Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

This got me thinkin'... drat I've killed a lot of bosses in my life. Killed more bosses than my father or his father before him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think that Doris would've hit Cam Newton with a full on RKO if he said that poo poo from yesterday to her.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

EvanTH posted:

is he going for Ilunga-Mbenga? That dude is easily up on the NBA All-Time Top Ugliest charts. Face was downright tragic, ready for a Star Trek guest appearance and poo poo

Please do not insult the greatest Laker fifteenth man of all time. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T1rZBxn3Zx8

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

creamcorn posted:

Please do not insult the greatest Laker fifteenth man of all time. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T1rZBxn3Zx8

I remember walking around the Staples Center and seeing posters/wall banners or whatever of him up everywhere. It was insane

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I watched 7 minutes of the Pacers game last night. I'm just going to go ahead and pencil them into the 8th spot of the East where they will do nothing but tank their draft rank but feel good about it because they made the playoffs. They will be pretty fun to watch though, which is the important part.

Myles Turner is going to lead the league in 3 point shots taken from the top of the key.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Aldridge was just fine last year guys the Spurs were really happy with him

quote:

"It was an afterthought [to get me the ball early]. But it was both [probably my fault and the team's] because I didn't feel like I would get it," Aldridge said. "So I probably didn't run the floor as hard, or I didn't seal as good. Then, they didn't look for me. Then, when we both thought about it, it was too late

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

I've rarely seen someone look so miserable on a basketball court, it's a shame

EvanTH posted:

Brazzaville, R. Congo - Ibaka
Kinshasa, DR Congo - Mbenga, Eyenga

Brazzaville has the "Ka"
Kinshasa has the "Ga"s

They're pretty much stuck with him for now right? Isn't Payne out for 4 months (does it even matter, will he ever play again)

The Bulls are my second favorite team

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

I accept his apology and am looking forward to moving on.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

I've rarely seen someone look so miserable on a basketball court, it's a shame

Brazzaville has the "Ka"
Kinshasa has the "Ga"s

Hmm, well "Mutombo and Biyombo are both from DR Congo", seems to work, but it doesn't actually help differentiate Rwest from DReast plus Mutombo was born in Kinshasa back when it was still called Leopoldville

I think a Matt Groening cartoon I read when I was a kid hosed me up for years on some stuff:

Because he wrote it when DR Congo was still Zaire, but I read it a few years later when DR Congo was what you'd see in the news and in Bongo's head he's using it to mean the unpopulated rainforest region of the Congo Basin which is a huge area, like bigger than India but I didn't totally get that because I was small

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So because I've stupidly looked other sports places and been irradiated with stupidity, help me out here: Houston is probably #2, MAYBE#3 in the West right? Kawhi is a bit of a question mark and until I see Melo working in OKC I'm going to assume clusterfuck. Am I nuts?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Probably but who knows. I could see 2-4 in any order. Paul will help Houston, but they sacrificed depth to get him and he usually misses 10-20 games a year. Kawhi's hurt-ish. OKC's a ???

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
OKC is the 2nd best team on paper, but they might fall behind a bit because they had such a roster turnover in the starters.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

OKC is the 2nd best team on paper, but they might fall behind a bit because they had such a roster turnover in the starters.

Plus like I said, Melo is Melo.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Tae posted:

That team seems like less than the sum of its parts. Houston and San Antonio have an identity and OKC could be a chemistry set this season.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I know that preseason is Small Sample Size Theater incarnate, but I'm starting to think Kyle Kuzma is legit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

👍👍👍
https://twitter.com/pompeyonsixers/status/915990392016982016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Melo will work in okc

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tae posted:

OKC is the 2nd best team on paper

ehhhhh

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cash Monet posted:

That team seems like less than the sum of its parts. Houston and San Antonio have an identity and OKC could be a chemistry set this season.

The Spurs lost a lot of depth and Tony Parker is out until next year. The Thunder replaced lovely Oladipo and a rookie bad stretch 4 with Paul George and Melo.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://streamable.com/1cufi

rofl

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Metapod posted:

Melo will work in okc

:allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tae posted:

The Spurs lost a lot of depth and Tony Parker is out until next year.

December.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ahaha my man

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/Trilladelphian/status/915722298061139974

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do these vegan giant athletes eat their body weight in beans every day or what

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Nah the trick is you gotta supplement with steroids

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Horse piss extract is not vegan.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/915997843789197312

Good for Norm.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tae posted:

That's drat near every year. 2 years ago they looked like that until the last 2 weeks of the season, then they would have beaten the Warriors if Durant hadn't thrown the series. So them and the Celtics will look out of sorts the 1st half until things start jelling. I can easily see both of them in their respective finals.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Having to deal with millionaire toddlers seems unenjoyable

Reggie Jackson has a groin pull which means his hip is hosed up which means I need to do something else with my life like watch the Milwaukee Bucks

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 5, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is also what he says to people he encounters on the street.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/QCHspencer/status/916019578295033856

bluh

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Congrats to everyone that bought the under on Charlotte

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

This is good.

This is unfortunate. I like Batum.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Zogo's poll blowing up on me even before the season has started. Sweet.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The East is bad enough that they can maybe sneak in as the eight seed and have Batum back in time for the playoffs but whatever. More Malik Monk, I guess, maybe they'll be bad enough to snag a top-3 pick

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kemba is too good to have a record that bad. Imho.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
2-4(5?) in the west is up for grabs, but it also doesn't matter much. they'll each have to go through one another and topple GS. its not impossible, but not particularly likely either.

i think kawhi will be fine, but missing tony is going to hurt since murray is still so raw. i'm really looking forward to a big bounce back year from lamarcus. he looks thinner and in better shape, and his potential has always been there. seems like him and pop are really trying to get on the same page this season. plus, his defense from last year was actually really good. so upping his offense while keeping his defense should put him back on everyone's radar. rudy's playing tomorrow night so it'll be great to see what kind of shape he's in. he's really a big key because he allows the spurs to have a super potent small ball lineup. his biggest benefit is allowing kawhi to rest without giving up so much ground. we'll see if he cracks the staring rotation by the end of the season, but for now, listening to manu, it sounds like gay is on the second unit, which is a good thing on the spurs.

people love to sleep on the spurs, and every year is supposed to be the year they crumble.

i'm just looking forward to some more competition out west. more competition is good, and i'm dreading the same finals matchup for the fourth time in a row. that's super boring.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/916034651751424006

Cool, OK.

Assuming this isn't the team putting a rosy picture on the injury, this is like the second time that dude has tweeted out medical info before the beat/national guys and been wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm pretty optimistic about LMA, honestly. I think he had a good season and in the playoffs he had some great moments as the second option on a team that was dominating the Warriors before Georgian sabotage. I don't really think there'll be trouble. The ESPN article had some good signs. As long as Pau and LMA are taking threes I'm happy.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20901861/nba-lamarcus-aldridge-adjustment-spurs-enters-year-3

quote:

"This is a guy who played for nine years, I believe, before he came here," Popovich said, "and it takes time to get used to a program that is not just new. But when you have nine years under your belt, doing something different, his concerns are totally legitimate.
"We have talked about what we can do to make him more comfortable, and to make our team better. But having said that, I think we are mostly talking about offense. Defense, he was fantastic for us. Now, we have got to help him a little bit more so that he is comfortable in his own space offensively, and I haven't done a very good job of that."

Aldridge plans to incorporate more 3-point shooting into his game this season, too. Before he departed for the summer, Aldridge said Popovich told him to "make sure you shoot [3-pointers] because I want you to get back comfortable doing that because our system fits it," adding that "I'm going to be spread out a little bit more this year, so I definitely tried to focus on that."
More worried about Tony possibly done and DJ not being ready to get thrown in the PG fire. Oh well. If the Spurs were healthy (Tony was pretty solid pre-injury last year) I'd be pretty confident about our matchups in the West.

RaySmuckles posted:

i'm just looking forward to some more competition out west. more competition is good, and i'm dreading the same finals matchup for the fourth time in a row. that's super boring.
It's a cool rivalry now but I would like to see the Spurs versus LeBron+Wade again

• Locked thread