Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Getsuya posted:

I feel like the massive amount of armor dudes in Dark Souls 2 is pushing me into a Strength build to focus on Hammer type stuff. Though I’ve also heard scaling is crap until much later in the game and early levels should go into HP/Stamina/Weight?

At least I’ve hit 20 Dex to use my Old Whip, I just don’t know where to go from here, stat-wise.

Adaptability looks like a trap stat but it's actually the most important stat in the game. It increases your Agility derived stat, which gives you extra invincibility on your rolls at certain breakpoints. I usually aim to have 100 agility on most characters.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/agility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Adaptability is so obscure that people that literally wrote the strategy guide didn't upgrade it because they didn't know

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
adaptibility is the stupidest thing in all of dark souls 2

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Colonel posted:

adaptibility is the stupidest thing in all of dark souls 2

Definitely.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Actually the stupidest thing in Dark Souls 2 is how ugly you look when hollow

The adaptability thing is weird but once you know it you know it, you have to look at your gross-rear end rotting skin forever

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The adaptability thing is weird but once you know it you know it, you have to look at your gross-rear end rotting skin forever

You should almost never have to look at your gross-rear end skin since all souls games are about fashion first

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my fashion souls is alluringly naked

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nate RFB posted:

In some ways 5 might be my favorite game in the series, at least in that I had what I felt was the optimal experience. Someone here had posted a guide that was simply, "at this point in the story, this is who you can recruit and where/how", and nothing else. So I could play the game more or less at my leisure, and just check at each major checkpoint to pick these fellows up. As much as I love 2 I've had to replay it something like 3 times over the years because each time I would progress in such a way that felt ultimately unsatisfying and necessitated going back to "do it right". Perhaps if I had had such a guide for my first run of 2 that I had for 5 this would've been different, but alas.

I also think it's kind of BS that you don't get that one cool story with the sniper (I sadly forget the name) unless you rush through the story. When I finally had a run of Suikoden II that I felt satisfied with it was only when I both had a guide and used a gameshark code to permanently keep the playtime low.

To be fair, the time limit with Clive is fairly generous since S2 isn't really that long of a game. It's only if you want to farm for some of the runes that break the game that makes the time limit super tight. One thing I like about that quest is that it's thematically appropriate with the themes of the game.

Also, I found out you can do the money glitch with any piece of armor in the armorer. So you can get the armorer early, run back to your castle and don't have to worry about money anymore. The Rare Finds mechanic and the War battles are still pretty bad though.

5 was pretty excellent, and they really polished a lot of mechanics there. The best thing is how they try to include all the characters in the plot and don't just forget about them.

It does have a few problems though. The political intrigue and backstabbing at the start was pretty good, but it's disappointing it got dropped soon after. I also felt like the antagonists were the weakest part. The Barrows were a complete joke, and the Godwins and their faction are laughably one-note. Sialeeds' heel turn didn't made sense, and Gizel was too cyptic and smug to be interesting.

It also felt like it referenced the previous games way too much in some areas. Like seeing the people who knew your cook in S2 was cute and it was cool seeing Georg's backstory get expanded on, but the conflict between the people from three towns was lifted wholesale from S2. And Childerich was Luca Blight Lite, without any of the interesting backstory and motivation.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
suikoden 3 is the best

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sialeed "betrayed" you because it's the only way to kill everyone from the inside without ruining the prince's reputation.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Adaptability looks like a trap stat but it's actually the most important stat in the game. It increases your Agility derived stat, which gives you extra invincibility on your rolls at certain breakpoints. I usually aim to have 100 agility on most characters.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/agility

So all those times I thought I had clearly rolled through an enemy attack only to get clipped by it were due to lack of Agility. Good to know.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I liked Suikoden 2 the most, but 5 was probably my second favourite. Luca Blight is still the best villain of the series, in large part because of his incredible boss fight sequence.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Adaptability is the second stupidest thing about Dark Souls 2

The stupidest is the soul memory system

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Actually the stupidest thing about Dark Souls 2 is Gavlan.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Adaptability is the second stupidest thing about Dark Souls 2

The stupidest is the soul memory system
Is that the thing which increases your effective PVP matchmaking level or whatever it was whenever you collect souls, regardless of if you die immediately afterward and lose them?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

you are, but for clive's quest, you want to blow through all the areas as quickly as possible with as little trouble as you can manage. nothing says speed like one-shotting bosses with fourth-level spells that you shouldn't have until nearly the end of the game.

turning every encounter into Let Go instead of Parley or Run, and condensing every 5-10min boss battle into a single round (at least until the game balance expects you go have 2+ fourth-level spells on multiple characters in a single party) is huge and i think you're grossly overlooking how much of a difference that makes in your overall time.

I've used the matilda trick (and recruited Humphrey+Fitch since it doesn't break your game as long as you finish their quest) on runs before and know how useful it is. You can still do Clive's quest without matilda grind or regular grind though. And his quest is far, far less bullshit than the squirrels, since the first one is a star (IIRC) and I believe they become permanently missable after a certain point. Both ways to recruit them is utter bullshit too and I can't recall either method being hinted at in game.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Tae posted:

Sialeed "betrayed" you because it's the only way to kill everyone from the inside without ruining the prince's reputation.

