Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

JcDent posted:

It's one of those things where language evolves naturally to make stuff more lame. I'm still pissed over memes vs. macros thing.

Me too, I just gave up that battle last year, got tired of arguing/explaining.

Milhist question: My maternal grandfather was in the US Navy during WWII, but I've had no luck finding what he did or where he was stationed. He has a pretty common name and casual searching hasn't really come up with anything. Where should I start?

My paternal grandfather was a fire control officer on a destroyer that provided ground support during Torch and Husky. Then went back to the US, was refitted for ASW in the Carribean, then in 45 they were refitted again as a minesweeper, and arrived near Japan when the war ended. Among the things I have from him are his compass and a notebook from what I assume was basic training, and some stuff he got in Japan: a silk post-war Japanese flag, metal chopsticks, and what we're pretty sure is an opium pipe. It was all in his wooden footlocker, it looks like when he got home he tossed everything into it, stick it in the basement, went to work for Ford and never opened it again. I wish I'd kept the footlocker too, but did not have room for it at the time.

I doubt I'll be able to find anything like that from Grandpa John, but it'd be cool to know where he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

vv: China Mieville managed to make steampunk rad, but the subculture around it?? less rad by a good deal

A lot of the tech in his books is powered by or derived from sorcery and golems and other cool supernatural poo poo, so I wouldn't really call it steam-anything.

[quote="“Ataxerxes”" post="“477071881”"]
Too many great white hunter, colonial general and other very non-punk things around.
[/quote]

99.5% of steampunk is just nerds fetishizing the Victorian upper class.

"Cogservatism" is a much more suitable term.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando used steampunk once for a horror setting, Saws n' Steam.

It was the alternate universe of New Yorkshire, where huge fissures erupted on the ocean floor and exposed the heat of the mantle, boiling away the oceans. With the water necessary for steam power rapidly dwindling, they began murdering undesirables to extract the fluids from their bodies.

It started with them tricking people into going to a "paradise" that was actually a processing facility, and culminated in chainsaw-wielding gangs roaming the streets and ceremonially murdering people in public to keep the machines going.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The chainsaw gangs are the best part of Halloween horror nights. Last one I went to (and this was yeeeeaarrss ago) they were a drill squad of cops or ROTC kids or something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

The chainsaw gangs are the best part of Halloween horror nights. Last one I went to (and this was yeeeeaarrss ago) they were a drill squad of cops or ROTC kids or something.

The Chainsaw Drill Team has been around since the 90s, though they don't appear every year. I have a video from 2010 of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUeVwQzwsHg

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Loezi posted:

Picture of the day: Road with destroyed Soviet armor. Oinassalmi. 1940/03/20. SA-Kuva.

Note the width of the road and the denseness of the forest. Operating armored vehicles outside of the roads would have been practically impossible. When the photo was taken (at the end of the war) the snow depth has already dropped significantly from its highest, but would have still been around 50 cm

These roads were also few and far between. Passing tanks would tear them up and make them unusable for wheeled transport. Soviet I commanders cursed that they'd rather have no armour support at all than have it gently caress up their road.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

mllaneza posted:

¡Viva la Revolución!

Welp, let's wrap it up. Irony is dead.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Ofaloaf posted:

Welp, let's wrap it up. Irony is dead.
It was dead long ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i literally gasped

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

canyoneer posted:

Someone was posting a bunch of Byzantine empire memes in another thread here and I was dying

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

JcDent posted:

It's one of those things where language evolves naturally to make stuff more lame. I'm still pissed over memes vs. macros thing.

Yeh. Even if Dawkin's gone off the deep end, I think his original definition of a meme holds. It's sufficiently broad that it covers wide ranges of human behaviors, from agriculture, food prep, metallurgy, warfare, anything. Someone comes up with an idea, perform a behavior, and people copy it because it's a drat good idea.

A meme isn't just a stupid picture of a cartoon frog gassing jews.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
tag yourself, i'm Ronald Reagan coming out to Born in the USA

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

In Canada, a bank (think it was Bank of Montreal) rolled out their e-banking to "the times they are a changin' " by Bob Dylan

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

MikeCrotch posted:

tag yourself, i'm Ronald Reagan coming out to Born in the USA

I suppose if he came out now it'd be to Born This Way

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Maybe this is veering too close towards ~politics~ but the gun debate one thing that sticks in my craw is the idea that American gun ownership is necessary in order to rebel against the government should it get tyrannical. Americans by and large do *nothing* in regards to any of the necessary prep work and training it would take to make that work (and in many cases that level of prep would get the FBI on you like a tonne of breaks).

