Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The Assassins are the contrarian party and all they really stand for is opposing the Templars. Luckily, there is no form of exploitation or evil that isn't directly linked to the Templars.

I watched the IGN review for Shadow of War and I think I'll pass. Some neat stuff in there,Maureen, but we all know there'll be a GOTY edition in a flash sale by this time next year. I can wait.

edit for the snipe: I have a pretty loose knowledge of the AC lore; I'm no scholar. But the fact that they have fought the Templars with surgical murders throughout time and continue to lose ground is a pretty good illustration about how violence solves nothing. Now Wolfenstine, there's a fable I can get behind.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

chumbler posted:

What if...

both the assassins and templars are wrong?
best story 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it was around the time of Rogue when it really hit me the massive mountains of junk fiction and lore that have been written for the rear end Creedence franchise. They got so far up their own rear end with the Assassin/Templar nonsense that its actively overshadowed any of the cool historical stuff you're supposed to have a hand in.

That being said I started Syndicate after a long break from the series and I kinda like it. Almost certainly skipping Origins though.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

chumbler posted:

What if...

both the assassins and templars are wrong?

A secret third group is correct, and now they resell you all the previous games but from the third point of view.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

to be fair if you're going to try the "rip off a game with a copycat to churn out some $$$$" you could do worse than taking a shot at witcher 3

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not really, cuz once the general population realizes that there will be nothing but comparisons between the two. And you do not want to be compared/contrasted with The Witcher 3. You will not leave the venn diagram alive.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

As long as Assassin's Creed games keep going to settings that few to no games have touched, I will always have at least a baseline admiration for what they're doing

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ah yes an Egyptian desert, a setting that has never been in a game before.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The day they set an Assassin's Creed game in world war 2 is the day we know it has truly jumped the shark.

Internet Kraken posted:

How many games focus on the egyptian civilization in the egyptian desert, instead of just big pyramids that contain floating fireballs and/or endless hordes of horse skeletons

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

don't worry in two years the next assassin's creed reboot will be based heavily on breath of the wild

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Ancient Egypt is legit cool, though. Now if only it involved biomechanical gods and was actually Zone of the Enders 3.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Internet Kraken posted:

Please name another AAA game set in Ptolemaic Egypt. I'll wait.

(The tourist mode is legit one of the things I'm most excited about for AssOrg. I mean I probably won't play the game until 2018 but still)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Colonel posted:

a hat in time is a game that makes me feel any emotion, so it's already more of a game than yooka-laylee

Yup. It's insanely cute too. I'm 4 time pieces in and it's a lot of fun.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think people say Yooka Laylee is very good since they patched it but I don't know if I believe them

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm still mad that they shuffled off China and India to those terrible side scrollers no one played. A Three-Kingdoms era assassin's creed would be loving radical

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I think people say Yooka Laylee is very good since they patched it but I don't know if I believe them

While I'm sure it's better there's not much they can do about the lifeless level design and characters

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Help Im Alive posted:

apparently the controls are technically a lot better but the general movement in that game just felt dull to start with and patches won't fix every level and character being absolutely loving devoid of life and creativity

a hat in time is cool cause even if it was as much of a technical mess as yooka-laylee launched, there's like a visible spark to everything that makes it more than just a mediocre clone of better 3d platformers. unfortunately there is also jontron and i'll never be able to look at the receptionist in world 2 the same way ever again

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a hat in time more like a jontron, in the game !!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Body of assassinated Russian diplomat used in 'Batman' video game

Not linking the tweet itself here because it's got a dead dude right on it but the new Telltale game cropped out and used Andrei Karlov's body in a scene completely out of nowhere. Whoops.

Here's a tweet with the exact picture they used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yza4-liC24&t=1206s

And here's where it appears in the game (timestamp).

How did they do this. Was it an accident. Did they think it was a stock photo. how

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 6, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
What an easter egg

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

batman has to face his most powerful enemy ever, the elite cabal of russian oligarchs that secretly control the world

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

More problematic than Heineken in Dark Souls 2, though somehow much less embarrassing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

How did they do this. Was it an accident. Did they think it was a stock photo. how

Some lazy artist and his bosses didn't catch it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't understand, did they need an image of a dead guy to overlay on their background image and someone on the art staff just did a Google image search and decided that one would do?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
GIS "Dead Man in Suit" great I'm a game developer dad!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
--Use Google Stock Image--
[-Use Image Of Assassinated Russian Diplomat-]

Your Boss Will Remember This

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“ufarn”" post="“477093680”"]
I know, but I thought I’d try giving a not-Steam a chance, especially since MS are doubling down on the Win10 games.
[/quote]

:psyduck:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

GIS "Dead Man in Suit" great I'm a game developer dad!
hmm script says I need a pic of a dead guy here oh well *loads up ogrish.com*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

raditts posted:

I don't understand, did they need an image of a dead guy to overlay on their background image and someone on the art staff just did a Google image search and decided that one would do?

Often times game devs will use real photos with the plan to trace over them with models/CG work or whatever later. The shots of the earth and the moon and such in Sonic Adventure 2 are just traced over NASA photos, for instance, and there are portraits in... I think Eternal Darkness? That are just stock photos traced over by an artist.

So odds are someone put that in there as a placeholder and then nobody ever had the time to go make the actual asset.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

raditts posted:

Often times game devs will use real photos with the plan to trace over them with models/CG work or whatever later. The shots of the earth and the moon and such in Sonic Adventure 2 are just traced over NASA photos, for instance, and there are portraits in... I think Eternal Darkness? That are just stock photos traced over by an artist.

So odds are someone put that in there as a placeholder and then nobody ever had the time to go make the actual asset.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
two posts, and neither of them at 04:20. drat...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

raditts posted:

Yep.

Makes you wonder how much poo poo doesn't even get caught. Its the same as companies using pirated software, or less obvious open-source libraries while not following the terms of the licence. Tons of people are probably getting away with that.

The artist probably just found the image and thought it was from a movie or something. Regardless its copyrighted so lol but not everybody even knows about copyright or cares.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thinking about DMing a trpg for my brother's kids next time I see them, what a bad idea lmao... maybe dungeon world??

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

thinking about DMing a trpg for my brother's kids next time I see them, what a bad idea lmao... maybe dungeon world??

DMing for kids is really fun since they get really into it.

Dungeon world is pretty good for kids.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This happened last year with Uncharted having concept art from AssCreed in its trailer. When you're working with thousands of assets it's difficult to catch every single one. I knew of the assassination, but never saw a picture so if I was QA'ing the game it'd be like whatever.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

al-azad posted:

This happened last year with Uncharted having concept art from AssCreed in its trailer. When you're working with thousands of assets it's difficult to catch every single one. I knew of the assassination, but never saw a picture so if I was QA'ing the game it'd be like whatever.

Don't worry, neogaf determined that it was okay because ubisoft should consider themselves lucky that Naughty Dog deigned to use their art in their masterpiece.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
look i like minsc but someone please explain to me his obsession with twice-baked bread

v i... i don't think minsc can count to two

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 6, 2017

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

The White Dragon posted:

look i like minsc but someone please explain to me his obsession with twice-baked bread

bread becomes good if you bake it
so logically, twice baked bread is twice as good.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
toast is p. good

Thanks to HotSoapyBeard for the sig image!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Watching the GB quick look of the SNES Classic and Jeff thinking that Ghouls and Ghosts and Super Ghouls and Ghosts were the same game is literally killing me. I am dead now.

• Locked thread