Ohhh, I forgot about that part. That makes a lot more sense. The bit I remembered was her wanting to get killed by the prince so that she can't be used as a political tool against Lym. I thought it didn't make sense since one of Sialeeds' sibling/cousin became a spiritual leader and no one was using her.

Heartcatch posted:

I liked Suikoden 2 the most, but 5 was probably my second favourite. Luca Blight is still the best villain of the series, in large part because of his incredible boss fight sequence.

I loved that sequence since it really sold you the fact that Luca is a monster in battle.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've used the matilda trick (and recruited Humphrey+Fitch since it doesn't break your game as long as you finish their quest) on runs before and know how useful it is. You can still do Clive's quest without matilda grind or regular grind though. And his quest is far, far less bullshit than the squirrels, since the first one is a star (IIRC) and I believe they become permanently missable after a certain point. Both ways to recruit them is utter bullshit too and I can't recall either method being hinted at in game.

There's an NPC in Greenhill that tells you how to get the Squirrels, and even Richmond tells you how to get them. They're not permanently missable, and I got the other 4 when I got to the final dungeon. The bullshit part is that I'm pretty sure you can't get them to spawn if you're in the middle of a plot, so you could be wasting time trying to get them. And I think if you just got one of the squirrels you need to save/reload the game to get the next one to spawn.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

suikoden 3 is pretty good imo. the worst thing about it is that you get the fast travel option in the literal last act of the game, which wouldn't have been a problem if it had a world map like the other games, instead of zones.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Roobanguy posted:

suikoden 3 is pretty good imo. the worst thing about it is that you get the fast travel option in the literal last act of the game, which wouldn't have been a problem if it had a world map like the other games, instead of zones.

The pairing system it used for combat was kinda dumb. The mirror being so late in the game, coupled with how awful travel is without it, is definitely the worst part of the game though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Adaptability was dumb but if it's the price you pay for no mid roll I'll take it. Of course DS3 and Bloodborne have neither so. BB did have a weird encumbrance system that got patched out after five minutes though.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't die? also the DLC makes you not hollow so??

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Getsuya posted:

So all those times I thought I had clearly rolled through an enemy attack only to get clipped by it were due to lack of Agility. Good to know.

Theoretically, with good enough timing, you don't need any adaptability

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Both ways to recruit them is utter bullshit too and I can't recall either method being hinted at in game.

100% recruit rate on the red squirrel is hinted at during the intro, not that the player really gets any indication investigating the tree once will work

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I decided to stop playing Blue Reflection in the interest of my sanity. There are TWELVE different girls that have their own introduction chapter (called intermissions) and then each individual one has their own side events. That doesn't even count the optional missions (which provide skill points.) They wanted each Reflector(magical girl) to have 4 support characters in the final battle but the story just drags on. The game is made for someone who likes side events and playing a NG+++++ of Persona with a LV99 character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hell yeah

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

hell yeah

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dehry posted:

The game is made for someone who likes side events and playing a NG+++++ of Persona with a LV99 character.

And for those who like to spend 80 bucks on a season pass consisting of nothing but outfits.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Renoistic posted:

And for those who like to spend 80 bucks on a season pass consisting of nothing but outfits.

Hi. Though I'll pass on Blue Reflection.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

hell yeah

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Renoistic posted:

Fortunately they don't force you at gun point to do this

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Suikoden's leveling system/grinding

I loved that your lower level characters would catch up in levels after 5 fights or so and then after a few more you could just choose "let go" and not have to fight the enemies.
Plus battles themselves were pretty fast.

Suikoden 3 never came out in the UK so I've still never managed to play it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you have a PS3 you can but Suikoden 3 on the UK PSN store right now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sakurazuka posted:

If you have a PS3 you can but Suikoden 3 on the UK PSN store right now.

If only they'd put it on Steam. Or the switch I guess.
That's all I have.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

hell yeah

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Suikoden 5 becomes about 10 times more enjoyable once you get a champion rune because yeah the encounter rate and loading times are atrocious. I wonder if theres a way to cheat it in

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wonder if the loadtimes were better on PCSX2 (where I played it), because I don't really remember it being much of an issue.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!
suikoden 4 was actually fun adn had cool characters and i beat it and new game+'d it like 3 times, this post is not a joke

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Dehry posted:

I decided to stop playing Blue Reflection in the interest of my sanity. There are TWELVE different girls that have their own introduction chapter (called intermissions) and then each individual one has their own side events. That doesn't even count the optional missions (which provide skill points.) They wanted each Reflector(magical girl) to have 4 support characters in the final battle but the story just drags on. The game is made for someone who likes side events and playing a NG+++++ of Persona with a LV99 character.

now extremely interested in blue reflection

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nate RFB posted:

I wonder if the loadtimes were better on PCSX2 (where I played it), because I don't really remember it being much of an issue.

pcsx2 does improve load times a lot in games, people talk a lot about how bad they are in like harvest moon: a wonderful life se and tales of the abyss and i don't remember them being longer than a few seconds in pcsx2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Best load time reduction was Crisis Core on a PSP emulator. Instant battle loading made that game 100x better.