Historically it actually even seems like the idea of local people with guns successful formulating some form of insurrection doesn't have a lot of successful examples, it seems quite universal that at some point conventional warfare and outside assistance is required to reach some real levels of success. The American Revolutionary war required French and Spanish assistance before the British decided to give in.

Facebook argument that brought me here:

quote:

You might look to the wars, invasions, and government overreaches that didn't happen because of the deterrent effect of people with a bunch of guns. Observe for example the twin invasions of Switzerland in 1914 and 1940. Notice again the Norwegian war of independence in 1905. (And then the successful defense against the German invasion in 1940, when a competent government actually managed to mobilise 100k rifle-armed militia by telephone and radio instead of by mail, and the 10k Germans in the first wave were swamped.) Consider the US imposition of martial law, and subsequent mass executions, in response to race riots in the sixties. Think of the Japanese invasion of the West Coast in spring 1942 from their base in Hawaii.

I mean yes, these wars/invasions didn't happen, but to say they didn't happen because of 'local people with guns' is stretching it. Especially that one about 100,000 Norwegians in 1940, I just can't find anything to back up that number, Wikipedia only lists the 55,000 mobilized into 6 divisions.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Man, when I think of the ability of lightly armed civilians without heavy weapons to forestall invasion, I think of the battles of Coral Sea, Midway, Eastern Solomons and Santa Cruz.

I mean after all, the Imperial Japanese had demonstrated an utter unwillingness to face poorly trained infantry without much heavy support. No wonder they shied away from attacking China.

Guerilla warfare (is that phrase like ATM machine?) exists in part because poorly trained light infantry isn't particularly unprecedented and frankly isn't very good at a stand up fight.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 5, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How long was FARC active for? If "The poo poo Went Down" like the preppers think it would I don't think they'd overthrow the NWO government but I could see how they could be a harassing and permanent insurgency for basically ever.

But a lot of it is just fantasizing, like people plan for the zombie apocalypse. It's a power fantasy and they're the heroes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean yes, these wars/invasions didn't happen, but to say they didn't happen because of 'local people with guns' is stretching it. Especially that one about 100,000 Norwegians in 1940, I just can't find anything to back up that number, Wikipedia only lists the 55,000 mobilized into 6 divisions.

Wasn't Norway occupied by the Wehrmacht? How is that "winning"

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

zoux posted:

But a lot of it is just fantasizing, like people plan for the zombie apocalypse. It's a power fantasy and they're the heroes.

There's definitely some people who spell zombie with two g's and a hard r sound.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The idea of using guns to rebel against 'tyrannical' government is really about potentially shooting that annoying teacher, lawyer, or journalist in the head.

EDIT: The analogy you should be thinking of isn't the revolutionary war or WWII. The analogy you should be thinking of is the Rwandan Genocide.

"Lol, look at these hutus, arming themselves with machetes? Machetes in the age of tanks? How silly of them to suggest knives could defend them from RPF and fears of the return of the tutsi monarchy? Oh wait."

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 5, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

xthetenth posted:

There's definitely some people who spell zombie with two g's and a hard r sound.

Those sumerians will pay for their ziggurats

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Libluini posted:

Wasn't Norway occupied by the Wehrmacht? How is that "winning"

I mean it wasn't the shoe in the Germans were hoping for, given the loss of the Blucher, but even in America I don't think the average citizen has access to Whitehead torpedoes and 280mm artillery.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

zoux posted:

Those sumerians will pay for their ziggurats

BUILD A HANGING GARDEN

The Assyrians will pay for it

More on topic - Life in 1944 writes an editorial on the state of the draft. I find the estimate on what 4Fs are 'usable' interesting.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A combination of my two favorite memes.

Need more historical memes in general.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apres memes, la deluge

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Loezi posted:

As a curiosity, that's a single word in Finnish.

Then it can go next to Tankodesantniki in my favorite war words list.

Also is Ensonite anything like Pykrete? It'd be nice to think that stuff saw actual use when they couldn't build an aircraft carrier out of it.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

loving lol

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe this is veering too close towards ~politics~ but the gun debate one thing that sticks in my craw is the idea that American gun ownership is necessary in order to rebel against the government should it get tyrannical. Americans by and large do *nothing* in regards to any of the necessary prep work and training it would take to make that work (and in many cases that level of prep would get the FBI on you like a tonne of breaks).

