Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Al! posted:

if they wanted to upset anyone it would say "antifa is straight"

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
"antifa have jobs"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I can't be the only one getting Buffalo Bill vibes here.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

This is a really, really good article.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
no news here, just a mood piece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gujElIwvGgM

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Al! posted:

"antifa have jobs"

Who the gently caress is scraeming at me to come to the company picnic gently caress you I will never attend the company picnic

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/wine_mum_/status/915745361930575872

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm weirdly reminded me of the Richard Dawkins circles:

quote:

But the $85 a month just touches the hem of rationality. After the neophyte passes through the successively more expensive ‘Darwin Circle’ and then the ‘Evolution Circle’, he attains the innermost circle, where for $100,000 a year or more he gets to have a private breakfast or lunch with Richard Dawkins, and a reserved table at an invitation-only circle event with ‘Richard’ as well as ‘all the benefits listed above’, so he still gets a discount on his Richard Dawkins T-shirt saying ‘Religion — together we can find a cure.’[

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2014/08/the-bizarre-and-costly-cult-of-richard-dawkins/

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Wow, $100k a year to spend an extended length of time alone with Dick Dorkins.

Oh, I'm paying him? Never mind.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

a secret location you can't tell your parents about. this is our secret, okay?

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

oh man 2014

that was when some dumbasses still thought Dig "The Own' Dawkings was a thot leader

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

It's times like these I wish I was an eccentric billionaire.

I would pay for the private dinner and just keep bringing up his TSA honey story. I literally would not let him change the conversation from the 🍯.

I wonder how long it would take before he just gives up and leaves, at which point I would sue him for leaving the date. In court I would continue brining up the 🍯

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Duscat posted:

oh man 2014

that was when some dumbasses still thought Dig "The Own' Dawkings was a thot leader

oh yeah 2014, that was right up around "dear muslima" gate, such a gate that was, all of atheism basically schismed over that into atheists that weren't racists and misogynists, and the atheists that like sargon of fuckin akkad and loving hate women gamers and SJWs

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol dick dorkins

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

its kind of interesting how much the new atheist crowd is clustering on the alt-right

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why would you ever pay money to meet these people

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

its kind of interesting how much the new atheist crowd is clustering on the alt-right

I mean really? Remember how three of the four "horseman" of the New Athiests movement have or in the case of one of them came out in support of various colonialist actions. I mean that should have been a sign that it could easily be turned into a group for racism.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Duscat posted:

oh yeah 2014, that was right up around "dear muslima" gate, such a gate that was, all of atheism basically schismed over that into atheists that weren't racists and misogynists, and the atheists that like sargon of fuckin akkad and loving hate women gamers and SJWs

We are living in the timeline where atheism had a schism, lovin this reality 7/10

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

I mean really? Remember how three of the four "horseman" of the New Athiests movement have or in the case of one of them came out in support of various colonialist actions. I mean that should have been a sign that it could easily be turned into a group for racism.

it turns out that the real reason they didn't believe in god was because he never smited all the minorities

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

its weird to me because i grew up a religious conservative and even as im drifting left i still get to hate richard dawkins

not a bad thing tho

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Dreddout posted:

It's times like these I wish I was an eccentric billionaire.

I would pay for the private dinner and just keep bringing up his TSA honey story. I literally would not let him change the conversation from the 🍯.

I wonder how long it would take before he just gives up and leaves, at which point I would sue him for leaving the date. In court I would continue brining up the 🍯

just refer to him as Dick Dorkins and act confused when he tries to correct you

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Analysing the failures of New Atheism is basically just a rehash of Marx's The German Ideology. It doesn't actually matter if God isn't real, because what matters is immediate physical reality. Being against religion isn't the basis for a real politics, and after the atheist vs. religion discourse had exhausted itself online they'd lost their sense of purpose, so to speak. So in the end they attached themselves to the prevailing attitude of the time, which was the neoliberal or neoconservative reaction against the reactionary wave in the Muslim world against modernity. They've just transferred their antagonism to the concept of God to an antagonism against Islam particularly, because they feel more threatened by it personally.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I would love to spend all that money to have a lunch with Dicky D just to continuously ask him if he would touch a poop for $20.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

This is a stout mf grift

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

rudatron posted:

Why would you ever pay money to meet these people

I just explained how I would use the opportunity to entrap him into a lengthy court battle wherein all I talk about hisTwitter drama

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

KyloWinter posted:

What is the influence of the alt-right to the overall conservative movement? I know people who identified as alt-right a year or so ago but seem to deny ever saying that now - is the alt-right becoming shunned as it seems to have moved from owning SJW's into full on white nationalism? Also where did this movement come from, a singular thing or multiple things? The alt-right is confusing to me because it seems to encompass a lot of different people/groups that have some overlapping beliefs but get grouped together maybe because they promote each other?

