Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I'm waiting for Jeb! to get to "the line."

Wait what was the line? The one she'd been rehearsing for? I'm tired as hell so I mightve missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Was it "I will be able to please him"

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Holodeck 4

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh lol

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Yeah that's the good stuff

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Also this is what Hillary's people expected. They had the math all worked out and it was just a matter of coasting to victory. In the real world, things don't always work that way.

I've often described Wisconsin as the wormhole between Illinois and Canada.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Astroman posted:

This still pisses me off to this day because if you notice they never actually travel back in time.

No wormhole, no flash of light, no nothing. One minute they're flying along their new Xindi BFFs and say "Smell ya later!", the Xindi leave, the Enterprise flys on--and then somehow they're back in time.

So? And when they went back to Detroit, Daniels just made one of the ship's doorways open onto 2004. The future has crazy good time travel.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

How can you be pissed off at an alien Nazis cliffhanger? That's pretty much the best thing ever to happen on Enterprise. I don't understand you at all astroman.

On another topic, I watched the one where Spock gets his Ponn Farr last night. It's so much fun. And I love how despite their smug sense of superiority about logic, every aspect of Vulcan culture and society is deeply stupid.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I've often described Wisconsin as the wormhole between Illinois and Canada.

Wisconsin is great and I love living here. :mad:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

marktheando posted:

On another topic, I watched the one where Spock gets his Ponn Farr last night. It's so much fun. And I love how despite their smug sense of superiority about logic, every aspect of Vulcan culture and society is deeply stupid.

We're all enlighten and logical.

Unless you're not on board with your arranged marriage. Then you have to find someone to murder the guy you don't want to marry. Too bad if he kills your champion though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vulcans are religious conservatives with massive emotional hangups on a huge variety of topics, half the things they do are just out of ancient tradition which you obviously can't question or change. Yet they poo poo on everyone else's culture for being illogical and backward and think their poo poo doesn't stink. Vulcans are hilarious.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Ferengi are the most internally consistent trek aliens.

Timby posted:

Please reveal to me how you manage to post from the mirror-verse.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 5, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

Timby posted:

Well now I can't trust any of your opinions ever again.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Timby posted:

When I lived in Wisconsin it constantly smelled like paper mills. Then again, the last time I was there was when TNG was still airing, so that could have changed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Ferengi are the most internally consistent trek aliens.
Ferengi are just as stupid and arbitrary as everybody else, it's just that their stupid arbitrariness has a lot of similarities to modern-day American society so it seems to "Make more sense".

I mean let's review.

We've never owned slaves! (Our :females: are subjugated, live at home, and aren't even allowed to wear clothes. Also they chew up our food for us.)
How could these humans possibly ever engage in an addictive substance with long term health consequences! We Ferengi would never do such a thing! Now did you need some Romulan ale?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ferengi probably take the libertarian/capitalist view that if you signed a contract you aren't a slave.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Nessus posted:

Ferengi are just as stupid and arbitrary as everybody else, it's just that their stupid arbitrariness has a lot of similarities to modern-day American society so it seems to "Make more sense".

I mean let's review.

We've never owned slaves! (Our :females: are subjugated, live at home, and aren't even allowed to wear clothes. Also they chew up our food for us.)
How could these humans possibly ever engage in an addictive substance with long term health consequences! We Ferengi would never do such a thing! Now did you need some Romulan ale?

I mean... you're right but that's what makes you wrong at the same time! They have ~*verisimilitude*~.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Where as the Andorians are, what, blue snow people with dumb ears?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Where as the Andorians are, what, blue snow people with dumb ears?

The ENT andorian ears were amazing.

And yes, they were most like humans but a tad more militaristic (and a tad less chauvanistic)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I mean... you're right but that's what makes you wrong at the same time! They have ~*verisimilitude*~.
Cardassians and Klingons were also well developed IMO. If anything it's the Vulcans and Romulans who are vague and lovely, but Spock~~ and Schemey People In Bus Chair Fabric~~

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The problem with Vulcans is someone decided it was a good idea to make them have crazy mating rituals and weird rear end fights related to them not to flesh out the race but because it made for an exciting episode and they had no idea if the show was going to be cancelled soon so they had to mix things up with the Ponn.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

evilmiera posted:

The problem with Vulcans is someone decided it was a good idea to make them have crazy mating rituals and weird rear end fights related to them not to flesh out the race but because it made for an exciting episode and they had no idea if the show was going to be cancelled soon so they had to mix things up with the Ponn.

That's true, they went from being the race of "Oh really? Seems unwise, and here's why" to being the race of "Speaking as a logical Vulcan, MY EMOTIONS ARE SCREAMING FOR RELEASE THROUGH RAPE AND MURDER AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The idea that vulcans aren't actually emotionless, but just super suppressed is actually a neat trait.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I like Data. It's not that he has to learn emotions, but that he lacks the capability to experience them so he can only view them objectively like he's judging a graphic design.

He can grasp it, but it's like a programming workaround.

Edit: I am not a robot

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It is! It could be... if it didn't seem like we saw Vulcans losing their poo poo more than just every now and then. Sometimes I wonder if the Romulans didn't work through things a bit more adeptly.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Romulans only engage, like, four total emotions: smug, rage, suspicion, and constipation.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TOS leans very heavily almost from the start towards the idea that Vulcans' claims to lack emotion are rubbish. They just deny it, consequently don't understand it, and make excuses when they do experience it. Spock loses control of his emotions in at least a half dozen episodes. When people call him on this, he tends to blame his "human side", but when we do see full-blood Vulcans, it is quite clear that they are not emotionless automata. Sarek clearly feels love for Amanda and a whole mess of good and bad emotions towards Spock; T'Pring's actions towards Spock make very little sense unless she felt something more than a desire to bang in re:Stonn. The whole concept of pon farr blows Spock's claims that true Vulcans never feel jack poo poo wide open -- the Vulcans are so obviously feeling emotion that they have a whole social ritual, with the force of a biological imperative, devoted to blowing it off. TMP reveals that the purgation of all emotion is considered not a normal thing for Vulcans but a grand spiritual achievement for the most devoted believers in the teachings of Surak. It's like how Worf is always full of bluster about how a true Klingon would never do this or always do that, ra ra honor, but he is only able to have this perspective because he is an outcast surrounded by non-Klingons who devotes his life to being the klingiest Klingon that ever klung. All the actual raised-Klingon Klingons are busy being dishonorable as gently caress. The disjoint between Vulcan philosophical orthodoxy and reality isn't as great as with Klingons but it's still there.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Tunicate posted:

The idea that vulcans aren't actually emotionless, but just super suppressed is actually a neat trait.

One of my least favorite bits of canon is where I think it was TNG or maybe VOY established that Vulcans have a special brain bit or gland that helps in suppressing emotions.

It was probably Voyager.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Basically I like to imagine that Spock was a depressive and Tuvok was a rageaholic but they were raised in a culture where emotions are the ultimate taboo. Instead of, you know, they have a special part of their brain that makes it so their emotions don't work so good.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
You could do a neat story where Vulcan cognitive scientists have begun to rediscover the importance of emotion to cognition (several centuries after Earth scientists have already done so), and it's treated as dangerous nonsense by emotion denialists.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

You could do a neat story where Vulcan cognitive scientists have begun to rediscover the importance of emotion to cognition (several centuries after Earth scientists have already done so), and it's treated as dangerous nonsense by emotion denialists.

Founded by Sybok.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Enterprise did this. The humans were like "these Vulcans rule, T'pol you need to learn from these guys" then one of them forced a mind meld against her will and she got space aids.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 6, episode 12 "Who Mourns for Morn?"

The gag of Morn never speaking on screen is timeless. I realized tonight though that he's a more extreme version of Dax: all her most interesting stuff is offscreen, that is, in her previous hosts - mostly Curzon - and we're stuck with the boring version that in her case isn't played as a gag. To be honest I can kind of sympathize with Farrell for leaving the show.

Episode 13 "Far Beyond the Stars"

Now this is Star Trek. Just a little too on the nose, but again... that's Star Trek. I still don't like some of Brooks' acting choices when he gets really worked up, but I can see where he was going with it. Great to see all the other actors without masks and stuff, and I'm sure they appreciated it too.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Basically I like to imagine that Spock was a depressive and Tuvok was a rageaholic but they were raised in a culture where emotions are the ultimate taboo. Instead of, you know, they have a special part of their brain that makes it so their emotions don't work so good.

I'm gonna pretend that having emotions in Vulcan society is like sprouting a surprise boner that everyone can see

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

vermin posted:

I'm gonna pretend that having emotions in Vulcan society is like sprouting a surprise boner that everyone can see

Every now and then Vulcan school kids get the TV cart rolled into their classrooms and have to watch videos about nocturnal emotions.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Delsaber posted:

Every now and then Vulcan school kids get the TV cart rolled into their classrooms and have to watch videos about nocturnal emotions.

Holy goddamn poo poo

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Delsaber posted:

:perfect:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well I was gonna post something but it's not gonna top that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I wonder if Michael knows about him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Delsaber posted:

:thurman: