Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have many questions

It's from a Lowtax-approved Helldump thread of sorts so, yknow, if you really wanna know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Leperflesh posted:

But then I found out you have to pay a minimum of $60/yr to CBS to watch the rest. $100 a year to watch the rest without commercials.

Well that's certainly a good way to completely kill any chance of a show being successful.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Adlai Stevenson posted:

It's from a Lowtax-approved Helldump thread of sorts so, yknow, if you really wanna know...

Specifically, it's about Shmorky's girlfriend, who really needs dental work.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Tom Brady is the best

At eating poop!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Also she's mentally ill and a nazi

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Also she's mentally ill and a nazi

i just assume anyone who is a nazi is already mentally ill so you repeat yourself etc

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fishing with the fam posted:

Well that's certainly a good way to completely kill any chance of a show being successful.

no you see, if people will pay $12 a month for Netflix, clearly they'll pay $5 a month to watch CBS reruns! The star trek series is just the cherry on top. This is totally gonna make our network relevant again!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Leperflesh posted:

no you see, if people will pay $12 a month for Netflix, clearly they'll pay $5 a month to watch CBS reruns! The star trek series is just the cherry on top. This is totally gonna make our network relevant again!

The crazy thing is that CBS is BY FAR the highest rated network in like every time slot all week. Why are they desperate here?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The crazy thing is that CBS is BY FAR the highest rated network in like every time slot all week. Why are they desperate here?

they can force you to watch commercials in streaming content but they can't force anyone to watch commercials on DVRs so presumably advertisers are bailing on paying the big networks for normal commercials, or will be doing so more and more in the future.

And also I guess they'd rather go alone than just license their content to netflix, or hulu, or amazon.

e. also their ratings are poo poo year-over-year, just scroll down this page and look at all the red:
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/cbs-tv-show-2016-2017-season-ratings/

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Joey Freshwater posted:

i just assume anyone who is a nazi is already mentally ill so you repeat yourself etc

This is disrespectful to people with legit mental illnesses and try to do something about them.

Edit: being a nazi isn't a mental illness. People choose to make that decision and trying to explain it as "oh they're hosed up in the head" downplays the situation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also LOL JPMorgan downgraded CBS because of Colin Kaepernick:
http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/09/28/bet-against-cbs-amid-nfl-protests-tv-ratings-concerns-jpmorgan.html

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

This is disrespectful to people with legit mental illnesses and try to do something about them.

Edit: being a nazi isn't a mental illness. People choose to make that decision and trying to explain it as "oh they're hosed up in the head" downplays the situation.

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying someone who identifies as a nazi has something wrong with them. For someone to think that it's okay, I think they have to have something wrong with them. It doesn't downplay the severity of what they're doing at all and it also doesn't make it okay. It can be both things.

e: that is to say that they can choose to be a nazi but I believe that's born of mental illness. There's several types of mental illnesses.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 5, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh hey schitt's creek season 3 just came out

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Because their numbers are olds who fall asleep and don't turn off the tv.

That's not a very lucrative audience base.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Joey Freshwater posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying someone who identifies as a nazi has something wrong with them. For someone to think that it's okay, I think they have to have something wrong with them. It doesn't downplay the severity of what they're doing at all and it also doesn't make it okay. It can be both things.

e: that is to say that they can choose to be a nazi but I believe that's born of mental illness. There's several types of mental illnesses.

This is loving stupid

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

3 DONG HORSE posted:

This is loving stupid

I know this is a long shot but wanna explain why instead of being an rear end about it?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

3 DONG HORSE posted:

This is loving stupid

Social intervention can fix any societal issue except white supremecy. What a stupid conclusion.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Galactic Brain: don't offend Nazis by calling them mentally ill

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just picked up DOOM again after not playing it for who knows how long. I dunno why I ever stopped this game rules.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

It's possible for people to make horrifying decisions without being hosed in the brain. As someone with an actually serious mental disorder, it's offensive as hell to suggest that you can only be a Nazi if you are also mentally ill.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Swallow a loving bullet ya oval office : http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/george-zimmerman-homeless-suffering-ptsd-report-article-1.1615673

That applies to all nazis, but not the mentally ill. They get unfairly stigmatized in society and it's the... say, 6th(?) biggest problem with american healthcare. Pretty high up the list really.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i've maintained that streaming services are gonna be ruined by them costing more money and less content per provider and more of them coming to frutition and it looks like we're on our way

in lighter news

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/916062768700252161

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Vertical Lime posted:

i've maintained that streaming services are gonna be ruined by them costing more money and less content per provider and more of them coming to frutition and it looks like we're on our way

in lighter news

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/916062768700252161

At some point it could cost more to have all the streaming services than it would be to have a cable subscription. What a world!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

seiferguy posted:

At some point it could cost more to have all the streaming services than it would be to have a cable subscription. What a world!