The background of the alt-right runs the gamut from meme poo poo to intellectual reactionary echo chambers: forums to mock tumblr/fat acceptance/SJWs, /pol/, gamergate, masculinists, no-fap, red-pill, MRA, new atheism, rationalists, classical liberalism, and sociology of race and ethnicity. The thing that binds it together is how they frame society and their perceived enemy. They think society is being forcefully moved by liberal activism in a direction that is brutally politically correct, multicultural, and liberally milquetoast. That radical activism is the new normal, and is being pushed heavily online and in the mainstream media to produce a horribly bland and banal society where equality is quite literal. Equal political thought, equal race mixing, equal mix of gender and sexuality, equal wealth, equal personal identity...

The alt-right is a reactionary counterculture movement to a New World Order style conspiracy. There is a bit of a schism over the extent to which they really believe in it. The alt-lite subgroup tends to be more grounded, sticking more closely to anti-SJW, free speech, right to expression issues. They see it more as some bad actors (liberal intellectuals and activists) creeping in and trying to poison the well with incorrect social theories.

So the reason why you might see people disavow the alt-right label is because they started being exposed to more of the bigoted and fringe ideas and realised the whole movement is dumb. They just wanted to be edgy and to keep politics simple and normal. These people were often politically dis-engaged. They had never thought through any of their political ideas, so they never foresaw any negative consequences until they started happening. Turns out if you give all ideas and opinions a stage, you end up with a lot of horrible ideas.

The problem is that you can't really separate the nazis and nutters from the alt-lite because their shared beliefs are so broad and interconnected. It's also intellectually hypocritical for the alt-lite to denounce and disassociate from the fringe elements, because their core principle is to allow an open exchange of ideas. The alt-right is starting at enlightenment philosophy and are coming back to the present day in fast forward. They are encountering the same problems at a higher velocity, and with more explosive results. Some of them are starting to learn the same lessons for 'why things are the way that they are' in a modern western society. However, the movement will not survive long term because it will never be able to reconcile the past the present.

Tokamak has issued a correction as of 06:43 on Oct 5, 2017

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://motherboard.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/a3kq94/what-happened-to-centipede-central-discord-trump-memes

Internet’s Most Popular Donald Trump Chat Room Destroyed in Anime-Related ‘Coup’

quote:

"The issue with Based_Brit is he's not American, he's a crypto furry—a closeted furry. He wanted to add anime and NSFW channels. But mostly for us, it's because he was so inactive. Every time we wanted to do something, he would be lazy and not implement it," Hova told me in a voice chat. "On [Centipede Central] we had mod meetings to discuss changes. He wanted to add an anime channel and other admins would constantly delete it."

Based_Brit told me that calling him a furry is "part of their smear campaign," and that he only wanted an anime channel on Centipede Central in order to sequester it away from the more serious chat channels: "If you look at the subreddit the_donald, there are a lot of right winger gamers—it's a common theme—of people who like anime. Personally, I have no issue with it," he said. "This is a channel we had in the past for a long long time. When [the anime channel] was deleted it spills into the other chats and more people get angry. So I said, 'Put it in a channel, contain it.'"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

safely sodomized posted:

https://motherboard.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/a3kq94/what-happened-to-centipede-central-discord-trump-memes

Internet’s Most Popular Donald Trump Chat Room Destroyed in Anime-Related ‘Coup’

you're doing good work BrutalistMcDonalds

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

you're doing good work BrutalistMcDonalds
hahahahaha

wasn't me. but whoever it is, i want them to join the goon basterds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw

based_brit, you show great talent... at shutting down nazi discords...

StashAugustine posted:

i really think christopher hitchens kicking the bucket made new atheism sink further into the morass. not to let hitchens off the hook here, but he would've hated the alt-right, trump, et al and would be boosting rojava if he was still alive. andrew sullivan said his last words were "capitalism. downfall" scribbled on a notepad.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 08:36 on Oct 5, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

i'm the apostrophe in photos

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

i really think christopher hitchens kicking the bucket made new atheism sink further into the morass. not to let hitchens off the hook here, but he would've hated the alt-right, trump, et al and would be boosting rojava if he was still alive. andrew sullivan said his last words were "capitalism. downfall" scribbled on a notepad.

They all do that. They only want to confess that capitalism is poo poo right before they die. Buckley did it, too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure that as far as the the 'mainstream' conservative movement goes, they're either unaware of the existence of the alt-right, vaguely have the idea that young people aren't necessarily all wicked hippies corrupted by the gays, or that they're loving space aliens that may or may not be useful idiots for them.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They all do that. They only want to confess that capitalism is poo poo right before they die. Buckley did it, too.
Hah.

Good point.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

How long until Jordan Peterson starts his own version of this?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3uDwEIaSoo

I tried to warn you...

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Scent of Worf posted:

How long until Jordan Peterson starts his own version of this?

I'd talk to him about the rarest Pepes and my favorite antifeminist anime waifu until he kills himself.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
what the gently caress

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

tell him about the Twinkie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Feels kind of like watching an 8 year old try to play tackle football with 300 pound 30 year olds.