Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

DICK DICER posted:

Also dad sent me some money so I invested it wisely

Is that white toast? Goddammit V-Town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Real Name Grover posted:

Steak with a side of milquetoast

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Real Name Grover posted:

Wheat is a vegetable.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Dannywilson posted:

Some people buy bottle service at the strip club, I get my voyeuristic action from this thread.

Does...does that mean you added cameras to the shower?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Real Name Grover posted:

*Texas Toast* thank you very much.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Dannywilson posted:

Sounds like it works all the way down to 2.5psi and Dick has a actual spigot hookup, so we'll see. Like I don't think it'd work with a gravity feed, but here's hoping.

PSI and inH2O are a direct conversion. Looks like he'd need ~70 inches of water height gravity fed to hit 2.5 PSI.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Rain barrel on top of the camper roof. Let's test the wiffletree.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

90s Cringe Rock posted:

So what is the gamma radiation range in air?

You wouldn't like me when I'm horny :unsmigghh:

Woke up toasty warm with the thermostat set to its lowest setting

Owns. Bones.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Real Name Grover posted:

It was texas toast so saturated with butter it collapsed under its own weight, it was v tasty

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/asaCO.php

No audible alarm though...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How long can a heater run on a can of propane? The diesel eberspacher in my bus used about a half gallon a day, up to a full gallon when it was below freezing. That's like $3/day of full time running.

I mean, too late now in the game, just for personal reference.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I think 26 continuous hours of full bore heat out of one tank was the number bandied about last night.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

How low does the thermostat go Dave?

What did you have it set at, and do you have any feeling for how long it ran last night?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Get the other tank filled. Then build a simple lever scale, using the full tank and rocks of known weight to calculate daily usage down to the ounce.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

angryrobots posted:

Get the other tank filled. Then build a simple lever scale, using the full tank and rocks of known weight to calculate daily usage down to the ounce.

Or just get a bucket full of water and a sharpie and see how more buoyant the empty becomes over a given time. Then if you wanted to get really silly you could figure out the mass difference by converting ml water to grams and blah blah blah.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

DICK DICER posted:

It was texas toast so saturated with butter it collapsed under its own weight, it was v tasty

In that case, gently caress yeah

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

90s Cringe Rock posted:

gently caress if I know, I ain't brave enough to click that without setting up a jail inside a fbsd vm first.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tremek posted:

How low does the thermostat go Dave?

What did you have it set at, and do you have any feeling for how long it ran last night?

I had it set at 60, woke up comfortable, and from memory it was at about a 30-40% duty cycle. Turned it off this morning, but the pilot light is still on I believe so I may need to reevaluate full shut downs

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gamma radiation is ionizing. It interacts with atoms as it passes through a material. It's far less interactive than beta or alpha rays, meaning, it readily passes through stuff like lead, whereas beta doesn't, and alpha can be blocked even by skin.

The total absorption of gamma rays by air, then, is similar to any other material, in that intensity of the gamma rays falls off exponentially with distance from the source. In this sense, then, "range" needs some specified minimum level, because that exponential fall-off curve would not (I think) have any limit. E.g., you could be a billion light years away and there's still some chance that eventually one photon of radiation from that source will arrive.

I'm probably technically wrong about that, but the point is still basically valid: you'd have to say something like "what is the range at which a gamma radiation source is no longer potentially harmful to a human being" or perhaps "at what range would a source become practically undetectable" or something like that.

And the answer to that question is dependent on three factors: the absorption coefficiency of air, the number of atoms per volume of the air (which itself depends on pressure and temperature), and the absorption cross-section (how large of a surface are you checking for the radiation to be hitting).

But wait, there's more! It also matters how energetic the gamma radiation is. See, gamma particles can have hugely different energies, ranging from extremely low up to over 10TeV for some astronomical sources, and the mechanism by which the radiation interacts with matter and loses its energy affects the absorption coefficient curve (that first factor I mentioned).

So for example, Wikipedia helpfully shows us the coefficient of absorption of aluminum:

The photoelectric effect dominates below 50 keV, Compton scattering is more important in the range of ~100 keV to 10 MeV, and Pair Production (in which an electron and positron are created by the gamma ray hitting matter, which is awsome) dominates at energies above 10 MeV.

So the answer to the question

90s Cringe Rock posted:

is, really, "it depends."

For more reading, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_ray

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Elephanthead posted:

Rain barrel on top of the camper roof. Let's test the wiffletree.

Get you a real bush shower.

From a field camp we set up at a cattle station last winter. I say "winter" but it's still 90° freedom degrees every day in the Northern Territory that time of year (July). Water in the bottom tank boils, feeds the top tank which then gravity-feeds the shower. There's a relief valve on the top tank in case the pressure gets too high.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
God loving drat it another 2 flats due to goat heads, and I have single handedly cleared Valentine entirely out of all 700c tubes in any size

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Are there any milk jugs or political signs you can cut into strips to put inside the tire? Like a ghetto tube armor. I"ve done it before with duct tape and playing cards cut in half lengthwise, too.

tl;dr my nigga have you heard of slime

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Have slime tubes on my work shitter.

No flats in 2 years, a+

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I run these on my mountain bike because I used to get thorns in both tires every single time I went out.
They're a little heavy but they work wonders, no flats since.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have those too because I ride on the beach and got flats all the time. Not one flat since, poo poo works.

Dick aren't there tire liners where you get your tubes? I got mine at fuckin walmart.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I have those too because I ride on the beach and got flats all the time. Not one flat since, poo poo works.

Dick aren't there tire liners where you get your tubes? I got mine at fuckin walmart.

Or just a patch kit?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I've got liners in both tires. Nebraska wants me dead.

BECAUSE NOW THE loving GEESE ARE HERE

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hey man, goose is good eatin'

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its fatty as gently caress if you dont do it right though

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The geese are just looking for a hot shower.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

DICK DICER posted:

https://youtu.be/aOxheDoks_Y

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
of brine.....

then the fire awaits

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

its fatty as gently caress if you dont do it right though

on a grill, over a pan to catch the grease, you mean? because gently caress yeah they're fatty, that's half the reason they're good eatin'

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Leperflesh posted:

on a grill, over a pan to catch the grease, you mean? because gently caress yeah they're fatty, that's half the reason they're good eatin'

this poster knows whats up.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DICK DICER posted:

Why not just go with solid tires at this point? The like 10-15% efficiency loss would probably be more than made up by not getting flats anymore.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

DICK DICER posted:

Somebody get this man a broomstick!

:getin:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

Or just a patch kit?

Yeah I was thinking that too.....Dave did you keep all the old tubes? On a rainy day or something sit in the camper and patch them all up while you listen to death metal.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Plinkey posted:

Why not just go with solid tires at this point? The like 10-15% efficiency loss would probably be more than made up by not getting flats anymore.

Whats that going to do for the goose situation

Also How do I get liquid nails name brand off anything I didn't want it all over, like, say for example loving everything within a 6 foot radius of the work area

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

Somebody get this man a broomstick!

:getin:

IT SPECIFICALLY SAYS ON THE PACKAGE FOR HUMAN USE ONLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I know we're all horsing around and having a laff but please don't kill geese you need a hunting license.

• Locked thread