Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

MisterBibs posted:

Kinda personal and E/Nish, but it's incredibly frustrating when you have the desire to create something (in my case, a short story whose topic has been floating around in my head for a few days), but realizing you're not a very good writer and you don't really have much more than the nugget of an idea in the first place.

Like, the details aren't really important, it's just annoying that this is my writer's checklist:

[X] Idea
[ ] Way To Make The Hinted-At Reveal Subtle Enough That Folks Don't Immediately Pick Up In, Like, The First Goddamned Paragraph
[ ] Resolution Beyond Said Reveal

:negative:

Just as spoilers aren't objectively a bad thing, people working out a twist isn't either. Some people like to think they're smart for figuring it out, some people like the anticipation of seeing how it comes about. Focus on good, interesting writing, not thinking about how your audience will react to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Writing like anything is a skill and you won't get better if you don't practice it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Kinda personal and E/Nish, but it's incredibly frustrating when you have the desire to create something (in my case, a short story whose topic has been floating around in my head for a few days), but realizing you're not a very good writer and you don't really have much more than the nugget of an idea in the first place.

Like, the details aren't really important, it's just annoying that this is my writer's checklist:

[X] Idea
[ ] Way To Make The Hinted-At Reveal Subtle Enough That Folks Don't Immediately Pick Up In, Like, The First Goddamned Paragraph

Good news. A good story doesn't require a good idea, and a good idea doesn't guarantee a good story. So having a good idea isn't any closer to writing a good story than not having a good idea. You aren't wasting anything!

Write more.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I cringe every time I see an oncoming train. They're rare, and they're going slow enough they'd be able to stop if they had to, but you never know.

Probably not.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Another traffic-related peeve is people giving up their entitled right-of-way.... Just take the right of way, it's yours!

God yes, gently caress these people.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

[X] Idea

Im always afraid of wasting ideas. Like if I have a premise or a certain plot point, i'm afraid of wasting it because I'm afraid I wont be able to come up with something as cool as that for when i want to write another story.

But ideas are a dime a dozen. They dont make or break a story. Its how a story is told that matters. So I know, intellectually, that I'm being silly and shouldn't worry about it, even though emotionally i have this irrational fear. Anyway, keep writing, friend. The ideas will come. You have to develop them beyond just the initial spark. It takes time and effort.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Another traffic-related peeve is people giving up their entitled right-of-way. You don't have a stop sign and I do, go through the drat intersection! I can't move until you do! I'm turning left and you are going straight through the green light, go ahead and go! This isn't a stop sign; I'm waiting for you to clear the intersection so I can go through it. You're trying to be nice, but you're just loving poo poo up and it's taking more time to do anything, while frustrating everyone around you. Just take the right of way, it's yours!
Same but as a pedestrian. If I'm approaching a road and a driver stops to let me cross ahead of them it's always annoying. I'm going to stop anyway because I don't know what you're doing and I'm not going to walk blindly in front of a car. You were moving fast enough that I could easily have crossed behind you without even stopping. It's not a busy road (because if it was then you wouldn't be able to stop) so you're not creating a gap for me, you're just wasting your own time and mine.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

Same but as a pedestrian. If I'm approaching a road and a driver stops to let me cross ahead of them it's always annoying. I'm going to stop anyway because I don't know what you're doing and I'm not going to walk blindly in front of a car. You were moving fast enough that I could easily have crossed behind you without even stopping. It's not a busy road (because if it was then you wouldn't be able to stop) so you're not creating a gap for me, you're just wasting your own time and mine.

Don't come to switzerland where pedestrians have the right of way over cars at crossings. It works good but as a pedestrian you still need to watch out and slow down since there is always that 1% mix of assholes/old people/day dreamers that don't see you and pass right infront of you at max speed without a second glance.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pedestrians in the US also have right of way at crossings but every driver seems to believe they do.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Okay, my traffic thing: There's an intersection nearby where main street crosses what passes for a highway around here (2 lanes in either direction!). At the light, main street has three lanes - one going away from the intersection, two approaching. If you're turning left and waiting for the arrow, cars pile up behind you. Which is fine except when a tractor trailer wants to enter main street and doesn't make the turn properly.

They stop, beeping, as they realise they need to pass the through the spot you're currently occupying to straighten out. You can't go forward, you can't go back. You beep, alerting the car behind you that THEY need to back up, and so on down the line until somebody either doesn't get it or can't see what's up, delaying the whole process and making everyone angry.

People should be mad at the truck driver in this situation. Or maybe the people who designed the rural clusterfuck of roads around here. It always feels like they're mad at ME though. It saddens me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

Don't come to switzerland where pedestrians have the right of way over cars at crossings. It works good but as a pedestrian you still need to watch out and slow down since there is always that 1% mix of assholes/old people/day dreamers that don't see you and pass right infront of you at max speed without a second glance.
At crossings it's fine. I'm talking about just at random, unmarked spots.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Star posted:

Im always afraid of wasting ideas. Like if I have a premise or a certain plot point, i'm afraid of wasting it because I'm afraid I wont be able to come up with something as cool as that for when i want to write another story.

