Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figure in these cases, making them fake humans is an easier way to have an able worker than trying to get a robot to be intelligent and self-aware enough to do complex tasks without constant supervision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Decius posted:

I always found the short life span of the Replicants an odd idea - you spend a lot of money and effort to make them nearly indistinguishable from humans, including fake photographs and mementos, memories and fear, only to throw it all away after a lifespan that's shorter than that of my current PC. Maybe the new movie goes deeper into the whole thing.

I always assumed it was a security measure, especially in light of the actions of the replicants in the film and the whole 'Blade Runner' job of hunting down rogue replicants. They're essentially manufactured human slaves, and a two-year lifespan stops them from organising politically or staging a rebellion or anything like that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Decius posted:

I always found the short life span of the Replicants an odd idea - you spend a lot of money and effort to make them nearly indistinguishable from humans, including fake photographs and mementos, memories and fear, only to throw it all away after a lifespan that's shorter than that of my current PC. Maybe the new movie goes deeper into the whole thing.

The fake memories/past is unique to Rachel, she's the first and only one to have it in the movie (besides Deckard depending how much you care about that). The four year lifespan was because after four-ish years a replicant starts to realize its own emotional responses and develop a more fleshed out personality very very suddenly. And since the result of that is that they no longer want to be enslaved that makes them "useless" and dangerous to their creators and owners anyway. Rachel's lifespan isn't disclosed in the director's or final cuts, ibut in pre 90s director's cut releases she's explicitly said to have no pre-set lifespan which makes sense for a more advanced prototype like her.

The Nexus 6 replicants we see in the movie are the most advanced models that have ever been distributed, and this group proved way more capable than expected, but they're still the exception.

Plus it's capitalism, I mean of course super advanced vital thing is designed so that you have to buy a new one every four years. :D

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 5, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

[quote="“Big Mean Jerk”" post="“477058416”"]
I get it from a storytelling potential, just not a financial potential. I have a hard time gauging how popular the show is but I have a bad feeling the film would get buried because no one knows what it is.
[/quote]
It's scheduled for July 2020. I feel like putting that right in the middle of summer is a mistake. It's probably not going to make much money to begin with but I could be wrong.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fast & Furious 9 is delayed to 2020, which will probably delay the F&F10 to 2022.

One person is definitely not happy.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Lmbo at all the Fast and Furious dirty laundry being aired in public

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tyrese is pretty nuts so I'm not surprised

Does he even do much of anything in these films?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's the comic relief.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

he got a big forehead

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

He, The Rock, and Luda provided the best comedic moment of Fast 6 (because it was apparently unscripted).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03sY9U0xrng

edit:
Also his unhappiness over this is merely an extension of the family issues he's already having right now.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 5, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FlamingLiberal posted:

He does as Romans do.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Neo Rasa posted:

The fake memories/past is unique to Rachel, she's the first and only one to have it in the movie

Doesn't Leon get in trouble for going back to look for his 'photographs'..? Been an age since I last saw the film.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/FiImFeed/status/915950499052052480

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Resting Eastwood face.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Doesn't Leon get in trouble for going back to look for his 'photographs'..? Been an age since I last saw the film.

Those are photographs he himself took while the replicants were on the run. It's showing that, unlike a machine, Leon is going beyond his programming as a dumb munitions loader and attempting to create art.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Someone's into teal and orange.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mierenneuker posted:

Resting Eastwood face.

Makes him look like a

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blade Runner is a story about slave hunters and the slaves they hunt, and the way slaves are otherized is by literally creating them such that they are non-human and the short lifespan is both a byproduct of that and a safety measure.

And of course whatever the new film has to say about it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Catfishenfuego posted:

Someone's into teal and orange.

Cool that Bumblebee with a sword is one the new Jaegers, hope they don't kill of most of them halfway through again

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The Bride of Frankenstein remake first was announced to not be connected to the Dark Universe (remember that???), and now has been yanked off the release date calendar entirely. Obviously things are going well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Bride of Frankenstein remake first was announced to not be connected to the Dark Universe (remember that???), and now has been yanked off the release date calendar entirely. Obviously things are going well.

Did they finally give up on Dark Universe, or will they attempt to boot it up again?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
My brain processed that as Bride of the Monster and I got way too excited.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The Tom Cruise Mummy was so tonally weird. It's like all these Dark Universe movies are made by aliens trying to puzzle out what humans like.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they just said gently caress it and did a Van Helsing 2.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Cross Van Helsing with the witcher

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

got any sevens posted:

Cross Van Helsing with the witcher

Isn't a Witcher already a Van Helsing?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

Isn't a Witcher already a Van Helsing?

Which witcher?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

this looks like transformers

yikes

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Minrad posted:

yikes
No, i can tell these are robbits and not scrap junk art from the local metalshop.

Also colors

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've got my own pitch for the Dark Universe reboot. In fact, I'm sure we could all imagine a good pitch in 15 minutes. This poo poo should be easy, and it's kind of incredible they managed to both it twice.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

The fake memories/past is unique to Rachel, she's the first and only one to have it in the movie (besides Deckard depending how much you care about that). The four year lifespan was because after four-ish years a replicant starts to realize its own emotional responses and develop a more fleshed out personality very very suddenly. And since the result of that is that they no longer want to be enslaved that makes them "useless" and dangerous to their creators and owners anyway. Rachel's lifespan isn't disclosed in the director's or final cuts, ibut in pre 90s director's cut releases she's explicitly said to have no pre-set lifespan which makes sense for a more advanced prototype like her.

The Nexus 6 replicants we see in the movie are the most advanced models that have ever been distributed, and this group proved way more capable than expected, but they're still the exception.

Plus it's capitalism, I mean of course super advanced vital thing is designed so that you have to buy a new one every four years. :D

Naw, even Leon who was a mental level C had old memories implanted, hence Roy Batty asking him "did you find your precious photos?"

And Deckard likely was the same, hence Gaff knowing that he dreamt of unicorns and leaving the origami unicorn on his doorstep.

e: beaten by ~NMN~ sorta

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

syscall girl posted:

Naw, even Leon who was a mental level C had old memories implanted, hence Roy Batty asking him "did you find your precious photos?"

I always thought those were photos he personally actually took of his own volition as they were approaching death/deciding to make a run for Tyrell as he was developing his own emotional responses and desires like the others.

Deckard, now that a new movie is happening I just assumed if he was a replicant he was another Rachel or some other oneoff prototype thing at that point.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Minrad posted:

yikes

No, it looks like a Marvel movie.

Yikes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

No, i can tell these are robbits and not scrap junk art from the local metalshop.

Also colors

Transformers haven't really looked like that since two or three movies ago. Now they look like giant metal humans, sometimes in armor.

In movie news: Unfriended 2 was filmed in secret.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

gently caress yeeessss.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

K. Waste posted:

No, it looks like a Marvel movie.

Yikes.

It's close enough to release that I already know it's not happening, but I was really hoping that the "Uprising" of the film would be that these new stupid looking robots would become self aware and evil or otherwise suckass in some way and the new folks would have to rebuild the awesome ones from the first movie and/or team up with the kaiju to destroy them.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Gore Verbinski is rumored to be in talks for Gambit

In completely related news I might want to see Gambit now...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I can't wait for the water scene and the train scene in Gambit.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'd be down with a Gore Verbinski superhero film as long as he manages to keep it under 2 hours. There would be some amazing action set pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I was gonna watch Channing Tatum play Gambit no matter who directed it, but Gore seems like a good choice.

• Locked thread