Finally the a la carte world dumbasses were arguing for for the last 15 fifteen years.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

It's possible for people to make horrifying decisions without being hosed in the brain. As someone with an actually serious mental disorder, it's offensive as hell to suggest that you can only be a Nazi if you are also mentally ill.

How do you feel - and I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat here, I'm legitimately asking because I'm interested in your viewpoint - how do you feel about the classifications of sociopathy and psychopathy as mental illness too? Because disorders that involve a loss or lack of empathy sure sound like the sorts of things that can contribute to unacceptable decisions and criminal behavior, etc. Like, would it be better to somehow differentiate between "disorders that make people be terrible people" vs. "disorders that simply disadvantage people"?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

3 DONG HORSE posted:

JFC, you're acting like I said whatever disorder you have is what causes someone else to be a nazi. There are countless types of mental disorders and I'm saying that doing something so hosed up like being a nazi could be one of them.

That's like me saying a child that randomly kills small animals born from anger issues and thinking that's a mental disorder and you getting offended because you have OCD (as an example). It's not the same thing. Stop being offended for no reason.

e: Leperfish said it better

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 5, 2017

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

E: I'm just stressed from work, gently caress arguing. Brb gonna be a Nazi now because it's in my blood

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 5, 2017

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I don't think being a nazi is a mental illness. There's a coherent ideology —we must ensure our race's survival and superiority. I don't think finding that ideology appealing makes you mentally ill, but I know very little about mental health also so these are words you can just skip haha

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I know very little about mental health also so these are words you can just skip haha

Nobody in America knows poo poo about mental health. Keeping it secret is vital to being treated like a human instead of a leper in this wonderful country.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Xboner goons, is Destiny 2 worth it? I was thinking about making that purchase next weekend. Do you see yourself playing long term?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Kalli posted:

Swallow a loving bullet ya oval office : http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/george-zimmerman-homeless-suffering-ptsd-report-article-1.1615673

That applies to all nazis, but not the mentally ill. They get unfairly stigmatized in society and it's the... say, 6th(?) biggest problem with american healthcare. Pretty high up the list really.

And probably the leading cause of homelessness more than anything else, though I have no stats to back that up, just seems to be the case. Leperflesh can own me on that with a wiki if he so wishes.

There's a woman running for city council where I live who doesn't have the most fleshed out platform on her site compared to others, but she's not spouting centerist nonsense and she has a background in mental healthcare, so she has my vote.

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Bought Nixonland for some light vacation reading, will report back.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying someone who identifies as BLM has something wrong with them. For someone to think that it's okay, I think they have to have something wrong with them. It doesn't downplay the severity of what they're doing at all and it also doesn't make it okay. It can be both things.

e: that is to say that they can choose to be BLM but I believe that's born of mental illness. There's several types of mental illnesses.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Xboner goons, is Destiny 2 worth it? I was thinking about making that purchase next weekend. Do you see yourself playing long term?

I haven't played it yet but I have two friends that have it and they won't shut up about it.

But then they also loved the first one and played it for forever, so take that for what it's worth.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

I haven't played it yet but I have two friends that have it and they won't shut up about it.

But then they also loved the first one and played it for forever, so take that for what it's worth.

I never played the first, lol. I might just wait longer. I don't know anyone in real life who is still playing since release and that worries me a bit.

Also ignore the lost above yours, I promise I'm over it now!!!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying someone who identifies as BLM has something wrong with them. For someone to think that it's okay, I think they have to have something wrong with them. It doesn't downplay the severity of what they're doing at all and it also doesn't make it okay. It can be both things.

e: that is to say that they can choose to be BLM but I believe that's born of mental illness. There's several types of mental illnesses.

As someone with the initials BLM I'm incredibly offended by this and you should be ashamed of yourself.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Butt lickers matter

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
You hear stories of reformed former KKK / Neo-Nazis, who basically come to terms with the fact that they've swallowed a hate filled ideology and can change their mind. Acceptance of those ideologies is culturally influenced, either from their parents, or close friends growing up.

That's not the same as someone with a legit chemical inbalance in their brain that saps the pleasure from their life, or makes them act weird when they don't want to.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Probably Magic posted:

And probably the leading cause of homelessness more than anything else, though I have no stats to back that up, just seems to be the case. Leperflesh can own me on that with a wiki if he so wishes.

There's a woman running for city council where I live who doesn't have the most fleshed out platform on her site compared to others, but she's not spouting centerist nonsense and she has a background in mental healthcare, so she has my vote.

Well, Reagan closed the mental hospitals (which had problems of their own) without funding the community mental health centers and gutting funding for treatment and housing. There's lots of people on the street that should be receiving care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Thank you Ronald Reagan! Your legacy is intact.

• Locked thread