But ideas are a dime a dozen. They dont make or break a story. Its how a story is told that matters. So I know, intellectually, that I'm being silly and shouldn't worry about it, even though emotionally i have this irrational fear. Anyway, keep writing, friend. The ideas will come. You have to develop them beyond just the initial spark. It takes time and effort.

There's nothing stopping you from using the same idea again.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sunswipe posted:

There's nothing stopping you from using the same idea again.

In fact if you do and anybody pays attention, they'll just get excited about "themes" or "echoes of earlier works" and think they're catching something you intended.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've probably posted about this before but seriously, the amount of people who avoid the wide open door to my office and instead choose to stare at me through a window until I notice them, or god help me knock on the drat window then try to mouth out their request as if there wasn't a WIDE OPEN DOOR right next to them.

I had one person just now knock on the window, then motioned for me to leave my office and go to her so she could ask me where parking services is. She was three steps away from the WIDE OPEN GODDAMN DOOR

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I don't know if this counts as a pet peeve, but I'm irrationally annoyed by it so here goes.

For my office's 'Fun Week', they promised a little trivia contest with prizes. Sweet, I love trivia! I'm not very good at it, but it's a fun time regardless.

Except it's trivia about the executive officers. I pulled up the quiz and the first question is along the lines of "Who likes to do jigsaw puzzles at home? Bill, Ted, Bob or Steve?" This office has over 1000 people in it! Who's going to know that? This isn't trivia, it's a guessing game!

Oh and also WHO CARES

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
In all environments but especially at work I really hate being called "hun/hon/honey/sweetheart". It's always in a super smug condescending tone where it's clear they think you're a moron for not knowing something that is only relevant to their job, which is entirely telling people in my job the technical details on how to do the thing (like grant applications, or travel requests etc, i.e. mostly admin/HR stuff). It's like that "bless your heart" thing southern people do when they think you're dumber than they are and/or going to hell.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Most people in my city are completely unable to handle the situation where there are two lanes turning left at an intersection. Even though there are lane markers painted all the way through the turn.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Tiggum posted:

Exactly this. I run a lot and some of the cross streets don't have stop signs. I get wanting to slow down in case some idiot pedestrian darts out in front of you, but don't stop and wave me across. Just go, you don't have a stop sign and you're wasting both of our time! I'm not going to run out in front of a moving car so don't wave me across!*

*Have actually been bumped because of this. Crosswalk, I have the walk signal, guy starts to turn right on red, sees me, stops partially in the crosswalk, smiles, waves me across. I go into the crosswalk and he starts moving right as I get in front of his bumper, bumps my leg, acts surprised I was there. WTF?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
When it comes to pedestrians, my least favorite are those fucks who stand at a crosswalk talking on the phone. Motherfucker are you actually going to cross? Step away from the corner so we aren't all expecting you to step out in the street!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

In all environments but especially at work I really hate being called "hun/hon/honey/sweetheart". It's always in a super smug condescending tone where it's clear they think you're a moron for not knowing something that is only relevant to their job, which is entirely telling people in my job the technical details on how to do the thing (like grant applications, or travel requests etc, i.e. mostly admin/HR stuff). It's like that "bless your heart" thing southern people do when they think you're dumber than they are and/or going to hell.

One the other side of this (only I use friend/buddy instead of honey/hon). I'm sorry it's just a thing I do- I literally do it to everyone and everything, including inanimate objects. I do just want to be friends with everything. :smith:

edit: also my pet peeve is people who assume I'm being rude or sarcastic with the friend thing. No, I really do just refer to people like that because it's friendly. "Thanks for handing me that, friend" literally just means I appreciate being handed the thing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It is kind of weird how friend/buddy/pal is seen as a kind of super aggressive thing, although I personally only take it that way if it's from a guy I don't know. Still, i think it's usually not said in the tone i was trying to convey with the other words. It's hard to put into text.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Danaru posted:

I've probably posted about this before but seriously, the amount of people who avoid the wide open door to my office and instead choose to stare at me through a window until I notice them, or god help me knock on the drat window then try to mouth out their request as if there wasn't a WIDE OPEN DOOR right next to them.

I had one person just now knock on the window, then motioned for me to leave my office and go to her so she could ask me where parking services is. She was three steps away from the WIDE OPEN GODDAMN DOOR
My flat has a window next to the front door. People kept knocking on the window instead of the door, which annoyed me. So I put up a doorbell. Surely, with a bright blue button right there, they'll press it instead of knocking on the window, right? Nope. loving ring the bell, dickhead, that's what its for!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I try to be sympathetic to people who aren't quite as tech literate as I am, but watching someone my age (early 20s) struggle to highlight, copy, and paste text, and then giggle and tell me "sorry, I'm not good at computers", sometimes with a bonus "like you", is pure suffering! Your lack of basic computer skills is a serious loving problem and computers aren't going to go away once you're out of school!!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It is kind of weird how friend/buddy/pal is seen as a kind of super aggressive thing, although I personally only take it that way if it's from a guy I don't know. Still, i think it's usually not said in the tone i was trying to convey with the other words. It's hard to put into text.

