sim card. Just lay the old sim card in there and that's it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Also, if you are buying direct from Google, don't buy the Verizon one, there's no reason to.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

Also, if you are buying direct from Google, don't buy the Verizon one, there's no reason to.

What if you want a kinda blue phone?

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

I've been seriously eyeing an Xperia XZ1 Compact (if they ever become available here, that is :argh:). How's Sony's reputation w.r.t. OS and security updates?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah that's my plan, i just wanted to make sure I wasn't buying a brick.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don Lapre posted:

What if you want a kinda blue phone?

Ok, ONE reason.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Anyone know anything about the Google trade in program? Not sure if that was available on any of their older phones when upgrading since the Pixel XL was my first purchase from them.

Essentially, when I bought the Pixel XL 32GB from them I did the 24 mo free financing which is like $32/month. It's been 12 months since I started that so I've paid $384 and there's $384 left to pay off. Google's estimated trade in value for my phone according to their website is "up to $400". So it would essentially pay that phone off and allow me to upgrade to the new XL 2 which would only increase my payment to $35/mo over the $32/mo I'm already paying(granted for 24 months on the new phone vs the 12 months that I have left on my old phone). Seems like a pretty awesome/fair deal to me, what do you guys think? There's nothing that I'm really "missing" with the current XL, its still ridiculously fast, does everything I need it to do, looks great, etc. It's just that a shiny new phone, new screen, front facing speakers and the fact that I can probably get more via the trade-in right now than I could get selling it myself seems too good to pass up for an additional $3/month on the payment which I wouldn't even notice. If I waited until next year for the Pixel 3 or whatever, this phone will be paid off sure but the phone will essentially be worth nothing at that point right? Do people buy two generation old phones for any kind of decent value?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Tempted to buy a pixel just to get the TMobile deal and then flip the drat thing.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

GopherFlats posted:

For the trade in program does the phone have to be paid off to your carrier first or can I trade in my current phone for the XL2 and just continue to make the device payments?

I asked a similar question in the VZW thread. My understanding (which was confirmed) was that they don't care if you keep/lose/sell/smash it. You're going to keep paying for it each month til your 24mo are up or you pay off the remaining balance in one fell swoop.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

Ceyton posted:

I've been seriously eyeing an Xperia XZ1 Compact (if they ever become available here, that is :argh:). How's Sony's reputation w.r.t. OS and security updates?

It's bad. I had a Z1 Compact which was great hardware stuck on KitKat because Sony are bastards. They make a pile of different devices and abandon them as quickly as Lenovo does.

If it had an unlockable bootloader I would say it's maybe worth a risk but you're really just taking a big, expensive chance.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

How is Googles Preferred Care thing, I’ve had nothing but lovely times with Assurant in the past (unless I’m confusing them with someone else)

Also is there a usb c splitter basically so you can actually charge and listen to music with headphones on an airplane, or is that not allowed in the glorious future? I saw some on Amazon but apparently none of them actually work.

Edit: never mind on the splitter, there’s a $45 goddamn dongle coming soon on the Google store

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 5, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Maneki Neko posted:

Also is there a usb c splitter basically so you can actually charge and listen to music with headphones on an airplane, or is that not allowed in the glorious future? I saw some on Amazon but apparently none of them actually work.

Google will sell you one

https://store.google.com/product/moshi_usb_c_headphone_adapter_charger

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Lol $45, Apple isn’t even that ballsy

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 5, 2017

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So should I get a pixel or essential phone?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

For $45.

I think I'll keep buying poorphones instead.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

TheReverend posted:

So should I get a pixel or essential phone?

do not buy the essential phone, it is aggressively bad. Its only perk is that it looks nice.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Welp, I know nothing about this Pixel 2 as I was out all day, but I just pre-ordered it on Project Fi and am getting a trade in for my Pixel 1. All I pay is $50 in tax and the remaining balance on my Pixel 1 is handled by my trade in, and my monthly payment stays the same.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Combat Pretzel posted:

You know what I don't get? Why are they making Italy and Spain eligible for sales later on? It's not like these countries have sparkling economies these days. If it'd been France, Switzerland and/or one of the Scandinavian countries, or whatever, that'd make more sense.