Historically it actually even seems like the idea of local people with guns successful formulating some form of insurrection doesn't have a lot of successful examples, it seems quite universal that at some point conventional warfare and outside assistance is required to reach some real levels of success. The American Revolutionary war required French and Spanish assistance before the British decided to give in.

It's impossible to deny that armed societies actually can resist state force, though less important than the arms in my opinion is a social structure that can organize opposition to the state's use of power.

Before the modern world and even in many places today law was much more flexible than we are used to thinking and communities regularly engaged in, uh, negotiations that required large numbers of armed men. So for example I can remember an incident from late 1990s Yemen I read in a Rand monograph where President Saleh put out an arrest warrant for a local sheik in Saada governate. Local police surround the guy in his compound, until several dozen buddies from his tribe role up with kalashnikovs and suddenly the police have somewhere else they'd really rather be. Two years later the sheikh is in Parliament and part of Saleh'd government. Power and authority is a negotiation.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

feedmegin posted:

I mean it wasn't the shoe in the Germans were hoping for, given the loss of the Blucher, but even in America I don't think the average citizen has access to Whitehead torpedoes and 280mm artillery.

And the other part of the campaign where the invaders suffered significant setbacks, the battles around Narvik, involved Norwegian batallions that had been in a higher state of readiness (due to the Winter War in neighbouring Finland) supported by French and British forces. Not exactly "plucky local militias".

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

OwlFancier posted:

Also is Ensonite anything like Pykrete? It'd be nice to think that stuff saw actual use when they couldn't build an aircraft carrier out of it.

It's really hard to find a definition, but it seems to be some type of a paper product and is described as "multi layered cardboard" in what appears to be a history of the company that manufactured it. Another source, however, just calls it a variant of fiberboard.

I'm only able to find it mentioned in relation to tents made out of it in the Winter War and as something that's used as additional wall insulation in construction. In the latter case it's grouped together with (wood) fiberboard, but mentioned as a separate thing.

So from what I gather, it's available in large sheets, has reasonable insulation properties and is made from either a cardboard-like product or wood fiber. You can probably just mentally substitute the word with "fiberboard" and get reasonably close to the reality. Sadly, it seems like no ice is involved in the production :(

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The whole post is about a world where gun ownership is reversed: Norway wins because they have a lot of private gun owners to defend the country with, US faces invasion because they lost Pear Harbor because the people didn't have guns.

I will laugh in the face of anyone who thinks that private gun ownership ever discouraged state actors from invading.

And laffo at the idea that race riots in 1960s didn't end in executions and martial law because the protesters were armed.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
http://www.clickhole.com/article/owning-sega-has-officially-apologized-its-role-sup-6730#22,

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

A combination of my two favorite memes.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Loezi posted:

It's really hard to find a definition, but it seems to be some type of a paper product and is described as "multi layered cardboard" in what appears to be a history of the company that manufactured it. Another source, however, just calls it a variant of fiberboard.

Here it's described as a "thick cardboard" in a July 1945 news article: http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/50265127

Here it's described as similar to both "Ensopahvi, a 6mm, strong cardboard" and "porous fibre board, or insulite":
http://infomadera.net/uploads/articulos/archivo_3416_11766.pdf

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Hm yes, the deciding factor in the Japanese decision not to invade Hawaii and the US West Coast was private gun ownership. They had it all lined up and then went home because the idea of invading a place where a bunch of people owned guns was too much for them.

The fortifications on Hawaii, the army units stationed there, the logistics of supplying a landing force over such distances, the methods and technology involved in getting those people on the beach and inland had all been accounted for, but hunting rifles are an out-of-context problem.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Man, if only China had been as well armed as the civilian population of the US. :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it ties into the mythmaking around the American Revolution, IE: "No, actually ragtag militias with little training beyond their civilian use of guns were actually better than trained and drilled troops with proper uniforms because...something something guerilla tactics"

I think it's also the dream of modern militia movements that they'll mount some kind of "defense" or even a counterattack if some big government thing happens that they don't like. They'd certainly be able to cause a ruckus and say, stage an armed occupation of a national park when everybody's out for a holiday break, but that's only causing trouble for police forces, I don't know how well they'd stand up once the actual might of the US military started getting wheeled around.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't know how well they'd stand up once the actual might of the US military started getting wheeled around.
Have you heard of this place called Afghanistan? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are there parts of America as inaccessible as much of Afghanistan? I read somewhere once that a major obstacle to that kind of insurgency in the US is that we have roads that go basically everywhere.