I use buddy and bud and buddo all the time in affectionate ways and so do a lot of other people I know. Might be a regional thing as to what tone to attach to it. Friend and pal are almost always passive or moderately aggressive though

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Killingyouguy! posted:

I try to be sympathetic to people who aren't quite as tech literate as I am, but watching someone my age (early 20s) struggle to highlight, copy, and paste text, and then giggle and tell me "sorry, I'm not good at computers", sometimes with a bonus "like you", is pure suffering! Your lack of basic computer skills is a serious loving problem and computers aren't going to go away once you're out of school!!

This, but also people who are like that about basic math.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

gently caress drivers who start driving forward when you have barely reached the middle of the loving crosswalk! You're in a comfy air conditioned car, fucknugget! You can loving wait!

Old people need to die.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Inspector 34 posted:

When it comes to pedestrians, my least favorite are those fucks who stand at a crosswalk talking on the phone. Motherfucker are you actually going to cross? Step away from the corner so we aren't all expecting you to step out in the street!

Yessss! And then I hesitate because maybe they're about to step out into the street, but they're not, and they notice me waiting and wave me through with a look of exasperation. It's usually a fitness mom with a stroller. Or a pack of teenagers.

Other pet peeve: cyclists who shift between the rules of pedestrians and vehicles at their almighty convenience.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sociopastry posted:

One the other side of this (only I use friend/buddy instead of honey/hon). I'm sorry it's just a thing I do- I literally do it to everyone and everything, including inanimate objects. I do just want to be friends with everything. :smith:

edit: also my pet peeve is people who assume I'm being rude or sarcastic with the friend thing. No, I really do just refer to people like that because it's friendly. "Thanks for handing me that, friend" literally just means I appreciate being handed the thing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Aesop Poprock posted:

I use buddy and bud and buddo all the time in affectionate ways and so do a lot of other people I know. Might be a regional thing as to what tone to attach to it. Friend and pal are almost always passive or moderately aggressive though

Exact opposite here, both in Canada and Texas. Calling people "buddy" is condescending as gently caress. No one really says "pal" except one guy from Ontario I know, we always call each other pal for some reason. Friend is unusual but ok.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

'Buddy' is the worst. I'm never sure if people are being friendly or condescending or friendly-but-subconciously-condescending when they use it :byodood: (in the UK)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
My work office is located catty-corner from The Help Center. The Help Center has a giant bulletin board on the wall next to their office door saying HELP CENTER -->. There are smaller signs with arrows around the corner in three places saying HELP CENTER THIS WAY -->. My office has a big sign next to the door saying [RABBIT HILL]'S OFFICE. Almost every day, someone wanders into my office thinking it's The Help Center.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Calling someone buddy seems very condescending. Not a native English speaker nor living in an English speaking country, so my take must be the correct one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Strategic Tea posted:

'Buddy' is the worst. I'm never sure if people are being friendly or condescending or friendly-but-subconciously-condescending when they use it :byodood: (in the UK)

This discussion just brings this to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuQK6t2Esng

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

This discussion just brings this to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuQK6t2Esng

I saw that when I was searching to see if it was just me, but I don't think I ever saw that episode. At bars though I've seen at least a few times the "who are you calling buddy, pal?" routine play out with shoving. Just never call a drunk man pal/buddy if you don't know them especially if it's preceded by "hey", they don't like it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've never bothered to watch South Park, it seemed terrible from the get go and the few eps I saw bits of while my brother was watching on Netflix seemed utterly unlikable. All I know otherwise is from Cultural Osmosis.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

doverhog posted:

Calling someone buddy seems very condescending. Not a native English speaker nor living in an English speaking country, so my take must be the correct one.

This is usually the case, yeah, though there's a particular tone/situation I can think of where it doesn't come off that way. Like, if someone is actually your friend and acts genuinely enthusiastic to see you while saying "hey buddy!" that doesn't come off as condescending. But most of the time it's pretty bad.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

I've never bothered to watch South Park, it seemed terrible from the get go and the few eps I saw bits of while my brother was watching on Netflix seemed utterly unlikable. All I know otherwise is from Cultural Osmosis.

In a similar way to The Simpsons, South Park was a complete culture shift for tv when it first started up. Now it is such an institution it could be easy to bounce off of it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I've got one bit from a piece of music stuck in my head and I can't place where it's from.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Olive! posted:

I've got one bit from a piece of music stuck in my head and I can't place where it's from.

Sing it here and I will try and help you

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Cartman Gets an Anal Probe and Terrance and Phillip in Not Without My Anus are both fantastic. I don't really remember any other episodes in particular, but I'm sure there were other good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

doverhog posted:

Bud-dy?