Where are you seeing the Italy and Spain stuff?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

XIII posted:

I asked a similar question in the VZW thread. My understanding (which was confirmed) was that they don't care if you keep/lose/sell/smash it. You're going to keep paying for it each month til your 24mo are up or you pay off the remaining balance in one fell swoop.
Correct. Its a credit card, not a collateralized loan.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Taffer posted:

do not buy the essential phone, it is aggressively bad. Its only perk is that it looks nice.

Cool ordering pixel 2 xl then.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Incessant Excess posted:

Where are you seeing the Italy and Spain stuff?
When they announced availability for the first six countries, they mentioned that Spain, Italy and a third country I can't remember will follow later on. Can't link the section of the livestream, am on the phone.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Combat Pretzel posted:

When they announced availability for the first six countries, they mentioned that Spain, Italy and a third country I can't remember will follow later on. Can't link the section of the livestream, am on the phone.

Thanks, looks like Singapore is the third.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
It's already up on both Italian and Spanish stores (waiting list, not pre-order). Italians will have to pay 989€ :eyepop:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sorry if already posted but Ars Technica had a brief hands-on report and came away loving the 2 XL while being unimpressed with the normal 2.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

I hope they improved on the software a lot since pre-release, because Samsung and Apple might not do it anywhere near perfect, but they sure as hell do it better than this:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Sorry if already posted but Ars Technica had a brief hands-on report and came away loving the 2 XL while being unimpressed with the normal 2.

The only downside of the normal 2 is "has bezels like every phone ever before this year." Like, that's true and a fair criticism if it's that important to you, but it's also just not a big deal besides aesthetics. Big bezels didn't make og Pixel a bad phone. It's slightly bigger physically than it strictly needs to be for the screen size, that's it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

seravid posted:

It's already up on both Italian and Spanish stores (waiting list, not pre-order). Italians will have to pay 989€ :eyepop:
That's mean. If you account for the difference in VAT between Germany and Italy, it should only cost 947€.

Decius posted:

I hope they improved on the software a lot since pre-release, because Samsung and Apple might not do it anywhere near perfect, but they sure as hell do it better than this:

This a sample of the Pixel 2? If so, eh, it's what's to be expected when you run a neural network over it. It's just guessing based on its training.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I too deeply care about how camera placement on the rear of my device looks

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Decius posted:

There's really no reason to try and do simulated bokeh when you can accomplish the real thing with either larger aperture like the V30 or dual lenses. It does look neat in the Verge video but if this image is any indication, it's going to wind up as lovely as beauty/portrait mode in other manufacturers' apps.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

gently caress you alllllll.

:(

The page header still says "Buy Pixel, Chromecast, Google home and much more", despite offering exactly one of those.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Phosphine posted:

gently caress you alllllll.

:(

The page header still says "Buy Pixel, Chromecast, Google home and much more", despite offering exactly one of those.

That's the thing I hate most with Google. They go out of their way to make it difficult for you to buy their products if you aren't American. With Samsung, Apple, LG even Amazon they at least try to sell you their product, Google does the opposite, you have to jump through hoops to get it. Still waiting for Youtube Red. Or a version of Youtube Live that's not a version I have to download from APK-Mirror. Or a Google Home I don't have to import with all the hassles once you have an issue that requires you to call support.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
E: nm, figured out my problem

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm an owner of an S7 Edge with a display that has been cracked for like 5 months and rather than pay the $300 replacement cost I've been waiting oh so anxiously for the Pixel 2 release... now that the dust has settled and I've been watching first impression videos I'm kind of disappointed that the non-XL version has such a relatively small display, the phone doesn't have wireless charging, it loses the headphone jack, and the processing speed is substantially slower than the iPhone 8... was it too much to ask for hardware parity at the very least? I almost feel compelled to get the XL to get the smaller bezels but the s7 Edge is already almost too large for my hands and the Pixel 2 XL is larger still... :smith: