Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Spoeank posted:

Lol the chuds are gonna zero in on this with laser focus so they can ignore the fact that a fox news grandpa just shot 600 people

The police were talking about how they were exploring if this is related to the knockout game lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/915928029628641280

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Intruder posted:

The police were talking about how they were exploring if this is related to the knockout game lol

Close, it was related to butt chugging.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't get excited about video games anymore. I find it really sad.

I still play games but mostly Strategy games nowadays.

I LOVED Horizon though so I still have some childlike wonder in me.

I'm half kidding half not

I used to LIVE to get home in college (after parties or class or even just hangouts) and play poo poo like Assassins Creed.

Now I tried playing Witcher 3 and got insanely bored after 20 minutes.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Amy Pole Her posted:

I'm half kidding half not

I used to LIVE to get home in college (after parties or class or even just hangouts) and play poo poo like Assassins Creed.

Now I tried playing Witcher 3 and got insanely bored after 20 minutes.

I was the same way, I couldn't wait to get home and play whatever.

Please try Witcher 3 again - it's probably one of the best games I've ever played but it does have a slow start. Once you progress past White Orchard (which is basically the training level for the game) the world opens up and it gets awesome. The writing and storytelling is one of the best for a game I've ever seen.

There's a quest later in the game that you get high and go on an adventure with your talking horse (who only talks for this quest) and it's hilarious

There's also so many subtle references to different types of media. My favorite is in one part of the game you have to find this dude that escaped from a prison so that he can tell you how to break in. The guys name is Abbe Faria and he tells you the way that he escaped, and it's the same way Edmund escaped in Count of Monte Cristo.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 5, 2017

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Witcher 3 was my breaking point for open world games. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Then I hit the 100 hour mark and just stopped playing it despite not finishing it. After putting a couple hours in Breath of the Wild I just can't bring myself to pick it up. Now the idea of playing a game like Horizon Dawn does nothing for me. Maybe time will change it, but right now I am just done with open world games.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 5, 2017

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I put 100 hours into the Witcher 3 and got to the part where you are about to go to Skellig (?) and i cant bring myself to continue.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CyberPingu posted:

I put 100 hours into the Witcher 3 and got to the part where you are about to go to Skellig (?) and i cant bring myself to continue.

Skellige is a huge tonal shift in the game and is worth playing.

How did you put 100 hours into the game before that? Going to Skellige is like 20 hours into the game even taking a lot of sidequests into consideration.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

How the gently caress did you spend 100 hours on a third of the game

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I guess I'm slow too, as I didn't hit Skellige until roughly the 70 hour mark.

Edit: \/\/\/ Same. No question mark can go unexplored.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I get distracted by things...when i get into an area i need to explore and find everything that pops up on my map.

Its a loving annoying disease that i wish i didnt have that i might have to supress for Zelda.

Edit. Ill probably finish it now that i have time in the mornings to play video games again. so ill put in like an hour or so before i go to work.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Seeing "100 hours" just horrified me. I'll maybe play it whenever it's rainy and I'm bored. I'll try again.

I think my last point of playing was going to some old guys hut after killing a Gryiffin and hunting for some chick

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Amy Pole Her posted:

Seeing "100 hours" just horrified me. I'll maybe play it whenever it's rainy and I'm bored. I'll try again.

I think my last point of playing was going to some old guys hut after killing a Gryiffin and hunting for some chick

Yeah that's still early in the game, you're pretty close to leaving the white orchard place I talked about.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

CyberPingu posted:

I get distracted by things...when i get into an area i need to explore and find everything that pops up on my map.

Its a loving annoying disease that i wish i didnt have that i might have to supress for Zelda.

Edit. Ill probably finish it now that i have time in the mornings to play video games again. so ill put in like an hour or so before i go to work.

Nah, Zelda actually rewards you going out and finding everything. You kind of need to do that in that game.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I got over open RPGs after Skyrim but mostly because I turned into a sick, disgusting goon who never saw daylight. I didn't even beat the drat game!! I am genuinely afraid to buy Witcher 3.

Also I have sunk about 400 hours into Stellaris. This whole DLC and free patch every few months thing makes it too hard to stop. It's also a great game to just pick up and play whenever because it's Civilization in Space.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I like open world RPG's but I play them all the same way, I get like 30-40 hours in, stockpile everything, then never playing them again.

In skyrim I got to the point where I had a house, then filled a trough with all the gems I had looted in the game, then spent awhile just shooting fireballs at it to watch the physics engine cry.

Stellaris was cool, but I just can't devote the kind of time that game wants. I read up on the Spiritual transcendence event they added awhile back though and that's amazing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i like fighting games

i like the king of fighters

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I like video games especially RPGs because they allow me to zone the gently caress out. I am kind of hyperactive in my thinking (thus, my :justpost: reputation) and I sometimes need something that gets me to slow down.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I like to play NBA2k18 with fatigue off and max quarter length so I can get 100 point quintet-doubles with John Wall

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Playing 2K with injuries and fatigue is lame and bad

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I'm playing Mario RPG on my SNES Classic and loving it. Never got to play it much back in the day, apart from at a friends once or twice. Unsure what I'll play next, maybe StarFox or FF3, though I wasn't a huge fan of fighting on that when I played in on my phone. I beat Earthbound on my 3DS last year, so I don't think I'll play that again any time soon, but love me some RPG's.

Also, discovering CRT mode made everything look so much better, really confused why that wasn't the default video mode.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i also like game with car

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Isn't NBA2K the game where you have to do a bunch of off the court poo poo as well? Like going to practice and playing dress up with your bball player?

So if injuries are turned on, do you have to do rehab as well. Or does immersion finally become tedium at some point.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
The video game fatigue thing has got to be a normal part of aging. I can only get into games with great writing now or are relatively quick.

Horizon and Witcher 3 are two of the best written games Ive played although Witcher 3 might be my all time favorite game I've ever played.

I'll probably pick up that South Park game since the last one was shockingly well written all the way through and it was fairly brief.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've been playing Darkest Dungeon lately. The game updates its save continuously so you can stop playing at any moment without losing any progress, and also there's no way to savescum so you just plow forward with whatever happens.

I used to buy those open world games like morrowind or whatever but like others I get option paralysis, trying to manage my inventory of every single thing the game lets you pick up, never getting anywhere because oh it's time to deal with my pockets being full of random fruit or skeleton drops or whatever the gently caress, and then I don't want to play it any more.

These days I only want to play games that put no pressure on me to perform skillfully. So basically strategy stuff, turn-based stuff, etc.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I'm dying

https://twitter.com/TotalProSports/status/915962916653826048

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I like to play NBA2k18 with fatigue off and max quarter length so I can get 100 point quintet-doubles with John Wall

I do the same but full quarters in Madden

5000 yard Rookie RB

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Neil Armbong posted:

I'm playing Mario RPG on my SNES Classic and loving it. Never got to play it much back in the day, apart from at a friends once or twice. Unsure what I'll play next, maybe StarFox or FF3, though I wasn't a huge fan of fighting on that when I played in on my phone. I beat Earthbound on my 3DS last year, so I don't think I'll play that again any time soon, but love me some RPG's.

Also, discovering CRT mode made everything look so much better, really confused why that wasn't the default video mode.

Donkey Kong Country looks like an absolute mess without CRT mode. Other games look fine.

I never played Super Metroid before and have enjoyed that immensely. Some controls (wall jumping, grapple hook) show their age but everything else works really well. Once I'm done, i'm really interested in seeing some of these lightning fast speed runs.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do the same but full quarters in Madden

5000 yard Rookie RB

I tried that, and while fun, each game takes like 5 freaking hours and I got bored due to my A.D.D.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

weird Asian candy posted:

I tried that, and while fun, each game takes like 5 freaking hours and I got bored due to my A.D.D.

Oh yeah, its one of those things that I do like one game a week or so

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I pre-ordered Gran Turismo Sport, so I hope it's good. It's the first game I've pre-ordered in uhh 13? years.

WHOOPS posted:

I never played Super Metroid before and have enjoyed that immensely. Some controls (wall jumping, grapple hook) show their age but everything else works really well. Once I'm done, i'm really interested in seeing some of these lightning fast speed runs.

Super Metroid rules so much

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh yeah, its one of those things that I do like one game a week or so

So roughly 40 hours worth?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's the point of pre-ordering anymore? I understand back in the day you did it so you could ensure a copy of whatever game but now that everything is digital what's the point?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

What's the point of pre-ordering anymore? I understand back in the day you did it so you could ensure a copy of whatever game but now that everything is digital what's the point?

They give you a shiny cosmetic or something so you buy it before you realize it's Mass Effect Andromeda

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
With digital media, the only reason to pre-order is what ever bonus outfit they offer as part of the promotion.

In other words, worthless.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

If it was a game I was absurdly hyped for I used to do it so I could play ON MIDNIGHT BRO but ever since I realized I can get poo poo way cheaper at Best Buy I kinda cooled on that

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Pre-ordering digitally to pre-load the game is nice but assuming you work a job, you could also just download it the morning of.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I just started playing Diablo II: Eastern Sun and god drat is it fun. I'm a bit worried about how enjoyable it is.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3797978

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

WHOOPS posted:

Pre-ordering digitally to pre-load the game is nice but assuming you work a job, you could also just download it the morning of.

MIDNIGHT BRO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

fishing with the fam posted:

With digital media, the only reason to pre-order is what ever bonus outfit they offer as part of the promotion.

In other words, worthless.

I preordered the latest Total Warhammer game and got the Norse Dlc for free so I got to stomp around as a mutant troll king for a month or so before being able to lead an army of Aztec dinosaur s led by a corpulent flying psychic frog so #worth

• Locked thread