Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

I know someone who used to work at the DoT as an auditor, working on (among other things) trucking safety and incident numbers. She is to this day deathly terrified of at-grade crossings.

e: of course I sent this to her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Hubis posted:

I know someone who used to work at the DoT as an auditor, working on (among other things) trucking safety and incident numbers. She is to this day deathly terrified of at-grade crossings.

A few years ago there was a blizzard near Montreal and the lights/ding sounds for the crossing never turned on, though the barriers went down. Someone was stuck on the rail unbeknownst to them and they never stood a chance. I hate such crossings and usually slow down and look both sides before I go through them. :v:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hubis posted:

yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTi6F95yT4E

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

HAmbONE posted:

That is an animated train right?

In Soviet Russia, crossing levels you.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

That post/username combo

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That post/username combo

god damnit i didn't even think about that

sometimes i regret taking the plunge on a random name change

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That post/username combo

Good on him for using a flared base as well.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

This is really pleasing to see.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
What's that process called in English?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

cornholing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

I don't believe you :thunk:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jerry Cotton posted:

Saturday night.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Peetown Manning posted:

lol thats so loving pathetic. good thing my guys just run saws over with skid steers. I'm sensing that it was a left handed person because that angle is so retarded.

The chainsaw looks so shiny and spotless... I think this is a case of an over-eager new chainsaw owner: "what do you mean I should read the manual, it's just a matter of revving up the saw and pushing the chain into the trunk, nothing to it!"

This link has both a description of the right way to cut a tree with a chainsaw, and a 5-picture series describing another wrong way to do it:
http://www.rprtrees.com/services/tree-services

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sorry to ruin it for you.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Powershift posted:

Sorry to ruin it for you.

I'm not sure that's any better.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

A few years ago there was a blizzard near Montreal and the lights/ding sounds for the crossing never turned on, though the barriers went down. Someone was stuck on the rail unbeknownst to them and they never stood a chance. I hate such crossings and usually slow down and look both sides before I go through them. :v:

I work for a Member of Parliament, and our government is currently removing 50 of them. Two are in our electorate. Multiple times a week I have to deal with people insisting they're not time-consuming (down for 30 minutes of the daily two hour peak period) and perfectly safe (two children under the age of 12 have been killed, one person suffered permanent brain damage) and "if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about."

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Russia's answer to FIFA's complaint that there isn't enough seating for the 2018 world cup.

I have concerns.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

don't post onion articles unsourced, TIA

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Swaging. Tube swaging in this case.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

WHY IS IT DRIPPING :gonk:

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Would you prefer no lubrication?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Dewgy posted:

Lots of lube. You're not going to be able to jam it in there dry.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Dewgy posted:

Oil for lubrication

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Master Twig posted:

Lots of lube. You're not going to be able to jam it in there dry.

Yeah you'd just weld the pieces together.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Docking.

E: Safesearch off

spog fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 6, 2017

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jerry Cotton posted:

Givin' the business

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dewgy posted:

Because if you stretch it that much without lube you're liable to tear something.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

don't post onion articles unsourced, TIA

I mean, uhh, how about a tweet from the verified FIFA World cup account?

https://twitter.com/FIFAWorldCup/status/913036518809374720

Those extensions are on each side and they're pure, 100% scaffolding underneath them.

It's OK though, because a FIFA spokesman said

quote:

Inspection visits and detailed reports have shown that the temporary seats in the Ekaterinburg Arena fully comply with all safety and security requirements

and I absolutely trust anything anyone from FIFA says to be complete self-serving bullshit that only respects whoever is paying them the most bribe money

edit: Oh Russia, never change.

Fire erupts at Russian World Cup stadium

https://twitter.com/BreakingNNow/status/915982476299853826

quote:

Stroytransgaz, the contractor building the 45,000-seat venue, revealed in a statement it started in the stadium's stands after a welding spark ignited polystyrene debris.

"The incident has no impact on construction and the deadline for the stadium's completion," the statement read.

:allears:

Memento fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 6, 2017

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Least he received a decent burial.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Memento posted:

edit: Oh Russia, never change.
In never does.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Russia also seems to have these wacky ramps that are set into the road and which pop up to block people from entering the railway crossing when a train is approaching. Of course, Russian drivers and cyclists always think they can beat the train so they try to drive around the boom gates and forget that there's a ramp ahead of them and hilarity ensues ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkY5FqEVyzE

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Propaganda Hour posted:

Givin' the business

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlKzA72PpxY&t=4s

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh god the guy bailing out at 6:55

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Russia also seems to have these wacky ramps that are set into the road and which pop up to block people from entering the railway crossing when a train is approaching. Of course, Russian drivers and cyclists always think they can beat the train so they try to drive around the boom gates and forget that there's a ramp ahead of them and hilarity ensues ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkY5FqEVyzE

When they're pulling that BMW out of the car trap at 5:05 that is possibly the ghetto-est thing I've ever seen.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

just noticed... look at the little blue shed on the left. it looks like the crossing was activated manually by that guy that runs out, and then you can see him looking at the crossing as he manually raises the barriers.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you guys joking? that gif-v/webm is fake as hell.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Anta posted:

Good news!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqE-ultsWt0

Elon Musk wants to do intercontinental ballistic passenger service, you can probably send some pizzas that way too!
I'm really looking forward to a future where US and Russian radar operators have to figure out if it's the LAX-Moscow 10:35 or a nuclear attack on a daily basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hedenius posted:

I'm really looking forward to a future where US and Russian radar operators have to figure out if it's the LAX-Moscow 10:35 or a nuclear attack on a daily basis.

I had watched a video about this and that was exactly the first thing that came to mind. That is an ICBM in all but name and when the next data leak hits governments are going to be pissed as hell.

Two people followed up my comment with "They only hire Americans and have background checks", "Elon's electric car has 30% foreign workforce because they don't need the security". But I didn't bother to reply to such level of stupidity.

The costs are going to be astronomical no matter how reusable it is. Even if you could turn it around like a normal passenger jet you have to deal with Concord economics that didn't work even in what is the biggest route for rich assholes that don't have noise problems.

Man rated rockets don't really have a safe abort either other than riding it up until you can detach assuming you don't just explode or the range officer blows you up because you are going to hit a city.

Then you have to deal with weather conditions that are far more constraining that scrub launches all the time.

If this was a passenger service to the moon or space station I would understand but point to point on Earth?